I love early history

Deepwaterjew

Young prophet
Reaction score
Awards
there's just something to them, the village-cities of the cucutani trypillia, the mastery of the balearic slingers, the journey of the agricultural men towards europe, the fashion of the minoans and the brutality of the assyrians, and all of the may other peoples of the neolithic-bronze age just get my noggin joggin. Do you have some early civilization that you loved? how were the people of your region were at the time? pic related is the thinker of cernavoda, an artpiece that I find fascinating

Attachments

• 3c445653ac486f1e0fa2cd3eebf82b01.jpg
    3c445653ac486f1e0fa2cd3eebf82b01.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,043
Virtual Cafe Awards

s0ren

who cares
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I never really got into early history outside of a brief understanding of the Minoans as part of studying classics. Any place you recommend to start?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deepwaterjew

Young prophet
Reaction score
Awards
I never really got into early history outside of a brief understanding of the Minoans as part of studying classics. Any place you recommend to start?
well for starters, I would recommend checking Epimetheus on youtube for all your bronze age needs, Dan davis if you want to get nearer to the neolithic. I checked out History time if I want to get an hour out of my day about some specific culture, and to end Stefan milo for the earliest of the earliest. Any videos of them will do! but I suggest keeping to the levant

Virtual Cafe Awards

s0ren

who cares
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
well for starters, I would recommend checking Epimetheus on youtube for all your bronze age needs, Dan davis if you want to get nearer to the neolithic. I checked out History time if I want to get an hour out of my day about some specific culture, and to end Stefan milo for the earliest of the earliest. Any videos of them will do! but I suggest keeping to the levant
I'll give them a chance when I have time. To be honest, I don't really watch that many videos. I mostly just read things. If you have any books that are good, that would be appreciated too.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deepwaterjew

Young prophet
Reaction score
Awards
I'll give them a chance when I have time. To be honest, I don't really watch that many videos. I mostly just read things. If you have any books that are good, that would be appreciated too.
maybe it's a bit long, but sapiens( by Noah harari) kind of explains it, but it's mostly just the whole history of the world I guess. I also found some papers on academia.edu about some findings, but that's mostly archeology

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kommando

Buibol 99
Reaction score
Awards
there's just something to them, the village-cities of the cucutani trypillia, the mastery of the balearic slingers, the journey of the agricultural men towards europe, the fashion of the minoans and the brutality of the assyrians, and all of the may other peoples of the neolithic-bronze age just get my noggin joggin. Do you have some early civilization that you loved? how were the people of your region were at the time? pic related is the thinker of cernavoda, an artpiece that I find fascinating
It's before detailed records of history that fill in the blanks but after obscura and speculation so we know it happened, and cultures that while still similar to what would come a hundred years after it ended were more "down-to-earth" and relatively began.

Virtual Cafe Awards

s0ren

who cares
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
maybe it's a bit long, but sapiens( by Noah harari) kind of explains it, but it's mostly just the whole history of the world I guess. I also found some papers on academia.edu about some findings, but that's mostly archeology
Sounds good, both Sapiens and Homo Deus have been on my reading list for a while. After grad school no book is too long haha

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

I find it absolutely fascinating learning about early history through the fragmentary lens of myths and old religious beliefs. Near East and Egyptian mythology fascinate me endlessly. Plus, I love your quote from Paradise Lost! It's among my favorite epic poems.

Pandemonium.JPG

TheFifth

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Wow I love history, from ancient to modern but I'd have to say reformation history and the history of Christianity are my favorite things to learn about. Good to see some other non stem field nerds here.

Virtual Cafe Awards

alix

Empress of the Transburg Dinasty
Reaction score
Awards
Website
alixxd.neocities.org
I thought I was the only one, all of the civilizations of proto-history have fascinated me since I was a kid. All of their misteries, how they didsapeared, it's just something that I love.
2943.jpg

(Phoenician ruins)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Serf

Existential Nightmare Enjoyer
Reaction score
Awards
As a student of history, I never bothered learning about the Bronze age until a fascination with the Roman collapse and the resulting middle ages prompted me to finally look into the Bronze Age Collapse. The fact that much of Bronze Age theorycrafting involves comparing archaeological evidence to the stories of early religious texts is fascinating. It really is the age of myths and heroes.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kakrime

Wanderer
Reaction score
Awards
ancientarians.png
"You know it to be true..."

An age of unquestioned heroics and unbridled warfare, the dawn of large-scale societies, an age only remembered through fable and allegory.

humanheight.png

It makes you wonder if everything they had pronounced in the myths were true, does it not? Or how many events were not recorded in such myths...

"Homo sapiens" as we know them have only existed for a double hundred thousand years give or take, archaeology and genetics only capture the tip of the iceberg on what they had left behind.

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I feel very >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk about this, but I can't get myself to enjoy ancient history. It all feels so detached, irrelevant and speculative. Even if I understand the inmense significance it has on understanding the human soul... I just can't help finding it boring. Though I'm hoping this attitude of mine changes at some point, I've been warming up to mythology even if I've always found it boring.

Virtual Cafe Awards