naa

I really love the aesthetics of this time period, I don't know what aesthetic I'd call that video, it kinda feels like a blend of stuff. There's a group called The Y2K Aesthetic Institute that catalogues a bunch of content from the '90s-2000s. It's an offshoot of the Consumer Aesthetics Research Institute, which catalogues various aesthetics used to market consumer products. Here's a nice article about Y2K aesthetics from one of the founders

SimplyJojo

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I really love the aesthetics of this time period, I don't know what aesthetic I'd call that video, it kinda feels like a blend of stuff. There's a group called The Y2K Aesthetic Institute that catalogues a bunch of content from the '90s-2000s. It's an offshoot of the Consumer Aesthetics Research Institute, which catalogues various aesthetics used to market consumer products. Here's a nice article about Y2K aesthetics from one of the founders
Thank you so much for this! <3

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Love
Reactions: naa

Merzcat

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I miss the mid 00s
Technology ans gaming seemed so much more interesting back then with unique games coming out all the time and entirely new gsme types being explored, as well as very unique Japanese games being ported to the west.
The world of music was much better back then as streaming didn't exist and piracy was a somewhat niche thing.
The most advanced mobile devices of the time in use by the general public were things like the PSP and those cellphones with the physical keyboards, with smartphones and Web 2.0 not being pushed the internet remained a unique and interesting place.
As some people on the net have said, it was a time of perfect balance between the internet and fleshnet.

View: https://youtu.be/r_pDTtSCUR0

View: https://youtu.be/2mRp3QNkhrc

View: https://youtu.be/v-rtMps9HOM

View: https://youtu.be/hBb8Itha3mY

Virtual Cafe Awards
The early 2000s was a stupid and fun time, the cheesy music videos, the over the top punk fashion. hell, the pop culture wasn't even that bad. It was all a product of it's time, and man do I miss it, the friends, the dumb jokes, the stupid daredevil shit me and my friends would try to do, those chunky ass skate shoes. those were good times.

black-sparta.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

The early 2000s was a stupid and fun time, the cheesy music videos, the over the top punk fashion. hell, the pop culture wasn't even that bad. It was all a product of it's time, and man do I miss it, the friends, the dumb jokes, the stupid daredevil shit me and my friends would try to do, those chunky ass skate shoes. those were good times.

View attachment 4320
thinkin' about these things
osiris shoes.jpg

NW_Cryptid

Transcendent Coalescence
Reaction score
Awards
I think in a lot of ways, a big reason I love the aesthetic is that it has a lot to do with discovery and exploration of a technological future. At the time things were given so much personality and meaning rather than being the same ol same ol we see today. These days people won't do anything that isn't "safe" they aren't willing to take a bet on something that hasn't been done before which is unfortunate considering how in the 00's everything was a gamble. I personally have very fond memories of how things were, how different everything was. Even in the late 90's with things like the Gameboy, having a purple see-through gameboy color was so much cooler than just having a red or blue one. Those were the days when people could express themselves not just with what brands they owned but by what color and shape and size of everything they had. Everything someone owned was a statement piece about who they were and their personality as an aspect of them. We just don't have that anymore. Everything is the same dull color tones, same boring shapes and sizes, same as his, same as hers. I won't argue that conforming is an entirely bad thing, I'm of the belief that being unique within a unified group is the best self you can be, original where it matters; but understanding of others and willing to cooperate. Which is exactly how it felt to whip out a gaming console or cellphone of a brand you and your friends all owned, but with such unique properties that it truly was yours.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I think in a lot of ways, a big reason I love the aesthetic is that it has a lot to do with discovery and exploration of a technological future. At the time things were given so much personality and meaning rather than being the same ol same ol we see today. These days people won't do anything that isn't "safe" they aren't willing to take a bet on something that hasn't been done before which is unfortunate considering how in the 00's everything was a gamble. I personally have very fond memories of how things were, how different everything was. Even in the late 90's with things like the Gameboy, having a purple see-through gameboy color was so much cooler than just having a red or blue one. Those were the days when people could express themselves not just with what brands they owned but by what color and shape and size of everything they had. Everything someone owned was a statement piece about who they were and their personality as an aspect of them. We just don't have that anymore. Everything is the same dull color tones, same boring shapes and sizes, same as his, same as hers. I won't argue that conforming is an entirely bad thing, I'm of the belief that being unique within a unified group is the best self you can be, original where it matters; but understanding of others and willing to cooperate. Which is exactly how it felt to whip out a gaming console or cellphone of a brand you and your friends all owned, but with such unique properties that it truly was yours.
i miss these
old-web, ffrutiger promises (2004-2013)

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
In the early 2000's I finished high school and went to college.
I was so stressed out, and in many ways very stupid, and didn't appreciate it at the time.
But god do I wish we could go back.

Pop culture seemed so dumb, but today it's even dumber.
The post 9/11 world seemed so dire, but today things feel even worse.
The Patriot act was the height of tyranny! But it was just a stepping stone to even more authoritarianism.

---

You know one thing I really miss?
When most people still understood how important freedom of speech was!

I think it was the height of free speech in my lifetime:
  • The Evangelical Christian Conservatives had lost the cultural power to enforce their prudishness and were mocked by comedians.
  • The 80's/90's PC movements from the leftist academics had not gained any traction, and were mocked by comedians.
  • People who got themselves all worked up and offended by things were rightfully mocked as the weak morons the are.
  • It was "anything goes" when it comes to comedy, horror, political discourse. And everyone recognized it as a good thing.
  • Xbox live voice chat.

But then at some point it seems like the progressives realized that the Christians Conservatives didn't have the power to censor anyone anymore, and that was the signal that the left no longer had to pretend to care about free speech. Thus began an ever growing snowball of political correctness which continues to this day and busted open the doors for all sorts of impending speech controls in the name of bullshit like "misinformation", "disinformation" and the new term they made up as an excuse to censor verifiably true things: "malinformation".

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
I recall it being more a trend among girls, a couple years younger than me.
I also recall thinking Avril Levine was fucking hot, even if I didn't particularly care for her music.
totally
if i havent got sister 8y older than me, i think id not like it now lol (i am 24 now, 25 soon - for time spec. but still, kinda everything is 2-5 years behind here, in comparison to Western world lol)
when she got puberty i was little
all the female music, it looked like back then world was more hip and happy
like, (you said) people were more open or sum... (+edit: add) - see this post: https://archive.is/xd7TP, or View: https://twitter.com/MintaReturns/status/1672081890759819264 - you had to have tough skin, as sister taught me in my younger years...
(about missing Old-web)

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
In the early 2000's I finished high school and went to college.
I was so stressed out, and in many ways very stupid, and didn't appreciate it at the time.
But god do I wish we could go back.

Pop culture seemed so dumb, but today it's even dumber.
The post 9/11 world seemed so dire, but today things feel even worse.
The Patriot act was the height of tyranny! But it was just a stepping stone to even more authoritarianism.

---

You know one thing I really miss?
When most people still understood how important freedom of speech was!

I think it was the height of free speech in my lifetime:
  • The Evangelical Christian Conservatives had lost the cultural power to enforce their prudishness and were mocked by comedians.
  • The 80's/90's PC movements from the leftist academics had not gained any traction, and were mocked by comedians.
  • People who got themselves all worked up and offended by things were rightfully mocked as the weak morons the are.
  • It was "anything goes" when it comes to comedy, horror, political discourse. And everyone recognized it as a good thing.
  • Xbox live voice chat.

But then at some point it seems like the progressives realized that the Christians Conservatives didn't have the power to censor anyone anymore, and that was the signal that the left no longer had to pretend to care about free speech. Thus began an ever growing snowball of political correctness which continues to this day and busted open the doors for all sorts of impending speech controls in the name of bullshit like "misinformation", "disinformation" and the new term they made up as an excuse to censor verifiably true things: "malinformation".
Dude you nailed it.

You absolutely nailed how I feel about the 2000s. I also finished high school and also college in this decade.

Our mid gen Y generation was raised on this idea that there were these conservative blockheads running the culture. We were raised to be so sensitive to it.

At some point the progressives realised they completely won the culture war long ago, and over the next decade and a half went rampant with their authoritarianism.

So while I miss the aesthetics of the 2000s, the risk taking innovative tech that wasn't too invasive in life, my youth at the time. The thing that sticks out the most is both sides of the political divide could respect each other's free speech.

It went beyond that too, don't we miss when everything didn't have to be political?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Z0diacK

NOT A SCHIZO
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
For some reason the girls I met that looked like this smelled weird and I really disliked it
Dude the punk chicks really did have a smell.

I was a sweaty nerd though so who was I to judge lol

Virtual Cafe Awards