The future of networked computing

Merzcat

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
So I've been thinking of "cloud computing" lately and one thing that came to mind that really interests Is how networkEd computing will affect storage.
For as long as personal computing has existed people have had to take into consideration the amount of local storage they had available.
In the near future there will come a point where the internet infrastructure will be at a point where everyone will have high speed access wherever they are in the world, at this point the speeds required for true virtual hard drives will be possible.
Within 15 to 20 years the very notion of hard drive space will disappear and with that the concept of hard drive storage.
As storage technology advances virtual drive hosts can scale their business alongside the progression.

And beyond
there are going to be so many things networked computing will benefit

Virtual Cafe Awards

NeoTokyo Tempo

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
idk personally i would prefer to have stuff on personal local hard drives/SSDs. I wouldn't like to trust some random service to keep my stuff safe and also don't trust them not to scan it to sell data to advertisers.
Agreed. I only use cloud for file sharing. They are bound to sell your data. Also, tech companies are without a doubt, going to delete any data they deem to be "Misinformation", or "hate speech". All your pirated data will probably also be wiped, not to mention anything that uses copyrighted content like meme videos and sampled music. AI will only get more powerful over the years, so this would end up being a total disaster.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Merzcat

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Agreed. I only use cloud for file sharing. They are bound to sell your data. Also, tech companies are without a doubt, going to delete any data they deem to be "Misinformation", or "hate speech". All your pirated data will probably also be wiped, not to mention anything that uses copyrighted content like meme videos and sampled music. AI will only get more powerful over the years, so this would end up being a total disaster.
You're fucked either way

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
私は猫に同意します、私はどんな新しい技術開発にも懐疑的なアプローチを取ります。すべての新しいテクノロジーには、独自の制限と欠点があります。私が若い頃、彼らは同じような主張をしていました。彼らは、携帯電話が世界のすべての問題を解決すると言った。残念ながら、それは歴史がどのように機能するかではありません。

Virtual Cafe Awards

Merzcat

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
what do you mean, why?
For one everything that passes through the net is analyzed and cataloged.
There Is a facility in Switzerland where they keep information of everything.
There is no privacy on the internet.
Over the next few years the digital ID system will be rolled out, then everything you do on the internet will be associated with your "real ID", now the arabs working I'm cubicles on our soil will Know about your sexual perversions and diaper fetish.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Soloninja

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
For one everything that passes through the net is analyzed and cataloged.
There Is a facility in Switzerland where they keep information of everything.
There is no privacy on the internet.
Over the next few years the digital ID system will be rolled out, then everything you do on the internet will be associated with your "real ID", now the arabs working I'm cubicles on our soil will Know about your sexual perversions and diaper fetish.
There absolutely is a dark reality to digital ID system, will get worse when you add cryptowallets to the mix

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

idk personally i would prefer to have stuff on personal local hard drives/SSDs. I wouldn't like to trust some random service to keep my stuff safe and also don't trust them not to scan it to sell data to advertisers.
Copyright too could be an issue for those corporate thugs and more enforcement of it.

Merzcat

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
There absolutely is a dark reality to digital ID system, will get worse when you add cryptowallets to the mix

The tech oligarchs and world powers want everyone in a system similar to China.
Facebook, the company working eye tracking technology is all for this.
Crash the economy, roll out federal digital currency, require everyone has a digital ID ... but what if you don't have a computing device? ....
You can see where this could lead

Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
I'm putting all my faith in tech like Urbit. At a certain point genuine freedom will only be found by making a new internet on the fringes.
絶対に。インターネットは技術者によって作成された自己完結型のシステムにすぎず、十分な知識と専門知識があれば誰でもティムバーナーズリーが行ったことを実行できることを覚えておくことが重要です。

Virtual Cafe Awards