Strange Telephone Calls

• Thread starter mast
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 7101 times.

Lambda

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Sometimes I get voicemails/calls of a woman speaking in mandarin pretty weird stuff

Virtual Cafe Awards

reynad5150

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Unexplained telephone calls seem to intersect the mundane and paranormal. It seems like everyone has at least one story about a "weird" phone call. A friend of mine would get calls from a guy who spoke in a drawn out creepy voice. All he would say is "I'm the snake killer." over and over. Could've been a prank but it went on for ages.

Personally mine is not too terribly strange. In 2007 I received a phone call at 2:00am. There was nothing but very, very harsh static sounds on the receiving end. It was somewhat like a fax machine but much more abrasive. It really disturbed me at first but I let the call go on trying to discern if it was just some kind of really bad interference. I finally hung up. However, the number called right back within seconds. There used to be many videos on YouTube of calls like these but they seem to gone now.

Have you or anyone you know experienced any strange or paranormal phone calls?
A personal story of mine:

I've been a computer hacker for the entirety of my formative years. (A programmer by trade and a a hacker out of curiosity) When I was younger, war dialing was a major part of trying to find computers to hack into (Looking for login prompts). I would go through blocks of telephone numbers 1 by 1 until I could find a login prompt as a kid. This particular set of numbers had a Wyoming area code attached to it. Started the dialing process at about 11 at night and hit the hay because I had to be up for school in the morning.

The state of Wyoming at one point at the most Nuclear Ballistic missile sites in the country at the height of the cold war. Well at this time, that was still a thing. I had hit a block of Department of Defense phone numbers that must have been attached to those missile sites because after that night/morning, my house would receive phone calls with nobody else on the other end of the line and would hear the occasional beep (I assume they were recording) And would hear ambient noise in the background like people were actively moving around and doing things. this went on for a month straight at all hours of the day.

Made me paranoid as hell and I stopped war dialing for a while after this.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Sometimes get a phone call that is just 3 seconds of silence, followed by a woman's voice that says "Goodbye" and hangs up.
How long has that been going on? That's unsettling as hell.
A personal story of mine:

I've been a computer hacker for the entirety of my formative years. (A programmer by trade and a a hacker out of curiosity) When I was younger, war dialing was a major part of trying to find computers to hack into (Looking for login prompts). I would go through blocks of telephone numbers 1 by 1 until I could find a login prompt as a kid. This particular set of numbers had a Wyoming area code attached to it. Started the dialing process at about 11 at night and hit the hay because I had to be up for school in the morning.

The state of Wyoming at one point at the most Nuclear Ballistic missile sites in the country at the height of the cold war. Well at this time, that was still a thing. I had hit a block of Department of Defense phone numbers that must have been attached to those missile sites because after that night/morning, my house would receive phone calls with nobody else on the other end of the line and would hear the occasional beep (I assume they were recording) And would hear ambient noise in the background like people were actively moving around and doing things. this went on for a month straight at all hours of the day.

Made me paranoid as hell and I stopped war dialing for a while after this.
Good lord that is truly terrifying. I'd love to hear more about all that. Might make for a cool thread if you're up for it some time.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Here's a funny story in retrospect-

A couple of years ago, I got a phone call from someone I didn't recognize. The caller wasn't from my area code, so I cautiously answered the phone and expected them to be a robot. To my surprise, it was a human. American-sounding, too. As a result, my scam defenses were lowered.

The guy introduced himself.

"Hello, my name is Officer [American-sounding name] and I'm with your local police department. We are currently raising funds for police workers that have been injured during duty, would you like to donate?"

Embarrassingly, I had about $2.50 to my name at the time.

"Uh, yeah I could donate. I don't have a lot though," I replied.

"Great! All you need to do is tell me how much you're going to donate, then give me your credit card information. How much can I put you down for?" He asked.

"Like I said, I don't have a lot, so--" I began.

"$15?" He cut me off.

"I don't have that, sorry." I replied.

"$10." He bargained.

"Sorry, I don't have that much either." I repeated. I felt like absolute shit at this point lol.

"$5." He replied, and I could hear his patience wearing thin.

"I don't have that, but you can put me down for two--" I apologized, but before I could finish my sentence, the man hung up.

Was this a scam? Did I avoid a scam by being so unbelievably broke?

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards

A couple of years ago, I got a phone call from someone I didn't recognize. The caller wasn't from my area code, so I cautiously answered the phone and expected them to be a robot. To my surprise, it was a human. American-sounding, too. As a result, my scam defenses were lowered.

"Hello, my name is Officer [American-sounding name] and I'm with your local police department. We are currently raising funds for police workers that have been injured during duty, would you like to donate?"

"Great! All you need to do is tell me how much you're going to donate, then give me your credit card information. How much can I put you down for?" He asked.

"$15?" He cut me off.

"$10." He bargained.

"Sorry, I don't have that much either." I repeated. I felt like absolute shit at this point lol.

"I don't have that, but you can put me down for two--" I apologized, but before I could finish my sentence, the man hung up.

Hard to tell, because he did ask for your credit card number so if it was a scammer I dont see why he would belive you if you had less than 5 bucks if a scammer thinks that you may be lying.

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

"$15?" He cut me off.

"$10." He bargained.

This is a scam! I've gotten this exact call before.

naa

Really? How did it go down?
It was about a year or two ago, got a call from a number outside my area code and I answered just in case it was important, the guy responded with exactly what yours did, "Hello, my name is Officer [American-sounding name] and I'm with your local police department. We are currently raising funds for police workers that have been injured during duty, would you like to donate?" I said no then hung up, because I figured my local police department would be calling from my local area code and also I didn't have money.

For a long while now I've been in the habit of searching up phone numbers if I get random calls, so I did that, and it came up. People were reporting it as a scam number, someone said they agreed to donate and had their credit card charged super heavily. So, it's a credit card stealing scam.

There's stories of people who got phone calls who eerily know personal information about them or their life. Details that would be impossible to find out unless they directly had you under surveillance.

I remember something that happened in the early 10s, where I received a mysterious phone call to my landline that told me "Tell (your brother's name) to stop playing his music so loud" and the noises in the background sounded as if they came from an office. After I said OK, they hung up. My brother didn't know who that was or what I was talking about.

There's been under instances of bizarre phone calls that I vaguely remember where it gave the impression that they knew details about what was going on in my house. Mostly, the most bizarre incidents happened with a TV/TV remote where it did weird things when either me or someone of my family asked for proof of something being there.

I really think these strange phone calls come from someone or some group of people spying on us, tbh.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sweet n' Comfy

Lovely Comfy Days
Reaction score
Awards
Ever since I got a phone I often would receive random calls and SMS of people demanding some debt be paid or else I'll be reported to the banks. Being a minor back then who didn't even know what credit scores were it was an experience being threatened with financial playthings and stuff if I didn't pay 15% interest rates: pretty scary.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
Ever since I got a phone I often would receive random calls and SMS of people demanding some debt be paid or else I'll be reported to the banks. Being a minor back then who didn't even know what credit scores were it was an experience being threatened with financial playthings and stuff if I didn't pay 15% interest rates: pretty scary.
Sounds like a scam for old people who don't know any better to me. Nigerian Prince 2.0.

Virtual Cafe Awards

chrome

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I have a story that isn't necessarily spooky, but definitely strange.

Some backstory is that two friends and I decided to go on a road trip after our high school graduation, but one friend just lied to his mother about where he was going and told us she was cool with it.

Anyway, we find out he didn't tell his mother and she starts spam calling him, so he turns his phone off and we decide we'll figure it out once we get out of the state. But then she starts calling my other friends phone, which was normal since she had his number, but he ignores it and turns his phone off. The weird thing is then she starts calling MY number, which she definitely did not have. Weird, but I didn't think too much of it and just turned my phone off.

The even stranger thing is that ever since that trip and for as long as my friend and I had those phones sometimes he'd ignore a call and it would ring through to my phone. I'd get his angry girlfriends yelling at me to put him on the phone and stuff because they were dialing his number and getting me and I'd try to explain the whole situation, usually without much success.

I really have no clue how something like that happens, I mentioned it to an AT&T guy once but I think he thought I was just some random idiot that was making stuff up.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ETierhuman

MAIN EVENT ETIER IS NOW IN YOUR FORUM!!!!!
Reaction score
Awards
Unexplained telephone calls seem to intersect the mundane and paranormal. It seems like everyone has at least one story about a "weird" phone call. A friend of mine would get calls from a guy who spoke in a drawn out creepy voice. All he would say is "I'm the snake killer." over and over. Could've been a prank but it went on for ages.

Personally mine is not too terribly strange. In 2007 I received a phone call at 2:00am. There was nothing but very, very harsh static sounds on the receiving end. It was somewhat like a fax machine but much more abrasive. It really disturbed me at first but I let the call go on trying to discern if it was just some kind of really bad interference. I finally hung up. However, the number called right back within seconds. There used to be many videos on YouTube of calls like these but they seem to gone now.

Have you or anyone you know experienced any strange or paranormal phone calls?
Like when not long after i got my first phone i got a call. Dont remeber much but i remeber the audio which was just a broken down ac through the phone. Creeped lil me out, remeber being up till 3am, thinking bout it tho it rly wasnt that scary.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ETierhuman

MAIN EVENT ETIER IS NOW IN YOUR FORUM!!!!!
Reaction score
Awards
Sometimes get a phone call that is just 3 seconds of silence, followed by a woman's voice that says "Goodbye" and hangs up.
polite enough to say goodbye at least

Virtual Cafe Awards