What games have you been playing lately?

I love rabbitholes. what have you found so far?
The first "Visual Novel" I watched was Phoenix Wright in 2017, then later I found Steins;Gate through a Phoenix Wright meme group's comparing the two, so I started watching that. Then one of my friends shared a still from Hideo Kojima's Policenauts from 1994, and I watched both that and Snatcher afterwards.

Then I made a thread on Newgrounds asking for cool visual novels, and learned about Hotel Dusk for the Nintendo DS which has a pretty cool art style. I then randomly discovered Ghost Trick through a Phoenix Wright meme I shared (Both games by Shu Takumi) and now I follow the PC-98 bot on Twitter that occasionally shared interesting stills from Japanese 90s games, although they only share the safe-for-work screenshots lol

Virtual Cafe Awards
The first "Visual Novel" I watched was Phoenix Wright in 2017, then later I found Steins;Gate through a Phoenix Wright meme group's comparing the two, so I started watching that. Then one of my friends shared a still from Hideo Kojima's Policenauts from 1994, and I watched both that and Snatcher afterwards.

Then I made a thread on Newgrounds asking for cool visual novels, and learned about Hotel Dusk for the Nintendo DS which has a pretty cool art style. I then randomly discovered Ghost Trick through a Phoenix Wright meme I shared (Both games by Shu Takumi) and now I follow the PC-98 bot on Twitter that occasionally shared interesting stills from Japanese 90s games, although they only share the safe-for-work screenshots lol
Thats awesome bro. I found a few of these websites that post screenshots of old pc games, most off which being visual novels. I have a lot of fun looking them up and trying to find information on them. I don't know if you already seen these or not but it came to mind so I thought I would share.

and if you have the patience to navigate it, I found this while searching for one of the games once, it looks pretty interesting and seems to still be running

Virtual Cafe Awards
Thats awesome bro. I found a few of these websites that post screenshots of old pc games, most off which being visual novels. I have a lot of fun looking them up and trying to find information on them. I don't know if you already seen these or not but it came to mind so I thought I would share.

and if you have the patience to navigate it, I found this while searching for one of the games once, it looks pretty interesting and seems to still be running
Cool, thank you for sharing! Gonna check it out!!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
One of my friends swindled me into buying Tekken 7 since he had nobody else to play with and it's been pretty fun so far. Definitely need more practice with the characters though, I haven't really mastered combos yet. To my embarrassment, it took me a while before I figured out that not bringing up the assist for the moves allows the character to use different kinds of moves than what's available while the assist is activated

Virtual Cafe Awards

Descraeon

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
A Hat in Time, really enjoyed that. Started playing Ender Lilies and Bug Fables, both are pretty good. And of course, always play modded Minecraft.

In regards to Ender Lilies, not a big fan of the visuals, but music is pretty good, and combat is alright. Platforming isn't too difficult, but seems like the game is dealing with combat in different locations.

Edit: Also chess. Chess is so frickin' addicting man. I always play 5+0 blitz.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Hraelth

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
You can play a lot of old PC98 games over at https://tss.asenheim.org/en/. Some are in english as well.

I've been playing Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles 2 and A2MR recently. Really amazing how fangames are better than many mainstream games these days, probably because they want to make a game that's fun and not just an addictive gacha skinner box.

Virtual Cafe Awards

AMC_Squared

Amazing Aspie
Reaction score
Awards
Replayed Vice City a while ago. Usually I play GTA V for fun now to make passive income on my nightclub, bunker, auto shop, and arcade. I stopped grinding in that game as hard because it was just stressing me out. I have enough money to buy most JDMs and other cars from the Tuners DLC to take screenshots of the cars and make retro edits with them since I'm broke irl :AquaCry:

Virtual Cafe Awards
As of now, Just Pokemon Red trying to catch as many pokemon as I can on the cartridge. I need to check my Blue version though because the file I save got destroyed out nowhere.

Virtual Cafe Awards

NanoraaJuice

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I know I posted in the thread once but I've been no-life(ing) FFXIV as of late

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
I know I posted in the thread once but I've been no-life(ing) FFXIV as of late
how is it? the last MMO I ever played was Wizard101 all the way back in 2009ish. Those kinds of games are typically too expensive for me, I hate the thought of paying a subscription fee.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

just finished Breath of the Wild...this is my 2nd playthrough. not as good as the first time around. I made it a goal to beat all 100 shrines. while I ADORE some aspects of the game, some of it....were just god awful. the game is aesthetically perfect I would say, and mechanically it's solid, BUT I feel a lot of things were implimented poorly in terms of things like player progression and avatar strength, and some things are fucking obtuse. I found myself saying "how did they think this was a good idea" many times

finding some shrines is fucking obtuse, some side quests are so like, weirdly specific...like getting a shadow to hit a specific point by standing in a specific spot. sometimes the physics were sloppy. and I was very disappointed in how the master sword is handled.

the DLC was fucking impossible, I didn't finish any of it.

was a good game, will get botw 2. but this game left a bad taste in my mouth for the time being.

ANYway...since that's done I'm wondering what I should get next. Origami King, Bug Fables, okami...maybe something light and easy like pokemon? I just got a switch and now that botw is over, I wanna know what I should play next. Hyrule Warriors and Links awakening are also on my list but...i need a break from zelda because as much as I fucking love love love zelda as a whole, BOTW was just a draining experience

thoughts?

QDBuckwheat

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Just got done playing Copper Odyssey on steam. Pretty fun and interesting RPG maker game. Short and sweet, the game's small but it feels like there's a lot to find and explore.

Virtual Cafe Awards

tracid04

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I've been playing some older RTS titles lately. Some well known ones, some obscure ones. Vidya just barely does it for me anymore, but there is still nothing better than playing a good RTS on a rainy night. Really nice vibe to it. I've been playing this one from the early 2000s called "Three Kingdoms: Fate of the Dragon", highly recommend if you're interested in Chinese history. Pic related.

Attachments

• threekingdoms.jpeg
    threekingdoms.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 90
Virtual Cafe Awards

NanoraaJuice

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
how is it? the last MMO I ever played was Wizard101 all the way back in 2009ish. Those kinds of games are typically too expensive for me, I hate the thought of paying a subscription fee.
It has the whole free to lvl 60 meme but so far I like it. You can do any and all classes with one character and the gameplay itself feels nice. If anything it's probably just a better looking WoW.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: RIG

Deleted member 2652

Hot off the heels beating Yooka Laylee. I'll be real guys, this one was a pain to play. I'm typically not one to whine about bad platformers but LITERALLY everything about this game seemed custom-built to piss me off. It's that annoying, with the controls being the most egregious offender. Who programmed this thing? Hellen Keller? LMAO, so, so bad. If you're itching for some good retro fodder play 'A Hat in Time' instead. It's the game Playtonic should've made

Last edited by a moderator:

LANDSHARK22

Rubbin' is Racin'
Reaction score
Awards
I've been playing Predator Hunting grounds on the PS4. Its fun as hell, getting hunted by the Predator or being the Predator. So far I feel like it stays true to the movie. What is everyone else's go to games at the moment?
I'm replaying Postal 2 and I've found a Quake version that runs in browser so I've been playing that a lot. Other than that I'm still trying to master F1 2020

Virtual Cafe Awards