Reaction score
Awards
I'm reading the first volume of the Trigun manga, and "The Giver" by Lois Lowry

Virtual Cafe Awards

romeo

vampire
Reaction score
Awards
i'm reading 'love letters: virginia woolf and vita sackville-west', and 'dune'! (so I'm caught up when the dune movie comes out) :)

Virtual Cafe Awards
I do not get the hype on Ligotti - that was just nothing. Had to drop it after about a hundred pages. There was hardly anything interesting to be found in that book, just rambling on about the virtues of pessimism, with no clear point. Felt like a transcribed shower argument.

Instead I went the opposite direction from pessimistic annihilation into hypertrophied hedonism and picked up Philosophy in the Bedroom by de Sade. Reminds me quite a bit of Lucretius. I hope to read it kinda fast, it's one of about ten library books I need to burn through in the next two months before they're due back.

Virtual Cafe Awards

reynad5150

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Currently reading 3 books at once - all of them I find extremely interesting

- The Creature from Jekyll Island: A Second Look at the Federal Reserve by G. Edward Griffin
- The Anglo-American Establishment by Carroll Quigley
- Technological Enslavement by Theodore Kaczynski (Yes that one guy)

All 3 have been supremely fascinating.

Virtual Cafe Awards

kultra

veteran n00b
Reaction score
Awards
Starting a classic - The Conspiracy Against the Human Race, Ligotti.
I bought this years ago. It's been sitting on my shelf untouched given I've been waiting til I feel less pessimistic to read a book like this, as it could trigger nihilism or at least worsen the cynicism. Or I could stop being such a little bitch and just read the damn thing already.

In the meantime, currently on: Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man by Marshall McLuhan

Virtual Cafe Awards

DevineNoise

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
The Wheels of Life. It's a book about the Chakras.

Virtual Cafe Awards

chobby

T̴H̴E̶ ̷A̷R̷B̷O̴R̶I̵A̶ ̸I̷N̴S̵T̴I̸T̸U̸T̵E̶
Reaction score
Awards
Currently nearing the end of 12 Rules for Life by Kermit the Frog. Will likely crack into The Ethics of Voting by Jason Brennan next.

Virtual Cafe Awards

epc

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I'm currently reading "Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace. It's a really long read, I've been at it for a week and have only read about a quarter of it. The book isn't written in the traditional way with chapters, instead it's just a series of endnotes which can make it confusing at times. Some parts of the book seem completely disconnected from the rest and don't really make sense. When I first started reading each of these endnotes seemed like individual short stories, but they slowly link to each other as you progress. With my experience of it so far, I find that there are some very good sections as well as some which are a bit of a chore to read. But for anyone who has the time, give it a shot.

Virtual Cafe Awards

kultra

veteran n00b
Reaction score
Awards
I'm currently reading "Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace. It's a really long read, I've been at it for a week and have only read about a quarter of it. The book isn't written in the traditional way with chapters, instead it's just a series of endnotes which can make it confusing at times. Some parts of the book seem completely disconnected from the rest and don't really make sense. When I first started reading each of these endnotes seemed like individual short stories, but they slowly link to each other as you progress. With my experience of it so far, I find that there are some very good sections as well as some which are a bit of a chore to read. But for anyone who has the time, give it a shot.

This was my experience with Gravity's Rainbow. After reaching a point with two characters are speaking in a room, it zooms deep in on the woman's eye, where the story of her family history up to perhistoric times unfolds, which then takes you into a long segment about the extinction of dodo's in an ancienter period, then back to the conversation in the room we left off at, I had to take a break.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Currently reading two books:

Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport -> really great book which essentially gives you a way of getting the benefits out of new technology without getting overwhelmed or sucked into things like social media addiction. Its a way of keeping technology as the tools they are.
The Sword Saint by Conn Iggulden -> Fantasy novel by my favourite historical fiction writer.

Virtual Cafe Awards