Y2K Aesthetics Thread

• Thread starter admin
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 18493 times.

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
このスレッドの誰も、スティーブン・スピルバーグとスタンリー・キューブリックによる映画の人工知能について言及していないことに驚いています。それは基本的にミレニアムの過負荷です。それはこの美学に満ちています

artifi455.png

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
What are called Y2K aesthetics was really the last burst of creative and imaginative culture that happened before everything became a grey goo. It's a peculiar thing because it emerged post-September 11 which was when the world truly began to take a turn for the worst. It really was almost like the last little stride of hope that the world will one day be different - even better - before people just surrendered to despair and pessimism which now characterises our time and where nothing is novel except a virus manufactured by insect people.
I agree with the Summer-of-Love-hopefulness analysis of it--I've never thought of it as being distinct from what followed in such clear terms probably because it overlapped perfectly with my early adolescence when that sort of attitude is de rigueur (or perhaps I'm being presumptuous there).

I don't know if I'd say that it emerged post-9/11 though since it was very much in full-swing by then (unless I'm misunderstanding you). If anything, the end of "the end of history" was its death knell, and while trends in gadget design may have maintained inertia for a few years, the prevailing conscious shifted away from "the future" back to "good vs. evil," right where They like it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
View attachment 4889

iRiver made pretty cool y2k tech... If you liked listening to the same 5 songs over and over, but pirating low bitrate garbage off kazaa lite utilized the storage space more efficiently.
そのコントロールは操作が難しいように見えます。真ん中にネジはありますか?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Hraelth

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Silver Case The 25th Ward had an art style that was sort of Y2K ish.

silver case 25th.jpg

silver case 25th 1.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

kultra

veteran n00b
Reaction score
Awards
そのコントロールは操作が難しいように見えます。真ん中にネジはありますか?
The big screw in the middle is just a loop to attach a lanyard/wrist strap/key chain like in the picture. I personally can't remember using that part lol, but it was a pretty small device. One of the ends was removable to access batteries, and to be honest I don't remember if it was as easy as popping it off, or actually removing the little screws. You can see the headphone port, the little flap underneath the port was where you'd connect it to your PC via USB to put files on it. Control on the side functioned like a basic mp3 player toggle.

I still appreciate the shape of this design because it was really unobtrusive in your pocket. I'm bored to death of the rectangular design of smartphones and mp3players today. So many of my jeans have a blatant rectangle shaped fade on the pocket because of carrying around my phone.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2652

The Y2K look was so ubiquitous even pop punk got in on the fun. Case in point, Eve 6 and their Horrorscope album. Always thought the art was rather fetching.

71jv09nffWL._SL1500_.jpg

V3RC3TTI

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Behold, my Magnum Opus
This is something that I've just sort of been doing in my spare time. You see, sometimes I like to get baked and watch old commercials. So, over the past several months, I've been scraping together a playlist of commercials specifically for the whole Y2K aesthetic. I've only been a member here for an hour, but I'm guessing this is the perfect place for me to post it. Enjoy! <3

Late 90s, Y2K, McBling, 2000s Commercials

View: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL006XF7XT2axey-GJI6-xqKyIWt95i08-

Virtual Cafe Awards