Why do people say Vaporwave is dead lol

kenetic.wav

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The infamous saying of Vaporwave is dead has been an ongoing thing since I'll say around 2014. But is it really dead ? Lol of course everyone will have their own opinion but from my perspective of the state of Vaporwave I feel it has came back alive. I was a late bloomer of Vaporwave. I didn't get on it until around the summer of 2017 let alone I haven't let it go sense. I don't try to rush the process of discovering new artists.

I honestly feel if you got on the genre right when it became a thing back in 2011/2012 you will more than likely side with Vaporwave being dead because you never tried to keep digging more into a rabbit hole of doing research. Of course if u also got on it right when it came out you could also side with it not being dead because you decided to keep it alive by discovering your mind to new artists.

What do y'all think ?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Placeholder

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
If anything, vaporwave is quite saturated at the moment. Despite this though, the scene is still managing to support an unprecedented amount of physical releases. What is happening though that could lead someone to think that vaporwave is dead, is that each subgenre is turning into its own ecosystem. Saying 'I listen to vaporwave' is not as helpful as it once was in getting an idea of what music someone is interested in. Now it's more of, 'I listen to vaporwave, but I like DreamPunk the most', which creates a new barrier of entry for newcomers. Vaporwave is now just a post-music genre, where what you use to market your music is more important in deciding if an album is Vaporwave, rather than the sounds itself (EX: One Hundred Mornings is welcomed as Vaporwave, while Home's Odyssey is categorized as synthwave, even though both of these are synth-based albums).

Virtual Cafe Awards
I am glad that those who claim vaporwave is dead are kept out of the genre and are free to listen to their generalized corporate backed bullshit.

Do we really want vaporwave to be "alive" in the middling minds of the normie?

Virtual Cafe Awards

TigrEncounter

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Vaporwave is dead. Long live vaporwave.
pizza photoshop GIF by Anne Horel

Virtual Cafe Awards

kenetic.wav

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
If anything, vaporwave is quite saturated at the moment. Despite this though, the scene is still managing to support an unprecedented amount of physical releases. What is happening though that could lead someone to think that vaporwave is dead, is that each subgenre is turning into its own ecosystem. Saying 'I listen to vaporwave' is not as helpful as it once was in getting an idea of what music someone is interested in. Now it's more of, 'I listen to vaporwave, but I like DreamPunk the most', which creates a new barrier of entry for newcomers. Vaporwave is now just a post-music genre, where what you use to market your music is more important in deciding if an album is Vaporwave, rather than the sounds itself (EX: One Hundred Mornings is welcomed as Vaporwave, while Home's Odyssey is categorized as synthwave, even though both of these are synth-based albums).

I definitely appreciate your breakdown on Vaporwave and your insight on why one might think Vaporwave is dead.

Virtual Cafe Awards

kenetic.wav

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
They say that with any genre or subculture that falls out of the mainstream limelight. Nothing to worry about.

I definitely agree. I feel people don't quite enjoy Vaporwave because they don't take the time to learn about research artists.

Virtual Cafe Awards

kenetic.wav

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I am glad that those who claim vaporwave is dead are kept out of the genre and are free to listen to their generalized corporate backed bullshit.

I agree with you 1000%.

Virtual Cafe Awards

kenetic.wav

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
IDK, the ones who said something like that are just normies who listen to music "ironically" and thinked that vaporwave was a "meme" like geez, vaporwave is not mathrock-lofi hip hop mix kiddos.
View attachment 7809
IDK, the ones who said something like that are just normies who listen to music "ironically" and thinked that vaporwave was a "meme" like geez, vaporwave is not mathrock-lofi hip hop mix kiddos.
View attachment 7809

Hahaha right. I def agree. There attention spans move too fast they need to chill and enjoy the waves lol

Virtual Cafe Awards

temporaltaboo

Vaporwave has always been dead. It may be hard to grasp, but that's the point. What put the nail in the coffin for vaporwave was when it was made partially mainstream by memes. The death of vaporwave keeps it alive.
I think this is a good way to put it. Maybe some memey subgenres are dead, but the ethos and aesthetic as a whole has stood the test of time, and I think it'll continue to do so into the future. It's such a cultural element of the internet at this point.

Deleted member 2652

This is bang on.

If it helps to separate the wheat from the chaff I'm all for vaporwave being "dead" or whatever that means