What Decade/Era Are You Most Nostalgic For?

Which Decade/Era Are You Most Nostalgic For?

• 70s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 80s

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • 90s

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • 00s

Votes: 21 77.8%
  • 2010s

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I originally wanted to make this thread this coming winter when more people will be inside. However, Agora seems to be growing quite a bit, and I'm curious what era or decade you're the most nostalgic for. Maybe offer a brief blurb as to why you feel that way.

For me, it's the 1980s. There are many reasons for this, some of which I feel would derail the thread, but it always circles back to music. Pretty much every genre I really love was better or at its peak in the 80s. Industrial, Post-Punk, Metal, etc.

How about you?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2652

80's

I don't know what was in the water back then but there seemed to have been a groundswell of creativity in virtually all walks of society: TV, games, movies, architecture, fashion, music, the whole enchilada. This decade had it all. That and a lot of things from the 70's carried over so in a sense you still have the best of both words. Me personally, I just love art from that era in general. I'm talking stuff like horror posters to vintage T-shirts to heavy metal album covers. Like vaporwave, there's something about airbrushed colors that I find really soothing. It oxygenates my soul.

R-3245986-1467373074-9163.jpeg.jpg

screamtime1.jpg

Plasmawiz

Resident biologist
Reaction score
Awards
Second hand nostalgia: 80's and 90's
Lots of media exposure, but either wasn't alive or way too young to remember the actual time-period.

Proper nostalgia: 2000's and 2010-13
Grew up during this period, remember everything after around 2003 pretty clearly. Typical childhood rose tinted glasses of course.

Virtual Cafe Awards
How can you have nostalgia for an era you didn't exist in? At best you could somewhat emulate it, but to have the real emotion you are required to have been there.

Don't worry, every era is nostalgic to everyone. And also, they will cherry pick the hell out of the more recent eras to really make the nostalgia go down smooth.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Alot of second hand / manufactured nostalgia for the 80s.

The 90s was my childhood so I do miss some things from that time.

But its really the 00s that I have true nostalgia for.

The internet was still new and developing and free. It was really the wild west with all kinds of websites popping up all over the place. Forum culture created smaller, more intimate communities online. Gaming was at its golden age in the late 90s early 00s because graphics weren't so insanely expensive to develop even at the cutting edge. This meant that AAA developers were genuinely trying new things. LAN parties were real LAN parties, by that I mean it wasn't just a bunch of dudes playing games on the internet but sitting next to each other. LAN parties back then were about getting a group of your gaming buddies and shutting out the rest of the world for the weekend, purely gaming on LAN.

Culturally we hadn't gone completely nuts with all this woke nonsense, people were just trying to live, get jobs, find what makes them happy. We weren't overwhelmed with technology just yet, the internet wasn't that good and we didn't have smartphones. People still talked about the latest show they saw on TV on thursday nights. I think we lived more in the real world than we do now.

Calling people directly for purely social reasons wasn't weird back then, or it wasn't considered presumptuous of people's time.

Maybe its because I just miss my teenage years (2001-2006) or my university years (2007-2009) but I think the early to mid 00s especially were a great time.

And then the GFC hit and we all had to grow up quick rofl.

Virtual Cafe Awards

1980Miami

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The weird thing is how fast you get nostalgic for something. The early 2010's recently have become a point of fixation for me. It really wasn't that long ago but it seems like that era was the dying gasps of whatever existed before the internet we have now. Probably also has something to do with being a teen then, everything was fresh to me because I hadn't experienced anything yet with that level of cognition before. Maybe it was actually a lame time but I'd have no way to perceive that

Virtual Cafe Awards
How can you have nostalgia for an era you didn't exist in? At best you could somewhat emulate it, but to have the real emotion you are required to have been there.
Does it matter? A lot of people do. Perhaps Nostalgia isn't the correct word. Provide a better one if you wish.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Noct

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
The mid to late 2000s, when the internet was the ultimate vehicle for human expression and not a skinner box

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2652

Forgot to mention, one thing I love about the 80s was Western animation. I mean, just compare OG She-Ra to the 2018 reboot and difference is like night and day. Such style has absolutely been lost to time.

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Forgot to mention, one thing I love about the 80s was Western animation. I mean, just compare OG She-Ra to the 2018 reboot and difference is like night and day. Such style has absolutely been lost to time.
Or 80's-2000's anime. Surely we have great shows today but it was something else back then. No fanservice.

Virtual Cafe Awards

1980Miami

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Or 80's-2000's anime. Surely we have great shows today but it was something else back then. No fanservice.
Definitely prefer the cell-animation of that era. Compare DBZ to DBS and it's plain to see how much more life and character existed in the older style and how plasticky and sterile the new stuff is

Virtual Cafe Awards
Definitely prefer the cell-animation of that era. Compare DBZ to DBS and it's plain to see how much more life and character existed in the older style and how plasticky and sterile the new stuff is
i think this is true for a lot of animation in general, the move away from cell-animation is quite sad

Virtual Cafe Awards

SELCOUTH

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I originally wanted to make this thread this coming winter when more people will be inside. However, Agora seems to be growing quite a bit, and I'm curious what era or decade you're the most nostalgic for. Maybe offer a brief blurb as to why you feel that way.

For me, it's the 1980s. There are many reasons for this, some of which I feel would derail the thread, but it always circles back to music. Pretty much every genre I really love was better or at its peak in the 80s. Industrial, Post-Punk, Metal, etc.

How about you?
Gotta be the early 2010's for me. Like 2010-2014 when SoundCloud was really popping off and people were making all kinds of great DIY music. I was in my late teens/early 20's Smartphones were still decent and we had some really good video games coming out. Around 2011 the 2012 doomsday panic was in full swing, people were going apeshit about it, then when it didn't happen people collectively breathed a sigh of relief on the off chance that it was real and we got a shitty movie about it. Inflation wasn't really that bad up here in Canada and we were starting to recover from the recession of 08 so it was easy to buy things on a line cook's wage. I had lots of extra cash to go out every other weekend and party and spent a lot of money on music equipment. There was still some semblance of togetherness where people actually went out and did shit despite the internet being at their fingertips. There was no tiktok. No vine until 2012 and people weren't treating everything it could get them famous. I get bitter sometimes that things changed so rapidly and I never got to fully experience my 20's that way. I'm 28 now and I wish I'd been in my 20's for the early 2000's instead, because for the most part, my friends just want to keep to themselves on their phones or on discord.

Virtual Cafe Awards