What was your childhood video game handheld?

FAILSAF_12

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I remember the day I got my gameboy advance SP, my 7th birthday! with a copy of Pokemon fire red. it was amazing!!!! I took that thing everywhere.
I also fondly remember the Christmas I opened up my ds lite, with super Mario 64 ds! both of these moments are some of my most fond memories, along with all the memories I made playing the games in the AMAZING library both consoles had. I still prefer being able to game on the go rather than having a stationary console (can u tell im a switch fan?)
let me know what handheld you grew up with! what games you used to play! :)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Plasmawiz

Resident biologist
Reaction score
Awards
DS Lite
Absolute beast of a handheld that I still get some use out of today. Built like a tank.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kaputski

Travelling without moving
Reaction score
Awards
It's basically one of my earliest and best memories, ever. It was my fifth birthday, i was so young at that time i remember not even being aware of that day being my birthday. After dinner the lights went off, and my mom brought the cake with the candles and everything.

They bought me a yellow Game Boy Color, with Pokemon yellow, a yellow link cable to trade my pokemons, a yellow case, and this thing called Light Master that zooms in and lights your screen, in yellow, obviously.

I used to take it everywhere with me, at school, on holidays, on camping. Great times.

Virtual Cafe Awards

RisingThumb

Imaginary manifestation of fun
Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
As a kid, Gameboy SP, then Nintendo DS Lite and then a PSP. I was lucky to be able to experience most of them, and also lucky to "know that family friend who knew about R4 cartridges". That way I got like 50 games to play on the DS Lite. I don't know where my Gameboy SP ended up, probably in a cardboard box in the garage, but I do remember enjoying that although I mainly played the few Lego games on it.

I will also say for the record, I still think the PSP was the superior between the PSP and the DS due to its specs and also due to its library of games, but at the time the the DS was much easier to get lots of games for due to R4 carts being all over. A lot of DS games play like Phone games and are effectively a more innocent and enjoyable predecessor to them before they all became gacha, microtransaction and oversimplified.
Absolute beast of a handheld that I still get some use out of today. Built like a tank.
If you treat it right. A lot of DS have scratched screens from no screen protectors, broken hinges and unresponsive shoulder buttons. The PSP had its own share of issues, from a battery that degrades relatively quick compared to DSLites and their spinning disc UMD format.

The one thing I dislike about the pattern of portable consoles today(Switch, Steam Deck), is they aren't entirely portable. Sure you can take them on the go and use them on the bus or train, but they don't fit into your pocket so you can't easily just get up and go. I think phones robbed the original market for portable consoles

Virtual Cafe Awards

reynad5150

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I remember the day I got my gameboy advance SP, my 7th birthday! with a copy of Pokemon fire red. it was amazing!!!! I took that thing everywhere.
I also fondly remember the Christmas I opened up my ds lite, with super Mario 64 ds! both of these moments are some of my most fond memories, along with all the memories I made playing the games in the AMAZING library both consoles had. I still prefer being able to game on the go rather than having a stationary console (can u tell im a switch fan?)
let me know what handheld you grew up with! what games you used to play! :)
Sega GameGear - Had every sonic game that they made for it and a couple Shinobi Games if I recall correctly..

Still have it in my storage unit. I love that thing.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
GAMEBOY ADVANCE SP GANG.

Technically my first was the regular GBAdvance and I played the shit out of it. When I got my SP, the backlite it was an absolute game changer. Unfortunately I accidentally destroyed it in 2015 (still very pissed off at myself), but I got a replacement that was same make, model, and colour. PEARLESCENT BLUE AGS-101 GANG.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
Endless hours on car rides with this beast. The upgrade to a backlit screen finally ended the days of waiting for each streetlight to catch a glimpse of wtf was going on.
Lmao, dude, I remember that exact struggle. Pokemon took soooo long to do anything when you had to wait between street lights. I got that double light attachment for the GBA, but it didn't do shit. :SpacePalm:

Virtual Cafe Awards

FAILSAF_12

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
DS Lite
couldn't agree more, endless amount of good games especially with the gba slot, and the hardware was gorgeous

Virtual Cafe Awards

FAILSAF_12

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
As a kid, Gameboy SP, then Nintendo DS Lite and then a PSP. I was lucky to be able to experience most of them, and also lucky to "know that family friend who knew about R4 cartridges". That way I got like 50 games to play on the DS Lite. I don't know where my Gameboy SP ended up, probably in a cardboard box in the garage, but I do remember enjoying that although I mainly played the few Lego games on it.

I will also say for the record, I still think the PSP was the superior between the PSP and the DS due to its specs and also due to its library of games, but at the time the the DS was much easier to get lots of games for due to R4 carts being all over. A lot of DS games play like Phone games and are effectively a more innocent and enjoyable predecessor to them before they all became gacha, microtransaction and oversimplified.

If you treat it right. A lot of DS have scratched screens from no screen protectors, broken hinges and unresponsive shoulder buttons. The PSP had its own share of issues, from a battery that degrades relatively quick compared to DSLites and their spinning disc UMD format.

The one thing I dislike about the pattern of portable consoles today(Switch, Steam Deck), is they aren't entirely portable. Sure you can take them on the go and use them on the bus or train, but they don't fit into your pocket so you can't easily just get up and go. I think phones robbed the original market for portable consoles
agreed! before I had my switch I would take my 3ds xl EVERYWHERE, doctors office, train, didn't matter. I love the switch but Its clearly not as portable. I would still have my 3ds on me at all times but I lost the charger quite a while ago :( also, I wish I got to experience more of the psp than trying out my cousins like once cuz it was seriously so cool. looked amazing, more powerful, pretty much had it all but Nintendo still won. I wish we got to see the psp vitas full potential cuz that thing was also so cool. I know its a great rom machine now but I wish it got more support in its short lifecycle

Virtual Cafe Awards

shae

satanic mechanic
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
I got a ds lite for my 8th or 9th birthday. it was the metallic pink one. I only ever had a couple games for it but I played the hell out of them, my favorite was pokemon fire red for the gameboy. the only reason I kept it all these years is so I could still play that one

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
DS Lite
Had a DSi XL myself and can confirm the later DS line's sturdiness. It still works fine to this day and will probably outlive me.

Virtual Cafe Awards

1980Miami

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Gameboy Advanced SP. It was pretty soon after my mom and dad were divorced and I was at my dad's apartment for the weekend. Remember him saying my mom was outside and I went out and I still remember the image of her walking up with the SP and Super Mario Bros 3 for GBA. Was so thrilled and such a momma's boy I started crying. Played 100s of hours of Pokemon and Mario on that thing.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Neonriser

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
neonriser.neocities.org
Gameboy Advanced SP. It was pretty soon after my mom and dad were divorced and I was at my dad's apartment for the weekend. Remember him saying my mom was outside and I went out and I still remember the image of her walking up with the SP and Super Mario Bros 3 for GBA. Was so thrilled and such a momma's boy I started crying. Played 100s of hours of Pokemon and Mario on that thing.
Hey, I had it too! I got the Pearl Blue one on my 7th birthday with Pokemon Emerald. I remember in those early days relying on my starter pokemon Mudkip to win the battles, but then I remember starting over because I found it too difficult. After struggling with beating Brawly's gym, I gave up playing. Flash forward to grade 6, after I beat Pokemon SoulSilver and Pokemon White. I decided to go back to emerald and put that prior experience to good use. When I finally beat Brawly's gym, I made plenty of progress and made my pokemon team grow. Eventually I have beaten the Elite Four, and I was proud of it. But one unfortunate day a few years ago, I was playing Pokemon Emerald while I was walking to the bathroom when I accidentally tripped and dropped my gameboy onto the floor, breaking it in half. ;_;

At least the game itself was fine. It's still kicking to this day, even when its clock battery died out.

Virtual Cafe Awards