The Last Good Year?

1980Miami

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
To be on this forum, a literal monument to both the past of the internet and an idealized idea of life 30-40 years ago, you have to have some sort of dissatisfaction with current year. Whether that's not liking current cultural aesthetics, technology, entertainment, sports etc you all have your reasons. I just want to know, what was the last good year? The last year you felt in touch with things, the last year before things became bad?

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

14-27

Really? This is what you are going with?
Reaction score
Awards
To be on this forum, a literal monument to both the past of the internet and an idealized idea of life 30-40 years ago, you have to have some sort of dissatisfaction with current year. Whether that's not liking current cultural aesthetics, technology, entertainment, sports etc you all have your reasons. I just want to know, what was the last good year? The last year you felt in touch with things, the last year before things became bad?

My whole life has been effing weird since then. It wasn't great before, but there was some hope. The world, and the people in it, did not seem like they had been replaced by cheap, badly painted theatre backdrops and animatronics, back then. It seems like I woke up on my 17th birthday, and a spiral of pointless hollow desperation ensued.

It took many years to realise that the world had actually gotten really weird, and scary after that day, but when I did, it was revelatory.
I don't even romantacise the internet from back in the 90's, because there was no practical internet where I lived until late 90's.
We hung out and played Sega/Nintendo or arcade games, listening to any old music we liked. Pop, metal, punk, gangster rap, grunge, hard rock...whatever man.

The weed was good then too. Not this pseudo weed they replaced it with. Not the paranoiac, body bashing stuff that began to turn up around then. We smoked honest to goodness grown in the dirt weed, and it was strong, and soaringly heady. It made you ride the music and love your friends even more. And it made playing a game of pool with friends all saturday night the best party ever.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Placeholder

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I can't pinpoint a specific year, but I'm not a fan of our new era of the internet where our identities need to be tied to our activities. I remember growing up and being told that I should never disclose my personal info online, and now it's the norm to do so. Some people are not understanding of how I won't adopt to current social media, and see it as this 'betrayal' if I prefer to not have an account on a website they use. The worst example of this is when an ex-partner of mine labelled me as "one of those weirdo conspiracy theorist guys" just because I wouldn't post my life as publicly as they would online (this supposedly meant that I was "hiding them" too).

I'm aware of the irony in getting more personal when telling my frustrations on the internet and privacy, but it frustrates me at times that this is the standard now. Why is it not enough to live our intimate moments without the internet knowing?

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Well i used to be depressed some years ago, every year was shittier and shittier to me that i wasn't capable of remembering when i had a good year or a good life beyond childhood, but with the time i learned to care only for me and my family, to hell with society and people, i learned to love myself, how to improve me, how to be a better man day by day, go to the gym, study harder, doing hobbies and enjoying every single one of them, learning that i only need myself to be happy and fulfilled, throught many suffering i learned to be a better version of myself, and to this day i keep on learning.

To make it simple buddy, i don't have a "last good year" because right now, every year is good year.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOX9LQ6v73w

Virtual Cafe Awards

1980Miami

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I can't pinpoint a specific year, but I'm not a fan of our new era of the internet where our identities need to be tied to our activities. I remember growing up and being told that I should never disclose my personal info online, and now it's the norm to do so. Some people are not understanding of how I won't adopt to current social media, and see it as this 'betrayal' if I prefer to not have an account on a website they use. The worst example of this is when an ex-partner of mine labelled me as "one of those weirdo conspiracy theorist guys" just because I wouldn't post my life as publicly as they would online (this supposedly meant that I was "hiding them" too).

I'm aware of the irony in getting more personal when telling my frustrations on the internet and privacy, but it frustrates me at times that this is the standard now. Why is it not enough to live our intimate moments without the internet knowing?
This is something I experienced when dating. Everyone thought I was suspicious for not having an Instagram. Sorry I don't want to get mind raped everyday by the algorithm

Virtual Cafe Awards

FalseReality

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
One of the early 2010s.
I keep thinking about how I used to have websites I'd stick to and then move away from onto new sites as my interests changed and I found new people to talk to. But the past few years it's just instagram and Facebook and everything I followed before is still stuck as I have all these things I'd need to unfollow and remove. I've been thinking to restart my accounts for a fresh start but really I'm just denying the fact that getting away from them as a whole would probably end up in me finding a lot more of the internet, even if it's not what it was before.
Anyone wanna be my sponsor to get me off for good? :PepeHands:

Virtual Cafe Awards
Hard to pick just one for sure.

2005: My computer was still beige, flip phones were still all the rage, social media was restricted to myspacing on your home computer.

I was 17 and I remember just chilling with my friends on summer night talking shit until 1am, watched this random Japanese movie called seven souls which put us in a weird mood, walking around our neighbourhood smoking cigarettes until like 2am. I can remember the way the moon looked that night like it was yesterday.

We had a bbq at 3am and talked about what life might be like when we finish high school.

How I met your mother was brand new and you watched it on broadcast TV once a week lol.

Used to play Day of Defeat and Guild Wars all the time.

It was the year I first read William Gibson's neuromancer and it just blew my mind.

2009: Just about to finish uni, was young and fit doing lots of taekwondo and really enjoying life. I had an silver 2000 Civic i used to drive around campus on. I remember the summer before it was all over going to the beach with two of my best buds and two girls. One of which I really had a thing for.

She got married and has kids now, haha it never turned out how I hoped it would.

I think internet culture between 05-09 did not change too much although youtube ascended. I miss the more niche PC gaming culture that existed back then before it really exploded and became a truly mainstream thing.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Placeholder

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
This is something I experienced when dating. Everyone thought I was suspicious for not having an Instagram. Sorry I don't want to get mind raped everyday by the algorithm
It sucks that not having socials is a deal breaker for so many now, It took me a while to find someone who didn't mind.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
I feel after 2012, end of the Mayan calendar funnily enough, everything became particularly more shit. The internet became more centralized, censorship started to be more rampant, an increasing amount of attempts to take away our freedoms became way more apparent and in full force, and now we have a pandemic that will affect how society will run into the future more than we probably know.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Rebel

This Is War, Huh, Wow!
Reaction score
Awards

My whole life has been effing weird since then. It wasn't great before, but there was some hope. The world, and the people in it, did not seem like they had been replaced by cheap, badly painted theatre backdrops and animatronics, back then. It seems like I woke up on my 17th birthday, and a spiral of pointless hollow desperation ensued.

It took many years to realise that the world had actually gotten really weird, and scary after that day, but when I did, it was revelatory.
I don't even romantacise the internet from back in the 90's, because there was no practical internet where I lived until late 90's.
We hung out and played Sega/Nintendo or arcade games, listening to any old music we liked. Pop, metal, punk, gangster rap, grunge, hard rock...whatever man.

The weed was good then too. Not this pseudo weed they replaced it with. Not the paranoiac, body bashing stuff that began to turn up around then. We smoked honest to goodness grown in the dirt weed, and it was strong, and soaringly heady. It made you ride the music and love your friends even more. And it made playing a game of pool with friends all saturday night the best party ever.
Reading this made me feel cozy and nostalgic simultaneously, although I wasn't around back then.

Virtual Cafe Awards

14-27

Really? This is what you are going with?
Reaction score
Awards
I get it. I feel nostalgic for times and places I did not experience either. I think it is possible to vicariously feel another time periods "vibe".
My most perplexing feeling of weird nostalgia is towards the 70's and early 80's. I was too young to feel the adult longing that I do.

I feel like I lived another adult life somewhere else and I really miss that one. Weird huh?

Virtual Cafe Awards

1980Miami

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
To answer my own question I'd say 2011-13. Not personally my last good year, but the last year I felt somewhat in touch with the cultural zeitgeist and had hope and excitement for future media. Since then I don't like the current trends in design, feel detached from modern popular opinion, and worst of all I rarely am excited for new albums, movies, games, etc. Blame SJW, capitalism, or whatever but that's the way it is for me

Virtual Cafe Awards
2019, before pandemic culture became mainstream.
Damn never thought about it but 2019 is going to be a year we'll be nostalgic about in the future for sure. Things are never gonna go back to the way it was then...

Virtual Cafe Awards
2007 was the last good year of america. What follows are successively worse years until the whole ship sinks. You've been warned.

- A time traveler looking for the last box of the good Twinkies.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
多分数年前だと思います。休憩する前に。私はいつも休憩前の年を、すべてが正しかったある種の完璧な時期として振り返ります。もちろん、これは偏った仮定です。物事はおそらく今と同じくらい良いです

Virtual Cafe Awards