Pre-2000's Anime General

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
I was being tongue and cheek with my CEL animation > CGI comment, but I appreciate the elaboration. My stereotype of CGI is the horrendous Berserk reboot, and in general as you pointed out, cheap usage of it.

I realize it's more an issue of styles naturally changing over time, but personally I miss the look of anime when it was predominantly hand drawn. With the 90's shoujo aesthetic being a particular weakness of mine.
In that case, thank you for your patience with my autism.

Edit: 90's Shoujo is peak aesthetic for me. My life is basically based off of it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

aster

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I wouldn't say so. The show is basically a story about a dictatorship versus democracy but it's not really a WW2 allegory. In fact, it kind of glorifies Reinhard.

"There are few wars between good and evil; most are between one good and another good."
i am recently watching it, but im in a hiatus, is very good, i liked the music and themes, the japanese seem to have a diferent perspective on Europe and Germany, maybe because they were allies in the past, i have notice their depiction of germany, including nazi germany is critical, but nonetheless romantic in many ways.
In legend of galactic heroes, its more a pre WWI europe, the critic is on the cast and feudal sistem not so much to the monarchy, the democracy and its flaws are also criticized

Virtual Cafe Awards

s0ren

who cares
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
i am recently watching it, but im in a hiatus, is very good, i liked the music and themes, the japanese seem to have a diferent perspective on Europe and Germany, maybe because they were allies in the past, i have notice their depiction of germany, including nazi germany is critical, but nonetheless romantic in many ways.
In legend of galactic heroes, its more a pre WWI europe, the critic is on the cast and feudal sistem not so much to the monarchy, the democracy and its flaws are also criticized
The comparison people usually make is casting the Empire as Prussia. I don't know enough to say whether that comparison is accurate, but that would make it most likely based on the 1800s military-focused peak of Prussia. So yeah, pre-WW1 Europe would make the most sense.

Virtual Cafe Awards

aster

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The comparison people usually make is casting the Empire as Prussia. I don't know enough to say whether that comparison is accurate, but that would make it most likely based on the 1800s military-focused peak of Prussia. So yeah, pre-WW1 Europe would make the most sense.
yes, i also thought about Prusia when i saw it

Virtual Cafe Awards

Thereal

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Haven't really watched that much anime but one that I do recommend is called Golden Boy, from 1996. Its about this horny guy who goes from job to job fixing people's problems. Its only six episodes but its really funny, and the animation is really good from what I remember. Its also essential that you watch the dub, its incredible.

Virtual Cafe Awards

rosydolly

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
rosydolly.neocities.org
I've been on a gundam kick lately so I'd have to say most of those, but my absolute favorite is Yu Yu Hakusho. Other than obvious movies/ovas everyone has already said I like Rurouni Kenshin, Sailor Moon, Initial D, Trigun, and some things from the early 2000s.. like Yugioh, but only the first anime was pre-2000s
I can't really think of any obscure anime, just ones that I don't see talked about a lot I guess. I'm not sure this counts since it was a Korean thing, but I watched this hilarious gundam bootleg called captain of cosmos. It was so hilarious I was crying, but the vodka mightve contributed to that.
If you're ever having drinks with gundam loving friends I suggest giving it a watch. Or really any movie by Joseph Lai. I've only seen one or two that weren't insanely hilarious.

Virtual Cafe Awards

aster

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Haven't really watched that much anime but one that I do recommend is called Golden Boy, from 1996. Its about this horny guy who goes from job to job fixing people's problems. Its only six episodes but its really funny, and the animation is really good from what I remember. Its also essential that you watch the dub, its incredible.

what a great finding, i saw this intro on tv long time ago, it was biking anime, i think ill check it,
I've been on a gundam kick lately so I'd have to say most of those, but my absolute favorite is Yu Yu Hakusho. Other than obvious movies/ovas everyone has already said I like Rurouni Kenshin, Sailor Moon, Initial D, Trigun, and some things from the early 2000s.. like Yugioh, but only the first anime was pre-2000s
I can't really think of any obscure anime, just ones that I don't see talked about a lot I guess. I'm not sure this counts since it was a Korean thing, but I watched this hilarious gundam bootleg called captain of cosmos. It was so hilarious I was crying, but the vodka mightve contributed to that.
If you're ever having drinks with gundam loving friends I suggest giving it a watch. Or really any movie by Joseph Lai. I've only seen one or two that weren't insanely hilarious.

i remember an obscure anime that was kind of a "separator" between shows, it was called sexy comando, it has like a thousand episodes, but i never finished it, its kind of too much to watch it all at once

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
The Alliance is most definitely America. Tbh its an embodiment of Post-WW2 western democratic ideals: its multicultural (the Empire is almost exclusively white so far from what I've watched), anyone can rise through the ranks, people can have their own point of views. However, it does expose the many flaws in a modern democracy too, with people who have different point of views from the mainstream getting hunted down due to the work of politicians with their own agendas despite the system supposedly being one of a democracy.

That's what makes the show so human, both the governmental systems of the Alliance and Empire are not perfect, and many of the people who are under these systems are normal people trying to get by, not bad for the sake of being bad. Movies such as Star Wars are so black and white in this regard as the rebels who want democracy are just stated to be wholly good while the Empire is evil and anyone who works under it should be assumed to be evil too; its never as simple as that in the real world, which The Legend of the Galactic Heroes elaborates on well.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards

Isn't this the anime where a guy gets an IT job and instead of the work colleagues being scrawny nerds they are actually female supermodels?

Virtual Cafe Awards

s0ren

who cares
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
The Alliance is most definitely America. Tbh its an embodiment of Post-WW2 western democratic ideals: its multicultural (the Empire is almost exclusively white so far from what I've watched), anyone can rise through the ranks, people can have their own point of views. However, it does expose the many flaws in a modern democracy too, with people who have different point of views from the mainstream getting hunted down due to the work of politicians with their own agendas despite the system supposedly being one of a democracy.
I don't disagree. The limits of democracy are for sure a major theme. The show handles the contrast very well, especially in some very key outcomes in the latter half. Showing how the two generals operate within their respective systems is a very good juxtaposition.

Talking about it makes me want to check out the novels. They finally got an official English release a couple of years back.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
I don't disagree. The limits of democracy are for sure a major theme. The show handles the contrast very well, especially in some very key outcomes in the latter half. Showing how the two generals operate within their respective systems is a very good contraposition.

Talking about it makes me want to check out the novels. They finally got an official English release a couple of years back.
Yeah took them almost over 40 years to bring them to our shores, I believe they were translated around 2018. I will have to give them a look in the future also.

Virtual Cafe Awards
It does expose the many flaws in a modern democracy too, with people who have different point of views from the mainstream getting hunted down due to the work of politicians with their own agendas despite the system supposedly being one of a democracy.
Job Truniht is the most realistic portrayal of a politician in any anime... ever. This only becomes more true as you get through the show and you see how he reacts to changes. He is slime to the core. And the single best argument against democracy is the fact that sleezeballs like him always tend to be the people that rise to the top in the political world.

Virtual Cafe Awards

aster

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
watching BAki now, its my firts time with this anime,

Galactic heroes i will continue in the near future,
Job Truniht is the most realistic portrayal of a politician in any anime... ever. This only becomes more true as you get through the show and you see how he reacts to changes. He is slime to the core. And the single best argument against democracy is the fact that sleezeballs like him always tend to be the people that rise to the top in the political world.
the anime galactic heroes also masterfully touches on the problem with the militia, how they feel used by unscrupulous politicians, but also at the same time, how it is inconvenient for the militia to take power and exercise a dictatorship, at a certain moment the lines between the empire and the alliance begin to be erased precisely because of this conflict of interest, between the representatives of the people and the representatives of the armed power who serve as soldiers.
The comparison between corrupt nobles and corrupt politicians is clear.
But the solution to which both societies arrive is different.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
My favorite anime of all time is Cowboy Bebop, and that one has been mentioned here I know. It's just so good. I haven't yet watched Evangelion, but I hope to soon. I also really love Trigun, and haven't seen it mentioned much in this thread. It's certaintly not for everyone, but it's one of my personal favorites. As for obscure, the weirdest 90's anime I've ever seen is The Irresponsible Captain Tyler. Definitely worth a watch if you're bored. I haven't seen any discussion about it, so I thought I would put it in here. If you have recommendations for me, please let me know.
love and peace GIF by Funimation

Virtual Cafe Awards
My favorite anime of all time is Cowboy Bebop, and that one has been mentioned here I know. It's just so good. I haven't yet watched Evangelion, but I hope to soon. I also really love Trigun, and haven't seen it mentioned much in this thread. It's certaintly not for everyone, but it's one of my personal favorites. As for obscure, the weirdest 90's anime I've ever seen is The Irresponsible Captain Tyler. Definitely worth a watch if you're bored. I haven't seen any discussion about it, so I thought I would put it in here. If you have recommendations for me, please let me know.
Trigun's a show that I've known about for forever but somehow haven't watched yet, definitely need to get to it someday. Also thanks for recommending The Irresponsible Captain Tyler, I just checked the OP and it oozes with 90's charm.

Virtual Cafe Awards