Website
brainiacplaza.net
R.I.P. w00t and FTW, thank you for your service

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ixion_SEROV

Y2K Hype Beast
Reaction score
Awards
Internet lingo has really shifted now that I think about it. Alot of the shorthand has sort of died out and we now have the hellish zoomer Tiktok creole that's become the meme of the day. You hear things like "No cap" (No lie/I'm not lying), "Zooting" (being high/drunk/crossfaded), and "ion" (I don't?). It's both strange and fascinating to see where it'll all go in the near future now that Gen Alpha is already starting to get involved in technology.

It's also terrifying.

A seriously old-school term that I sorely miss is "fads." Before memes were called "memes," they were known as fads. Older websites like YTMND and Newgrounds might still have classic fad labels somewhere.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2652

I still use "fag" and "retard" as a part of my daily vernacular, both online and in real life. Of course, I adjust my speech depending who I'm around with. But I wouldn't want to be friends with anyone that gets anal over me casually using "fag" and "retard".

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yskrelBCD0g

Exactly. My personal heuristic is, if you're trying to meet people and they can't handle "fag", smile and move on. More often than not, its a good gauge for finding those with a functional brain (or balls)

Ixion_SEROV

Y2K Hype Beast
Reaction score
Awards
Damn that takes me back, reminds me of this video of a really old Fire Emblem Hack where you kill an "internet fad" as a boss:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDrGA2hdGF8

Oh man! A Sacred Stones hack. I seriously miss these. A little off topi I know, but I intend to get back into those at some point.

The big one that I've played a lot of is Blazer's monolithic masterpiece "The Last Promise." I recall also once hearing about one called "The Dark Lord" but I know nothing about it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

clearleaf

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
pwn and pwnt and I'm glad they never became as hated as most slang similar to that. GG for example.

For being fairly recent, KEK? It feels just wrong nowdays. Not even related to politics. It's just. Idk. It feels the same way that saying "boobies" was hilarious as a child but now it leaves you a sour taste in your mouth. Although, "boobies" is so terrible it flips back to being funny again. Can't say that about kek.

kek is like using lingo from a specific MMO outside the game.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ixion_SEROV

Y2K Hype Beast
Reaction score
Awards
pwn and pwnt and I'm glad they never became as hated as most slang similar to that. GG for example.

kek is like using lingo from a specific MMO outside the game.
For those not in the know, "Kek" originated on World of Warcraft as the Orcish translation of "Lol." If a Horde player were to type "lol" to an Alliance player, they would read it as "Kek." I still hear it thrown around from time to time, and every time I do I feel shocked. I used to play WoW quite religiously, but the game isn't what it used to be.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
大阪地方特有の俗語がたくさんありました。私は日本の人々と一緒にそれを使用し、彼らは私が何について話しているのか尋ねました。誰かをキジと呼ぶことを含むフレーズを覚えています。

Virtual Cafe Awards

Puffin

Field Marshal of the Legion of Snarks
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

MorphedSnowman

Sperglord
Reaction score
Awards
大阪地方特有の俗語がたくさんありました。私は日本の人々と一緒にそれを使用し、彼らは私が何について話しているのか尋ねました。誰かをキジと呼ぶことを含むフレーズを覚えています。
Hey, kinda off point, but I always wondered. Why is japanese internet so cut off from the rest of the world and also how is it like? Because what strikes me as weird is that pretty much all of the western world is connected internet wise. I see the same online culture from people that come from US as from Turkey. Obviously I can tell them apart and some things make sense only locally, but they don't feel inpenetrable. Japanese net feels like a completely different world that I'm only aware of because some people manage to bring parts of it to the light.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Internet lingo has really shifted now that I think about it. Alot of the shorthand has sort of died out and we now have the hellish zoomer Tiktok creole that's become the meme of the day. You hear things like "No cap" (No lie/I'm not lying), "Zooting" (being high/drunk/crossfaded), and "ion" (I don't?). It's both strange and fascinating to see where it'll all go in the near future now that Gen Alpha is already starting to get involved in technology.

It's also terrifying.

A seriously old-school term that I sorely miss is "fads." Before memes were called "memes," they were known as fads. Older websites like YTMND and Newgrounds might still have classic fad labels somewhere.

A lot of the zoomer-TikTok creole is due to the proliferation of ebonics into the common or popular lingo. I don't have a personal problem with ebonics, but that is where it seems to originate. Its a degradation of the internet language due to the proliferation of the phone-poster. Phone posters, in general, do not have anything of importance to say. If a phone cannot attach to a printer, it does not produce anything that other people would find interesting or noteworthy. A phone is used for trivial and banal conversations, but unfortunately as more people join the internet through various apps this trend will only accelerate and the degradation of the internet language will continue.

I think you are hinting to a larger trend in which the internet devolves into one line posts of small or no value and 60 second videos. Its content that is of low value and low effort to consume and a perfect medium for the phone-poster. People no longer take time to write up poasts of value and merit, and instead go for the low effort low yield poast.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
Hey, kinda off point, but I always wondered. Why is japanese internet so cut off from the rest of the world and also how is it like? Because what strikes me as weird is that pretty much all of the western world is connected internet wise. I see the same online culture from people that come from US as from Turkey. Obviously I can tell them apart and some things make sense only locally, but they don't feel inpenetrable. Japanese net feels like a completely different world that I'm only aware of because some people manage to bring parts of it to the light.
日本はやや外国人嫌いで、外からの影響を嫌います。私はギャップを埋めてクールなアメリカのものを見つけようとしますが、日本のインターネットの多くは日本に固有のものであると言うとき、あなたは正しいです

Virtual Cafe Awards

clearleaf

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
For those not in the know, "Kek" originated on World of Warcraft as the Orcish translation of "Lol." If a Horde player were to type "lol" to an Alliance player, they would read it as "Kek." I still hear it thrown around from time to time, and every time I do I feel shocked. I used to play WoW quite religiously, but the game isn't what it used to be.
Yeah I see the irony but what I meant was that kek is a time and place that we're really distant from now. It's more like a dream than something that really happened. Kek was also known for being the Korean LOL. But kek as we know it now has as much to do with that stuff as based has to do with based god.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Oh man! A Sacred Stones hack. I seriously miss these. A little off topi I know, but I intend to get back into those at some point.

The big one that I've played a lot of is Blazer's monolithic masterpiece "The Last Promise." I recall also once hearing about one called "The Dark Lord" but I know nothing about it.
Damn that brings back memories. Back in 2009/2010 before the hack was completed I played an incomplete demo patch of it. I still haven't played the complete version of The Last Promise, but Blazer is a legendary rom hacker and I learned alot form his tutorials. Actually perfectly on topic to both Fire Emblem rom hacks and dead internet slang, Gheb Fe is practically a museum of what internet humor was like in 2008:

View: https://youtu.be/1wb1mjhYs2g

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
Man, this thread is a fucking trip for me. I would say that the length of my experience is a bit limited to some, but I got introduced at a very early age, so things like 90's and early 2000's slang had a huge impact on me. I think I started using 4chan when I was 8 years old because my friend's mom was one of those "single and don't give a fuck about raising my kid" types. Well, I had internet and they had internet and boy did we fucking use the internet, especially at his place. I got crammed with a decade and a half's worth of internet knowledge in the span of 3 or so years and that shit has stuck with me like glue. I still use textmoji faces (or whatever the fuck they're called now) way more often than emojis, I still drop slang like ttyl, rofl, lmfao, gg, newfag, idk, idc, afk, asl, etc etc etc. I sound like a fucking retard sometimes.

I started watching OG SouthPark, after like 9 years of forgetting about it, with my wife the other day and felt right at home between every use of fag, retard, jew, and such.

I remember the days when I'd play GuildWars , DotA, CS:S or something and the chat just looked like:
"Fep spam"
"AO carry"
"fep fep"
"Fep ao carry"
"fcking fag"
"newfag?"
"ffs fep carry fagg0t"
"m8 m8 m8 m8"
"jfc gg wp fags"
"ktk ffs retard n00b"

Virtual Cafe Awards

consonant

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I remember back in the day when I would play Toribash, people would toss around fag like it was casual language. People have become so soft lol
i remember i used to go on forums for sites that didn't allow words like fag so we'd say "newbag" instead and i'm sad that's never caught on anywhere lol

people don't use EZPZ anymore and it hurts me greatly. I think the only slang that sticked lately is based and i quite liked it until it became a meme instead of a normal slang like it was supposed to.
this reminds me that i thought based used to mean "what you said was retarded but i respect that you even said it". everyone i know now just says based = good and i swear it used to mean something else.

Virtual Cafe Awards