Reaction score
Awards
Also, memes nowadays are just repeating the same formula over and over again, doing random shit without structure, bastardizing wojaks, or bringing back old-ass memes for the sake of irony, or just portraying stuff from your childhood as something godly, is it something bad? Idk, it depends, comedy is like water, not everyone get it.
1639711932651.png

1639711979932.png

based-based-shitpost.gif

1639712365906.png

1639712382378.png

1639712534510.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Angelo

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Nihilism has lead to the creation of absurd and surreal memes which, instead of alleviating existential anxiety, perpetuate the feelings of meaninglessness. (Circulus vitiosus)

I think the reason ytp humor and early 2000s memes were initially so funny was because it was the vanguard of computer-aided subversion of pop-culture. There was a novelty factor that made content creation seem special - anyone computer-savvy enough to pirate sony vegas and learn it was an aristocrat among internet peasants, but now it's not so special since the internet population has become so bloated, drowning out the originally niche demographics with a more generalized demographic, bringing the mediocrity and shallowness of general society with it. At one time, the 2000s jokes seemed central to internet culture, but they've since been drowned out by the vast sea of people attempting to make a living by producing funny content. Instead of being daring and creative in humor creation, people have become complacent with reliable and replicable templates, instilling a standardized and uncreative sense of humor in the mind of the collective, perpetuating mediocrity as the norm.

From what I've observed, the rise of "relateable humor" is due to at least three things:

-Familiarity - Through the chaos, one strives to find familiarity (order and predictability make chaos seem less scary)
-Least common denominator - The memes that appeal to the widest array of personalities are banal things mostly everyone can relate to, thus become the most popular
-Ego - Ego-centric people spend more time online because it satiates their need for ego reinforcement, and these people are more likely to create and/or spread memes that appeal to the ego

Memes have shifted from the subversion of the exterior to a focus on the superficial interior and nullifying threats to the ego by mockery.

I think it's funny in a tragic kind of way that any genuine creativity must be veiled in layers of irony and an insider understanding of memetic history, as if the creator is ashamed of earnesty. The real irony is that true honesty shines through the brightest in memetic mockery, as the object mocked is really just the undesirable and repressed aspects of the creator's personality.

Virtual Cafe Awards

e_mail

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I generally agree. Forced memes have become extremely prevalent, as well as memes outright astroturfing to advertise a product. But I think you're forgetting the copious amounts of unfunny, self referential trash from the mid 2000s onwards. Image macros, demotivators designed to attack perspectives or people and all sorts of boring template garbage existed, but our perspective of the era is more rose tinted, because we forget most of it and just remember the actually funny stuff.

In many ways, I actually prefer some of the absurd, gross and strange memes that seem prevalent today over the image macro hellscape that existed in many sites from the mid-late 2000s to the early 2010s. I'm sure that in 10 years time, people will forget all the wojak spam, the forced memes and the template "le good side.... le bad side...." and will be looking back nostalgically on a few actually funny happenings just like we are now.

Virtual Cafe Awards

xXzoomerXx

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
DAMN IT EVERYONE MAKES GOOD POINTS.
Well, permutations, exhaustion, degradation.
Just like all modern media, we can complain and say "why isn't it good anymore".
because it's not
Only children like memes. Look at my name and pfp, that says a lot about my internet persona.
IMO the peak era of youtube was 2016, youtube drama was relevant and channels actually cross contaminated.
Leafy would say something and everyone of us edgy teens would be his army, then pyrocynical would reply and it was something you watched if you had no life, the normies loved vine. It was their first exposure to the internet for it's weird wacky ways and user generated content opened the pandoras box even keemstar capitalized on this. bless papa franku, he walked so we can run.
prior to politics, and censorship gore was wide open and terrorism was in the news, people committed suicide on live, clout chasing was all time high.
I remember coming to high school and people discussing the xxl freshman list. The internet was slowly taking over our lives and the social norms where shifting. Everyone has seem to forgotten the world prior to trumps election and the disease that flew out the CCP air vent , the world didn't end in 2012, we shifted realities. I have one question for you: why are all female millennial youtubers so similar? same humor, same mannerisms and similar characteristics. In defense of wojaks they are templates to describe generations and a jab at life, then people merely used it as comics.
But i like the work MilleniaThinker does, it's progressively gone from fake deep to introspective, and Low Budget Stories which are actually silly and comical.
Black memes are a whole different breed, some are twitter trash, others are hoodlum trash (worldstar), and some just speak one's reality being black.
  1. New generation will be influenced by tik tok
  2. As we know the internet was desensitized and there was a major push-back, thus becoming censored.
  3. Internet and IRL have become hybrid, Minorities online have gotten louder.
Perhaps it has to do with the influx of younger internet users and the overall increase in its user base and their ability to create their own memes on the fly. They are also used more and more as reaction images or in combinations with other memes, which further muddies their current purpose.
Memes back then were much more simpler, today memes are burred under many layers of irony that it requires previous knowledge to understand them and their purpose.
Even in 2014 and through much of 2015 meme culture was still mostly that old style of stupid but funny. This was around the time that Harambe became a huge meme if anyone remembers that. I would say Harambe is probably one of the last cases of an old style meme.
"dank memes melt steel beams" and it was a daily source of chuckles on my morning commute.
If you laugh at this video can we be friends? @ Rikstah

View: https://youtu.be/u7CzGAj_gCw

Meme culture is just too damn fast nowadays. Certain memes felt like they used to last over a year, then a few months, and today it's as if jokes are milked as much as possible as fast as possible, then tossed aside for the next meme of the week. It's kind of exhausting, really.

EVEN I'M OUT OF TOUCH WITH MEMES. LIKE WTF IS THIS???

View: https://youtu.be/oVlspd9hxFA?t=149

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3373

Just like all modern media, we can complain and say "why isn't it good anymore".
because it's not
Only children like memes. Look at my name and pfp, that says a lot about my internet persona.
IMO the peak era of youtube was 2016, youtube drama was relevant and channels actually cross contaminated.
Leafy would say something and everyone of us edgy teens would be his army, then pyrocynical would reply and it was something you watched if you had no life, the normies loved vine. It was their first exposure to the internet for it's weird wacky ways and user generated content opened the pandoras box even keemstar capitalized on this. bless papa franku, he walked so we can run.
prior to politics, and censorship gore was wide open and terrorism was in the news, people committed suicide on live, clout chasing was all time high.
I remember coming to high school and people discussing the xxl freshman list. The internet was slowly taking over our lives and the social norms where shifting. Everyone has seem to forgotten the world prior to trumps election and the disease that flew out the CCP air vent , the world didn't end in 2012, we shifted realities. I have one question for you: why are all female millennial youtubers so similar? same humor, same mannerisms and similar characteristics. In defense of wojaks they are templates to describe generations and a jab at life, then people merely used it as comics.
But i like the work MilleniaThinker does, it's progressively gone from fake deep to introspective, and Low Budget Stories which are actually silly and comical.
Black memes are a whole different breed, some are twitter trash, others are hoodlum trash (worldstar), and some just speak one's reality being black.
  2. As we know the internet was desensitized and there was a major push-back, thus becoming censored.
  3. Internet and IRL have become hybrid, Minorities online have gotten louder
As far as I'm concerned the golden age of youtube was from its' inception up until 2012. By the time Leafy was a thing I was an older teen and thus, I felt, too old for that kind of content. Not only that, I had already felt a shift in youtube and preferred its' original days. Although I did enjoy Filthy Frank and Idubbbbz. And that is something I've noticed. Which is that the older people get the more they pay less attention to meme culture. That could be due to time constraints on the part of older persons or it could be because the content genuinely is worse. That one is really up in the air. I might ask my sister about that.

Jared

יָרֶד
Reaction score
Awards
Website
xertech.neocities.org
because it's not
  3. Internet and IRL have become hybrid, Minorities online have gotten louder.

If you laugh at this video can we be friends? @ Rikstah

View: https://youtu.be/u7CzGAj_gCw

EVEN I'M OUT OF TOUCH WITH MEMES. LIKE WTF IS THIS???

View: https://youtu.be/oVlspd9hxFA?t=149

Damn you brought back a feeling I've never thought I'd feel before, I truly do miss old youtube I remember when idubbz would call people "GAYmer word" faggot on the daily and still mange to not get cancelled , now hes a stupid cuck .Anyways ,MLG humor was my shit ,I remember talking about it with all the other tards at school. What has this gone world to?

Virtual Cafe Awards

admin

Administrator
Reaction score
Awards
Jesus christ. This thread really blew up with lurkers. 18k views

Virtual Cafe Awards

admin

Administrator
Reaction score
Awards

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211216-235531_Analytics.jpg
    Screenshot_20211216-235531_Analytics.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 96
Virtual Cafe Awards

Jared

יָרֶד
Reaction score
Awards
Website
xertech.neocities.org
Jesus christ. This thread really blew up with lurkers. 18k views
What the hell, didn't even know most agora roads posts got over 100 views, I might need to start paying attention to the views.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
What the hell, didn't even know most agora roads posts got over 100 views, I might need to start paying attention to the views.
You see this with a lot of forums to be fair, a good 50+ regulars and a whole ton of lurkers watching what's being said. Many could be bots but clearly many are real people too. Either way they can fuck off

Virtual Cafe Awards

admin

Administrator
Reaction score
Awards
You see this with a lot of forums to be fair, a good 50+ regulars and a whole ton of lurkers watching what's being said. Many could be bots but clearly many are real people too. Either way they can fuck off
INTERNET Refugees welcome! Open borders for Agora! Targeted Individuals safe haven! Non stop stampede! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!! :lainDance::antiUNFLag::RedWojak:

Virtual Cafe Awards

admin

Administrator
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards