What's your favorite phone brand/type/OS/whatever?

consonant

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
for my last birthday i got an iPhone 10(?, i always forget which one it is) which was a pretty big switch up for me because up until that point i've always had android phones. i wasn't really sure about the switch but i didn't really want to complain because:
  1. it was a gift
  2. i was kind of curious about iphones anyway
  3. it's what's popular so it can't be that bad and people won't annoy me for having The Less Cool Phone also (even though no ones really cared about what phone i have)
but after a year i'd say i definitely prefer androids more, there's nothing i really like doing with my iphone besides talking with people and going on youtube. when i had an android i could basically download whatever i want and even modify the apps i use which is something i miss with my base iphone. i've always considered jailbreaking but i didn't want to fuck up my warranty so i never did it (although i'll be switching from iphones soon so this doesn't really matter anymore).
when it comes to specific android brands i haven't really paid much attention to them, i've swapped from both LG and samsung.

the reason i'd ask this on Agora though is because people here would probably care more about privacy and annoying shit that's catered to people who use phones, so i'm kinda curious on what the general thoughts on phones even would be (maybe some of you wouldn't even use phones??) . i've had trouble when thinking about phone privacy because even though i prefer androids i have to deal with G**gle :(, which obviously isn't ideal, but i have heard of ways to de-Google those types of phones.

edit: also forgot to mention it'd be interesting to see if anyone has something that doesn't belong to android/apple, i've seen some interesting phones from lurking /g/ and wonder if anyone actually uses like a linux phone or something in their daily life, or just some older phones.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: _TF

cynthiune

DM me cool y2k / tiled desktop wallpapers
Reaction score
Awards
iPhones really aren't an option for me. Apple touts "privacy" features on their software so that yes, you'll be safe from 3rd parties trying to collect your data, but the whole point is for Apple to be the sole party that has possession of your data. They're basically just trying to monopolize data collection for even more $$. So I have a de-Googled Google Pixel (ironic) that does what I need. De-googling an Android really isn't difficult at all tho. There are a lot of resources on Youtube (or piped.kavin.rocks for anonymized Youtube use) that help you get there. That's all I did was follow guides. It is definitely worth it for peace of mind.
As long as you don't require social media on your phone, you can find free open source alternatives for just about everything. The reason you can't use most social media apps on a de-Googled phone is because they require an always-running app called "Google Play Services." You can spoof this requirement by downloading a program called MicroG. It basically tricks the apps in to thinking it is Google Play Services, allowing them to work. Though installing b1g t3ch apps on a de-Googled phone kind of defeats the whole purpose to me, so I've learned to do without. Only thing that I've really struggled with is a good maps app. Google/Apple maps really are that good.
There's a lot of tradeoffs, but it feels really nice being in control (at least I THINK i am????).

Virtual Cafe Awards

xXzoomerXx

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Got lucky, i'm early.
always been broke, always am. The 1000$ price range killed it.
I miss the days when HTC was around, Motorola was owned by google (but now owned by lenovo so even better). I consider android 5.0 the peak due to the influx of phones in that era, software and rooting was very relevant, google wasn't too integrated with android.
Now every single phone has like 15 cameras and a notchless display with shiny glass and it's so boring.
I've actually considered switching to iphone because the enthusiasm is gone, thanks to the many years of android for teaching me about software on a mobile phone and fascinating me with tech reviews. I've outgrown phones as i see them as an ill to society instead.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2362

I used to like Apple back when Jobs was alive, it wasn't the soulless company it is now. I was also younger and more impressionable. Now I reject brand worship, I use Linux on a toaster; as for phones, I bought a super old Sony phone not long ago and installed degoogled Lineage OS, I use it mainly for alarms and to talk with my parents.

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Nokia. Not the former shell of itself today. They used to have a good reputation for the the quality of their phones (for example Nokia's 3310 which it was durable) until the success of iPhone which they discontinued the symbian os, partnered with microsoft under microsoft mobile name. Windows phone such as Nokia Lumia flopped due to the limited number of apps and subpar microsoft support. Now it makes android based smartphones.
There's a book about the decline of Nokia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Decline_and_Fall_of_Nokia

Virtual Cafe Awards
Nokia. Not the former shell of itself today. They used to have a good reputation for the the quality of their phones (for example Nokia's 3310 which it was durable) until the success of iPhone which they discontinued the symbian os, partnered with microsoft under microsoft mobile name. Windows phone such as Nokia Lumia flopped due to the limited number of apps and subpar microsoft support. Now it makes android based smartphones.
There's a book about the decline of Nokia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Decline_and_Fall_of_Nokia
I miss when Nokia was good. I've been using (and loving it) a 2018 LG Exalt flip phone that i bought a few years ago when I wanted to downgrade from my smartphone and enjoy the pleasures of having a flip phone again. Note: the lg flip phone is a good phone, has 4g, internet, YouTube access, Bluetooth and a 2mp camera, its not a bad flip phone and everything functions properly and easily.
Well said flip phone is getting old now and is starting to have issues here and there as much as its becoming increasingly difficult to live in America at least in 2021 without a smart phone.
I bought a Nokia 2700V flip phone through my carrier, and the Nokia is much newer than my current flip phone. I was so excited to have a Nokia again until I got it and activated it.
Garbage. Couldn't navigate the internet, the texting would glitch up, the App Store didn't work and a few other things. I know one may say "oh its a flip phone, its gonna suck" but that was not the case at all considering my LG flip phone works great. This Nokia flip phone was so bulky and confusing that even someone's elderly grandparent wouldn't be able to use it. So I had to return it and eventually upgraded to a Apple SE (2020) which is coming eventually because its on back order. I wanted a apple phone without the apple price, as well as a more basic smart phone, I don't need anything super fancy.
If Nokia smart phones are just as bad as that flip phone was, it pains me to wonder how Nokia is still even in business.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Definitely looking forward to the pine phone. It's supposed to be a desktop OS in a mobile format

Basically a desktop-mobile that also does calls and texting. Definitely looking forward to all that. Finally, a phone for the actually technically inclined. Not a dumb phone re-glorified.

Virtual Cafe Awards

infamous witness

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
digitalbipolart.neocities.org
iPhones really aren't an option for me. Apple touts "privacy" features on their software so that yes, you'll be safe from 3rd parties trying to collect your data, but the whole point is for Apple to be the sole party that has possession of your data. They're basically just trying to monopolize data collection for even more $$. So I have a de-Googled Google Pixel (ironic) that does what I need. De-googling an Android really isn't difficult at all tho. There are a lot of resources on Youtube (or piped.kavin.rocks for anonymized Youtube use) that help you get there. That's all I did was follow guides. It is definitely worth it for peace of mind.
As long as you don't require social media on your phone, you can find free open source alternatives for just about everything. The reason you can't use most social media apps on a de-Googled phone is because they require an always-running app called "Google Play Services." You can spoof this requirement by downloading a program called MicroG. It basically tricks the apps in to thinking it is Google Play Services, allowing them to work. Though installing b1g t3ch apps on a de-Googled phone kind of defeats the whole purpose to me, so I've learned to do without. Only thing that I've really struggled with is a good maps app. Google/Apple maps really are that good.
There's a lot of tradeoffs, but it feels really nice being in control (at least I THINK i am????).

As for maps have you tried Waze?

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Definitely looking forward to the pine phone. It's supposed to be a desktop OS in a mobile format

Basically a desktop-mobile that also does calls and texting. Definitely looking forward to all that. Finally, a phone for the actually technically inclined. Not a dumb phone re-glorified.
Glad Linux popularity is growing

Virtual Cafe Awards

cynthiune

DM me cool y2k / tiled desktop wallpapers
Reaction score
Awards
Bit of a tangent but I miss the classic iPod and good dedicated MP3 players.
If you'd like a current recommendation, I recently bought a NEW Sony Walkman. Er relatively new. I think it came out in 2017. It's a bit pricey but I don't think its too much more expensive than an iPod classic on eBay. And you can put any SD card in it to play allll of the songs. I bought an open-box for about $60 cheaper than the retail price but the device was still brand new. But I searched forever for a nice mid-range portable music player and I am convinced this is the only good one that exists.

Amazon product ASIN B08286VLNBView: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-NW-A55-Walkman-Hi-Res-Grayish/dp/B08286VLNB/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=sony+walkman&qid=1641003631&sr=8-1

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
私のお気に入りのオペレーティングシステムはコモドールオペレーティングシステムです。それは非常に用途が広く実用的です。もしそれが拡大して進化することを許されていたら、今日はどのようになるのだろうかと時々思います

玉.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
If you'd like a current recommendation, I recently bought a NEW Sony Walkman. Er relatively new. I think it came out in 2017. It's a bit pricey but I don't think its too much more expensive than an iPod classic on eBay. And you can put any SD card in it to play allll of the songs. I bought an open-box for about $60 cheaper than the retail price but the device was still brand new. But I searched forever for a nice mid-range portable music player and I am convinced this is the only good one that exists.

Amazon product ASIN B08286VLNBView: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-NW-A55-Walkman-Hi-Res-Grayish/dp/B08286VLNB/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=sony+walkman&qid=1641003631&sr=8-1
My dad has the original walkman (80's).

Virtual Cafe Awards

Minusfourty

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
for my last birthday i got an iPhone 10(?, i always forget which one it is) which was a pretty big switch up for me because up until that point i've always had android phones. i wasn't really sure about the switch but i didn't really want to complain because:
  1. it was a gift
  2. i was kind of curious about iphones anyway
  3. it's what's popular so it can't be that bad and people won't annoy me for having The Less Cool Phone also (even though no ones really cared about what phone i have)
but after a year i'd say i definitely prefer androids more, there's nothing i really like doing with my iphone besides talking with people and going on youtube. when i had an android i could basically download whatever i want and even modify the apps i use which is something i miss with my base iphone. i've always considered jailbreaking but i didn't want to fuck up my warranty so i never did it (although i'll be switching from iphones soon so this doesn't really matter anymore).
when it comes to specific android brands i haven't really paid much attention to them, i've swapped from both LG and samsung.

the reason i'd ask this on Agora though is because people here would probably care more about privacy and annoying shit that's catered to people who use phones, so i'm kinda curious on what the general thoughts on phones even would be (maybe some of you wouldn't even use phones??) . i've had trouble when thinking about phone privacy because even though i prefer androids i have to deal with G**gle :(, which obviously isn't ideal, but i have heard of ways to de-Google those types of phones.

edit: also forgot to mention it'd be interesting to see if anyone has something that doesn't belong to android/apple, i've seen some interesting phones from lurking /g/ and wonder if anyone actually uses like a linux phone or something in their daily life, or just some older phones.
Legally speaking, a jailbreak can only void your warrenty if Apple can prove that it was responsible for whatever it was being serviced for. And unless your phone is bootlooped (which if it is from that could be fixed by DFU mode), it didn't. However, legally speaking you can't afford the court fees, so they don't care. But if you wipe the device before sending it in for repair , they can't pull any of that crap.
Alternatively, you could not send it to an apple store for repair. Their technicians are often wildly incompetent, using the art of brand confidence to keep users from questioning their ability.

Virtual Cafe Awards

consonant

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Legally speaking, a jailbreak can only void your warrenty if Apple can prove that it was responsible for whatever it was being serviced for. And unless your phone is bootlooped (which if it is from that could be fixed by DFU mode), it didn't. However, legally speaking you can't afford the court fees, so they don't care. But if you wipe the device before sending it in for repair , they can't pull any of that crap.
Alternatively, you could not send it to an apple store for repair. Their technicians are often wildly incompetent, using the art of brand confidence to keep users from questioning their ability.
good to note, and damn court shit can get involved?? i thought they'd just be "fuck you we won't fix your phone" at most lmao but that does make sense

Virtual Cafe Awards

Aervund

Beach Khan
Reaction score
Awards
My favorite ever was my MP01 untill the US stopped surving 2G.

Attachments

• download - 2022-01-01T112649.026.jpeg
    download - 2022-01-01T112649.026.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 86
Virtual Cafe Awards