Point-and-Click Adventure Games

OrientalGrill

Internet Trainhopper. Seeker of homes.
Reaction score
Awards
Ever since I was a youngun, I've been a fan of those Point-and-Click adventure games similar to Myst due to their fuzzy yet soulful 3d graphics, and not to mention the immersion. I think Eastern Mind: The Lost Souls of Tong Nou seriously got me into the whole genre. It was fun how personal the experience felt, and how mystical the simpler 3D graphics felt as well. Zeddas: Servants of Sheol, Chu-Teng, Eastern Mind, I have no mouth and I must scream, and Garage sit at the top of my favorites. What are some that you've personally enjoyed?
tumblr_ohzw06bHQb1vg98vso1_640.png
892809-eastern-mind-the-lost-souls-of-tong-nou-windows-3-x-screenshot.png
maxresdefault.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
The only one I ever remember playing was when I was really little, it was some dora the explorer game where you transformed into a fish with boots and explored some finding nemo-esque world. I only had the demo version, and to this day I swear I can still hear that grating Dora voice repeating over and over "You can't go that way in the demo!"

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The ones I remember the best are Riven, Titanic: Adventure Out of Time (it was pretty mind blowing getting to explore the Titanic in a computer game) and "Are You Afraid of the Dark?: The Tale of Orpheo's Curse".

But there's another, earlier game that I just can't recall the name of.
I know I played it a lot, but the only thing I can really remember clearly is a part where you were scuba diving in a sunken pirate ship.

Virtual Cafe Awards

OrientalGrill

Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

cynthiune

DM me cool y2k / tiled desktop wallpapers
Reaction score
Awards
Oh I love this thread. One of my favorite games ever is Drowned God: Conspiracy of the Ages. Some really fun (and equally challenging) puzzles, and the story and vibe is pure cozy(terrifying??) The lore of the games creator, Harry Horse, lives up to the absurdity of this treasure.

Attachments

• its ALL A LIE.png
    its ALL A LIE.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
  • drownedgod2.png
    drownedgod2.png
    107.5 KB · Views: 95
Virtual Cafe Awards

inverse_square_matrix

Citizen of the Internet
Reaction score
Awards
Website
inversesquarematrix.neocities.org
How were those 3D fuzzy graphics made? Is there any way to replicate them with modern software?
Imagine how cool it would be to have new point and click games with updated gameplay but classic graphics.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jared

יָרֶד
Reaction score
Awards
Website
xertech.neocities.org
MNOG or known as the mata nui online game , great way in introducing the story of Bionicle. The music is insanely nostalgic to me and the art style is surprisingly well done. Lego games blew it out of the park. Story is simple you start off unknown, and you need to figure out what's happening ,but soon you'll figure out everything and see how important you the player are to the story.

MNOG_gameplay.png
1_6YKbcAFT8XOH56EZT2VHvg.png
899ce5e0350c13b9fb03fd1f621663d3.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Felt like I should have included some screens with the games I mentioned because there's just something about the Aesthetic of these old adventure games with their mix of, at the time cutting edge, pre-rendered environments and FMV.

Are you Afraid of the Dark?

areyouafraidofthedarkthetaleoforpheoscurse1.jpg

014.png
are_you_afraid_of_the_dark_19.png

Virtual Cafe Awards
I've always LOVED point n' click (and STILL do) one of the earliest ones I've played were the ISPY games, which I guess leans more hidden objects but there are areas where you could "walk" from one area to another, I just really dig the little details and the animations that would play with each individual item... The set/level designs in these games were just as much eye candy as in the original books!
I Spy Treasure Hunt - One Eye PETE (Playthrough) 13-51 screenshot.png
Scholastic - I SPY_ Fantasy (2003, PC) 44-10 screenshot.png
Scholastic - I SPY_ Fantasy (2003, PC) 19-35 screenshot.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

RisingThumb

Imaginary manifestation of fun
Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
Funny this thread started. Last weekend I played the Myst 2021 game and it's actually pretty good. Had never played Myst before and was surprised how good it was. Felt similar in how you have to get immersed in the world like Forgotten City. Will be keeping an eye on this thread for quality recommendations

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
If you enjoy Myst you should move straight on to the sequel, Riven.
Although I haven't played the other games, I've heard it's the best in the series and I can certainly recommend it.
It's particularly good for exploration.

image_2022-01-06_143324.png

View: https://youtu.be/xs2ExAy2woY

Virtual Cafe Awards

Thereal

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
MNOG or known as the mata nui online game , great way in introducing the story of Bionicle. The music is insanely nostalgic to me and the art style is surprisingly well done. Lego games blew it out of the park. Story is simple you start off unknown, and you need to figure out what's happening ,but soon you'll figure out everything and see how important you the player are to the story.
Hell yeah, the early years of Bionicle were magical and this game is probably the biggest contributing factor to its appeal.

the music is insanely good too.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
The Myst series and Drowned God are two of my favorite point and click adventures.

Has anyone here ever played I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream, based off the novel of the same name? I enjoyed it a lot. You play as a group of 5 people. The last people. Enslaved for eternity by an evil AI gone rogue after destroying the rest of humanity. You play out their struggles in an attempt to understand both their past and present, so that you can decide their future.

R.6d801fd801774a077d677703c4cfe284

R.6f1f5d367cd354eab6505ebd753cdb08

i-have-no-mouth-and-i-must-scream-26924.jpg

R.53d4f4976744ef73c0fd44d1e5c66498

R.b5d2eb73a47f919203fe9e4c4dbd55a1

Virtual Cafe Awards

OrientalGrill

Reaction score
Awards
https://apps.apple.com/app/garage-bad-dream-adventure/id1596022730 GARAGE had a phone port announced about a year ago, and without my knowledge, it apparently got released on the iphone recently. It appears to be a decent port to the phone. The publisher is trying to work on getting it ported to Android devices, but it got rejected initially. My assumption is because of the nudity and graphic content already in the game.

Virtual Cafe Awards

zalaz alaza

hawaiin burger genie 5.04 LTS
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zalazalaza.xyz
Yo does anyone remember the third person point and click adventure games? I got start when I was young on Kings Quest 3, but some of the less popular ones I got into were great too.

Kings Quest here:

Kings-Quest-3-Walkthrough-1.png

The Hand of Fate series was awesome too, but less well known:

hof6.jpg

and the Gobliiins series had some of the best puzzles

gob3_8-4019194335.jpg

and of course, Leisure Suit Larry

Leisure-Suit-Larry-2-Image-1.jpg

One thing I remember really liking about these is that they were a bit more interactive than something Carmen San Diego but they didnt require you to battle adversaries all the time. The worlds were semi open, you could walk around a given area as much as you wanted and test things out. In the older ones you could even type commands in with keyboard that didn't work and gave funny responses.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Website
myspace.com
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Obduction yet. It's from the creators of Myst, and it's excellent. I set out to beat it without a walkthrough because Myst and Riven stumped me when I was much younger. I used a walkthrough for those which spoiled the experience for myself. The worlds and puzzles are fantastic (with the exception of maybe one towards the end where
you basically have to teleport and rotate blocks around to create a path through a maze which, while interesting, is tedious
). I highly recommend it:

Cyan is also coming out with Firmament soon which also looks to be fun:

For point and click with an old school aesthetic, pretty much anything that Wadjet Eye puts out is fantastic. A portion of them have a hard cyberpunk bend to them. Ones I played through include:
  1. Primordia
  2. Shardlight
  3. Technobabylon
  4. Resonance
Fans of Serial Experiments: Lain and Studio Pixel might enjoy Unreal Life

Darkside Detective is also hilarious and fun. Not a super long game, but really enjoyable

If you only have a little bit of time to kill, Whimsy and Escape Lala are really short but fun and imaginative

Virtual Cafe Awards