Why does this forum have "share" buttons?

• Thread starter Merek
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 2813 times.

Merek

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
To wit:
sharing.PNG

It's understandable that some degree of self-promotion is desired, since a. All communities need SOME new members and b.Ironically for a site about culture decaying into a giant circle-jerk of consumerism, AG is in fact a commercial endeavor, at least in part. That said, it's clear both from the "We have media attention" thread and little nuggets like the site's "special" formatting every time you write ">redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk" that social media are generally seen with either scorn or downright hatred, and that there's a very real desire to keep this site sheltered from a certain crowd of people, lest yet another neat place falls victim to Eternal September.

With that in mind, why the fuck are we encouraging users to plaster this site all over social media? Do we want people from >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk here? Do we want people from Facebook? Do we want "people" from fucking TWITTER? This is like tossing a couple handguns in a baby's play pen with the safeties off. "Oh don't worry, I'm sure it will be fine."

It could very well just be vestigial from whatever template AG was orginally crafted, but I think an edit might be in order.

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
Its true that the social media share buttons are from the default settings but the vaporwave community actively use those sites. So I occasionally promote the forum on there to get more music artists. Generally, the people that registered on the site are dedication enough to use the forum that should be on here and those that don't will might make an account but never post out of laziness. I suspect we have a lot of normie lurkers but they haven't done anything to harm or distrupt the culture of the site.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
There is a lot of people from 4chan and i didn't hear complains about it, to be honest i don't see anything bad in having the share buttons, at the end, nobody use it, if that was the case, this site probably will had more users, but nope, nobody uses those really, and the normies who came here, they mostly get bored and leave.

To be honest you just need to remove twitter and facebook, those places are a toxic wasteland filled with mutants.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Merek

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Because @IlluminatiPirate needs to feed his/her family
Its true that the social media share buttons are from the default settings but the vaporwave community actively use those sites. So I occasionally promote the forum on there to get more music artists.
Look, I appreciate the need to compromise a little if you're trying to run a business, but deals with the devil rarely go well. Some compromises aren't worth it. Is this forum primarily a business, or a community? Which is secondary? If you're just trying to keep a community going, that's do-able. If it really is a business, my sympathies, because that's a much harder line to walk. Your whole vibe here is about "consumerism bad" and yet you've started a site to hawk wares to people while they sit around and talk about how bad consumerism is? That's...interesting.

Part of this is just the ongoing paradox of commercial art, and I get that. But if you're not careful, business devolves into chasing endless promotion and growth, and that chase ends up destroying anything of value the business once had. That's kind of the point of vaporwave: the unending lust of consumer capitalism destroying everything it touches, turning goods, services and communities into a empty shells.

I'm not trying to attack anyone, this is your site not mine. Just seems like kind of a paradox. So far this seems to have worked for you: the normies haven't been an issue. I hope that continues, because this has been a neat place to explore the last few days.

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
Look, I appreciate the need to compromise a little if you're trying to run a business, but deals with the devil rarely go well. Some compromises aren't worth it. Is this forum primarily a business, or a community? Which is secondary? If you're just trying to keep a community going, that's do-able. If it really is a business, my sympathies, because that's a much harder line to walk. Your whole vibe here is about "consumerism bad" and yet you've started a site to hawk wares to people while they sit around and talk about how bad consumerism is? That's...interesting.

Part of this is just the ongoing paradox of commercial art, and I get that. But if you're not careful, business devolves into chasing endless promotion and growth, and that chase ends up destroying anything of value the business once had. That's kind of the point of vaporwave: the unending lust of consumer capitalism destroying everything it touches, turning goods, services and communities into a empty shells.

I'm not trying to attack anyone, this is your site not mine. Just seems like kind of a paradox. So far this seems to have worked for you: the normies haven't been an issue. I hope that continues, because this has been a neat place to explore the last few days.
Yea the whole feeding family thing is wrong, there is no way to support myself on this forum alone. It doesn't even support the hosting cost. I just want to reach other members of the vaporwave community and they hangout there

Virtual Cafe Awards
You gotta bring in new members and the vaporwave music guys gotta be able to share things.

Alot of worry about nothing imo as I don't think there is any real risk of this place becoming a general purpose behemonth like >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk or social media.

Virtual Cafe Awards
<joke> I tried standing on the corner of the block and yelling about Agora Road to passersbys but ultimately the mission was unsuccessful.</joke>

If this site is to grow or maintain its current population level it must be shared carefully to the right people. Also, the hosting costs need to be clearly advertised so we can never falter on providing adequate funding.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I saw people sharing agora road posts on reddick a while back, I'm guessing that's why they're here. all that can really happen is no one uses them. Even then, the community is large enough where a group of undesirables wont do anything except annoy us for a while and leave when we clown on them. If we can promote this site to anyone who isn't fucking braindead, its a chance to grow the community with people who actually give a shit.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

cynthiune

DM me cool y2k / tiled desktop wallpapers
Reaction score
Awards
To be honest you just need to remove twitter and facebook, those places are a toxic wasteland filled with mutants.
I'm all for removing twitter and faceberg. There is no positive outcome being associated with that. Otherwise supply us with RadAway and power armor if we click those links.glowing one.png

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
63058-1-1490707491.jpg

Oh what I would do to have a comfy wasteland bunker where I could shitpost and listen to country all day long
I loved the Brotherhood Chapter of the Mojave, because in most of the games it's portrayed as an unstoppable force of walking tanks and technophiles, but in new vegas they are just totally fucked, that's why i really liked the NCR and Independent endings, because you can redeem the brotherhood and make them helping you (along with the enclave) fighting those Little Caesar's Troopers (and the taxpayers too if you choose to go independent)
1642196739621.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

MorphedSnowman

Sperglord
Reaction score
Awards
I loved the Brotherhood Chapter of the Mojave, because in most of the games it's portrayed as an unstoppable force of walking tanks and technophiles, but in new vegas they are just totally fucked
Yeah, I agree. I also like how Veronica is such a nice character to contrast most of BOS with. You have her struggling with abandoning a huge part of what makes BOS, but it's because she actually cares for them and wants them to grow.
that's why i really liked the NCR and Independent endings, because you can redeem the brotherhood and make them helping you (along with the enclave) fighting those Little Caesar's Troopers (and the taxpayers too if you choose to go independent)
Who doesn't enjoy throwing tax payers off a dam? I kinda have a mixed feeling about the independent ending though. I like it the most I think, but it feels very snowflaky which leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I think it's the best way to have an ending for players who didn't align with any of the main factions though.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Who doesn't enjoy throwing tax payers off a dam? I kinda have a mixed feeling about the independent ending though. I like it the most I think, but it feels very snowflaky which leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I think it's the best way to have an ending for players who didn't align with any of the main factions though.
To me every ending is better than the Pizza Hut's Legion, but yeah, it would be cool to have a better non aligned ending, like a pure anarchy one, in which you kill every major faction leader, and then your objective is to escape the mojave desert while waves of enemies of every faction tries to kill you, that would be fucking epic.
>Gets shot in the head twice
>Rise up from the grave
>Sees what the mojave has to offer
>Kill everyone
>Leaves
1642197955922.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

MorphedSnowman

Sperglord
Reaction score
Awards
To me every ending is better than the Pizza Hut's Legion
Honestly, people who unironically pick legion scare me. Although I love legion in game. Just listening to their nameless NPC lines is heaven
e6352cebd8d866dc9feef09e65c737ac4c50194dd79821c7396fd27252b38b89_1.jpg

And yeah, I kinda would have liked that ending, but it wouldn't have fit. By the end of the game you most likely alligend with boomers (ha) and have a securitron army, so basically you are untouchable. Could be a secret ending though that's really hard to get.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
Last New Vegas playthrough I ran around as a super strong and lucky bearded cowboy, and beat everyone to death with my bare firsts, leaving the Mojave in a significantly worser state than it already was.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Last New Vegas playthrough I ran around as a super strong and lucky bearded cowboy, and beat everyone to death with my bare firsts, leaving the Mojave in a significantly worser state than it already was.
New vegas melee and unarmed are really op, specially melee, i decided to make a cyborg-ninja run like in metal gear risin revengeance, and fucking killed deathclaws in one second without taking any damage, i wish more games made melee gameplay more op, it is more satisfactory to beat someone to death than snipe them from a long distance.

Virtual Cafe Awards