Anyone else get a little uncomfortable when they see their favorite brands become over simplified? (Ex: Pringles logo, Pepsi etc..)

SELCOUTH

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I just recently saw a tweet of the new Street Fighter logo. It's like they completely took everything that had any sort of personality out of the text and gave us a logo that looks like it belongs to a run of the mill coffee shop in an affluent area. I understand that some brands need to be simplified because the text may be hard to read, but this is not really the case here. It seems like a completely unnecessary re-brand for something that's already so well established. I've been holding out and hoping that this depressing corporate minimalism and lack of expression would change with the 20 year cycle of fashion, because the Y2K aesthetic is becoming cool again among young adult, but that seems to not be the case.

Truth is, corps just want to save money, and they will give you every excuse in the book. "Brand Recognition" is the buzz word here. It sounds crazy, but I used to look at a can of Pepsi from the early 2000's and almost be able to taste the contents of the can because of how well designed and flashy the branding was. It looked like Pepsi, it felt like Pepsi. Now, it just looks like a washed out version of itself. I don't recognize it any better than I did the old logo, infact, I feel less inclined to drink it than I used to. It simply costs less to put less colors on the can, and that's the bottom line. It will cost less for Capcom to put a simple hexagon with an S.F inside of it than it does to print out the gradient stylized text that made the original logo look so flashy and cool. (Which it should be, it's a Japanese fighting game). Don't get me wrong, there are a few brand choices that I prefer the changes that have been made. The F1 logo for example looks much better than the original because of it's simplicity. The twitch logo looks better than the original as well, but I can't help but worry that eventually we won't even have something to look forward to looking at when buying a product. Will it eventually come to just receiving a blank package with whatever is supposed to be inside?

It seems to me that there is such a vast monopoly on products that big brands don't really feel the need to differentiate themselves from the crowd anymore. It doesn't matter because people will buy it up anyways. It makes me sad to see some of my favorite brands get this robotic facelift. Is it nostalgia goggles on full tilt? Maybe so, but I'm sure that there are many other people, young and old who resonate with me here. I hope that one day we can get back to actually putting art on products and not trying to go completely meta when it comes to logo's and branding.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 229
Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Best thing is to stop getting emotionally invested in million/billion dollar corporations and whatever their marketing sissies shit out.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Friend

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
i bet that you could sell quite well if you do the opposite and make a really detailed and vibrant logo. if i am ever in charge of marketing something, i will do it and tell you all if it works. here's my idea for a logo of a store. its just proof of concept. (imagine the font and drawing is better + the photos are drawings too but good ones)

Attachments

• frogland.png
    frogland.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2362

When discussing the decline of several fields (art, movies, games...), one thing that rarely gets mentioned is that most of these abortions are the result of focus groups, which is why so many things are so soulless right now, and said focus groups tend to be composed of the most moronic individuals out there. The execs now believe focus testing is an integral part of creating products and it's not going to go away until whole industries collapse.

cynthiune

DM me cool y2k / tiled desktop wallpapers
Reaction score
Awards
Minimalism went over the deep end years ago, and at this point it is simply obnoxious how awful it is now. I went in to a Taco Bell a few weeks ago and I thought I was at a fucking dentists office. Everything has turned in to flat, untextured polygons to the point where if I go to the city it looks like these buildings haven't finished loading yet or something. Only minimalism I really believe in is webpages. Internet is bloated and if your website is over 2mb you're doing it wrong. Plain HTML or bust. And don't even get me started on this fucking abysmal, soulless corporate, globalist, propaganda line art trend companies are using now. That deserves its own thread tbh.

1614538998786.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

FalseReality

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
i bet that you could sell quite well if you do the opposite and make a really detailed and vibrant logo. if i am ever in charge of marketing something, i will do it and tell you all if it works. here's my idea for a logo of a store. its just proof of concept. (imagine the font and drawing is better + the photos are drawings too but good ones)
I look forward to decades in the future where I'm criticising you for your cruel treatment of frogs to bring us cheap, cheap prices on the new pet that is now politically acceptable to have.
Until then, I wish you luck on your design career.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The street fighter logo reminds me more some esports, fitness branding rather than fighting game.
I remember how unfitting and anticlimatic is CIA rebranding, which looks like more some Techno,trap record label or event. I hate how they make the brutalism-antidesign fad into corporatism and it's the opposite of what the artstyle is about like alegria.
cia-logo-redesign-square_dezeen_2364_col_0.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sweet n' Comfy

Lovely Comfy Days
Reaction score
Awards
Oh yes, being sad because capitalist brands' mediocrity. Pretty vaporwave from you. Not like brands are doing this minimalist logo to set themselves apart from the million generic logos that are the opposite of minimalist and way too overdone with colors and shapes and stuff.

Also, are there decent graphic designers amongst the crowd of wannabes on Fiverr, like Froyo Tam who puts actual effort and expression into their art?
Way more than people at the top at least, for sure.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Oh yes, being sad because capitalist brands' mediocrity. Pretty vaporwave from you. Not like brands are doing this minimalist logo to set themselves apart from the million generic logos that are the opposite of minimalist and way too overdone with colors and shapes and stuff.

Way more than people at the top at least, for sure.
I am bored of minimalism. They look the same and souless.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sable

Telvanni wizard.
Reaction score
Awards
I feel that the minimalism trend is a lot more sinister than it seems.

The oversimplification of logos into the most of basic colors and shapes, I feel, is an effort to insert their accompanying brands further into your life. You recognize them at every turn and therefore think about them at every turn, they become an even more natural and unavoidable part of your life, which makes you more likely to consume them.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SELCOUTH

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

The oversimplification of logos into the most of basic colors and shapes, I feel, is an effort to insert their accompanying brands further into your life. You recognize them at every turn and therefore think about them at every turn, they become an even more natural and unavoidable part of your life, which makes you more likely to consume them.
You're probably not far off the mark. Pretty soon you won't be able to look at basic shapes without thinking of "X" brand

Virtual Cafe Awards

Friend

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

actually i think of the new logos less because they're boring and harder to remember. i think companies are doing it because it was a trend a few years ago and now they are out of touch + it's really cheap to make crappy art like this. in my head when i imagine them i think always of the old logos, maybe it's different for other people though.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
Just looking at these logos makes me want to run full speed at a brick wall.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
2/2, would shop at Frogland. Would work at Frogland. My entire life is Frogland.
Minimalism went over the deep end years ago, and at this point it is simply obnoxious how awful it is now. I went in to a Taco Bell a few weeks ago and I thought I was at a fucking dentists office. Everything has turned in to flat, untextured polygons to the point where if I go to the city it looks like these buildings haven't finished loading yet or something. Only minimalism I really believe in is webpages. Internet is bloated and if your website is over 2mb you're doing it wrong. Plain HTML or bust. And don't even get me started on this fucking abysmal, soulless corporate, globalist, propaganda line art trend companies are using now. That deserves its own thread tbh.

View attachment 19308
Corporate Epstein is the only example of corporate art I will support.

The street fighter logo reminds me more some esports, fitness branding rather than fighting game.
I remember how unfitting and anticlimatic is CIA rebranding, which looks like more some Techno,trap record label or event. I hate how they make the brutalism-antidesign fad into corporatism and it's the opposite of what the artstyle is about like alegria.
View attachment 19337
And I like alphabet agencies' logos as well, if nothing else. The only bangers the CIA is going to drop now will be a NCS-esque techno track rather than a flashbang.

Virtual Cafe Awards