ITT games only you have played

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
Virtue's last reward(Nintendo 3ds). Wish the zero escape collection could come to Switch now 3ds and wii u eshops are shutting down soon
The Zero Escape Series is my probably my favorite VN/Puzzle game ever. I have the PS4 collection, but a bundle for the Switch would be aweaome.

Virtual Cafe Awards

tanker

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
alphabonk farm

Virtual Cafe Awards
5035-starsiege-tribes-windows-front-cover.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Website
myspace.com
I played the shit out of this game. I love how they allowed user scripts which the playerbase used to exploit the game's physics to implement "skiing" which let you basically fly around the map at ridiculous speeds. It worked by basically turning the spacebar into a turbo button for jumping which had floating effects on slopes. Also slamming three keys in a row could make you yell out "Shazbot!" All of the different servers and mods were super fun, from the challenge courses to the ones with hyper weapons (VXF or something?) to the ones with all kinds of enhancements, like specialty armor classes and deployables. Also, there's not much more satisfying than blasting someone out of the sky with a direct hit with the disc launcher. Great times.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I played the shit out of this game. I love how they allowed user scripts which the playerbase used to exploit the game's physics to implement "skiing" which let you basically fly around the map at ridiculous speeds. It worked by basically turning the spacebar into a turbo button for jumping which had floating effects on slopes. Also slamming three keys in a row could make you yell out "Shazbot!" All of the different servers and mods were super fun, from the challenge courses to the ones with hyper weapons (VXF or something?) to the ones with all kinds of enhancements, like specialty armor classes and deployables. Also, there's not much more satisfying than blasting someone out of the sky with a direct hit with the disc launcher. Great times.
Music to my ears. I play for about 18 years lol. Stopped a couple years, game finally got stale. It's one of those incredible games that had a lot of the "firsts" in gaming, but it's heyday was long before the gaming boom, and everyone played it was a genuine nerd. The weird and fun days of the internet :)

We had lan parties all over the country. I went to several in Chicago, one in Houston, another 1 in San Diego. And we were winning real money.

Sadly, there will never be anything like it again. And it will never be known for how majorly influential it was. Skiing + jetpacks... Tribes 1 LT (a game mode with only light armor) is the fastest, twitchiest game I've ever played, and that includes rocket jumping all over the place in Quake 3 Arena. They've tried 4 times to bring it back (not including the half-dozen fan remakes) and none of them take. Each studio that purchases it is all hopeful in the beginning. They love the IP, they love the original game, but at some point during development they realize this game has one of the steepest learning curves of any game ever and they have to do something to make it beginner friendly. And the first thing they do is: nerf the jetpacks (because targets on the ground are easier to kill), nerf skiing (because slower targets are easier to kill), nerf the disc launcher (because it's the AWP of the game... high rick, high reward), and nerf the chaingun (because now that everything is slower, it's become easy to cut people in half with a lightweight, portable minigun). And, at that point, the game is unrecognizable as Tribes. I was gonna say it's like a shitty CoD game but... somehow that's more insult than CoD deservers.

Welp, at least we've got the memories. So many late nights playing that game. I barely made it out of high school in 4 years. :p

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Website
myspace.com
Music to my ears. I play for about 18 years lol. Stopped a couple years, game finally got stale. It's one of those incredible games that had a lot of the "firsts" in gaming, but it's heyday was long before the gaming boom, and everyone played it was a genuine nerd. The weird and fun days of the internet :)

We had lan parties all over the country. I went to several in Chicago, one in Houston, another 1 in San Diego. And we were winning real money.

Sadly, there will never be anything like it again. And it will never be known for how majorly influential it was. Skiing + jetpacks... Tribes 1 LT (a game mode with only light armor) is the fastest, twitchiest game I've ever played, and that includes rocket jumping all over the place in Quake 3 Arena. They've tried 4 times to bring it back (not including the half-dozen fan remakes) and none of them take. Each studio that purchases it is all hopeful in the beginning. They love the IP, they love the original game, but at some point during development they realize this game has one of the steepest learning curves of any game ever and they have to do something to make it beginner friendly. And the first thing they do is: nerf the jetpacks (because targets on the ground are easier to kill), nerf skiing (because slower targets are easier to kill), nerf the disc launcher (because it's the AWP of the game... high rick, high reward), and nerf the chaingun (because now that everything is slower, it's become easy to cut people in half with a lightweight, portable minigun). And, at that point, the game is unrecognizable as Tribes. I was gonna say it's like a shitty CoD game but... somehow that's more insult than CoD deservers.

Welp, at least we've got the memories. So many late nights playing that game. I barely made it out of high school in 4 years. :p
I completely agree. I actually first got it from someone just hosting all of the files on some anonymous FTP server and tried it out. I tried Tribes 2 at some point later and just thought, what the fuck? The characters were big and chunky like the devs just got done playing Unreal Tournament and wanted to copy the style. And it was cool that they baked skiing into the game, but it was really slow and cumbersome.

But yeah, that's one thing I loved about the original Tribes that I haven't seen done as well in other shooters. Every weapon had a strengths and very obvious and immediate drawbacks. Like the laser rifle and energy gun would sap your jetpack power but essentially had unlimited ammo, the plasma gun and disc launcher had small splash damage zones and took time to shoot, the chaingun that could barely hit anything, etc. Even the movement where you needed the jetpack to scale some of the geometry, but it would deplete pretty quickly.

Speaking of the geometry, one of my favorite things is how it would just kind of... warp into place as you approached it. I think it was their version of distance fog drawing, but it was always funny.

I remember one match where I was camping next to an enemy base and was sniping a bunch of players off the map. I had the scope up and aimed at a door. A few minutes later, I start hearing "HI! ... HI! ... HI! ... HI!" I take the scope off and saw one of the guys I just killed standing right next to me, waving. Startled, I jumped back before he fired a shot. I filled his skull with a red laser beam and killed him again. I was laughing thinking of how pissed off he must have been, hahaha

I might have to reinstall it now

Virtual Cafe Awards
I completely agree. I actually first got it from someone just hosting all of the files on some anonymous FTP server and tried it out. I tried Tribes 2 at some point later and just thought, what the fuck? The characters were big and chunky like the devs just got done playing Unreal Tournament and wanted to copy the style. And it was cool that they baked skiing into the game, but it was really slow and cumbersome.

But yeah, that's one thing I loved about the original Tribes that I haven't seen done as well in other shooters. Every weapon had a strengths and very obvious and immediate drawbacks. Like the laser rifle and energy gun would sap your jetpack power but essentially had unlimited ammo, the plasma gun and disc launcher had small splash damage zones and took time to shoot, the chaingun that could barely hit anything, etc. Even the movement where you needed the jetpack to scale some of the geometry, but it would deplete pretty quickly.

Speaking of the geometry, one of my favorite things is how it would just kind of... warp into place as you approached it. I think it was their version of distance fog drawing, but it was always funny.

I remember one match where I was camping next to an enemy base and was sniping a bunch of players off the map. I had the scope up and aimed at a door. A few minutes later, I start hearing "HI! ... HI! ... HI! ... HI!" I take the scope off and saw one of the guys I just killed standing right next to me, waving. Startled, I jumped back before he fired a shot. I filled his skull with a red laser beam and killed him again. I was laughing thinking of how pissed off he must have been, hahaha

I might have to reinstall it now
Great memory man. I'd say go for it. It's all run through a discord now. I can't remember the server, but it won't be hard to find. You'll have to do a little tweaking to get the game running, but nothing major. When Sierra got bought out, we lost multiplayer for awhile because of the way the netcode was built. Some genius programmers hacked the game to pieces to get to the closest thing to source code you can produce from a compiled exe. They've been able to update it to 64-bit, all kinds of graphical enhancements. What you can do with mods and the user interface these days is awesome.

At any rate, it's still a blast, I'm sure. But there's a lot of toxicity there. Fair warning :p

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Website
myspace.com
Great memory man. I'd say go for it. It's all run through a discord now. I can't remember the server, but it won't be hard to find. You'll have to do a little tweaking to get the game running, but nothing major. When Sierra got bought out, we lost multiplayer for awhile because of the way the netcode was built. Some genius programmers hacked the game to pieces to get to the closest thing to source code you can produce from a compiled exe. They've been able to update it to 64-bit, all kinds of graphical enhancements. What you can do with mods and the user interface these days is awesome.

At any rate, it's still a blast, I'm sure. But there's a lot of toxicity there. Fair warning :p
I found playt1.com and gave it a spin quick, or at least the practice round where you find and retrieve three flags. Still enjoyable. I noticed a few minor changes like the inventory menu is different and the targeting receptacle is red, but overall, it's the same. I didn't connect to anything online. I'm not sure if I'm up for getting into all of that right now, but maybe this weekend

Virtual Cafe Awards

Masonna

Ejaculation generator
Reaction score
Awards
Noctis, procedurally generated space exploration game for ancient computers.

I used to love playing Noctis--at least, for a little bit at a time. Wandering the planets was cool, but other parts had a few too many quirks to really keep my attention for long. The last time I really thought about it was when No Man's Sky came out and I recommended it to a friend who'd been burned. Not sure if he ever played it.
It always seemed like a game ripe for creepypasta, but thankfully it seems to have dodged this.

Here is a game that used to be very popular, but now is almost totally unknown: Netrek, an absolutely ancient internet game (1988). Thirty years ago my father used to play this at work after hours. I've only played it myself one or two times. The remaining playerbase is very small, but also very, very skilled.

Darohan

Live the Hiraeth Dream
Reaction score
Awards
The Buzz Lightyear of Star Command PC port. When looking it up, I found information on the MegaDrive release, but nothing on the PC version I played as a kid.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
51E7QES99ML._SY445_.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

JihyoParkXX

Scum Fuck Flower Boy
Reaction score
Awards
Everyone played this on PS2, not many people know that there's a port for the Wii. This is a rare case where motion controls actually IMPROVE upon the gameplay when you're aiming using the Wiimote to literally blow off your enemies' balls. It feels like the whole targeting and limb dismemberment system was made for the Wii port's control scheme. Easily a top 5 Wii game for me!
maxresdefault.jpg

I used to like train simulators with FMV footage a lot back then. The 3DS had a lot of them that were translated to English, you can download the demo to give it a try. There's not much in terms of gameplay however, you just control the speed of the train (the speed of the video) and get judged based on how well you time your brakes. I remember spending the summer of 2018 getting A rank for every station to unlock fricking everything in the game. It's a shame the 3DS didn't have a trophy system, otherwise I would've known if I was the only person who platinumed Japanese Rail Sim 3D Journey to Kyoto.
51N9SAC2CRL._AC_SY445_.jpg
156041-Mobile_Train_Simulator_+_Densha_de_Go!_Tokyo_Kyuukou_Hen_(Japan)-1517896556.jpg

CTR-P-BEDJ.jpg
japanese-rail-sim-3d.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
Everyone played this on PS2, not many people know that there's a port for the Wii. This is a rare case where motion controls actually IMPROVE upon the gameplay when you're aiming using the Wiimote to literally blow off your enemies' balls. It feels like the whole targeting and limb dismemberment system was made for the Wii port's control scheme. Easily a top 5 Wii game for me!
View attachment 24442

I used to like train simulators with FMV footage a lot back then. The 3DS had a lot of them that were translated to English, you can download the demo to give it a try. There's not much in terms of gameplay however, you just control the speed of the train (the speed of the video) and get judged based on how well you time your brakes. I remember spending the summer of 2018 getting A rank for every station to unlock fricking everything in the game. It's a shame the 3DS didn't have a trophy system, otherwise I would've known if I was the only person who platinumed Japanese Rail Sim 3D Journey to Kyoto.
View attachment 24447View attachment 24448
View attachment 24449View attachment 24450
Train simulators are comfy.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/221260/Little_Inferno/

I love how diverse were early indie games before the nostalgiabait which it filled with metroidvanias, zelda-likes(Most of them are ripoffs of alttp and gb zelda games with little to no originality. The only game i liked was Creature of the well which was pinball esque) and animal crossing wannabes.

Virtual Cafe Awards