notable weird coincidences

• Thread starter shae
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 1795 times.

shae

satanic mechanic
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
what's a strange coincidence you've experienced lately? for me it was driving home from work today, every single car i passed had a headlight out. glitch in the simulation? or is the guy in charge of designing it just getting lazy?

Virtual Cafe Awards

calico_jack

midwest emo
Reaction score
Awards
one time i was downloading mods and the file name for one of them was a username i have
i thought i was being superhacked

Virtual Cafe Awards
I'm kinda used to odd coincidences, but a few months back I had a pretty sweet one happen to me.

I had brought my bilingual 20th century Russian poetry anthology to the psychiatrist's office so I could read some while waiting. My crush's favourite poet is Vladimir Mayakovsky and I was kinda curious about him, especially since I hadn't read his poems yet. There were a couple of his in there, so I took a look.

I had a big smile seeing that the person who had this book before me had folded the upper corner of the page right on Mayakovsky's page. It can't be me since I never fold the upper corner, always the lower one, and I never went that far in the book anyway. I immediately thought of my crush when I saw it. I found it so sweet tbh, but I'm not sure anyone else except me would feel that same sweetness. Everytime I've told someone about something like this that happened to me they never had the same enthusiasm or worse, dismissed it, and it's quite hurtful when it's like you're that annoying kid getting excited at everything. But to me, those little coincidences mean the world. I find them so beautiful. Wish more people understood.

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The most common coincidences I seem to encounter is how frequently I seem to know someone is about to call me.
Happens a lot. Like, the phone will be sitting on the desk and I'll turn to look at it for no reason at all and then it will ring.

Another example, my wife always calls when she gets off work. But when she will get off work is extremely unpredictable.
She could call any time between 4 and 7.
There have been so many occasions where I'll be doing something and think: "She'll be calling soon, where did I leave the phone?"
And the moment I find and pick up the phone it rings right then.

Being the boringly rational type, I refuse to entertain the thought that I have some sort of phone call precognition.
My best theory is that the phone is making some sort of high-pitch sound when it starts to receive a signal and I'm unconsciously picking up on that.
I've always been very sensitive to high frequency sounds like coil whine that most don't seem to notice.

Although that theory is starting to get some holes as my hearing range inevitably decreases with age and I have tinnitus now.
But somehow I still seem to know when the phone will ring.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
Watched the Truman Show the other day and then a video I watched later on mentioned it so that's neat

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
My buddy and I were at a taqueria and he jokingly reported that the copy of Oban Star Racers on my server was only in 480p and that I needed to fix the issue asap. We joked some, then I explained about how if the show was never released in a high resolution, it would be difficult for me to upscale it. Then we went home, I turned on my PC, checked on some anime news, and right there on the front page was a report that Oban Star Racers was getting a Bluray release. Pure fuckin' magicks.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
My life is coined by the Bader Meinhoff phenomenon. It describes the the feeling that things, concepts or people only begin to exist as soon as you learn of them.
I even experienced it with the phenomenon itself.

Virtual Cafe Awards

NW_Cryptid

Transcendent Coalescence
Reaction score
Awards
This would have been a long ass time ago but, I remember once befriending a kid in one of my classes who no one seemed to talk to. I understood what it was like to be generally considered an outcast so I figured I'd try to offer him friendship. He was chill, just a bit different from most people at our school since he was a bit of a nerd which wasn't nearly as popular and mainstream back then as it is now. Being that I also considered myself a bit of a nerd I was more than willing to talk to him about the sort of tech shit he was into, or just the anime and manga he liked. One day, for absolutely no reason; we discussed the concept of death. More specifically he mentioned that he wanted people to laugh at his funeral, stating that he just wishes people would find him funny instead of laughing at him. He told me he wanted to be a comedian but that he knew it wouldn't pay the bills because it's not the sort of job you can really go out and apply for, but it's something he wanted to be remembered for. The very next day I didn't see him at school and it was reported shortly after that he had been hit by a car on his way home. However it gets worse, I thought it might have been suicide given that he had basically just told me about his hopes for his funeral, and that he didn't think his life was going anywhere. Though this was proven to not be the case, where in actuality it was the grandmother of my at-the-time girlfriend who was driving home while hopped up on all kinds of prescriptions and really drunk which had resulted in her losing consciousness momentarily and driving her car off the road onto the sidewalk hitting the young man. I came to the realization that this was the reason why her mother had come home so late that evening (we were dumb teens so we didn't really notice since we figured we just had extra time to fool around considering how late her mom was) turns out her mom had to go pick up her grandma and explain shit to the cops. Basically I befriended a kid within a week of my ex's grandma hitting him with her car and I remember there being a rumor that people shouldn't befriend me because I was some death demon who would curse them to die within a week of knowing me, which was dumb but we were young so it got stuck in my brain and I was worried about befriending people after that. I didn't have any new friends for a few years after that experience because some small dumbass part of my brain actually thought they'd end up dead.

Virtual Cafe Awards

shae

satanic mechanic
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
This would have been a long ass time ago but, I remember once befriending a kid in one of my classes who no one seemed to talk to. I understood what it was like to be generally considered an outcast so I figured I'd try to offer him friendship. He was chill, just a bit different from most people at our school since he was a bit of a nerd which wasn't nearly as popular and mainstream back then as it is now. Being that I also considered myself a bit of a nerd I was more than willing to talk to him about the sort of tech shit he was into, or just the anime and manga he liked. One day, for absolutely no reason; we discussed the concept of death. More specifically he mentioned that he wanted people to laugh at his funeral, stating that he just wishes people would find him funny instead of laughing at him. He told me he wanted to be a comedian but that he knew it wouldn't pay the bills because it's not the sort of job you can really go out and apply for, but it's something he wanted to be remembered for. The very next day I didn't see him at school and it was reported shortly after that he had been hit by a car on his way home. However it gets worse, I thought it might have been suicide given that he had basically just told me about his hopes for his funeral, and that he didn't think his life was going anywhere. Though this was proven to not be the case, where in actuality it was the grandmother of my at-the-time girlfriend who was driving home while hopped up on all kinds of prescriptions and really drunk which had resulted in her losing consciousness momentarily and driving her car off the road onto the sidewalk hitting the young man. I came to the realization that this was the reason why her mother had come home so late that evening (we were dumb teens so we didn't really notice since we figured we just had extra time to fool around considering how late her mom was) turns out her mom had to go pick up her grandma and explain shit to the cops. Basically I befriended a kid within a week of my ex's grandma hitting him with her car and I remember there being a rumor that people shouldn't befriend me because I was some death demon who would curse them to die within a week of knowing me, which was dumb but we were young so it got stuck in my brain and I was worried about befriending people after that. I didn't have any new friends for a few years after that experience because some small dumbass part of my brain actually thought they'd end up dead.
this is actually so sad, i can't imagine how you must have felt dealing with this while being so young. my condolences.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3981

I saw the same guy in a sonic shirt walk past me twice. This was the same hallway. It loops around, but there's no way he's that fast.

My working theory is that he has a twin that wears the same shirt, and they pull similar stunts to fake dying for insurance money.

ThyOde17

Tree Spiking Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awards
I was wondering in one of my classes the other day about what it would be like missing your index and middle finger on one hand and within an hour my professor showed a video where the speaker was missing the exact same fingers on one of his hands.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
Someone is watching and mocking you. It is always the cars. They always do something with cars.

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
My weird coincidence is that I'll be listening to a shuffle of every track on my phone, which is a playlist of thousands of songs, and then I'll get this 'intrusive thought' hearing the first few seconds of some track I already know, and then the phone would start playing that. Stranger still is that at least 50% of all cases of this have specifically been with Sewerslvt's Cyberia lyr1

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards