Agora Road DF succession fort

Lonely_Ghost

The one
Reaction score
Awards
Slaves to Armok 2: Dwarf fortress
Strike the earth

We're doing a succession fortress in Dwarf fortress here. For anyone who hasn't done or seen one of these, a succession fort is played by a player one in-game year at a time and then shared with the next player, causing mismanagement, arguments and a whole lot of !!Fun!!. Anyone who wants to join in or simply get a dwarf named after them is free to ask for one and you'll be added to the list. It is recommended that anyone who wants to play has a basic understanding of how the game is played however, as DF is known as a very unforgiving and often unfair experience. Don't be worried about having the fortress die in a giant fireball or to a goblin siege though, Losing is fun after all.

Player list
Lonely_Ghost
2. Andy Kaufman
Radical
4. Bob Jones
5. Lonely_Ghost

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
I'd be down. I only play vanilla though.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
@andyyou want to start a fort with just the two of us for now? Latest version with no mods? 1 year playthroughs before sending the save over?
go ahead. Haven't played in a while but I should be fine. if anyone wants to join in later it's no problem.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3981

Off-topic, but I've played DF once and couldn't get the hang of it. Love the terminal and ascii games period, and this is the most well known one. Any resources for a beginner that don't need a wiki page or a degree in IT?

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Any resources for a beginner that don't need a wiki page or a degree in IT?
No, not really dude. Best you can do is follow a tutorial on youtube, and but its still gonna feel like taking a course for programming macros in excel. Also the wiki is gonna become a very important tool once you become an intermediate player and begin conducting more interesting experiments, so there's no two ways around it.

If I remember correctly, it took me a week's worth of (short) sessions to get properly acquainted with the game, but its very well worth it. There's no playground quite like dwarf fortress.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Also, you don't have to do everything. Keep it simple with some basic farming for your first few forts. Then slowly start experimenting with different or more advanced stuff as you start acquiring mastery. And don't forget: Losing Is Fun.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Off-topic, but I've played DF once and couldn't get the hang of it. Love the terminal and ascii games period, and this is the most well known one. Any resources for a beginner that don't need a wiki page or a degree in IT?
The wiki's beginner's guide is better than every video tutorial I've seen so far.
Tells you step by step what to do to get a basic self sufficient fort running and the pages on the industry chains are really valuable.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
The wiki's beginner's guide is better than every video tutorial I've seen so far.
Tells you step by step what to do to get a basic self sufficient fort running and the pages on the industry chains are really valuable.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Lonely_Ghost

The one
Reaction score
Awards
Prelude:
The mountain homes are diseased, plagued, rotten to it's core. You can hear it's shambling fetid citizens mumbling to themselves day and night. They repeat the words of madness to themselves, murmurs of "retweets" and "upvotes" and even worthless rabbiting of "tiktoks". Enough is enough, the old ways are lost; myself and 6 others have decided to leave and create a home for ourselves where the old ways may survive amongst it's most virtuous and pious priests.
we have decided to settle on the crest of summits, a temperate mountainside with plenty of natural resources to keep us going. All sites have their downsides of course and we are surrounded by goblins and elves, but we have enough time to prepare for them or at the very least lock ourselves in the mountains, away from the world. I've included a map of out site here:
DF.jpg

By the 15th of Granite, we'll be there and ready to begin!

15th of Granite:
We've finally made it here and there's not a moment to waste.
Here we all are. There's Somaspice the miner, Miraclewhipe the woodworker, Deepfreeze the woodcutter, IlluminatiPirate our expedition leader, Lonely_Ghost the jewler, BrentW the fish cleaner and Pangolin the fisherdwarf.
DF.jpg

We'll start by mining into the mountains and getting some basic stockpiles, meeting rooms and workplaces ready.
16th of Slate:
Well, work is going ahead later rather then sooner. We also have no water source up here which means we'll have to dig into the caverns below to find any, luckily we do have something really cool, SILVER and tons of it. This stuff makes great crafts and blunt weapons, which gives us something to trade in the future.
2nd of Hematite:
Spring has been and gone and we have some very basic crafting and stockpile rooms. Hopefully we can remake and reuse these ones someday in the future because they're shitty right now, but we've only just settled here after all.

DF.jpg

Will finish the year off in the next update

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
I think we should name the Dorfs according to our forum members, right?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Lonely_Ghost

The one
Reaction score
Awards
7th of Hematite:
The craftrooms are all made. They should have every workshop in them even if we don't need them in the short term, just to deal with any strange mood shit we might have. These are all pretty temporary though, they don't look so nice so if anyone wanted to change them in the future then you have a thumbs up from me.
11th of Malachite:
Finally, more lost souls have joined our cause! We had one carpenter, One engraver, One metalcrafter and two farmers. Thats five migrants and a total of 16 dwarves, which would be great except we're starting to run low on food. We have plenty of booze after i brewed our plump helmets after embarking but those mushrooms would have filled a lot of bellies right now.
24th of Malachite:
Our very basic tavern has been completed! Now complete randos can go down into the pitch black darkness to drink mushroom beer and accept quests that only have to do with goblins.
DF.png

Party hard!!!
13th of Galena:
Our hospital has been set up and our silver crafts industry is well underway. We don't have a designated Broker or Medical dwarf though, so i guess none of that matters. Why did i update again? Food situation is the same too, we're currently eating berries and shrubs like animals.
15th of Limestone:
The traders have arrived! Thank god, now we'll maybe avoid starving to death.
17th of Limestone:
Trading is complete, we now have tons of food and booze to keep us through the year. I've ordered shit that we have a huge drought on, mostly being iron and wood since our settlement is a barran mountainscape with barely any trees and no iron. So whoever is next needs to make sure to buy plenty of those.
3rd of Sandstone:
We have a basic security system. We have a front door that we can close at any time, cutting us off from the outside world. If you ever want to hit it, just use this switch here:
DF.png
DF.png

20th of Sandstone:
More Migrants, another eight taking us up to 21. We got one mason, one trapper, one metalcrafter, three gemcutters, two traders, one bonecrafter and one peasant.
28th of Sandstone:

We've set up a tiny office for our bookkeeper to check up our stocks and make sure we're not 5 seconds from starving at any time.

Only one season left, last update coming tomorrow

Virtual Cafe Awards