Agora Road DF succession fort

Lonely_Ghost

The one
Reaction score
Awards
9th of Timber:
It's come to my attention that we have military force at all. We have 2 potential candidates but no weapons, so i've commissioned a steel sword and a silver mace to be smelted (both very high tier weapons) and to draft two drawves as a small peacekeeping force. This will need to be added to though, two novice dwarves won't be able to keep us safe from anything except badgers and kobolds.
16th of Timber:
As one of the last tasks before winter, we're going to try hitting the cavern layer to see what we can find. Hopefully a water source because we don't have any of that on the surface. Whatever, who needs water when you have tons of booze am i right?
25th of Timber:
Welcome to the first cavern Layer
DF.jpg

Now to get this shit blocked off ASAP before a huge monster comes and rips all our dicks off.
18th of Moonstone:
Our Millitary is working at least
DF.jpg

19th of Opal:
We have a working well!. I've sealed the cavern layer off for now but it can easily be opened again with a leaver in the tavern. Maybe not the best place for it in hindsight...
20th Of Obsidian:
And with that my year closes. It hasn't been massively eventful but we've gotten down the basics of how this fortress will progress. No incidents and no major issues so i think we'll be fine for a little while at least. But we desperately need bedrooms (and enough wood to make beds), more soldiers and a reliable smelting method, because the shit we're using now won't cut it. Here's what the fortress looks like right now:
DF.jpg
DF.jpg

DF.jpg
DF.jpg

Thanks for reading!
Access to file: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15872

@Andy Kaufman it's your turn now, is 2 weeks enough time?

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
9th of Timber:
It's come to my attention that we have military force at all. We have 2 potential candidates but no weapons, so i've commissioned a steel sword and a silver mace to be smelted (both very high tier weapons) and to draft two drawves as a small peacekeeping force. This will need to be added to though, two novice dwarves won't be able to keep us safe from anything except badgers and kobolds.
16th of Timber:
As one of the last tasks before winter, we're going to try hitting the cavern layer to see what we can find. Hopefully a water source because we don't have any of that on the surface. Whatever, who needs water when you have tons of booze am i right?
25th of Timber:
Welcome to the first cavern Layer
View attachment 24456
Now to get this shit blocked off ASAP before a huge monster comes and rips all our dicks off.
18th of Moonstone:
Our Millitary is working at least
View attachment 24457
19th of Opal:
We have a working well!. I've sealed the cavern layer off for now but it can easily be opened again with a leaver in the tavern. Maybe not the best place for it in hindsight...
20th Of Obsidian:
And with that my year closes. It hasn't been massively eventful but we've gotten down the basics of how this fortress will progress. No incidents and no major issues so i think we'll be fine for a little while at least, here's what the fortress looks like right now:
View attachment 24458View attachment 24459
View attachment 24460View attachment 24461
Thanks for reading!
Access to file: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15872

@Andy Kaufman it's your turn now, is 2 weeks enough time?
Nice.
I should get around to it this weekend, my weeks are pretty stuffed at the moment but on friday I should be able to start playing. :)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
1648824551332.png

Just began playing and our Metalcrafter created an artifact bronze goblet!
1648824620166.png

Depicts an Ettin wageslaving.
1648824890656.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
A hippie (elven) caravan came and I bought tons of fruit and wood.
The wood will go into the beds so our Dorfs get some proper rest in their own bedrooms.
1648828260393.png

Not very furnished yet but it's a start. We have ~40 dorfs now in the fort but barely enough beds because wood is so rare. I might send the woodcutters down into the caverns and cut a few giant mushrooms for cave wood...
I also added a standing order so that our brewers will start brewing as soon as we have <10 Drinks in the stockpile.
1648825994502.png

The numbers probably need to be adjusted as out colony grows but it should to for now.
I also built a small farm near our entrance gate.
1648828129016.png

It is now summer, and with pigtails being planted, I am getting a textile industry running. Pig tails get turned into threads at a Farmer's Workshop, therad into Cloth at a Loom and then Cloth can be turned into clothing or bags. Bags are very useful to store seeds, sand and other stuff so it's good to have ~30-50.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Considering I got into mid summer with my last session, I will probably finish it up on friday, so whoever wants to takte the torch from there should get ready.
We're playing on version 0.47.05 btw. the most recent one from the bay12 webstite.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
We got a petition to errect a temple for the Turquiose Cult so I had to upgrade our little shrine a little.
I added rows of benches and a few statues so it counts as a proper temple and assigned a bored fisher dwarf as priest.
image.png

We also got a petition to let a human bard join the colony and he is vibing with the boys in the tavern:
Untitledfc6f209eb60be8b6.gif

His instrument (they are also randomly generated in DF for those who don't know) is called an "Avi" which appears to be some kind of six stringed cello, played with a bow and all:
image.png

Now time for some action.
As stated above, we are in dire need of wood. The large, tree like mushrooms down in the cavern and elven caravans are are only options at the moment. Seeing how many of our dear Agora Travelers are sleeping on the stone cold floor broke my heart. A small grove of mushroom trees just waiting to get chopped down was waiting down below. But there was a problem.
Trolls.
Yes, a even in DF-Agora Road we are not safe from them. It was just a lonely troll between us and sweet comfy sleepy times. So I sent down the Anti->redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk-Squad which is the name of our Militia @Lonely_Ghost gave them and made me chuckle.
2 guys, one with a mace, one with a pretty well made Steel Shortsword against one troll. It was risky but since they have been doing nothing else but spar the entire time, they were capable of taking on the troll:

With his very long arms, the troll begins the attack but our macedwarf ducks under it and bashes him in the kidney. Like a boxer weaving under the clumsy troll swings, our macedorf ducks again, this time using his downward momentum to absolutely crush the troll's foot!
The hulking monster loses balance and crashes onto the rocky cavern floor, lashing out at our warrior in the process. He dodges of course.
From here on, it stops being a fight but just a straight up beatdown. The macedwarf begins to just wail on the troll, crushing bone after bone with is hefty silver mace.
Later our swordfighter joins in and after the troll was finally unconcious from a mace blow to the head, he beheaded the troll to take a trophy home!

image.png

image.png

Now the wood is ours for the taking!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
...and yet I was careless.
While our lumberdwarves were merrily hacking away at the mushrooms and a dozen or two haulers carrying the fungi wood back up to the workshop levels, they were being watched.
Hanging from the ceiling. Treacherous, stealthy, poisonous. Deadly.

ffa06f0d17000d6125d6a3e61df1833691ce3d0e

A giant cavespider, descending from above on a silk thread, without a sound like the darkness itself, swooped down on an unsuspecting woodcutter:
image.png

Within a few heartbeats, the deadly venom rushes over the poor dwarf and his fate is sealed. With his last breath, he lets out a scream, echoing through the cave:
"CAVE SPIDER!"
I created a burrow to restrict all civilians back to the upper levels and had one pull the lever to gate off the cavers immediately. In panic, they fled up the stairs while the gears and axles from above closed the gate to the caverns behind them. One dwarf looked over his shoulder, a bundle of wood still clenched tight to his body, and saw the arachnid monster biting the now completely paralysed woodcutter over and over and over...
image.png

Oddom Minesound risked his life for the Agora Road. We will remember him, a mason is engraving his remembrance into a stone slab as we speak until we can recover his body and give him a proper burial.

Press F to pay respects.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
With combat, death and despair raging several hundred feet down below, a human merchant caravan came to trade. A few Agora style gemstones in exchange for more wood, a guineahen and a few weapons.
Our cloth production is also up and running now, I see dwarves carrying thread to the loom and storing rolls of cloth in the storage.
In the meantime, an Animal Trainer was taken by a fey mood, grabbed some wood and leather and started working on an artifact... and he created wooden earrings?

image.png

From the earrings hang pieces of leather where he just carved images of gems into.
Bruh, just use our actual gemstones instead of using the equivalence of drawing them on a sticky note and sticking them onto your earlobes, idiot! Now they think we're poor and have to draw our ice!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Finally created some Hotkey to quickly jump between important locations:
image.png

The guineahen I bought started laying eggs in the nestboxes I installed some time ago:
image.png

I ordered about 40 beds to be constructed and also the furniture to equip a Guild Hall. Our craftwarves decided to found a guild and petitioned for a hall.
While the dwarves are just doing the daily labour undisturbed for a few weeks in late summer, I got a worrying message from down below:
image.png

AFAIK amber isn't the hardest material and this should be an easy fight but the deadly dust is worrisome so I will just leave it be there and see what happens for now...

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
The forgotten beast is chilling in the caverns. A Troll came by and completely fucked it up, about every one of its body parts is now fractured, it is now too slow to catch up to most animals down there. We had a few more migrant waves and staffed our Militia a little more, we now have 5 dwarves training every day. Maybe some other Overseer will dare to kill the beast down below. I still don't know what its extract exactly does, heard some of them can be poisonous so I am still cautious.

Luckily an armorsmith was possessed and forged an Artifact Silver Breastplate:
image.png

I thought it was only fair to assign it to our Troll Slayer Dodók Asobód.
Naturally, he likes it:
image.png

He got drip now.

In the meantime, the already pretty mangled Forgotten Beast got into a scuffle with another troll. The fight lasted for several days but whenever the troll used its tusks to gore the Amber Beast, it had a good chance of fracturing its body. So in the end, the troll managed to destroy its head:
image.png

Slaying this beast awarded him a proper title but left him as an utter cripple:
image.png

This time making sure the caves are safe, I sent our squad down to finish the job. When I heard of the arrival of the Forgotten Beast, I drafted some more guys into the militia and one new recruit went in with nothing but a buckler and straight up CRUSHED the trolls upper body into gore:
image.png

But this wasn't without the legendary troll fighting tooth and nail to survive. Before he was slain, he managed to grab hold of one of the new guys and broke his arm:
image.png

That's some BJJ shit right there. Straight one handed wirst lock. Nice. This reminded me to get a Hospital going which will probably the last thing I do. Winter is only a few days away.
With the caves now actually secured and watchful eyes checking the cielings every second, we are now free to collect Oddom's corpse and the rest of the wood, plus some cavespider silk I guess.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Lonely_Ghost

The one
Reaction score
Awards
The forgotten beast is chilling in the caverns. A Troll came by and completely fucked it up, about every one of its body parts is now fractured, it is now too slow to catch up to most animals down there. We had a few more migrant waves and staffed our Militia a little more, we now have 5 dwarves training every day. Maybe some other Overseer will dare to kill the beast down below. I still don't know what its extract exactly does, heard some of them can be poisonous so I am still cautious.

Luckily an armorsmith was possessed and forged an Artifact Silver Breastplate:
image.png

I thought it was only fair to assign it to our Troll Slayer Dodók Asobód.
Naturally, he likes it:
image.png

He got drip now.

In the meantime, the already pretty mangled Forgotten Beast got into a scuffle with another troll. The fight lasted for several days but whenever the troll used its tusks to gore the Amber Beast, it had a good chance of fracturing its body. So in the end, the troll managed to destroy its head:
image.png

Slaying this beast awarded him a proper title but left him as an utter cripple:
image.png

This time making sure the caves are safe, I sent our squad down to finish the job. When I heard of the arrival of the Forgotten Beast, I drafted some more guys into the militia and one new recruit went in with nothing but a buckler and straight up CRUSHED the trolls upper body into gore:
image.png

But this wasn't without the legendary troll fighting tooth and nail to survive. Before he was slain, he managed to grab hold of one of the new guys and broke his arm:
image.png

That's some BJJ shit right there. Straight one handed wirst lock. Nice. This reminded me to get a Hospital going which will probably the last thing I do. Winter is only a few days away.
With the caves now actually secured and watchful eyes checking the cielings every second, we are now free to collect Oddom's corpse and the rest of the wood, plus some cavespider silk I guess.
You were right to not engage the FB. Its dust attack makes anything it hits rot away from the inside out. Luckily we have a water source so it wouldn't have been lethal but it would have crippled any dwarf it hit for life.
RIP Loréfirilì

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Luckily a skilled bone doctor joined the Fort with the last migrant wave. It was a little late and the wound already began to rot but the worst was avoided.
We need some soap soon, if only a bar or two for the hospital because cleaning wounds is very necessary. We have enough rock nuts from our Quarry Bush farm but IIRC soap needs like 3 workshops to turn the nut oil into soap with ash and lye and shit. One of the more intricate industries but very important for the health care.
Our speardwarf's ability to grasp with that hand is lost forever and a good player would probably rotate him out now but I usually just roll with it. Whoever comes next can do the micro management if he likes that kinda stuff.
You were right to not engage the FB. Its dust attack makes anything it hits rot away from the inside out. Luckily we have a water source so it wouldn't have been lethal but it would have crippled any dwarf it hit for life.
RIP Loréfirilì
I also kinda forgot that you already a set up a hospital but I used it as a dormitory and then forgot to build a new hospital. The old hospital is now a big dormitory where new arrivals can sleep until the bedrooms are constructed. It has an eastwards door leading to a smaller room with the new hospital inside.
Some other stuff I did which I didn't mention in the log posts:
Named the levers
Added a few more permament jobs that check for resources regulalry
Built a beehive box somehwhere on the surface

With that my year in the Agora Road Fort ends. Triumph and Tragedy.

My successor can find the new save file under:

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
b16.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards