What's the oldest piece of technology you use everyday?

LincolnJames

Aspiring tiger rider
Reaction score
Awards
thinkpad t60, ibm model m, blackberry q20, cassio classic watch.

Virtual Cafe Awards

AmanWithAPlan

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
i have a vinyl record from about 1954 but the oldest thing i use regularly is probably my Gen 4 ipod shuffle

DOOM95.EXE

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I still use my 6th generation iPod from 2007 in my car every day because it holds 2-3 times the amount of space of my new-ish iPhone. It's easier and faster to navigate with the physical buttons, doesn't rely on wireless signals or updates, and lets a passenger easily choose music without giving him or her access to my phone.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Yakito

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
That would currently be the pair of Genius SP-G10 PC speakers that haunts my house since only God knows when. I would say when the model came out... but it's impossible to even search for products like this. They just exist, nobody talks about them and there were no announcements or wiki articles or anything.

Pentax Spotmatic from like the 60s is probably both my oldest and most treasured item. In the Agora road e-zine you'll notice the backgrounds in my article are photos taken by the camera. Bit of an Easter egg for those paying attention.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
Virtual Cafe Awards

Yakito

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Pentax Spotmatic from like the 60s is probably both my oldest and most treasured item. In the Agora road e-zine you'll notice the backgrounds in my article are photos taken by the camera. Bit of an Easter egg for those paying attention.
These are the photos from the e-zine article for anyone interested in seeing them:

pvRbacA.jpeg

kThUWLx.jpeg

gtVFDUs.jpeg
Looking real good. Love the grain. Is it hard to get the film developed nowadays?

Looking real good. Love the grain. Is it hard to get the film developed nowadays?
Has to be shipped cross country for me since you can't go to wally world or a common drug store and I don't trust the local processors. Its always a worry that you wont ever see the roll again, or that you'll be unlucky enough that it ships next to a radiation source in another package.

So far I've had good luck, but it sure is pricey, at $1 a photo, but nowadays with film doubling in price I'd say its closer to $2 a photo.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Yakito

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Has to be shipped cross country for me since you can't go to wally world or a common drug store and I don't trust the local processors. Its always a worry that you wont ever see the roll again, or that you'll be unlucky enough that it ships next to a radiation source in another package.

So far I've had good luck, but it sure is pricey, at $1 a photo, but nowadays with film doubling in price I'd say its closer to $2 a photo.
I am glad it's not a lost art, yet. I am sad to see analog stuff just dying. A part of me just hope they can stay around.

I am glad it's not a lost art, yet. I am sad to see analog stuff just dying. A part of me just hope they can stay around.
My prediction is that either price will have to come down, or I will eventually be priced out of the market and forced to move into the digital space where the cameras have a 10year tops longevity due to the battery packs wearing out and no longer being manufactured from high quality vendors. Apparently, there are a few out there that use AA batteries of which I have come upon a large supply for research purposes...

Curious to see if any digital camera can best a 60 year lifespan. I think regardless I will be getting a digital camera.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Yakito

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
My prediction is that either price will have to come down, or I will eventually be priced out of the market and forced to move into the digital space where the cameras have a 10year tops longevity due to the battery packs wearing out and no longer being manufactured from high quality vendors. Apparently, there are a few out there that use AA batteries of which I have come upon a large supply for research purposes...

Curious to see if any digital camera can best a 60 year lifespan. I think regardless I will be getting a digital camera.
It is unlikely that the price will come down. Unless for some reason we get a Renaissance of analog mediums.

lemoncat

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Probably my car lol if that counts

Attachments

• 6950F033-4E94-4777-B437-29F743C96654.jpg
    6950F033-4E94-4777-B437-29F743C96654.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 76
  • A67B14C5-DABE-4104-8A85-087CA70D8310.jpg
    A67B14C5-DABE-4104-8A85-087CA70D8310.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 73
Virtual Cafe Awards

xX.majin_TwEeN.Xx

Staticbender
Reaction score
Awards
Website
humanraccoon.com
The only TV in my living room is a 4:3 Sharp from at least 20 years ago. Got a VCR hooked up that gets used nearly every day. There's tons of old consoles and stuff here but as far as stuff that gets used EVERY day, the TV is the main thing.

Attachments

• IMG_20220402_164341.jpg
    IMG_20220402_164341.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 66
Virtual Cafe Awards

Max Chill

Involuntary Hikikomori
Reaction score
Awards
Yooooo is that an AGS-101 Pearl Blue? It was my third handheld and I still have one. Clearly the superior colour. :JunkoLewd: :JahySmug:
Yes it is. And I still hold my belief that pearl blue is the flagship color of all GBA SPs and anyone who doesn't have one is fake and gay :CoolKong:

Virtual Cafe Awards