3D art thread

• Thread starter Jared
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 16109 times.

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
How did you pull that off? Do you need the vm to run Bryce 2? I've been looking for ways to experiment with very retro style cgi for a long time
I was unsure how to install a program from an iso and the vm just seemed like the most "convenient" way and was guranteed to work on the older OS. Windows 98 doesn't have file sharing so I had to save the image to a virtual hard drive then extract it using 7zip (only takes a couple seconds).

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: RIG

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
I was unsure how to install a program from an iso and the vm just seemed like the most "convenient" way and was guranteed to work on the older OS. Windows 98 doesn't have file sharing so I had to save the image to a virtual hard drive then extract it using 7zip (only takes a couple seconds).
Cool I'm going to try to set one of these up today

Virtual Cafe Awards

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
I found the iso on the internet archive site. could i ask what vm you use and how to set it up?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
I found the iso on the internet archive site. could i ask what vm you use and how to set it up?
Yup, that's the one. Be sure to check the text file on IA for the serial key. You'll need it to install.
I use Oracle Virtualbox:
You can get an image of windows 98 here:
I believe this was the guide I followed to set the vm up and install the os onto the virtual drive. Fairly straightforward:
Be sure to download the display driver in the article for full color display and other options. Do not use scitech.
After you've settled in, from the vm's dropdown menu select Devices and choose the bryce iso image to insert into the virtual disk drive.
From there, go to the disk drive in My Computer and the installation executable should be in there. Double click then type in the key.
After that, you should have it installed.
I followed this guide to set up an additional virtual hard drive from which renders from bryce can be extracted:

If you think this is unnecessarily complex, that's because it is! I'm sure there are far easier ways to go about this but I'm far too stubborn. Once everything is set up it isn't much of a hassle, imo.

I'm not at my desktop right now, so let me know if you're having any trouble later and I can properly walk you through it if needed with screenshots and all that.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Good Vibes
Reactions: RIG

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Virtual Cafe Awards

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
Yup, that's the one. Be sure to check the text file on IA for the serial key. You'll need it to install.
I use Oracle Virtualbox:
You can get an image of windows 98 here:
I believe this was the guide I followed to set the vm up and install the os onto the virtual drive. Fairly straightforward:
Be sure to download the display driver in the article for full color display and other options. Do not use scitech.
After you've settled in, from the vm's dropdown menu select Devices and choose the bryce iso image to insert into the virtual disk drive.
From there, go to the disk drive in My Computer and the installation executable should be in there. Double click then type in the key.
After that, you should have it installed.
I followed this guide to set up an additional virtual hard drive from which renders from bryce can be extracted:

If you think this is unnecessarily complex, that's because it is! I'm sure there are far easier ways to go about this but I'm far too stubborn. Once everything is set up it isn't much of a hassle, imo.

I'm not at my desktop right now, so let me know if you're having any trouble later and I can properly walk you through it if needed with screenshots and all that.
I ended up installing 95, about to set up bryce now thx for the help i will lyk if i get lost

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
I ended up installing 95, about to set up bryce now thx for the help i will lyk if i get lost
95 is close enough that it should be pretty much identical anyway. Good luck. :agsmile:

Virtual Cafe Awards

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
1650392628779.png
r the colors fugged or is it supposed to be like this

never mind realized i installed wrong color thing.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
Noob question, why use bryce over trying to make shit look oldschool in, say, Blender?
well to me it looks easier to use and the ui looks interesting. I work in low resolution anyway so it seems like a good fit for me. I still plan to post process my renders in photoshop

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Nice, man. Looking forward to seeing what you make. I figured it would be right up your alley; just remember to slap a nice dither on it.

Noob question, why use bryce over trying to make shit look oldschool in, say, Blender?
Because it's 100% authentic looking, which is far easier to get in the original than learning how to emulate it in a modern program because of the limitations inherent to the original.
Also we're dweebs that like using old shit. I have to say that working in this interface is indeed a novel experience, but it's not too primitive to work with by any means.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
And to be more specific, Bryce's fractal-based terrain is an instantly recognizable look that takes all of three clicks to make and comes with extensive editing tools specifically curated for it.
It simply wouldn't be the same in blender, as far as I can guess, and even if you were to replicate it exactly, you couldn't edit it on the fly with the aforementioned tools.
An obscure solution for a niche issue, I suppose.

Not quite sure what I would use these renders for besides the fun of making them. I suppose they would make nice placeholder images or posters for the backgrounds of room environment renders, as they're always going to be low res. I'll have see what the maximum resolution for renders in Bryce is; my first one was double the default res, but with increased virtual memory I could probably get sizes that weren't even possible with average consumer hardware back in the day.

Virtual Cafe Awards

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
i've got everything set up. started playing around and was able to export renders back to win10.
1650407420302.png

anyone know how i can convert images to a format win95 can read and transport them from win10 back to win95? the vhd used to copy renders out does not support writing

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
i've got everything set up. started playing around and was able to export renders back to win10. View attachment 26393
anyone know how i can convert images to a format win95 can read and transport them from win10 back to win95? the vhd used to copy renders out does not support writing
I use a program called anyburn to turn a folder with images, files, etc. into a readable iso that can be inserted into the virtual disk drive. Sorry, should've mentioned that part.

Virtual Cafe Awards

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
I use a program called anyburn to turn a folder with images, files, etc. into a readable iso that can be inserted into the virtual disk drive. Sorry, should've mentioned that part.
I did end up figuring it out, the hard part was getting the images to be readable. It was a color depth issue (I think)

Virtual Cafe Awards