Is there a game that made you feel heavily sad, for no apparent reason whatsoever?

Cinderu

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
With me, it happened while playing Aquaria, a 2007 indie.

I was 9 or 10 years old when I played it. I simply fell in love with the game at the time. I felt amazed with the beauty of it. But suddenly while playing, without any understandable reason, I would simply start feeling so sad, that I couldn't keep playing. It was emotionally unbearable to keep with it.

Emotionally speaking, I was fine... Before Aquaria came in and changed that.

Such a weird thing. I'm really interested to see if something related happened with someone else.

Attachments

• aquaria-.jpg
    aquaria-.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 141

calico_jack

midwest emo
Reaction score
Awards
CSGO surf but on a server that is completely empty. Theirs something profoundly melancholy about being on a server by yourself.
nobody in vc, empty spawn, being the only vote on the map change. I pretty sure im the only player on a old knife trading server.
Idk why the owner still keeps it up

20220329230829_2.jpg
20211116231412_1.jpg

20220329231225_1.jpg
20220329231708_1.jpg

Also im playing Castle Crashers again for the first time in years. basically just trying to max out my character.
randomly ill get a huge bout of nostalgia and melancholy remembering how i used to play it with my friends when i was younger.
1648611923769.png

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3981

Persona 4, because of the time and place I played it, I attach my memories of december '16 to this game. It reminds me of my secondary school friends too, but now I'm in college and friends here just don't vibe the same as back then.
I feel you completely. I have fond memories of my brother and his vita from way back when he had a physical copy. I remember him giving me bad advice all the time to fuck up my save.

Sometimes I turn on the P4 soundtrack and think about all the stupid shit I did with friends over the summer. Like tears in the rain.

Civuyk

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
For me it's not a game, is a place. My dad used to had an informatics academy. End of 90's it was a time when here in my country you could be a teacher without knowing too much.

Well, I remembered spending summer afternoons in the academy when I had access to my first computer and to the games my Dad used to play. I was little fella when I play to Tomb Raider, Max Payne or Half Life. Cracked games in English I never was able to complete or understand but I was completely amazed. I remember the first time I did the tutorial of Half life, when the radioactive mineral had this reaction and everything goes to hell. That was the most amazing fucking thing that I have been played, and now I understand that no matter how fucking good the game is.

Never is going to be the same, I know that is normal for everyone but growing up is a fucking disgusting thing. What hurt me the most is the fact that it was that moments when I really share something real with my father. He used to help me to figure out what to do next and how to past tricky zones. I develop my love for video games in that precise time with my father next to me.
Then he just stop playing and I keep it, it was a way more extended activity between my generation. One day he told me to grew the fuck up and stop playing those little games. That was the worse
hing he ever said to me, video games were the only fucking thing he used to do with me. Playing those games games is probably one of the happiest time in my childhood. It means a lot for me, nothing to him.

I AM NOT FUCKING CRYING.

Virtual Cafe Awards

selfKaiHarness

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I'd say a few flash games that has pre-rendered 3D objects. Whenever I replayed the GUMP Planetarium Room Puzzle games, it often has a feeling of loneliness and existential aura to it. The Room series from Place of Light often has this feeling of being entrapped in a room that you can escape but often felt nostalgic due to some sort of... aura when I played them.

Few examples i'd have to show you:

(< Ignore this stupid music that this user replaced for no good reason.)

Virtual Cafe Awards

MonkeyDude

Da hood momke
Reaction score
Awards

I was 9 or 10 years old when I played it. I simply fell in love with the game at the time. I felt amazed with the beauty of it. But suddenly while playing, without any understandable reason, I would simply start feeling so sad, that I couldn't keep playing. It was emotionally unbearable to keep with it.

Such a weird thing. I'm really interested to see if something related happened with someone else.
Rayman 2, the first time i played it i felt a weird feeling that i haven't felt playing a game in a long time, i felt like a kid again playing on a ps2 in front of the tv. It wasn't nostalgia because that was my first time playing Rayman 2, I think it's the style of PS2 games that gives me that feeling. Or I don't know, maybe I'm just schizophrenic and getting more and more crazy.

Virtual Cafe Awards

<SIXX>

BXRN LXST CXNTURY
Reaction score
Awards

Idk why but if i play mario 64 now i get sad , i mean like ill still play it but sometimes when i get the itch to play i do ask myself do i feel like getting sad rn to ?? Lol its weird but its what i feel.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Screen.Thief

Agora Road Beachcomber
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtube.com
Holy shit, yes! When Firewatch came out, I downloaded it the day of the release. It was such a blast at first and I loved the beautifully unique artwork and lighting. But as the game progressed and the mystery grew and finally resolved; it turned the whole game into a terribly creepy vibe and changed the whole experience.
The same could be said about Majora's mask, but the dark symbolism has been covered heavily online.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
I guess this is more of an unintentional thing, induced by psychedelics. My friends and I arranged to take acid one night. As we were peaking visually, I suggested booting up the Wii U since I thought I had a save state of the Giygas battle from Earthbound. I figured the insane backgrounds would make for good visuals. I let my two friends (also tripping) do their thing in another room in the meantime, saying I'd call them out when I got it loaded. I was stuck in the living room with my straight edge roommate, who normally at times could be a buzz kill, but he deduced that we were tweaking and just minded his own business on his cellphone while we tweaked. However, upon loading into Earthbound I could not find the save state, instead it just booted me to the post game save. You're in your house, your family is congratulating you on how well you've done and such. I got distracted and started walking around, interacting with everything. I can't remember if I went to interact with the telephone or if the game prompted the player to do so, but either way I did. It was your character's father calling, who was very congratulatory and reaffirming about your recent journey. It struck me particularly hard, I finally made it to university and during that time my biological father had died a few years prior, and I never really got to know him growing up. I began tearing up, had to excuse myself from the living room, and locked myself in my bed room to cry. Until then I don't think I fully processed his death, he was such a distant figure, a string of vague memories, but something about this father/son interaction in Earthbound really just hit me knowing I can never have a similar moment of validation from the man I am told (and know) I look eerily similar to. But it felt good to cry, to confront it and finally come to terms with these repressed feelings I could never quite pinpoint.
1651984735676.jpeg

Virtual Cafe Awards

SELCOUTH

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Halo 2 or 3. Halo was my favorite childhood game, and I can't help but think of all the long lost memories with friends I no longer keep up with. All the all nighters we spent playing, laughing and not giving a damn about anything but the moment. I try to recreate this when I play MCC but it just isn't the same being an adult. I can never truly get lost in the experience again because there will always be something etched into the back of my mind while I'm playing. The last time I was able to feel lost in a game was when Skyrim first came out. But even then, it paled in comparison to what I felt playing Halo 2 and 3.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I guess this is more of an unintentional thing, induced by psychedelics. My friends and I arranged to take acid one night. As we were peaking visually, I suggested booting up the Wii U since I thought I had a save state of the Giygas battle from Earthbound. I figured the insane backgrounds would make for good visuals. I let my two friends (also tripping) do their thing in another room in the meantime, saying I'd call them out when I got it loaded. I was stuck in the living room with my straight edge roommate, who normally at times could be a buzz kill, but he deduced that we were tweaking and just minded his own business on his cellphone while we tweaked. However, upon loading into Earthbound I could not find the save state, instead it just booted me to the post game save. You're in your house, your family is congratulating you on how well you've done and such. I got distracted and started walking around, interacting with everything. I can't remember if I went to interact with the telephone or if the game prompted the player to do so, but either way I did. It was your character's father calling, who was very congratulatory and reaffirming about your recent journey. It struck me particularly hard, I finally made it to university and during that time my biological father had died a few years prior, and I never really got to know him growing up. I began tearing up, had to excuse myself from the living room, and locked myself in my bed room to cry. Until then I don't think I fully processed his death, he was such a distant figure, a string of vague memories, but something about this father/son interaction in Earthbound really just hit me knowing I can never have a similar moment of validation from the man I am told (and know) I look eerily similar to. But it felt good to cry, to confront it and finally come to terms with these repressed feelings I could never quite pinpoint.
View attachment 28031

Such powerful wonders Shigesato Itoi can do with his audience and you cried at the end of the game which is fitting because the slogan for the first mother installment was No crying until the end. I'm sorry for your loss however and I do hope you're feeling okay now.

Virtual Cafe Awards
For me, it was cave story back in 2011. I vividly remember beating the game, but because I was really young I didn't look up guides, information, or anything. Honestly made the experience really unique. I got the ending where Curly dies, you run away with Sue's brother, and basically the world ends. It was super melancholic, and I don't know why but it had a really profound effect on me. I just felt really sad; and I couldn't pick that game back up for another 4 years. still one of my favorites though great game.

Virtual Cafe Awards