Linux Thread

what distro are you running?

• Ubuntu (including Kubuntu and other flavors)

Votes: 25 16.6%
  • Debian

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Arch

Votes: 38 25.2%
  • Manjaro

Votes: 13 8.6%
  • Pop!_OS

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Fedora

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • MX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mint

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • [Other]

Votes: 24 15.9%

• Total voters

semidet

comp.humor.emacs
Reaction score
Awards
I FUCKING LOVE LINUX
screenshot-2022-06-09-12:51:51.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

gwen

戈文
Reaction score
Awards
I was thinking of librebooting an old Thinkpad of mine sometime soon and was just wondering if anyone has recommendations on what OS to use when I get it all setup, was thinking either Gentoo or Arch (which I already do use) but just wanted to see if anyone had other recommendations.
I've been wanting to give Guix a try. I always seem to end up just installing Arch though :D:

Virtual Cafe Awards

GhostCow

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I was thinking of librebooting an old Thinkpad of mine sometime soon and was just wondering if anyone has recommendations on what OS to use when I get it all setup, was thinking either Gentoo or Arch (which I already do use) but just wanted to see if anyone had other recommendations.
Arch is king. Literally no reason to use anything else unless you're a noob or lazy

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Website
myspace.com
Linux Mint is the king. It's easy to set up and use. Cinnamon is a comfy DE. Overall, it's plenty powerful and doesn't get in the way

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
On my gaming PC I use Windows but also Alpine Linux because I just prefer the bash shell and sometimes need its functionality.
On my laptop I still have Ubuntu but also might change that out for Alpine one day because Alpine is so damn lightweight and resource efficient and I only use my browser on my laptop anyway and that thing is 11 years old by now.

Virtual Cafe Awards

0ur0b0r0s

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I tried installing KDE on a laptop this week but I just...I just couldn't use it. It's really cool and I've seen some neat rices, but I have become too accustomed to a WM. I don't have to think about the keybinds now, screen space is efficient, and I don't even need the mouse.
Maybe I'm just more used to MacOS for GUI type desktop experience, and since KDE is more like winblows, it wasn't immediately intuitive to me. Might try elementaryOS at some point then...
But tbh I really like just a WM. Feels sleek, feels like I have more direct control on the machine.

Virtual Cafe Awards

zalaz alaza

hawaiin burger genie 5.04 LTS
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zalazalaza.xyz
I tried installing KDE on a laptop this week but I just...I just couldn't use it. It's really cool and I've seen some neat rices, but I have become too accustomed to a WM. I don't have to think about the keybinds now, screen space is efficient, and I don't even need the mouse.
Maybe I'm just more used to MacOS for GUI type desktop experience, and since KDE is more like winblows, it wasn't immediately intuitive to me. Might try elementaryOS at some point then...
But tbh I really like just a WM. Feels sleek, feels like I have more direct control on the machine.
ive recently switched from years on xmonad to Gnome and i must say i sort of see the appeal.

the big bummer is all the extra stuff that gets installed w just the DE that i dont consider part of a DE, and honestly I don't think Gnome would be good for beginners but the fun is hunting down the config files(mostly css) to customize my experience without using any of their strange extensions. it can be frustrating because w/ xmonad you just edit the config and recompile which is quite simple but ill stick w it for a bit, some of the features are pretty cool and i would not know how to implement in a WM.

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Back in the day when I used to fuck about with linux at home, I pretty much always used Fedora. I don't these days though cause it feels too much like my job. I don't want to stop thinking about linux just to start thinking about linux again in my off hours.

Virtual Cafe Awards

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Debian is the one i like the most besides ubuntu which is idiot-proof for the most part.
Ubuntu/Debian used to be the go-to newbie distro, but ever since they moved to the GARBAGE Gnome 3 shell, it's not newbie friendly anymore. Not when using your PC is painful and difficult because it now has a crappy phone interface. It's like Windows 8 but worse.

I recommend all newbies use Manjaro KDE instead.

Also the absolute first thing I do when installing Linux for new users is disable SNAP and FLATPAK support in their app store settings. Both of these technologies were a mistake and create significantly more problems than they solve. Even just a few weeks ago one of my friends (who is a linux noob) was having problems with games running at ~5FPS because the Snap version of Steam couldn't see the graphics card because of the stupid containerisation bullshit they do. I uninstalled it and put in the "hard to use" and "difficult to install" apt version with 1 command and now everything runs fine.

DonRamon131

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Ubuntu/Debian used to be the go-to newbie distro, but ever since they moved to the GARBAGE Gnome 3 shell, it's not newbie friendly anymore. Not when using your PC is painful and difficult because it now has a crappy phone interface. It's like Windows 8 but worse.

I recommend all newbies use Manjaro KDE instead.

Also the absolute first thing I do when installing Linux for new users is disable SNAP and FLATPAK support in their app store settings. Both of these technologies were a mistake and create significantly more problems than they solve. Even just a few weeks ago one of my friends (who is a linux noob) was having problems with games running at ~5FPS because the Snap version of Steam couldn't see the graphics card because of the stupid containerisation bullshit they do. I uninstalled it and put in the "hard to use" and "difficult to install" apt version with 1 command and now everything runs fine.
I've tried manjaro too but I downloaded the i3 one cause I wanted to try out one of those windows managers. Couldn't fix the audio so I never got to use it.

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I've tried manjaro too but I downloaded the i3 one cause I wanted to try out one of those windows managers. Couldn't fix the audio so I never got to use it.

That's because Manjaro i3 doesn't come with pulseaudio. Install pulseaudio and pavucontrol through pacman, and add pavucontrol to your .profile and your audio should be fine

The i3 edition of Manjaro really requires you to know what you're doing, I would recommend the KDE version instead.

You CAN technically run without Pulse, and hating Pulse is sort of a meme in the Linux community, but it's basically the only mature solution for audio, especially since ALSA doesn't even support multiple audio streams. You should use it.

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
Since i3 came up, I wanted to share something cool that took me way to long to get working. I had xscreensaver leftover from old desktop environments, and when I opened up the desktop dmenu they all had .desktop files clogging it up. I ran one and when it acted exactly like a wallpaper but in i3, I was stoked. After a week of toying with GTK, I eventually found it was the wrong approach and had a revelation. All I had to do was stick exec /usr/lib/xscreensaver/[screensaver] -root into ~/.config/i3/config and that's all there was to it. I'm really happy now because those screensavers are wicked cool :ankhadc:
I'm sure lots of people figured you could do this but I'm still pleased with myself!

Virtual Cafe Awards

wot

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Somehow I wound up on Void. I don't have anything against it, but I just don't know what led me to choose it over everything else. It works just fine and has almost all the packages I want (though GZDoom is a little out of date and the mpd build isn't the best), so I'm happy. Though I should probably get my home server off of it, bleeding-edge distros aren't exactly known for their stability.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I fucking hate linux, i would ditch it in a heartbeat if OBSD had wacom drivers.
I had to use windows 10 for about 2 hours today, this changed my view of linux once again, i fukken love linux. I forgot how terrible win10 was compared to using linux.

Virtual Cafe Awards