Cool cellphones

boywifefailure

eternally tired
Reaction score
Awards
Post pictures of cool and unique cellphones here.

I think flip-phones and old phone models are super cool, especially Japanese ones. There's just something special about flipping a phone open and shut, that CLACK is great. Cellphones are such a cool invention, and I'm glad they exist, I just wish modern smartphones weren't so boring looking. All brands look basically the same just with different camera placements. The only modern smartphones that are slightly intriguing design-wise in my opinion are the Samsung ones that can flip open.

The golden age of cool cellphone designs is over, so enjoy your nostalgia with old cellphone pics here. I'll go first with these: docomo x q-pot style cellphone series from Japan (from approx. 2011)

docomo x qpot 1.jpg
docomo x qpot 2.jpg
docomo x qpot 3.jpg
docomo x qpot 4.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
437258777_bde350293b_b.jpg

My first cellphone was a pre-paid Motorola C139. At the time I thought it was a cheap POS, but in retrospect there's something kind of cool about how efficient its design was. No camera, no touchscreen, no bluetooth or wi-fi, just a phone that makes calls in the smallest and cheapest form factor possible. It's a shame there isn't any way to reconcile the "candybar" design with the functionality of a modern smartphone.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
there's a smartphone company trying to bring back the physical keyboard in a sidekick-style
bkxjn2qm6i6fwvio0clq.jpg

F(X) Pro 1
It's a good sign. I don't like using touchscreen buttons especially for games. I don't know and sometimes confuse what i press.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I just wish modern smartphones weren't so boring looking. All brands look basically the same just with different camera placements. The only modern smartphones that are slightly intriguing design-wise in my opinion are the Samsung ones that can flip open.

20200820121204_cat_s62_pro_128gb_black.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Here is my phone dad uses (caterpillar s62). It's pretty unique due to its design(It's durable phone, not that chinese tacky stuff i come across on alibaba, from a good brand), it has thermical imaging camera which is impressive while the other brands add 2-3 cameras each year and they look identical hence to the point of oversaturation of the market by the chinese brands hence the low smartphone sales these days. If you want older mobile phones, check out When mobile phones were fun. Pretty good series, the industrial design was on its peak back in early-mid 2000s, different from the usual tech videos i see on YT.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u05gxIWYv8k

Virtual Cafe Awards

boywifefailure

eternally tired
Reaction score
Awards
My first phone was the coke phone

View attachment 31373

And it was surprisingly good as a phone. It was obviously a run of the mill dumbphone of the time with the Coke logo slapped onto it, but it worked great. It even had snake.
peak aesthetic ngl, this is sick. thanks for sharing

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
download.jpg

There are semi-smart flip keitai you can still buy in Japan that can run basic apps eg whatsapp, without any goo*le tracking software. I think by now all JP youth have migrated to smart devices and it's only old people who buy products like this. If you're unable/unwilling to go totally off-grid and like the aesthetic they are a good compromise. Using actual keys to type is fun and of course flipping it closed will always be awesome :)
Interesting information about Japanese phones is that the camera shutter sound cannot be disabled, in order that people won't try to take covert photos of others. I think I would like if the rest of the world adopted the same.

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
Interesting information about Japanese phones is that the camera shutter sound cannot be disabled, in order that people won't try to take covert photos of others. I think I would like if the rest of the world adopted the same.
I could have sworn this was also the case in the US at some point in the recent past. A lot of older "point and shoot" digital cameras had a shutter beep that you couldn't turn off, and I have a vivid memory of someone telling me this was an intentional feature to discourage creeps. I don't think it was ever mandated by law, but it was something manufacturers were aware of.

Virtual Cafe Awards

h00

message is what matters
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
h00.neocities.org
This exhibit done by disnovation is great. When the Chinese got the infrastructure to make phones cheaply, they designed and made a LOT of their own weird and cheap phones. Lighter Phones, Tazer Phones, Cigarette Phones. Many are just gimmicks, but some are genuinely cool. Look through and post pics of your favorites, the Analog TV phone is my favorite and is something I'd actually be down to own.

1657069843884.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

<SIXX>

BXRN LXST CXNTURY
Reaction score
Awards
Post pictures of cool and unique cellphones here.

I think flip-phones and old phone models are super cool, especially Japanese ones. There's just something special about flipping a phone open and shut, that CLACK is great. Cellphones are such a cool invention, and I'm glad they exist, I just wish modern smartphones weren't so boring looking. All brands look basically the same just with different camera placements. The only modern smartphones that are slightly intriguing design-wise in my opinion are the Samsung ones that can flip open.

The golden age of cool cellphone designs is over, so enjoy your nostalgia with old cellphone pics here. I'll go first with these: docomo x q-pot style cellphone series from Japan (from approx. 2011)

View attachment 31350View attachment 31351View attachment 31352View attachment 31353I have 3 phones one being a flip phone i dont like to rely on my android for everything. Sure ill carry it around for banking purposes and stuff like that but almost exclusively use my flip phone for primary communication.

Virtual Cafe Awards

<SIXX>

BXRN LXST CXNTURY
Reaction score
Awards
View attachment 31800

There are semi-smart flip keitai you can still buy in Japan that can run basic apps eg whatsapp, without any goo*le tracking software. I think by now all JP youth have migrated to smart devices and it's only old people who buy products like this. If you're unable/unwilling to go totally off-grid and like the aesthetic they are a good compromise. Using actual keys to type is fun and of course flipping it closed will always be awesome :)
I can use this here in the US ? With english language

Virtual Cafe Awards