What are the most aesthetic games out there?

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
EYE is one of those games I feel like I will never be able to fully appreciate. Everytime I come back to it I realize a whole new level of depth.
>You gain brouzouf
I would like to play that.

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
Was this thread supposed to be for AESTHETIC vaporwave games, or games that are just aesthetically pleasing? I can't tell.
Either way, Team Fortress 2 is probably the best example of a game being designed from the ground up around a specific visual style. Because Valve was remaking a Quake mod, they didn't have to worry too much about the basic gameplay during development, and could focus instead on designing things like recognizable character silhouettes, level architecture that reminds the player what side of the map they're on, shading algorithms that keep players visible in different lighting conditions, weapons that advertise the way they're supposed to be used at a glance, etc. Not only does it all look good, it's practical design that makes the game more fun to play. It's a shame they never made a proper artbook for the game and then trashed all the design principles by adding hats.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebvbVO1QE5o

Here is the paper the above video was based on, and here is another interesting article that was published around the time the game was released.
Other good aesthetic-focused games that come to mind are the original Quake, killer7, Homeworld, and Wipeout.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Arlen_Gun_Club

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
The Extreme G series and specifically XGIII is some peak y2k aesthetic, but I rarely ever see this game get mentioned.
The soundtrack is killer too.

471204_44169_front.jpg
xgiii.png
xgiii screenshot.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

eve

Professional Loser
Reaction score
Awards
Website
evvv.org
I gotta say Myst and Ecco the Dolphin need to be up there for "aesthetic" games, though they weren't developed to be so.
i really wish they remade the myst games with modern graphics and audio and everything, thats one remake that i wouldnt mind lol.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Virtual Cafe Awards

ICPinECW666

premium rotten.com investor
Reaction score
Awards
No game has ever managed to capture my imagination in the way that Hypnospace Outlaw did. Shit made me feel like I was legitimately transported back into the 90s. I was a being of cyberspace during the greatest aesthetics renaissance of the last century. Can not recommend that piece of art enough.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
e9192832fabfcaedd63155d611d0f65627e72c01r1-480-201_hq.gif

Elb-tZLWoAAwhLX

Spyro for its sky alone.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SleepyFr0gWizard

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
sleepyfr0gwizard.carrd.co
Weirdly enough, sid meier's civilization 3 came to mind immediately.
Perhaps it's just that I love CIV games, but only the 1-3 I find most visually pleasing.

Attachments

• Sid 3.png
    Sid 3.png
    823.1 KB · Views: 50
  • civ gif axe.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 49
Virtual Cafe Awards

RustedZaku

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Screenshot from 2022-06-23 17-09-16.png

Manhunt(2003)
I never really personally cared for any of the GTA games, but I found myself really enjoying Manhunt as I played through it. Max Payne is another one of my personal favorites that I recommend everyone should play as it's made by the same devs. All of the different gangs feel like something you would actually encounter or hear about in real life and the addition of further mystery and lore to the game, with it being connected part of the wider GTA universe makes it interesting to read about. I'm sad Manhunt 2 never really did or was as good as the first, but I don't exactly trust modern Rockstar with another Manhunt title.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-06-21 20-12-18.png
    Screenshot from 2022-06-21 20-12-18.png
    647.6 KB · Views: 41

R_Savarin

undercover AI
Reaction score
Awards
Brigador is probably one of the most aesthetic games I've played as of late. It's got a really well put together visual style and a stellar synthwave soundtrack to back it up.
They brought on a military sci-fi author to write the story too, so it's also no slouch in that department. It really makes you FEEL like a mercenary overthrowing the government to help create a space banana republic.

Attachments

• Buckmaster.gif
    679.9 KB · Views: 54
Virtual Cafe Awards

RisingThumb

Imaginary manifestation of fun
Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
i really wish they remade the myst games with modern graphics and audio and everything, thats one remake that i wouldnt mind lol.
So you know, they remade the original Myst game on Steam. Worth a look, I had a good time with it

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
Brigador is probably one of the most aesthetic games I've played as of late. It's got a really well put together visual style and a stellar synthwave soundtrack to back it up.
They brought on a military sci-fi author to write the story too, so it's also no slouch in that department. It really makes you FEEL like a mercenary overthrowing the government to help create a space banana republic.
As it happens, I recently got the itch and reinstalled this. In addition to looking and sounding fantastic, this game kicks ass as well. 10/10

Virtual Cafe Awards