Bossa Nova and Vaporwave

karamuki

tired occasional traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
karamuki.neocities.org
So I was listening to 슈퍼마켓Yes! We're Open by 식료품groceries a while back and I think my favorite track on the album so far has been Aisle 1 due to this Bossa Nova style music that was used, and it got me thinking "how come I rarely hear about Bossa Nova integrated into Vaporwave?" I've seen a lot of 80s/90s city pop and jazz used, but wouldn't Bossa Nova be treated in the same way? It has its place in 80s/90s American commercial culture after all as elevator and mall music (which I do feel is a poor use of this genre I enjoy) so I feel like it would be ripe for the picking for vaporwave.

All that to say, I feel like there's an untapped potential in a sort of "Bossa Nova Vaporwave". I've seen some sort of "Bossawave" and some elevator music albums but it just doesn't feel like it scratches that itch for me. Does anyone know any good vaporwave that uses Bossa Nova music or do you think it just doesn't work?

Virtual Cafe Awards

karamuki

tired occasional traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
karamuki.neocities.org
I thought Bossa Nova was a thing in japan in shibuya kei scene which it died.
I have heard of shibuya kei, never really listened to it before but now I'm 100% going to take a look into that music. Makes sense for Bossa Nova to gain a bit of traction in Japan in that regard though. I've seen quite a bit of Brazilian influence in Japan pop music (Brasilian Skies by Takanaka being a clear example of Samba influence).

All the more strengthens the idea that Bossa Nova clearly has potential in vaporwave. And if I can't find any by god I'm going to try making it myself.

Virtual Cafe Awards