Kiwifarms under attack | Veteran of the Psychic Wars | The Internet is for EVERYONE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
At least the Web "Archive" forgot to purge the cwiki

Some schizo posting about this whole situation that I've seen lately pertains to Isabella Loretta Janke, and specifically her father. Better known as Bella, she's the one who tried to get Chris Chan to kill himself among other things. When Janke was exposed, I recall the farms getting a severe DDOS attack.

I mention her father, John Michael Janke, because he is a former Navy Seal (ex CIA too I think) and co-founder of the startup DataTribe.

Now check this out, here's Janke speaking at a conference with none other then the founder of Cloudflare in 2014.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1wio7sDDBA&feature=emb_title

Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
the internet should've been self hosted from the beginning.
I think the biggest issue preventing self hosting is DDOS attacks and spam.

You can still host stuff like an IRC channel, or a telnet BBS or jabber server without getting overwhelmed by bots, with security measures in place but AFAIK anything open and public facing quickly gets overwhelmed with garbage. Even with IRC you need anti-spam bots and stuff. There are lots of great decentralized platforms you can self-host out there but the issue is the sheer volume of garbage data you have to deal with and if you piss anyone off you will quickly be taken down if they ddos you. Even when you look at Usenet servers that are still active, the sheer amount of spam just being flung into the void that no one reads is astounding. As soon as you open a port on your home router it gets absolutely hammered with fucking garbage every time.

My father wanted me to set up a Windows RDP server for him about 7-8 years back so he could access a home server he used for his home business as if he were sitting at the computer. I used an obscure port, three strike then the account was locked for 24-hours for security. The account was locked up constantly and the server was unusable. There are so many bots probing for shit online they found the obscure open port, figured out it was an RDP server and started hammering it with login attempts. I ended up setting up an SSH server on an old desktop, making it only accessible by keypair, routing the traffic on the same obscure port as the RDP server through there using putty on his laptop. The moral is any public facing port you open on your home network almost instantly gets inundated with garbage.

how tf does domain registering work and why can't we just host one ourselves
You could theoretically set up your own DNS server in your basement and assign domains to whatever ips you want. There are some issues though.

1) Just because you set one up, doesn't mean anyone will use it. You'd have to get everyone you want to access your server to agree to use your DNS.

and

2) Like the above issue it will quickly get overrun with garbage and most likely made into part of a botnet.

Some things I've thought about over the years:

I think if you had like, a really really fast home Internet connection, you could set up a VPN Server that is only accessible via keypair and issue a key to trusted users, then they could connect to the VPN in you house and everyone would be on the same intranet and you could have your own little pretend Internet with like 20 guys who all have their own website along with maybe an IRC chatroom, but if you're talking small potatoes like that, nobody in going to notice a little forum with like 20 guys hosted on a cheap VPS anyway, so it's a lot of work for little reward.

I'd like to see someone develop an acoustic coupling modem that plugs into USB and works with smartphones and then you can use is for a really simple terminal chat program that uses the telnet protocol. Because phone lines are considered a public utility, and you need an actual warrant to listen in on phone calls. I think something like that would be almost censorship proof. Again, though that wouldn't scale well, and when you're on that small a scale nobody hears you say gamer words anyway. I think it's be a cool project though, bringing dial-up BBSes into the 21st century.

There are lots of ideas floating around for decentralized ways to communicate online, block chain kind of things, but they almost all universally require some kind of central server to prevent abuse meaning they will be quickly overrun with spam or the centralized server kind of defeats the purpose. Like think along the lines of an IRC style chat where all messages are synced between all users connected to each other. When a user posts a new message it gets sent to everyone on the node. How do you prevent spam though? Who decides who gets banned? This kind of thing could work at a small scale, but again, if you're small scale nobody is paying attention to what you are saying anyway.

It's like, the solutions that would work only work for small-scale projects and if a project is small scale, nobody notices it anyway so you don't need the solutions.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Natalia Simp

My Queen!
Reaction score
Awards

You can still host stuff like an IRC channel, or a telnet BBS or jabber server without getting overwhelmed by bots, with security measures in place but AFAIK anything open and public facing quickly gets overwhelmed with garbage. Even with IRC you need anti-spam bots and stuff. There are lots of great decentralized platforms you can self-host out there but the issue is the sheer volume of garbage data you have to deal with and if you piss anyone off you will quickly be taken down if they ddos you. Even when you look at Usenet servers that are still active, the sheer amount of spam just being flung into the void that no one reads is astounding. As soon as you open a port on your home router it gets absolutely hammered with fucking garbage every time.

My father wanted me to set up a Windows RDP server for him about 7-8 years back so he could access a home server he used for his home business as if he were sitting at the computer. I used an obscure port, three strike then the account was locked for 24-hours for security. The account was locked up constantly and the server was unusable. There are so many bots probing for shit online they found the obscure open port, figured out it was an RDP server and started hammering it with login attempts. I ended up setting up an SSH server on an old desktop, making it only accessible by keypair, routing the traffic on the same obscure port as the RDP server through there using putty on his laptop. The moral is any public facing port you open on your home network almost instantly gets inundated with garbage.

You could theoretically set up your own DNS server in your basement and assign domains to whatever ips you want. There are some issues though.

1) Just because you set one up, doesn't mean anyone will use it. You'd have to get everyone you want to access your server to agree to use your DNS.

and

2) Like the above issue it will quickly get overrun with garbage and most likely made into part of a botnet.

I think if you had like, a really really fast home Internet connection, you could set up a VPN Server that is only accessible via keypair and issue a key to trusted users, then they could connect to the VPN in you house and everyone would be on the same intranet and you could have your own little pretend Internet with like 20 guys who all have their own website along with maybe an IRC chatroom, but if you're talking small potatoes like that, nobody in going to notice a little forum with like 20 guys hosted on a cheap VPS anyway, so it's a lot of work for little reward.

I'd like to see someone develop an acoustic coupling modem that plugs into USB and works with smartphones and then you can use is for a really simple terminal chat program that uses the telnet protocol. Because phone lines are considered a public utility, and you need an actual warrant to listen in on phone calls. I think something like that would be almost censorship proof. Again, though that wouldn't scale well, and when you're on that small a scale nobody hears you say gamer words anyway. I think it's be a cool project though, bringing dial-up BBSes into the 21st century.

There are lots of ideas floating around for decentralized ways to communicate online, block chain kind of things, but they almost all universally require some kind of central server to prevent abuse meaning they will be quickly overrun with spam or the centralized server kind of defeats the purpose. Like think along the lines of an IRC style chat where all messages are synced between all users connected to each other. When a user posts a new message it gets sent to everyone on the node. How do you prevent spam though? Who decides who gets banned? This kind of thing could work at a small scale, but again, if you're small scale nobody is paying attention to what you are saying anyway.

It's like, the solutions that would work only work for small-scale projects and if a project is small scale, nobody notices it anyway so you don't need the solutions.
Any open port can be port scanned, and most home networks are crappy and old and the gateways setup between your home router and your ISP cannot mitigate port scan traffic like the large datacenters can.

The only way out of this is a layered network (like nebula) which can federate through lighthouse nodes, which is currently unfeasible. We would have a network of networks again, like the internet of yore.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Caspar

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

and

Cole_Thomas_The_Course_of_Empire_Destruction_1836reduced.jpg
It's almost like human society functions well at a certain scale, but once it extends beyond that it very quickly becomes dysfunctional and degenerative and all our late-stage attempts are just bandaging a wound which is, at this point, gushing. Although, the idea in this post gives me an image of the idea of techno-barbarism where the attempt is to create little disaggregated networks which retain the utility of early-era internet services whilst limiting it to a scale where it isn't yet abused.

Last edited:

Caspar

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I don't feel like you're being antagonistic. Thanks for taking the time to answer. I'm actually not very online at all, most chan culture etc goes totally over my head (eg. idk what that meme means), and maybe that's why the kind of talk that seems funny to you seems cruel and upsetting or just unintelligible to me, idk. I think that makes me the normal one though.

Anyway there's been people asking me to explain my opinion that Kiwifarms is toxic, which i'm not trying to convince you of if you disagree. And also a lot of abstract talk about internet infrastructure and US law that i agree touches on some real problems but that i don't think is ultimately relevant here. Really the only explanation i've heard for why Cloudflare wasn't within its rights is that what they did is potentially a violation of a service contract they had with Kiwifarms. I guess there's potentially something to that. Is it being litigated in any way? I also find it hard to believe that if Cloudflare's response had been to wait until the contract lapsed and then just decline to renew it, then that would have appeased Kiwifarms' advocates. Am i wrong about that?
Why is it wrong? Because this site and everybody who would've wanted to come to a site like this will be adversely affected by every step that went into cajoling the supposedly-libertarian Cloudflare into promulgating censorship. It's simple self-interest. You could also call it Schmittian 'Friend-Enemy' distinctiveness. The Keffals team is a definite enemy, they will try to censor free speech because their agenda is literally reality-denying. Kiwifarms may be a gossip forum, but gossip is real and tangible - and the crowd around Kiwifarms is decidely libertarian, and pro free speech - ergo 'friend'.

You may recall your internet history, or you may not, but a lot of imageboard and forum admins have claimed to be for free speech, but they ultimately cave to this kind of pressure. ex. 4chan, 8chan, even >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk at one time.

Edit: gossip may not be real (in the sense of true), but it is at least about real things.

Last edited:

SolidStateSurvivor

Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
The São Tomé domain seems to be up now. Also Null has a strategy that doesn't involve just trusting people.
It works, slow to load and some images are broken for me but certainly beats how slow tor is. Even if they're back on the clearnet, what're the odds they get blacklisted by all the major source engines? Even when the original domain was up they were getting buried on Google by MSM propaganda

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

HellManMayo

Please be patient, I have autism.
Reaction score
Awards
Null truly is a one man army. But now that he's blacklisted, there's no way he's making any money off of merch. It's not a matter of whether the farms can resurface, but for how long he can sustain the server and protection costs.

SolidStateSurvivor

Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Null truly is a one man army. But now that he's blacklisted, there's no way he's making any money off of merch. It's not a matter of whether the farms can resurface, but for how long he can sustain the server and protection costs.
I'm normally a doomer in most instances, but I imagine there is some country (similar to São Tomé) desperate enough to get any sort of foreign business rolling in, so long as they can properly tax it. If he's blacklisted from financial institutions then going with old school crypto tactics is his best bet, especially if he has others front for his commerce and forward money on the site's behalf.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
clown timeline

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Virtual Cafe Awards

Ronin

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
pretty bad
"Yesterday, Vsys, a host we used as a forward-proxy, was compromised.

Today, the site was hacked to change everyone's avatars to logos of another site (which I am not naming because I'm not sure what the motivation is behind it).

Then, each node on the forum index was deleted one at a time.

There are backups of the site so no information is permanently lost but I have not diagnosed what the attack vector was yet or the extent of the breach."

Virtual Cafe Awards
Status
Not open for further replies.