Are solar energy panels worth it?

Is solar energy viable? I looked at my estimated power costs after solar and I would cover my costs with $10,000 solar power panels. However, the return on investment happens after 8 years. 8 years is far too long for me to consider using electrical power. It also doesn't seem to take into account damages during installation, roof repairs and replacements. Nor does it take into account cloudy days or night time.

I am leaning on no, and want to wait for advancements in solar technology. It seems to be right on the cusp of being viable.

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Is solar energy viable? I looked at my estimated power costs after solar and I would cover my costs with $10,000 solar power panels. However, the return on investment happens after 8 years. 8 years is far too long for me to consider using electrical power. It also doesn't seem to take into account damages during installation, roof repairs and replacements. Nor does it take into account cloudy days or night time.

I am leaning on no, and want to wait for advancements in solar technology. It seems to be right on the cusp of being viable.
At least in the UK, rising energy prices have cut the ROI time down to 3-4 years. Might be worth checking your ROI figures are based on current fuel prices and not pre-war prices. Friend of mine having solar installed with a Tesla battery wall, can hold up to a day's worth of normal use for them (more if you conserved I imagine). Doing something like that might increase the direct utility of the installation for you as well, cause I can definitely see the draw of having essentially a fuckoff huge UPS for your house that lasts through most power outages.

Virtual Cafe Awards
At least in the UK, rising energy prices have cut the ROI time down to 3-4 years. Might be worth checking your ROI figures are based on current fuel prices and not pre-war prices. Friend of mine having solar installed with a Tesla battery wall, can hold up to a day's worth of normal use for them (more if you conserved I imagine). Doing something like that might increase the direct utility of the installation for you as well, cause I can definitely see the draw of having essentially a fuckoff huge UPS for your house that lasts through most power outages.
wow we dont have that kind of energy problem here, but I could reasonably foresee america undergoing similar energy problems. I think our energy is already subsidized so we don't have as much of a problem. This nation could also theoretically produce enough energy to meet its needs without needing to import any.

Yea, I think the verdict here is that we should wait for energy prices to spike, or for solar panel technology to become more efficient.

America only imports energy because of the green folks and their energy killing regulations. For example, fracking is reduced, and nuclear prices are through the roof. For our most stable energy sources, the government seems hellbent on making them as expensive as possible.

America has some sort of commitment to net zero by 2050. Which should horrify everyone.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Depends on where you live, especially in the US with each state offering different incentives and such.

If I recall, solar panels on residential homes connected to the grid aren't technically generating their own energy, it's just sort of redistributed to other homes nearby, and then the power company buys back the power you're generating at a discounted rate. Again, this is where there's a lot of variables, different power companies offer different rates.

From my understanding of the local laws where I live, once your property is on the grid, you can't technically get off it, even with panels and generators. Although it may be possible to build a new home without getting it on the grid, probably comes down to what the county's building department will let you get away with.

Theoretically though it is a good investment to fight inflation. If the solar panels are working as intended and canceling out your electric bill entirely, then your fixed payments (which ideally are around what you're currently paying monthly to the power company) to whomever installed them will save you from rising energy prices.

Pro tip, if you're going to get solar panels on your roof, replace the roof at the same time so you don't have to deal with getting them taken off when it's time to replace your tiles/shingling/whatever.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards