The Agora road my little pony thread

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I am a near 39 year old man. My Little Pony to me is the thing that came in the girls' Happy Meals in the 1980s when the boys got Transformers.

Virtual Cafe Awards

cuneicorn

on the spectrum of love
Reaction score
Awards
fluttershy > rainbow dash > applejack > pinkie pie > twilight sparkle > rarity. spike is scrappy doo-tier

I'm only on the second season though so I don't have much to contribute to a high-IQ discussion. I will say that so far MLP is the best children's cartoon I've seen since spongebob

/mlpol/ is also hilarious if you like imageboards

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
fluttershy > rainbow dash > applejack > pinkie pie > twilight sparkle > rarity. spike is scrappy doo-tier

I'm only on the second season though so I don't have much to contribute to a high-IQ discussion. I will say that so far MLP is the best children's cartoon I've seen since spongebob

Bro, like 90% of the fanbase think MLP peaked on S2, so enjoy lol.

A bunch of us think the show is not worth watching after S3, so you've been warned

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards

At the time MLP G4 came out it was really constructed with every other cartoon that was out at the time, since most were focused on slapstick. MLP actually implemented character development, which was an innovation for western cartoons at the time. I'm no cartoon scholar so I'm probably wrong that MLP's slice-of-life character development was an innovation, I doubt no early 00's cartoons had that, but for some reason, there was this really weird cartoon shortage between the years 2005-2011ish, so MLP felt really fresh.

I'm not sure how well it holds up against modern cartoons. I've heard Owl House and the frog girl cartoons were pretty good. Not to mention 2010s classics like Adventure Time. Last modern cartoon I tried watching was Star vs The Forces of Evil and the plot was awful, so I dropped it after S2 or S3 I can't remember. Regardless, seeing how low the bar is set, justly or not, for cartoon shows, it probably still holds up lol. At least in the early seasons.

On that note, has anyone seen the G5 movie or netflix show? The movie's animation was great, but the plot was really mediocre, it felt like a dumbed-down Zootopia. And Sunny was a terrible protagonist, what's up with modern writers not knowing how character arcs are supposed to work, it's not even that the character arc is bad. It's the fact they don't even give your friggin' protagonist a character arc. Maybe that sort of writing innovation has worked, somewhere, but I can't say I'd ever seen it competently done.

Anyways, the G5 movie was worse than all Equestria Girls movies. Well, it's on part with Legends of Everfree, to be honest. Fight me.

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
My favorite fictional pony is Bill from Lord of the Rings.
I'm not sure if you understand the Moria-Level depths of Fimfiction, but I assure you, there's a fimfiction out there about Bill from Lord of the Rings going to Ponyville or some shit.

Actually, I know there's a Lord of the rings re-written but with the Lotr characters switch with characters from MLP. Like it's the exact same plot and everything, just with MLP characters.

There's also the infamous 2200-page-long Fallout Equestria. And I once saw a fic (the serious one) that shipped Voltaire with Princess Celestia. Uh. Bronies are a creative bunch alright. Honestly, I participated on their community for a while, and there's some really dedicated and talented writers in there.

On that note, I was surprised at how competently fimfiction is made. It honestly looks more like Agoraroad than a fanfiction site. It has customizable profiles, a facebook-esque wall where you can throw updates about your life, groups, discussions, clubs, a chat... Heck I joined the discord and I was surprised to see people actually having a civil discussion on race and IQ. Unironically probably the most civil discussion I've seen on the topic. All of that is to say... How come fimfiction shits on pages like Ao3 that's still in its beta after almost a decade and doesn't have a functioning PM system...

Anyways. If I wasn't so already invested into Fire Emblem, I would def be writing pony fics.

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
high ranking member of Mensa reporting in, just wanted to share some quick thoughts for any beginners here.
First you have to understand that: rarity = applejack, (rarity | applejack) > fluttershy > rainbow dash > twilight sparkle > pinky eye
fluttershy and rainbow dash are overrated, though fluttershy enjoys an improved valuation due to being less annoying; twilight is midtiercore and pink eye sucks donkey ass (probably true tho). however there are actual connoisseurs out there who instantly see and appreciate the subtle delights of rarity and applejack, who notice are considered equal in valuation though their value is incomparable to that of the other pones, especially when they're together in one steamy scene; the delicious dichotomy of applejacks rawness and hard work mixing with delectable sophistication and grace of rarity, whose spirits intertwine and intermingle until they reach the spiritual equilibriam that culminates in the momentary fury of illuminating hot sweaty action, carried by the chorus of rapturous moaning. mmmmpphhh.
that's all for now, lets get back to the midwit takes

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
high ranking member of Mensa reporting in, just wanted to share some quick thoughts for any beginners here.
First you have to understand that: rarity = applejack, (rarity | applejack) > fluttershy > rainbow dash > twilight sparkle > pinky eye
fluttershy and rainbow dash are overrated, though fluttershy enjoys an improved valuation due to being less annoying; twilight is midtiercore and pink eye sucks donkey ass (probably true tho). however there are actual connoisseurs out there who instantly see and appreciate the subtle delights of rarity and applejack, who notice are considered equal in valuation though their value is incomparable to that of the other pones, especially when they're together in one steamy scene; the delicious dichotomy of applejacks rawness and hard work mixing with delectable sophistication and grace of rarity, whose spirits intertwine and intermingle until they reach the spiritual equilibriam that culminates in the momentary fury of illuminating hot sweaty action, carried by the chorus of rapturous moaning. mmmmpphhh.
that's all for now, lets get back to the midwit takes
This post is a divine revelation

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
images.png

Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Taikon777

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
All pony is best pony. I pick Starlight Glimmer because I am a contrarian.

I sometimes would love to watch a proper documentary about the whole ponyfag craze. No, not the ones that tried to put their tumblr tier gender propaganda onto the fandom, but the actual fandom. So you watch a show, then suddenly you decide to generate tons of websites, news sites and forums. It even had fun altchans too.

They felt like an echo of the 00s happening in the early-mid 10s.

Those were fun times, while I am not totally convinced that it wasn't some spook or social engineering experiment it felt organic and had really high energy. You could practically only consoom pony content and you would be covered on most thing except video games. when it comes to entertainment. They even made a ton of merch, because Hasbro's toys looked like crap. I remember the first plushes being sold for a thousand dollars or more on ebay.

You practically could have a youtube style shillcave, full of merch and art and you didn't gave hasbro a dime. It was all community stuff.

I remember there was even a time when searching for a specific pony's name gave a colored line on YouTube. Not to mention, you would get the "pony parody" of content higher than the normal content even without an account.

I feel like I could write an essay or two about this. Shit was crazy. I miss it.
Ultimately my I had to miss out on a ton of good stuff, like with the 00s and 90s due to things not in my control. lol

Maybe one could make nostalgic pony content for online, I am sure there were a ton of people who had this as their formative experience in their teens and 20s.