So ive been looking into Raspberry PI for retro gaming...

• Thread starter admin
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 1886 times.

admin

Administrator
Reaction score
Awards
As the title says, there is a lot of Raspberry Pi Consoles to choose from but pretty much all of them requires HDMI compatibility. Now I want to play it on a CTR TV for the authenticity but im not sure if it's possible to use an analog cable for these machines..

Does anyone here have experience with Raspberry Pi?

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporghoul

どこにいますか?
Reaction score
Awards
This thread seems to be dead and I'm looking into rasberry pi aswell so I guess I'll bump this.

Virtual Cafe Awards

H1ssss

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
a-fortress-high.neocities.org
As the title says, there is a lot of Raspberry Pi Consoles to choose from but pretty much all of them requires HDMI compatibility. Now I want to play it on a CTR TV for the authenticity but im not sure if it's possible to use an analog cable for these machines..

I know about them

Virtual Cafe Awards

admin

Administrator
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
authenticity?
You know, playing old-school games on a period-accurate TV, scanlines and all.

Back to the topic, I know this thread is old, and I'll admit I have no experience with this.

However, starter kits aren't that much and seem easy to put together.

Amazon product ASIN B07BC7BMHYView: https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Premium-Clear-Supply/dp/B07BC7BMHY/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3NZMVMR8WROJT&dchild=1&keywords=raspberry+pi+3+starter+kit&qid=1614293798&s=electronics&sprefix=raspberry+pi+3+st%2Celectronics%2C164&sr=1-5

You can also find cheap HDMI to AV adapters like this. However, I can't speak for their efficacy.

Amazon product ASIN B07GRXDZCFView: https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Amazon-Adapter-Streaming-Supports/dp/B07GRXDZCF

Virtual Cafe Awards

piemomxo

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Do you think it's worth it to buy a console on esty or make one?
Having made a raspberry pi console myself, it is really not that hard, just load a custom os onto the thing through the SD card- I cant really justify buying a pre-made one because its so simple. An analog connection is as easy as using an adaptor which is not as bad as some purists say it is but still noticeable. As a project it's pretty fun!

Virtual Cafe Awards
Pi 4 + RetroPi is probably the simplest experience that offers the most in terms of customization

I also own a Retron 5 which I like quite a bit. For a while I was just plugging it into my 2nd monitor on my desk and switching inputs whenever I had the desire to play. Requires either a flash cart or original carts though. And, imo, nothing beats using the original controllers

I scored a free Trinitron and have been collecting the original games/systems but, not gunna lie, using an OSSC and grabbing a flash cart would've been a lot cheaper and arguably "pretty much the same thing." I debate selling off the games that I own and going this route but I'm a bit of a hoarder -- especially with retro stuff :)

Virtual Cafe Awards

reynad5150

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

Absolutely love my Rpi's

I have 4 of them. Quite easy to build and the kits are very straight forward. If you need any help, don't hesitate to reach out!

Virtual Cafe Awards