Experiences with the mandela effect

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
IIRC this is an artists reproduction of what everyone remembers so it makes sense that they haven't perfectly followed the current logo.

I also remember the cornucopia logo, they never sold underwear in the UK but I'm almost certain I saw it on old band tees of my dad's.
Yeah it 100% is a reproduction, I believe. I find it funny that some online retailers accidentally used it in place of the "real" logo though.

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
So a question for you all:

On the official emoji charset (like seen on Discord and Twitter), do you remember ever seeing a "robber" emoji?

mauisun_user237

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Regarding the first logo, I was talking about this image. Regarding the "Waback machine begs to differ parts", I was talking about how FOTL claim to have made the current logo back in 2003 but from the archived snipet I linked, it was already in use in October 12 2000.

Regarding the blog post, they seems to have linked pictures from external websites. The screenshot you posted is some standard web error thing.

Analysis of the missing images:

https://external-preview.redd.it/uOPaK9BBzOq3JQKN8SxH7btDQFTzcemCwpumGkkGoL0.jpg?auto=webp&s=de76af7dda73070aec805bb4603c3554c3a1707c - R*ddit image, now forbiden because reasons.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/B38AAOSw-olaJHeg/s-l400.jpg - this image work, no FOTL lgo though

https://d9nvuahg4xykp.cloudfront.net/897220613268053122/1129719193666132932.jpg - broken CDN link

https://di2ponv0v5otw.cloudfront.ne...19c7c78f4171ca/s_5dfd0691afade873a4f41d33.jpg - another broken CDN link

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/~IMAAOSwn1FbL71W/s-l400.jpg - this image works but no FOTL logo

https://d1w8cc2yygc27j.cloudfront.net/195940981482937025/-2008229380676201393.jpg - another broken CDN image

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/hUwAAOSwax5YzvRO/s-l300.jpg - this image works but no FOTL logo

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/...VINTAGE-NEON-SIGN-POSTER-LABEL-100-Cotton.jpg - dead image.

---------------------------------------------

Analysis of the overall situation:

• A musical album featured a cornucopia prior to the arrival of the modern logo. Assuming that the "main" logo history has no hole, it would be impossible to fit a cornucopia in the 1978 design.
  • It is not impossible that a cornucopia was used on some obscure product line in the 1980s (as suggested by a trademark).
  • A man working for FOTL says that the logo used to feature a cornucopia.
  • Prior to 2016, there is no instance people noticing the missing cornucopia. In every earlier instance, people just assume it is here.
  • In the 1980s, the logo print quality was mediocre.
  • In all most all parodies, the cornucopia has the same angle, the only exception being in The Ant Bully.

What I think is going on:

If there is one thing this research proves, is that people even associated the cornucopia with the FOTL even when it could not have been possibly on the main logo. I believe it's fully possible that a cornucopia was once featured on an obscure product brand, but was quickly phased out.

Prior to 2016, there is no explicit mention of anyone noticing that something was missing (I made sure to avoid the term mandella effect in my search). People first noticed on a >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk post where some comments noticed how they remembered a cornucopia. Then the "real" logo apperared on an imgur post and says there is a disinformation compaign going on. Let's take a look of the logo in all it's HD glory:

View attachment 44384

While the logo "feels right" upon closer inspection, some alarm bells are ringing in my bells. As a graphic designer, I can't help to notice that the stroke on the cornucopia do NOT match the rest of the logo. Regardless of whatever there was a cornucopia or not, this logo is very suspcious.

So I think this mandella effect is caused by multiple factors:

• There may have been a cornucopia on analogous logo for a short period of time in the 1980s on some FOTL products.
  • When people recall the logo without direct reference, their minds always add a cornucopia.
  • On some products, leaves ended up being brown and since they are often low res, this can create confusion.
  • In the 1980s, the printing of some black and white logos leave some details up to imagination and people saw a cornucopia.

I said earlier in the thread that I remembered a cornucopia but that this memory was not very strong. Anyway, this mandela effect apperas to not be new. I think the most plausible explanation for all of this is that our mind sucks. Even if it turns out that there was a cornucopia on some obscure FOTL product, most of us would have not been exposed to it when we were a kid.

TODO:

• Dig deeper into trademarks, some appears to be unlisted. See if Justicia is the only trademark site out there.
If it was a brief run of clothing (no pun intended), it seems as though someone would have uploaded a picture of the original cornucopia logo by now considering how popular this phenomenon is, but that really would explain why people remember such a random object in the first place. I'm not saying it's impossible that people just remember this differently, but I think a cornucopia is a pretty obscure and not well known object for thousands of people to remember as the background of a logo. Based on the absolutely bizarre probability of people remembering an obscure, not commonly used object, as well as the tag line "horn of plenty", I'm more willing to be open to the possibility that the laws of space and time can get a little strange in ways we may not understand. Higher dimensions subvert our 3D understanding of space and time so why not?

I don't know if this was posted already but here is an excerpt from a book talking about the cornucopia and its horn of plenty tag line: "he pondered the little 'horn of plenty' on the label"

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Retconned/comments/hz5ang/fruit_of_the_loom_horn_of_plenty_in_my_book/

I'm trying to find my old >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk username with the message, maybe there is a copy in my e-mails somewhere.

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
If it was a brief run of clothing (no pun intended), it seems as though someone would have uploaded a picture of the original cornucopia logo by now considering how popular this phenomenon is, but that really would explain why people remember such a random object in the first place. I'm not saying it's impossible that people just remember this differently, but I think a cornucopia is a pretty obscure and not well known object for thousands of people to remember as the background of a logo. Based on the absolutely bizarre probability of people remembering an obscure, not commonly used object, as well as the tag line "horn of plenty", I'm more willing to be open to the possibility that the laws of space and time can get a little strange in ways we may not understand. Higher dimensions subvert our 3D understanding of space and time so why not?

I don't know if this was posted already but here is an excerpt from a book talking about the cornucopia and its horn of plenty tag line: "he pondered the little 'horn of plenty' on the label"
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Retconned/comments/hz5ang/fruit_of_the_loom_horn_of_plenty_in_my_book/

I'm trying to find my old >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk username with the message, maybe there is a copy in my e-mails somewhere.
Interesting.

Another one:

So you know this warning text that is written on cars' external mirror? Could you guy try to write and remember the specific wording of the warning without looking it up?

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Interesting.

Another one:

So you know this warning text that is written on cars' external mirror? Could you guy try to write and remember the specific wording of the warning without looking it up?
objects in mirror may be closer than they appear (caveat: we don't have this warning text in UK)

Virtual Cafe Awards
My Mandela effects tend to be related to dead people.

I thought Doris Day died in 2013 or so, but she died in 2019.
Had the same with Evdokiya Pasko, one of the Night Witches (588th night bomber regiment). Thought she died during the war for some reason, but turns out she died in 2017.

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
nope, if it existed it was in something unofficial.

Correct, it never existed. Upon learning this information, my brain was like "wtf". I swear I once saw one, but since I use Discord daily, it's not improbable that I just saw a custom emoji.

objects in mirror may be closer than they appear (caveat: we don't have this warning text in UK)

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear

The correct text is apparently "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear" There was never a "may be closer" as many people remember.

Alright so now returning to the FOTL logo. I want to explore the "paranormal" side a bit.

So from what I understand, the main theory is as follow:

• The cornucopia used to exist but we shifted reality and now it only exists in our memories.
  • Despite having apparently never existed in this reality, parodies of the logo still remain with the cornucopia.

Some people believe that our mind just associate the fruits with the cornucopia, but this theory as a major issue:
  • Some peope remember asking what the cornucopia was when they were a kid. If the cornucopia did not exist, then they will have never asked about an object that did not exists.
Furthermore, here's some other variables to consider:
  • Some people remembered a cornucopia before the 2016, although they did not flagged it as missing.
  • Not everyone claim to remember the cornucopia.

Using all those consideration, we can say the following:
  • If there was a reality shift, then it was likely not a singular event (i.e people shifting at different points in time).
  • The "we are misremembering" explanation cannot be 100% false. Even if we shifted reality, there would be no physical evidence of people associating FOTL with a cornucopia. The current reality only work if people did associate it with a cornucopia.

To help visualize the situation, I have made the following mindmap:
FOTL mindmap.png

As you can see, only two situation where ruled out.

If you guys have any idea to disprove or prove any situations, just let me know.

Captain

CEO of America Online
Reaction score
Awards
Bringing this thread back to life because it's the most complete.

I think there needs to be some correlations drawn to remembering this and experiencing any event that could have resulted in death.

For example I remember the logo having the horn in it. In the late 90s I experienced an event where I was drowning (under water)and magically ended up on a rock 20+ feet in the opposite direction of the current (fast moving river with deep pockets)instantly with no recollection of how I got there, nor did anyone involved see me go there or anyone that would have rescued me. Since then I've noticed small things like this that are off. Could be nothing, but could be something. Maybe if a higher power adjusts reality there are consequences. Or maybe to keep you from dying early you are shifted to another reality. Who the fuck knows.

Problem with getting the data is people may not even be aware they cheated death under some conditions. But worth thinking about.

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
Up until this year I was absolutely sure Sally Ride had died in the Challenger disaster, but apparently she didn't and actually lived until 2012. I think this was because I saw a picture of the Challenger crew in a space book as a kid and confused one of the two female astronauts who were killed with Ride, since she was the only female American astronaut I knew. Ride used to get name-dropped a lot as the first American woman in space but she fell off the radar for some reason after the early 2000s, which just so happens to coincide with the Columbia disaster and the government giving up on the Space Shuttle as a symbol of national pride. Maybe I had the wrong idea about Ride because my knowledge of her was tied into an educational-PR machine that just moved on to the next thing.

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Up until this year I was absolutely sure Sally Ride had died in the Challenger disaster, but apparently she didn't and actually lived until 2012. I think this was because I saw a picture of the Challenger crew in a space book as a kid and confused one of the two female astronauts who were killed with Ride, since she was the only female American astronaut I knew. Ride used to get name-dropped a lot as the first American woman in space but she fell off the radar for some reason after the early 2000s, which just so happens to coincide with the Columbia disaster and the government giving up on the Space Shuttle as a symbol of national pride. Maybe I had the wrong idea about Ride because my knowledge of her was tied into an educational-PR machine that just moved on to the next thing.
I wish I came from the timeline where Big Bird died on Challenger

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The biggest Mandela Effect for me is Moonraker:
I have a crystal fucking clear memory of this scene, and Dolly fucking had BRACES!

dolly.jpg

1. IT WAS THE ENTIRE FUCKING POINT OF THE SHOT!
She smiled to reveal metal in her mouth, just like Jaws, and they instantly bonded.
Without the braces the shot doesn't make any fucking sense.

2. It stood out to me because when I saw Moonraker for the first time, I had just gotten braces. So any time I saw braces on TV I thought it was neat.

3. I distinctly remember having an obnoxious kid moment where, since I was excited I got the joke, I turned around and pointlessly explained the joke to my dad: Her having braces was funny because it made her just like Jaws.

4. IT WAS THE ENTIRE FUCKING POINT OF THE SHOT, IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE ANYMORE WITHOUT BRACES!

---

I could seriously handwave all of the Mandela effect away as fuzzy memories if not for this.
I am 1000% certain about this. SHE HAD BRACES!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vitnira

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I swear there's a meaning of the word "turnhouse" where it has the connotation of "catchphrase", but less in a sitcom sense and more speaking quirks. Like for instance, my mom always goes "ooooo-kay then" with the same tone when she doesn't get something, and my MIL responds with something like "it is? they do?" for any fucking statement ("I bought some apples from the store." "You did?"). These are common with older/dumber people as a way of saving brain space and I consider having a turnhouse to be an NPC trait.
They also drive me nuts. Every time a friend acquires one I call them out because it's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

I have no recollection of any family member ever saying "turnhouse" and no idea where I would have gotten that from. I've googled, asked ChatGPT, nothing. Nothing even similar. It's not a dialect of american english or anything.

Posting this in the hope someone shows me I'm not crazy. Or maybe "turnhouse" catches on as an NPC-identification tool.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Venomnik0

Weary Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
that's not a mandella effect, you just read it wrong for years and google figured out what to do with your input. mandella effects are solely large scale amounts of misremembering like the fruit of the loom cornucopia.

sigh I wasn't going to write about that one but I guess I'll write something up seeing as I'm still unsure if Fruit of the Loom performed a massive gaslighting campaign so as to not hurt their brand name. Many people (myself included) remember as a young child the fruit of the loom logo looking like the one on the left.
View attachment 43822
However, according to fruit of the loom, the logo on the left never existed, just the one on the right. Many people recount that they learned what a cornucopia was from this logo bc they asked their parents what the weird brown thing was in the picture. I myself remember the day when I realized I had been looking at the logo wrong bc of dyslexia or something and finally my brain had sorted out what was going on with the basket in the background. The official timeline of logo change on fruit of the loom's website is this
View attachment 43825
as you can see, no cornucopia. So why do so many people misremember this? I did a little digging into their trademarks and found something curious. The timeline of when the cornucopia would have been on the logo was the late 80s and the 90s and all of the trademarks submitted in the 90s do not have a picture attached to the filing. This can't have been the case on the filing date because by US law you are required to submit an image of your trademark upon filing. The most notable one is this one as it seems to be regarding the main brand line. So why no image? Is it possible that this trademark submission had the cornucopia in it but Fruit of the Loom got the picture taken down somehow? Why would they even want that? One theory is that fruit of the loom did not want bad publicity. You see the cornucopia is a symbol of rich harvest but it is also used in some satanic imagery (apparently). In the 80s Procter and Gamble came under heavy public scrutiny because many people believed that a logo of theirs at the time was in reference to Satanism. Is it possible that Fruit of the Loom wanted to avoid that and as such scrubbed the cornucopia from their brand? This was pre-internet so it was much easier to gaslight people (and what also makes this particular rabbit hole incredibly frustrating to pursue). I only did some cursory digging a while ago and I would love to deep dive into this one because when I found out that the official narrative says that the cornucopia never existed I felt like reality betrayed me.

Also there's a fun esoteric thread about CERN and the Mandella effect here (funnily enough this was where I found out about this whole fruit of the loom thing).
I will always believe there was a cornucopia. Either a knock off brand existed or we are living in another timeline.

Also I will say I remember watching Wendigoon's Conspiracy iceberg and was wowed when he described the one time CERN attempted to shoot two particles and it failed due to somehow those particles going so fast, they went back in time just to prevent a world ending scenario from happening.

Virtual Cafe Awards