Unpopular Opinions

Reaction score
Awards
my biggest unpopular opinion.

Junko is the top waifu.
1669454881991.png

Virtual Cafe Awards
Well, one could argue the differences between gender and sex, sex is when we get in the biological matter, you either have chromosomes XY or XX (XXY or XO in intersex cases), but with gender, the things get into a more Sociological, and philosophical, gender as an idea is a mere construct you can shape in order to be who you really want to be, and for that, there is a huge amount of genders and orientations (but i'll leave that to the spectators)

for example, transgender people uses words like "AFAB or AMAB" when refering to their sex or pre transition identity, this means a trans male is identified as AFAB (assigned female at birth) and the opposite with trans woman (amab, assigned male at birth), is what people usually misunderstands, is not that they are not aware, is that people communicate poorly to express their point of views, mostly, out of ignorance.
I don't like the "assigned" part of AFAB/AMAB though. It makes it sound like the doctor decides what your genitals are. I prefer "observed" or "determined". I know it basically means "assigned gender identity" but still, the phrasing bothers me a ton...

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
I don't like the "assigned" part of AFAB/AMAB though. It makes it sound like the doctor decides what your genitals are. I prefer "observed" or "determined". I know it basically means "assigned gender identity" but still, the phrasing bothers me a ton...
Understandable, but that is the thing with ethimology, it tends to changes a lot with time, probably the community will get a new word, to be honest i don't mind much that, i just use their right pronouns and that's it, is really that simple, but again, is just a matter to see if they one day decide to change that term for something less "medical"

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Well, one could argue the differences between gender and sex, sex is when we get in the biological matter, you either have chromosomes XY or XX (XXY or XO in intersex cases), but with gender, the things get into a more Sociological, and philosophical, gender as an idea is a mere construct you can shape in order to be who you really want to be, and for that, there is a huge amount of genders and orientations (but i'll leave that to the spectators)
The thing that annoys me about people making chromosome arguments is like... how often do you get karyotyped? How often does anyone get karyotyped? How do you know that you yourself have the chromosomes you assume you have and aren't missing one or packing an extra one (for sure)? AFAIK, people only get tested like that when they present with serious health problems as a result. I remember reading somewhere that an estimate for incidence of nondimorphic sex development is like 1.7% which is higher than the prevalence of transgender people, so, is it that wild that transgenderism could be a manifestation of that?

this phrasing in particular, imo, is a really cooked up use of language to avoid upsetting people with reality and is a symptom of coddled people thinking they shouldn't have to confront anything uncomfortable about themselves. any linguistic contortion like this ends up just sounding like bullshit, cause that's ultimately what it is, a euphemism for the thing everyone thinks when they read it anyway.

Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
While I wouldn't say Wind Waker is "overhyped garbage" I did get to play actually and it's one of the weirdest Zelda games at least.
-I like how there are some great and wholesome moments in the game.
-Re-deads are bloodcurdling in this game.
-Has great music like always.

There are other things I like but aside from those things, wind waker is really weird. I feel like there's a conflict between it being "open" and "linear" as sometimes I found the game doesn't do a clear job of directing to where you need to go.

The cel-shading aspect is also pretty overrated IMO. I think Okami and Borderlands perfected that type of art style years later. And some art effects look kind of weird like the lighting.

Overall, I think wind waker feels like it doesn't stand out as much compared to other Zelda games. Did I mention that's it pretty rushed too?
I feel like two thirds of Wind Waker is a good game, but it really falls apart toward the end when they force you to find pieces of map and the Triforce. I haven't played through it since my original play-through in 2003 for that very reason. It feels like it wasn't finished and they padded it out and nowadays that's exactly what the original team behind it said happened.

Virtual Cafe Awards
The thing that annoys me about people making chromosome arguments is like... how often do you get karyotyped? How often does anyone get karyotyped? How do you know that you yourself have the chromosomes you assume you have and aren't missing one or packing an extra one (for sure)? AFAIK, people only get tested like that when they present with serious health problems as a result. I remember reading somewhere that an estimate for incidence of nondimorphic sex development is like 1.7% which is higher than the prevalence of transgender people, so, is it that wild that transgenderism could be a manifestation of that?
I had a friend who turned out to be a trans man a few years ago and they did a caryotype before transitioning (or for whatever reason I don't remember, that was back in 2016-17 or so) and it was found out that they were a "true trans" (their words), so probably intersex. Felt like a guy since childhood, but lived as female for a long time, until age 25-ish. Even when they were female-presenting, their voice was super deep for a woman, and I wasn't surprised at all when they turned out to be a trans male. Even with super long hair they were quite masculine in the manners, in... the vibe. But such cases seem to be quite rare.

A former schoolmate of mine transitioned to male starting around 2019 or so but has always given me the impression, unlike my friend, that their "trans-ness" is more rooted in psychological issues rather than an actual chromosomic thing. They're always tweeting and venting about their mental issues and such, and apparently suffer from BPD, anxiety, and probably a couple others I didn't see. It's really a whole different vibe. I still feel the girl inside of them if that makes sense, and I'm afraid they might be a future detransitioner. But I hope not. I'd be sad for them if that were the case given they had top surgery and all

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
Hot take: The need for computer security has been greatly over-exagerated by corporations and is used as a spook to get people to upgrade.

Nothing beats good opsec and just not being an idiot in general.

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Hot take: The need for computer security has been greatly over-exagerated by corporations and is used as a spook to get people to upgrade.

Nothing beats good opsec and just not being an idiot in general.
For a personal computer, sure. As long as you've got backups of your data and don't do anything stupid you're probably alright. For enterprise? well, lol. cyberattacks all the time mate.

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I had a friend who turned out to be a trans man a few years ago and they did a caryotype before transitioning (or for whatever reason I don't remember, that was back in 2016-17 or so) and it was found out that they were a "true trans" (their words), so probably intersex. Felt like a guy since childhood, but lived as female for a long time, until age 25-ish. Even when they were female-presenting, their voice was super deep for a woman, and I wasn't surprised at all when they turned out to be a trans male. Even with super long hair they were quite masculine in the manners, in... the vibe. But such cases seem to be quite rare.

A former schoolmate of mine transitioned to male starting around 2019 or so but has always given me the impression, unlike my friend, that their "trans-ness" is more rooted in psychological issues rather than an actual chromosomic thing. They're always tweeting and venting about their mental issues and such, and apparently suffer from BPD, anxiety, and probably a couple others I didn't see. It's really a whole different vibe. I still feel the girl inside of them if that makes sense, and I'm afraid they might be a future detransitioner. But I hope not. I'd be sad for them if that were the case given they had top surgery and all
Nah, I've definitely come across this as well. I'm friends with a couple of trans people and have come across a lot more as a result of being at LGBT type places regularly.

The vibes are definitely real, both ways, and I've tended to avoid trans women giving off the wrong vibes (it's a lot easier there though cause they're basically just trying to be a man's idea of a woman which sets off huge alarm bells for me). The proportion of people I get the right vibes off is probably well under half which tracks with what you're saying I think

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
For a personal computer, sure. As long as you've got backups of your data and don't do anything stupid you're probably alright. For enterprise? well, lol. cyberattacks all the time mate.
Oh yeah, I was talking about personal computing. You are 100% right when you say that doing this in a corporate context would be suicide.

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
A former schoolmate of mine transitioned to male starting around 2019 or so but has always given me the impression, unlike my friend, that their "trans-ness" is more rooted in psychological issues rather than an actual chromosomic thing. They're always tweeting and venting about their mental issues and such, and apparently suffer from BPD, anxiety, and probably a couple others I didn't see
Had someone from my old school have a similar thing. They came out as trans the same day someone else did, not long after a bad breakup. I remember them from high school, they were very macho and aggressive, very boyish, not someone you'd suspect is a trans woman. They've already started HRT, very quickly somehow.
I also thought for a while that I was transgender. Had a long period of dysphoric thoughts when I was a teenager, that at some point dissipated. I'd dressed up in girls clothes, tried various hearsay methods to disrupt my hormones, grew out my hair, that sort of thing. I have no idea what caused that. Someone close to me who knew (as this was all kept very private) suggested it was OCD, but I don't know. Because of this I feel quite sure that mental health could be a major cause -- especially in our current time -- for wanting to be transgender. I don't mean this to pass judgment on those people nor diminish them. I don't think wanting to be trans should be so rooted in your self-identity that any threat to that idea alone is seen as a threat to yourself; so long as people are under that disillusion, there can't be truly open-minded discussion on transgenderism.
Plus, I know at least six transgender people, that number feels way too high.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I also thought for a while that I was transgender. Had a long period of dysphoric thoughts when I was a teenager, that at some point dissipated. I'd dressed up in girls clothes, tried various hearsay methods to disrupt my hormones, grew out my hair, that sort of thing. I have no idea what caused that. Someone close to me who knew (as this was all kept very private) suggested it was OCD, but I don't know.
As a teenager I had a phase of that as well, though I never went as far as changing my appearance like you did. Maybe experimenting with gender is generally a teenage thing (we figure out our identity after all), and nowadays with all the transgender ideology going around, it literally makes people think they are transgender when they're most likely not... but with potentially awful consequences on the body now. I think it might also been that you maybe rejected your own masculinity or even just yourself, which is quite common in teenagers too. A feeling of not being good enough. "If I was the other gender everything would be better/go my way". I think the way women are seen in society is also a reason why so many girls reject their femininity. It's not easy when most of the time you're seen as something to sexualize from the youngest age. As for men, the push to be "strong", "boys don't cry", and all can also lead a more sensitive boy to want to be a girl. And body transformations may also be, in some cases, forms of self-harm, especially in cases like plastic surgery addiction. You're never good enough, so you keep destroying yourself trying to get better but it's never good so you try and try and... well you know.

I had a bit of a phase of considering myself as "more like a guy inside" when I was 15-16, I even chose a potential male name for myself in case I'd really be trans, embraced my masculine side even more, but what I really wanted deep down back then was to be a guy so I'd get girls to like me (never been the masculine wlw type though, even then I passed as straight), and I still think I kinda flirt like a guy sometimes because of this period of my life, and it's difficult to get rid of that false belief that "all women like men, and I don't deserve women unless I act like a man".

I like playing with the idea of crossdressing lately tbh, but it's a mere playful thing. Now I embrace both my masculine and feminine, still look very feminine on the outside, and still wouldn't change my body at all. The ideology also ruined the idea that you can be a feminine male or a masculine female and that it doesn't really change your gender identity. I think that if anything, it made the gender stereotypes even stronger...

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I like playing with the idea of crossdressing lately tbh, but it's a mere playful thing. Now I embrace both my masculine and feminine, still look very feminine on the outside, and still wouldn't change my body at all. The ideology also ruined the idea that you can be a feminine male or a masculine female and that it doesn't really change your gender identity. I think that if anything, it made the gender stereotypes even stronger...
Gotta say, I lean slightly butch and I am absolutely sick of people calling me "they" or suggesting that I might turn out be nonbinary or trans or whatever it's completely awful and it makes me feel like shit. Is not like I'm full lesbian lumberjack stereotype either, I just wear a lot of adidas and you'd never catch me in a dress. Is why I sympathise a lot with trans people and think that being outright dicks to them is just mean - especially seeing as it's never them doing it to me, it's always like "pronouns in bio/email signature" people who want to flex their 'LGBT ally' creds.

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
"If I was the other gender everything would be better/go my way"
This was sort of what my thoughts were. At some point I started to believe my social incompetence was a result of me being a boy instead of a girl. Surprise surprise, that's not the case, I just had poor social skills.
I like playing with the idea of crossdressing lately tbh, but it's a mere playful thing.
I'm very conflicted on the idea of crossdressing. I have, in private, tried it the few times I ever got an opportunity to and I enjoyed it, up until I hated myself and threw out all the clothes. I think it's been a thing for decades that girls can wear guy stuff and it's quite normal, but feminine clothes is strictly off for guys still; unless you pull it off nigh perfectly, people will make sour faces at you and that's just how it is. Since I've been getting the feelings again, I wonder if I should just accept that I want to do that every now and then. Honestly I feel like I would actually be able to pull off feminine clothes, only thing I'd be stuck on is the voice

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
This thread reminds me, I have another hot take:

I don't like how there is acronym everywhere nowadays, it makes following conversations very hard. Like wtf is a "SO", "HRT" and a "BDSM'". Not to mention that some accronym are ever growing like the LBT one...

Note: I did look up what those acronym meant so no need to expain them to me.

PizzaW0lf

In search of something greater.
Reaction score
Awards
3. Minecraft parody songs were and still are great.
They're incredible. Just a bunch of nerds singing about a game they like. Some of the songs became MORE popular than the source song.

I don't know about new ones though...

Virtual Cafe Awards