Flat earth is a psyop

• Thread starter xesxss
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 2457 times.

Flat Earth is a psyop.

I always thought the flat earth dellusion was a bit odd, but something darker underlies all its cookiness.
Everyone has heard of this conspiracy theory, and it was propogated to distract people from real hidden information.
Since 2013 The freedom of information act, many declassified documents have come out of the CIA.
Some of these document however have been heavily "sanitized" and some key information has been redacted.
Some full pages from reports where entirelly gone.

More so,

The flat earth dellusion was meant to point our minds to think the alternative is absurd.
When comparing your average person to the flat earther there is such a divide between them.
Divide and conqueer.

Ⓛⓐⓘⓝ,
Lₐₛₜ Accₑₛₛ Iₙ NᵤₗₗSₚₐcₑ

Yabba

Ex Fed
Reaction score
Awards
Interesting but, what information do you think there distracting from?

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
Interesting but, what information do you think there distracting from?
It's not a cover for any one thing in particular. The idea is to popularize a ridiculous "conspiracy theorist" stereotype that they can then use against anyone with legitimate concerns about government corruption. Wondering why the Biden family had so many business connections in the Ukraine? Got questions about Pfizer and COVID-19? You must also believe the earth is flat and that little green men secretly rule the world. Studies show™ that people who believe in one conspiracy theory always believe in all the other ones.
It's all the work of corrupt politicians and businessmen who want the public to automatically reject the idea that people in power might not have their best interests at heart.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Yabba

Ex Fed
Reaction score
Awards
It's not a cover for any one thing in particular. The idea is to popularize a ridiculous "conspiracy theorist" stereotype that they can then use against anyone with legitimate
Aah ok. That makes sense, thanks for explaining.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Fairykang

Cybernetic Esotericist
Reaction score
Awards
Hoodwink christians into an ideological rabbit hole that makes them less appealing would be my first bet. Similar to how Q was a psyop to make Trump supporters look deranged.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The idea is to popularize a ridiculous "conspiracy theorist" stereotype that they can then use against anyone with legitimate concerns about government corruption.
So it's a classic red herring. Makes sense.

Also probably of note to some people here, Folding Ideas did a good job chronicling how and why people fell into flat earth conspiracy circles in the first place, and how those people then migrated en masse to QAnon. Behind The Curve on Netflix is also a great examination of flat earth cultural circles.

Virtual Cafe Awards

RealTomCruise

Internet Pilgrim
Reaction score
Awards
It's not a cover for any one thing in particular. The idea is to popularize a ridiculous "conspiracy theorist" stereotype that they can then use against anyone with legitimate concerns about government corruption. Wondering why the Biden family had so many business connections in the Ukraine? Got questions about Pfizer and COVID-19? You must also believe the earth is flat and that little green men secretly rule the world. Studies show™ that people who believe in one conspiracy theory always believe in all the other ones.
It's all the work of corrupt politicians and businessmen who want the public to automatically reject the idea that people in power might not have their best interests at heart.
I've suspected this for quite some time but the amount of name calling during Covid confirmed my beliefs it's just to discredit genuine concerns. Looking back it was definitely forced out to seem much more of a prevalent view then in actuality.

Virtual Cafe Awards
To be honest, now that I think of it, all the Qanon/flat earther/"conspiracy theorists"/"climate change deniers"/others feels just so goddamn ridiculous that I'm starting to think it really IS indeed a psyop designed to make the masses side with the Holy Only One Truth™ of the Official Sources™ and Science™. I think that while looners and extremist exist in such groups, their role and the influence they have is properly exaggerated to nudge the masses into demonizing them and silencing any alternative point of view.

Let's see this from another angle: conspiracy theorists can just be curious people interested in the alternative side of things, even the more outlandish one. It is true that many politicians and governors, if not all, are involved in some proper shady stuff and mostly pursuing their own self-interest rather than the populace's. No one can deny there is a climate change and that the environment is polluted by our ways of life, but to put this strictly on human activity (for the climate, not the obviously man-made pollution by the people who tell you to stop using plastic yet still wrap their fucking biscuits in plastic packs, but that's another story entirely) knowing that we gravitate around a gigantic star that has cycles has always felt hazardous in my opinion. Qanon might just be a bunch of trolls that has drawn in some really weird people that now toot louder than the OG trolls. Same for flat earthers really. I'm sure the flat earth thing started out as a joke that has just happened to draw in some really crazy people.

It's indeed divide and conquer, blatantly so. There is a huge element of gaslighting as well. News articles that disappear and then are claimed to have never existed, constant U-turns, something that was conspiracy 6 months ago becomes reality now... all of this is designed so you don't trust yourself anymore and put your trust in the hands of Big Daddy, who knows better than you, pathetic dumb little consumer who doesn't know any better than to misbehave because you're actually an overgrown kid that still needs a daddy substitute.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Unfortunately flat earthers are very real (and very retarded.) A group of them used to table at our downtown farmers market on the weekends. Just as there are gullible people who will believe all the state/corporate propaganda at face value there are dumbasses who will believe everything on Facebook. These types of movements have been around for a while now, so in the case of modern flat earth I wouldn't say it's a deliberately planned out psyop, at it's most sinister maybe it's propagated by trolls looking to mess with the gullible.

But like @№56 said, the media/officials popularizing and associating absurd/fringe conspiracies like flat earth with legitimate questioning of the narrative is seemingly deliberate. It is propaganda as a means of subconsciously assassinating a skeptic's character to normies the moment they step out of line to openly question things like covid, unethical government behavior, etc. This association they have created poisons the well of ideas essentially.

Virtual Cafe Awards

stonehead

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
argusarts.com
You see stuff like this online all the time, and while it's an interesting idea, I don't see any reason to take it seriously. I mean, it might be possible, but there's literally no evidence other than a few anonymous posts on the internet speculating wildly.

"X benefits Y so Y must have caused X" isn't a sufficient argument.

For a group of people who claim to be "skeptical independent thinkers" there sure are a lot of them blindly believing what some guy said.

Yabba

Ex Fed
Reaction score
Awards
News articles that disappear and then are claimed to have never existed, constant U-turns, something that was conspiracy 6 months ago becomes reality now... all of this is designed so you don't trust yourself anymore and put your trust in the hands of Big Daddy, who knows better than you, pathetic dumb little consumer who doesn't know any better than to misbehave because you're actually an overgrown kid that still needs a daddy substitute.
God this was turned up to 11 during the pandemic. It seemed like every day the information was changing, leaving everyone trying to keep up with the situation dazed and confused. On a personal note I swear that I saw a news article from the Guardian suggesting that corona was made in a lab, and the next day it was gone. No record, nobody talking about it just gone. It's amazing what the government and the corps can erase if they set there minds to it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
God this was turned up to 11 during the pandemic. It seemed like every day the information was changing, leaving everyone trying to keep up with the situation dazed and confused. On a personal note I swear that I saw a news article from the Guardian suggesting that corona was made in a lab, and the next day it was gone. No record, nobody talking about it just gone. It's amazing what the government and the corps can erase if they set there minds to it.
I swear I had the exact same thing happen with those news stories talking about how the Chinese were literally dropping in the streets when covid was first getting hyped up, but then I couldn't find it again.

Virtual Cafe Awards

wot

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
It's because of bizarre theories like this that imageboards are the feds'/media's best friend. They're a very easy place to astroturf this bullshit, so that what once was a strawman (or at most a handful of idiots) is now a thing that a non-negligible amount of people believe. Enough people to where an ordinary person can't just go "dude nobody believes this, get real" anymore.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I swear I had the exact same thing happen with those news stories talking about how the Chinese were literally dropping in the streets when covid was first getting hyped up, but then I couldn't find it again.
I think the Chinese dropping in the streets was fake though. And proven to be so.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
I think the Chinese dropping in the streets was fake though. And proven to be so.
I didn't mean to imply it was real, but I certainly recall it was reported on in such a way to imply that it was/fear monger.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Flat earthers are just this pic in hyperdrive:
1670939635635.png

It's a joke and still is among many who pretend to be flat earthers. If you think there's more to it, you're part of the punchline.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I didn't mean to imply it was real, but I certainly recall it was reported on in such a way to imply that it was/fear monger.
At the time I was working in the research portion of a highly respected hospital, one of the very few in the country that had received some sort of certification of preparedness for flu-like pandemics (though that is not the field I worked in). I distinctly remember receiving links through slack to scientific/medical articles claiming there would soon be "bodies in the streets" in the US in like late February, 2020. Of course I was never able to find those articles a year+ later when I tried to. But I can tell you the details of the exact in-person conversations I had regarding those articles: who I was with, where we were standing, the time of day, etc.

At the time I remember thinking that it was just going to be another H1-N1, swine flu, Ebola, etc., situation where a few people would sadly die and some more would get sick but ultimately be fine and then it would just go away. Reading those articles at the time I believed them to be a combination of infectious disease experts trying to justify their own existence, and political hit pieces by bureaucrat scientists who were mad that their funding was cut when Trump killed off the pandemic response team. I'm convinced that if you were somehow able to find those articles today and read through them, even knowing that the pandemic did end up being a real thing, they'd still read like that.

Virtual Cafe Awards

stonehead

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
argusarts.com
Flat earthers are just this pic in hyperdrive:
View attachment 46548
It's a joke and still is among many who pretend to be flat earthers. If you think there's more to it, you're part of the punchline.
I think it started like that, for sure. But what proportion of pretenders to idiots does there need to be for there to be "more to it"?

I'm sure a few of the attendees of cons like this
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H110vCGvTmM
are just going as a bit, but it's hard for me to imagine that the con organizers are just doing it ironically. That's a huge amount of effort to go to for one joke.

I make flat earth jokes as much as the next guy, but I think the genuine believers have overtaken the dedicated larpers in the subculture.

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
It's because of bizarre theories like this that imageboards are the feds'/media's best friend. They're a very easy place to astroturf this bullshit, so that what once was a strawman (or at most a handful of idiots) is now a thing that a non-negligible amount of people believe. Enough people to where an ordinary person can't just go "dude nobody believes this, get real" anymore.
saw some meme, but got buried under other posts and dont remember name or "where" in-there.
the premise was:

people were arguing about conspiracies (not the shift that word means now, but what it mean before, in past)
then glowwies came, nudged "tinfoil-head" inside - to make them disappear.

so yes, it is believable

Virtual Cafe Awards