What were you ACTUALLY born in the wrong generation for?

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
even tho i hate college i don't see the anti-academic attitudes
My understanding is that the utilitarian attitudes and trade schools of the early 20th century put pressure on academic institutions to fend for themselves free market style, which turned them into entities closer to businesses than traditional academic institutions. I don't think this was a positive adaptation, and it's turned state-mandated secondary education into a babysitter for kids until they are old enough to funnel into university. Anyway, universities are caught up in making themselves appealing and trendy, in providing bleeding-edge education experience, promising you that you'll get a job, and especially interested in roping in Chinese kids whose parents have fat wallets to pay inflated international student fees, I doubt you could study the classics in a way scholars would have before the 20th century without all the globohomo crap being thrown on top. At least the Internet has made it possible to do it yourself.

Virtual Cafe Awards

greyetch

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
grwfoote.bandcamp.com
I was supposed to have died in battle by now. I should have fathered many children, stabbed some fuckers, and gotten stabbed. I should have bled out in some shithole farmland for the ego of some king I've never met.

That and straight up pre-agricultural revolution. I should have been scavenging meat, running from predators, worshipping the sun, making cave painting, etc, before dying of an infection at age 30 surrounded by my children and grand children.

I should have been a shaman. We haven't filled that role in modernity. "Oh greyetch, it hasn't rained in two weeks, are the gods mad?" Then I say "I do not know, my child. Prepare the sacraments, I will fast for 3 days before taking a heroic dose and nearly dying of exposure." Then I return and tell them "yes, the gods are mad, we must stack stones in this sacred geometric pattern". They all thank me, I'm a hero, I die in two years when I eat the wrong mushroom (providing the next generation of shamans with a valuable lesson in mycology).

combined gifs GIF

Virtual Cafe Awards

stonehead

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
argusarts.com
It's interesting how many of these are jobs. It does make sense, If a musician dies you can still listen to recordings, if an author dies you can still read their books, but if an industry dies, you can never make it your profession. Even with dead games, it's not that hard to convince a few friends to play something with you.

You can never be an artisan though. You can never earn a reasonable salary handcrafting goods for other people :agcry:

CahCaw

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
cahcaw.nl
To live in the forest without some authority making a fuss about it. I built a treehouse in the Netherlands, but due to the way the laws work I'm knee-deep covered in shit, whereby I needed to scream to the local press about how I had suicidal tendencies, and the treehouse helped me massively to dampen them. This is among other overdramatic truths, just to get enough people to pity me, so I could create retroaction & keep my damn treehouse (legit worked miracle after miracle. Although we're not in the safe yet). All I want to do is just to be left alone, with some good friends of mine, in a forest. I hate this damn modern world. I hate the cars, the taxes, the way we've set up this whole society so everyone feels 'empowered', yet in reality we're all sucked dry by some rich guy & we're all lonely af. I'm born in the wrong generation - whereby the right generation is the generation where we still had tribes and were running around naked all day in the forest. Ooga booga.

Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
You can never be an artisan though. You can never earn a reasonable salary handcrafting goods for other people :agcry:
I know some people who live off their etsy earnings so idk man

To live in the forest without some authority making a fuss about it. I built a treehouse in the Netherlands, but due to the way the laws work I'm knee-deep covered in shit, whereby I needed to scream to the local press about how I had suicidal tendencies, and the treehouse helped me massively to dampen them. This is among other overdramatic truths, just to get enough people to pity me, so I could create retroaction & keep my damn treehouse (legit worked miracle after miracle. Although we're not in the safe yet). All I want to do is just to be left alone, with some good friends of mine, in a forest. I hate this damn modern world. I hate the cars, the taxes, the way we've set up this whole society so everyone feels 'empowered', yet in reality we're all sucked dry by some rich guy & we're all lonely af. I'm born in the wrong generation - whereby the right generation is the generation where we still had tribes and were running around naked all day in the forest. Ooga booga.
dude I feel this. All I want to do is explore nature sometimes but everything is someone's property and that someone doesn't want to see you on their land. I miss when I was a kid and I could explore the woods between suburbs without people being worried that I was a threat to them

Virtual Cafe Awards

jaedaen

Stay a while, and listen.
Reaction score
Awards
I think if I were young today, I might say that the biggest thing I missed out on in recent history (from my current perspective in my early 40s), is that you all never were allowed the freedom to just roam the neighborhood like I was able to as a kid in the 80s/90s. According to the news, a pedophile is ALWAYS READY TO SNATCH YOU UP, after all, never mind the statistics that you're far more likely to get abused by someone in your family than a random stranger. Back in those days, your bike was your car, every kid I knew had one, and sometimes you would just roll over to your friends house and see if he was home without calling. If they weren't, no big deal, you'd just ride home. I remember finding pried open sewer gates and exploring them like they were a cave, like I was a D&D adventurer or something. The world was no less dangerous then I think, and I feel like the doom and gloom 24/7 news cycle contributes to this awful culture of coddling your children, without allowing them to make decisions and risks outside of adult supervision. These actions, I feel like, help build us in to adults that have a lot of self confidence. Gentle support of children is healthy, of course, but I feel like we're too far on the side of not allowing our kids some measure of healthy autonomy. Even if you wanted to allow your kids to roam free, I think the culture has changed significantly enough to where you'd have the cops called on you for doing so now, which I think is really backwards.

As for me, it's really hard to say. It's tempting to say that I wish I could have been a hippie in the 60s, but I feel like the rave thing in the 90s was pretty similar in the most important ways. I'd really have loved to have been able to see Paganini play violin, but none of us will ever know what he sounded like, because he lived before recording him was an option. Franz Liszt was supposed to be the first 'classical rock star' so it'd be cool to see him. I'd love to have seen Beethoven conducting one of his symphonies. I'd have loved to have seen the first run of Swan Lake in 19th century Russia. I'd have loved to have seen Shakespeare perform one of his raunchy baudy plays in the middle of a rough half drunk crowd, and not in the erudite middle/upper class atmosphere of the people that see him today. I'd love to have been in court when Babbage revealed his difference engine. Better yet, wouldn't it have been cool to have seen the Antikythera mechanism back in the old greek times? How about listening to the original performance of the Epitaph of Seikilos at her funeral, 2000 years ago?

I don't think I'd actually want to go back and live in any of those times given the standard of living that we have now though relative to any of the times I've mentioned. I'd rather just be a Time Tourist.

I guess for me, it's all rooted in historical fine arts/scientific milestones in history, relative to what we consider to be important now. I'm sure there are many other things I'd loved to have seen that, unfortunately, do not get any recognition today, because they have been long since forgotten in time.

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
I think if I were young today, I might say that the biggest thing I missed out on in recent history (from my current perspective in my early 40s), is that you all never were allowed the freedom to just roam the neighborhood like I was able to as a kid in the 80s/90s. According to the news, a pedophile is ALWAYS READY TO SNATCH YOU UP, after all, never mind the statistics that you're far more likely to get abused by someone in your family than a random stranger.
Yeah, from what I know, pedophiles don't try just snatching children unless they are absolute dumb asses, the ones who do won't be around very long though because they'd get found out easily. They usually try to do things covertly, such as you said by abusing family members, finding kids from broken homes, or gaining the trust of single mothers, etc. Even more likely though is your chuildren getting groomed online, yet we allow them total free reign on the Internet! This whole idea is so hypocritical, not only do we only apply it unevenly, but it doesn't make children safer in the long term because they become unable to be independent.
God my dad is just like you say, he describes far out situations where my little brother is standing at the school gate and suddenly a pedophile swoops in and captures him in front of at dozen pairs of eyes and no commotion is made. I don't bother to argue because his paranoia is in control, you can't argue with that.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I think if I were young today, I might say that the biggest thing I missed out on in recent history (from my current perspective in my early 40s), is that you all never were allowed the freedom to just roam the neighborhood like I was able to as a kid in the 80s/90s. According to the news, a pedophile is ALWAYS READY TO SNATCH YOU UP, after all, never mind the statistics that you're far more likely to get abused by someone in your family than a random stranger. Back in those days, your bike was your car, every kid I knew had one, and sometimes you would just roll over to your friends house and see if he was home without calling. If they weren't, no big deal, you'd just ride home. I remember finding pried open sewer gates and exploring them like they were a cave, like I was a D&D adventurer or something. The world was no less dangerous then I think, and I feel like the doom and gloom 24/7 news cycle contributes to this awful culture of coddling your children, without allowing them to make decisions and risks outside of adult supervision. These actions, I feel like, help build us in to adults that have a lot of self confidence. Gentle support of children is healthy, of course, but I feel like we're too far on the side of not allowing our kids some measure of healthy autonomy. Even if you wanted to allow your kids to roam free, I think the culture has changed significantly enough to where you'd have the cops called on you for doing so now, which I think is really backwards.
(not OC, found of Quora, copy-pasted)

Are Japanese toddlers as independent as Netflix's Old Enough portrays them?

by
Ithamar Paraguassu Ramos
Webcomics, Comic book and children´s book AUthor (1996–present)Updated Jan 2
yes, and the craziest thing is that Americans used to be too.
main-qimg-712b0bed304f16ba0dc1627f268f965d-lq

That thing you saw in films abouts 50s to 70s with small children hanging around in nearby woods, and working witth tools to build their own toys is not fantasy or fictions.
main-qimg-6c429c77b0c84019ea632bdf237785ea-lq

Untill the early 80s, tools for cgildren arent made of plastic.
They were just functional tools, just smaller, and those are view as cheap toys.

And those dont even enter in the lists of dangerous toys, they gave crazy stuff to kids play in the old times.
main-qimg-8db9586624b597148810784f2d3f9bce-lq

And the 80s, children around 9 - 11 were views as responsible enough to go home and stay there by themselves until the parents got home after work.

This thing to treat children as incapable is very recent.
Is a thing just from American Millenials and Zoomers only.
Most countrys find USa a bit creepy for that.

I was talking with a person who ask me if 13 years old kids need babysitters and I said that in may time that was the age of babysitters.
With 5 and 6, my parents called a 12 yo neighbor to look at us while they go out.
And at 13 my classmates were babysitters.
That series of books from "the babysitters club" its not fantasy, girls that age were babysitters.
main-qimg-8a87e323ba41cda2def0d3726bb97e5e-lq

In older generations we had very few people raised like incapable children and helicopter parents are very rare.

And to say the truth that happens in the majority of countries in the world.

This "protection" Americans being suffering in the last decades is actually abuse, and is clearly that the last generations create a great number of non functional adults, that show clear signs of abuse.

And wen I say "Americans" i like to let clear that we become the exception, most countries in the world kids are raised to be independent as possible.
main-qimg-93d400278b55e73266dec73535cc8873-lq

The irony is that we see a lot of people saying how safer the old time are, but with modern projected neigborhoods and harsher safety laws on all kinds of product, we have places with a safety that dont even existed in none place of the world in the 50s and 60s.
main-qimg-9c1d15b8e5ec498819301b93b18c797b-pjlq

I remember very well when the media started to profit with the fear of parents, making everybody paranoic with a wave of histories of children being harmed.
And never stopped, a case that happens in the other side of the country they maker a fuss that people feel is something that happens every day in every place.

The sad part in our times, is that there was a weird conception that raising children to be independent is equal to unsafe.
Or that to make independent children you need to make then unsafe for some reason.
I personally had a problem with this odd conception, because the reality is exactly the opposite: Being independent is to be more prepared and be safer.

Often those "protected" children end being raised to be victims, the opposite to be protected or to be safer..
main-qimg-06f74ce6e4561655661e7745851cfa19-lq

87.4K views
View 1,739 upvotes
View 16 shares

Virtual Cafe Awards

vermillion

In the Breeze
Reaction score
Awards
You weren't born too late to listen to Jimmy Hendricks, the proof is that you're commenting on a song of his that you just listened to.
You're right about that part and I think about that often. The wonder of the Internet and technology allows to listen to records past and present from popular to obscure and discover music at a rate that we could never have achieved, say 50 years ago. (I was going to say 30 years ago, but that's only 1993 lol) Furthermore, we can watch live performances that could otherwise never be experienced in the past if you had missed them.
I love that about Internet and the present, so if I had the opportunity to go back 40 years forever, I don't think I would take it, no matter how much I tend to romanticize the 80s.

To answer your question though, I think that I was born too late to actually go see those performances that I like. Sure I can watch them at home on my monitor just fine, but I think watching on a screen and actually being there is a completely different experience. I would've loved to go to live performances of groups such as Yellow Magic Orchestra for example.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
You're right about that part and I think about that often. The wonder of the Internet and technology allows to listen to records past and present from popular to obscure and discover music at a rate that we could never have achieved, say 50 years ago. (I was going to say 30 years ago, but that's only 1993 lol) Furthermore, we can watch live performances that could otherwise never be experienced in the past if you had missed them.
I love that about Internet and the present, so if I had the opportunity to go back 40 years forever, I don't think I would take it, no matter how much I tend to romanticize the 80s.

To answer your question though, I think that I was born too late to actually go see those performances that I like. Sure I can watch them at home on my monitor just fine, but I think watching on a screen and actually being there is a completely different experience. I would've loved to go to live performances of groups such as Yellow Magic Orchestra for example.
Based Lum Enjoyer

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
(not OC, found of Quora, copy-pasted)
Are Japanese toddlers as independent as Netflix's Old Enough portrays them?

by
Ithamar Paraguassu Ramos
Webcomics, Comic book and children´s book AUthor (1996–present)Updated Jan 2
yes, and the craziest thing is that Americans used to be too.
main-qimg-712b0bed304f16ba0dc1627f268f965d-lq

That thing you saw in films abouts 50s to 70s with small children hanging around in nearby woods, and working witth tools to build their own toys is not fantasy or fictions.
main-qimg-6c429c77b0c84019ea632bdf237785ea-lq

Untill the early 80s, tools for cgildren arent made of plastic.
They were just functional tools, just smaller, and those are view as cheap toys.

And those dont even enter in the lists of dangerous toys, they gave crazy stuff to kids play in the old times.
main-qimg-8db9586624b597148810784f2d3f9bce-lq

And the 80s, children around 9 - 11 were views as responsible enough to go home and stay there by themselves until the parents got home after work.

This thing to treat children as incapable is very recent.
Is a thing just from American Millenials and Zoomers only.
Most countrys find USa a bit creepy for that.

I was talking with a person who ask me if 13 years old kids need babysitters and I said that in may time that was the age of babysitters.
With 5 and 6, my parents called a 12 yo neighbor to look at us while they go out.
And at 13 my classmates were babysitters.
That series of books from "the babysitters club" its not fantasy, girls that age were babysitters.
main-qimg-8a87e323ba41cda2def0d3726bb97e5e-lq

In older generations we had very few people raised like incapable children and helicopter parents are very rare.

And to say the truth that happens in the majority of countries in the world.

This "protection" Americans being suffering in the last decades is actually abuse, and is clearly that the last generations create a great number of non functional adults, that show clear signs of abuse.

And wen I say "Americans" i like to let clear that we become the exception, most countries in the world kids are raised to be independent as possible.
main-qimg-93d400278b55e73266dec73535cc8873-lq

The irony is that we see a lot of people saying how safer the old time are, but with modern projected neigborhoods and harsher safety laws on all kinds of product, we have places with a safety that dont even existed in none place of the world in the 50s and 60s.
main-qimg-9c1d15b8e5ec498819301b93b18c797b-pjlq

I remember very well when the media started to profit with the fear of parents, making everybody paranoic with a wave of histories of children being harmed.
And never stopped, a case that happens in the other side of the country they maker a fuss that people feel is something that happens every day in every place.

The sad part in our times, is that there was a weird conception that raising children to be independent is equal to unsafe.
Or that to make independent children you need to make then unsafe for some reason.
I personally had a problem with this odd conception, because the reality is exactly the opposite: Being independent is to be more prepared and be safer.

Often those "protected" children end being raised to be victims, the opposite to be protected or to be safer..
main-qimg-06f74ce6e4561655661e7745851cfa19-lq

87.4K views
View 1,739 upvotes
View 16 shares
Is this all true anymore though? The reason I ask is that basically anyone having kids now is old enough that they were, themselves, part of the over sheltered generation. Today's parents have seen with their own eyes the detrimental impacts of hover parents. I'm not saying this problem never existed, it just seems like more of a problem that kids now don't want to be free.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I'm not saying this problem never existed, it just seems like more of a problem that kids now don't want to be free.
of course not. if you got your parents as slaves, it is their mistake they let you. be it that they are neither aware, or unaware of that

Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
Is this all true anymore though? The reason I ask is that basically anyone having kids now is old enough that they were, themselves, part of the over sheltered generation. Today's parents have seen with their own eyes the detrimental impacts of hover parents. I'm not saying this problem never existed, it just seems like more of a problem that kids now don't want to be free.
You're right about kids generally not wanting to be free to roam around but I think that's primarily due to shifts in culture as well as the fact that it's really not easy to navigate to anywhere cool anymore as a kid (something along the lines of this meme, overused as it is). your bike will get you nowhere special and people would probably call the cops if they saw a child alone on a bus. The other thing is too is that children, if given the chance, will generally gravitate towards doing the easiest thing so when faced with either trying to brave the world that was not designed for them or sitting comfortably at home able to be entertained by their devices then of course kids are going to gravitate toward the latter

Virtual Cafe Awards
You're right about kids generally not wanting to be free to roam around but I think that's primarily due to shifts in culture as well as the fact that it's really not easy to navigate to anywhere cool anymore as a kid (something along the lines of this meme, overused as it is). your bike will get you nowhere special and people would probably call the cops if they saw a child alone on a bus. The other thing is too is that children, if given the chance, will generally gravitate towards doing the easiest thing so when faced with either trying to brave the world that was not designed for them or sitting comfortably at home able to be entertained by their devices then of course kids are going to gravitate toward the latter
similar sentiment: https://worldsnews.quora.com/What-should-really-need-to-be-admired-1 - those comments

Virtual Cafe Awards

CahCaw

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
cahcaw.nl
I say, never ever blame the kids for these kinds of things. You shouldn't expect a kid to overcome their parents' faults (although it is awesome if they do). They're still kids ,_,The reason kids used to be so free, is because the parents allowed it, these days parents have a hard time allowing anything. Kids these days just don't know better. They only know the life of waking up - watching youtube - gaming(or not even that). How is the kid supposed to break free?

I actually work with kids (volunteer at a scouting / boys scouts but for both genders), and I am always interested to learn what these kids(7-16 years old) actually do on a daily basis. Whenever I get the opportunity, I try to talk with them about their day, week, etc. I can tell you this situation is awful, really awful, much more awful than anyone is making it out to be because hardly anyone actually listens to these kids. Almost every kid seems to only be inside (and mind you, I live in the Netherlands, one of the few countries where kids are able to roam the streets / travel around safely. Can't imagine what the situation is in the states where you're car-dependent, or places where it's dangerous to be roaming outside).

There is this one kid (14-year-old) in particular, with whom I am as-close as can be considering I only see/talk with him exclusively in this context (on the scouting), who I really feel in this regard. Last gathering he seemed incredibly down, there is something about seeing the most alive person (very talkative, bursting with energy, etc), just have this specific look in his eyes of misery. It saddens me a lot, because I am rooting for him to be the talkative, energetic person he is. After some basic questions I figured out what was going on (also verifying he was feeling down) - when I asked him what he did during the christmas holidays he said: "I literally just laid in bed and watched netflix", and, judging by the fact that I know this is the norm thanks to past conversations, this has been going on for longer / he isn't exaggerating. I suppose everyone would go depressed after spending multiple weeks like that. I didn't have a lot of time, but I did throw it out there that he should try to make a campfire, hopefully he'll make one (and try to even slightly break the cycle of spending his time like this). Next time I'm gonna try to tell him he should spend more time with his friends. I wish there was a way I was allowed to help, but I know I'm not supposed to meddle with this kind of business.

But, it's not like he's some special case, he's just the case where I learned that it was making him depressed (ig byproduct of being slightly older, younger kids seem a lot less susceptible to feeling of depression). However, their life style isn't that different. A lot spend their entire days behind the screens, school being the only time off. HOWEVER, there are exceptions. There is for example this one 12-year-old girl who talked about playing sports at clubs and going on 30-kilometer mountain bike trails WITH HER DAD. Notice this last part - parents are the one's who should be responsible for showing the kid the world. More parents should be like this. Again though, we can't expect a kid to come up with these plans themselves, besides the practical problems of letting a kid go on a wild adventure themselves.

What kids need more than anything, is GUIDANCE. Kids are still in the process of adjusting to the world, and can't 'break free'. The kid of an abusive parent, is this as loyal as a dog to them, because they don't know better. Kids need to be guided to do more active things (from the dad taking their kid on these long-ass mountain bike trails), else nothing comes of it. Currently the kids have been guided to their screens, because that is the most convenient. They are safe there (and trust me, it's insane how much parents worry about their kids. I've gotten so many slaps on my wrists already from parents, because I am a bit more on the wild side), they are not bothering the parents & monitored).

But again, I can scream all I want, but nothing's gonna be solved. Nobody actually listen to kids, nobody ever does. It's frustrated me when I was young, and the only thing I can do is try to listen to these kids I see on a weekly basis. It's horrible, it's absolutely horrible.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Pink Fluffy Cat

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Not wrong generation but I always feel like I've been born in the wrong place. I suppose to be living in mountain / fishing village instead of waging in a big city working at a boring job with a boring life.

Reaction score
Awards
Not wrong generation but I always feel like I've been born in the wrong place. I suppose to be living in mountain / fishing village instead of waging in a big city working at a boring job with a boring life.
With me is the opposite, being raised in a rural town int he middle of nowhere, with awful and boring people, dead end jobs in the ranch, a limited future in a third world country, that isn't the life i want to be honest, coming to the city was a 360 degree change for me, and a waaay positive tbh, i will change a fuck rural town any day of the week for the big city. :tou5: :MedTime:

Virtual Cafe Awards