What were you ACTUALLY born in the wrong generation for?

But again, I can scream all I want, but nothing's gonna be solved. Nobody actually listen to kids, nobody ever does. It's frustrated me when I was young, and the only thing I can do is try to listen to these kids I see on a weekly basis. It's horrible, it's absolutely horrible.
when are we making web for kids to pour their hearts out? it can be like (#)chan, but safe.
- now, it mildly reminds me of spovednica.sk

Virtual Cafe Awards

CahCaw

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
cahcaw.nl
Not wrong generation but I always feel like I've been born in the wrong place. I suppose to be living in mountain / fishing village instead of waging in a big city working at a boring job with a boring life.
Your life is long enough to change that if you strive for it. I commend you to go for it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

CahCaw

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
cahcaw.nl
when are we making web for kids to pour their hearts out? it can be like (#)chan, but safe.
What is "spovednica.sk" if I may ask?

I mean ig I'd be worried that there is no proper way to moderate it / that it'd inevitably go wrong. Also doubt that kids wouldn't just end up spamming the site with shitty memes. But interesting concept. Besides, what we need more than that, is for kids to just go outside and be kids.

Virtual Cafe Awards
spovednica.sk
in traslation, "confessions". you make account or go anonymous (idk, never wrote there) and you can write out your heart out, your problems.

Virtual Cafe Awards

CahCaw

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
cahcaw.nl
in traslation, "confessions". you make account or go anonymous (idk, never wrote there) and you can write out your heart out, your problems.
Interesting... I like the concept, and I see how this can be kid-friendly. But it's important for it to be a one-way street, ie no way to contact the people who actually use it, whilst also being heavily moderated to make sure there is nothing nsfw, outrageous, or that users leave any traces of personal info. But yeah, would indeed give way for kids to be heard more. However, doubt anyone cares enough about kids to put in all this effort

Virtual Cafe Awards

stonehead

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
argusarts.com
Chat moderation is a famously impossible problem. Reminds me of this old post by a developer of an old "child-friendly" mmo http://habitatchronicles.com/2007/0...t-or-blockchattm-from-disney-finally-arrives/

Notable highlight was this quote:
"We spent several weeks building a UI that used pop-downs to construct sentences, and only had completely harmless words – the standard parts of grammar and safe nouns like cars, animals, and objects in the world."

"We thought it was the perfect solution, until we set our first 14-year old boy down in front of it. Within minutes he'd created the following sentence:

I want to stick my long-necked Giraffe up your fluffy white bunny.

Dr. MacGutsy

Bad Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
themaczone.neocities.org
I suppose I was born too late to experience the world without the internet bleeding into every aspect of the real world. Sure, I can go out and still talk to people in the real world, but anyone I can hold conversation with is either so much older than me that I don't have anything in common with them or is some sort of neo-luddite who has an all or nothing mindset on technology. As for people around my age, I can still talk to them, but they tend to be disinterested and on the off chance they do want to talk to me they give me some form of social media and I'm back to what is effectively an online friendship once again. I just want to talk to people without having to fight against whatever internet brainrot has taken them captive. I suppose this goes into how polarized everything is now. Everyone around my age is consumed by some some strange political ideology. Now, not to say that didn't happen in the past because it most certainly did, but it wasn't to the extent we see now. With all the effort it takes to find someone to talk to the real world, only for them to only talk to you on the internet I find that it's easier just to live my life interacting with people on the internet. VR if people want to "meet up." It's all quite disappointing to me. That was a long winded way to say I was born too late to see the world before everything was consumed by the internet and it took precedence over the real world.

On the topic of dating, holy shit man. It ain't good. It's just lifeless hookups and polycules. Dating apps are a game and a lot of people have lofty expectations of their date that most can't satisfy. Maybe I just need to get with the times. I don't know.

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
I have recently looking into ways of finding girls to date, boy the modern dating landscape look like a total nuclear wasteland. This kinda makes me wish I was born slightly earlier so that I wouldn't have to deal with this bullshit.

I have yet to make any concrete action, but using a dating app is the last thing I want to do. If I am ever going to play that fucking game, I will make sure to attempt to subvert the system. Still, I have other methods to try first, most notably going to the pub.

On a somewhat related notes, every legends I heard from the pre-2000 paint the pub as this magical place where single people go, but I find it hard to believe it was the only method people used. Maybe I should try to find ancients dating manuals to see the stillness beneath the transience...

Reaction score
Awards
On the topic of dating, holy shit man. It ain't good. It's just lifeless hookups and polycules. Dating apps are a game and a lot of people have lofty expectations of their date that most can't satisfy. Maybe I just need to get with the times. I don't know.

I have recently looking into ways of finding girls to date, boy the modern dating landscape look like a total nuclear wasteland. This kinda makes me wish I was born slightly earlier so that I wouldn't have to deal with this bullshit.

I know two guys total who have a serious relationship, and I know many guys. As someone who doesn't date well, my advice is to always be open to meet people (go to that meet-up after work, you never know who you'll meet) but don't let it consume you. A lot of 18-25 year old guys got blinders on as if tons of women don't find mature men (30s) more attractive than boys right out of trade school. Use this time to develop a personality, get good taste in art, read, and stack that motherfuckin paper. Be the man with a life women want to be a part of.

Virtual Cafe Awards

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I work in the game industry, and I was born slightly too late to really be a part of the golden age of game development.

Doom came out when I was very young, and by the time I hit my teens and then my twenties, the industry had already shifted to being extremely corporate, built on existing pre-established engines provided by third parties, and programming in general had devolved down to an extremely inefficient cargo-cult program-by-library mindset. The web programming brainrot has infected every other part of the industry and the cancerous idea that "anyone can program if they read a python course online, you don't need a degree!" (which is absolutely false) has absolutely destroyed the industry.

Now, instead of doing awesome graphics rendering stuff, coding gameplay, and helping to shape the industry at a company like Valve or Looking Glass (System Shock was partly made in Australia, so I could have definitely been a part of it if I was old enough), instead my choices are to essentially waste away doing insane crunch on some corpos soulless bullshit project or become an indie and make worthless pixel garbage with barely any gameplay.

Dr. MacGutsy

Bad Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
themaczone.neocities.org
I know two guys total who have a serious relationship, and I know many guys. As someone who doesn't date well, my advice is to always be open to meet people (go to that meet-up after work, you never know who you'll meet) but don't let it consume you. A lot of 18-25 year old guys got blinders on as if tons of women don't find mature men (30s) more attractive than boys right out of trade school. Use this time to develop a personality, get good taste in art, read, and stack that motherfuckin paper. Be the man with a life women want to be a part of.
I don't swing that way so it's a little different. I just can't deal with walking into a bar and seeing 15 guys in leather dog suits man. Maybe I'm a prude. I don't know man.

I don't want this to become complain about sex thread #184973. I'm just throwing my thoughts out there.

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I don't swing that way so it's a little different. I just can't deal with walking into a bar and seeing 15 guys in leather dog suits man. Maybe I'm a prude. I don't know man.

I don't want this to become complain about sex thread #184973. I'm just throwing my thoughts out there.
If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I left the scene within 2 years of joining it and it was a liberating experience, but also a lonely one.

It's very hard for a disconnected gay to find romance when everyone is already in the cliques and looking for drama.

But I have ranted about the horrible state of the gay community in other threads.

My apologies if I have COMPLETELY misunderstood you

Dr. MacGutsy

Bad Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
themaczone.neocities.org
If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I left the scene within 2 years of joining it and it was a liberating experience, but also a lonely one.

It's very hard for a disconnected gay to find romance when everyone is already in the clizues.

But I have ranted about the horrible state of the gay community in other threads.

My apologies if I have COMPLETELY misunderstood you
Don't worry. You understood me. I'm sure you've seen what I've seen.

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Don't worry. You understood me. I'm sure you've seen what I've seen.
I guess that's another thing I was born out of time for.

I missed the era of fighting for rights, being at Stonewall, finding acceptance etc. While that sounds like a horrible time, it also sounds like a time for growth and development. Nowadays the scene is just partying, drugs and kink (none of which I have a problem with as a concept, my issue is with how that's all there is, there's no substance to anything), and bitching about/to each other.

I've found relationships outside the scene but it's really hard work and I have gotten very lucky. The quality of the relationships hasn't been amazing either.

Still, it's probably better than being one of those 60+ year olds on grindr with no partner still looking for twinks for a lay. Bro it's not gonna happen, you're way too old to be doing that. But I guess all they know is partying and sleeping around, so that's what they do.

Dr. MacGutsy

Bad Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
themaczone.neocities.org
I missed the era of fighting for rights, being at Stonewall, finding acceptance etc. While that sounds like a horrible time, it also sounds like a time for growth and development. Nowadays the scene is just partying, drugs and kink (none of which I have a problem with as a concept, my issue is with how that's all there is, there's no substance to anything), and bitching about/to each other.
Yeah. It seems like now it's turned into an excuse to get wild while masquerading as still fighting for something. Just kinda weekend at Burnie's-ing the corpse of a community that once had substance. It's just so hateful now. Someone is always after someone else. Someone trying to feel you up and it being played off as no big deal (that's the one that has happened to me the most). Then again, that's my only experience. Maybe it was different in the past. Maybe it was the same. I don't know. I wasn't around for that time.

I've found relationships outside the scene but it's really hard work and I have gotten very lucky. The quality of the relationships hasn't been amazing either.
I have had awful luck. I've been cheated on, been left for a better looking guy, or had to break up with someone because they were just so awful to other people. I'm on the younger side so maybe this is just an issue of people being young and dumb. I don't know.

I'm just spitballing. I very well could be the issue and just not be recognizing it. I don't know.

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I have had awful luck. I've been cheated on, been left for a better looking guy, or had to break up with someone because they were just so awful to other people. I'm on the younger side so maybe this is just an issue of people being young and dumb. I don't know.
I think it might just be me, but I can sort of tell if someone is a good person or not. I think everyone else can too. If your gut is telling you this person isn't amazing, it's probably right. Even if they're hot.

The real test is if they stick by you through hardship. If you're depressed and really need to be looked after for a day or two, and they do it, you know you found a worthwhile catch.

The reality nobody tells you though is, at the end of the day, 100% of relationships suck for whatever reason. You will never be truly happy with your partner. That's the nature of human interaction. Your only option is to find someone good enough to help you in the areas you need, where you can help them in the areas they need, and you can stick by each other. That's the most you can expect. The idea of the romantic relationship with constant love and affection and care is a myth. You will be doing your own thing a significant amount of the time and your life shouldn't change THAT much from when you're single, even when you move in together.

I know there's this sort of idea (usually among straight couples) where once they get together, they don't see others anymore, and spend time together always. That's usually more about her monopolising his time rather than a genuine desire for them to be together constantly, and you'll often find they drive each other insane and the relationship eventually breaks down. Don't fall for that trap.

Being in a relationship is like being single, except you have an awesome roommate, and you get hugs/sex/whatever occasionally. But it's the life.

Dr. MacGutsy

Bad Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
themaczone.neocities.org
I think it might just be me, but I can sort of tell if someone is a good person or not. I think everyone else can too. If your gut is telling you this person isn't amazing, it's probably right. Even if they're hot.
You know, I wonder if that's why my relationships tend to end so quickly. Maybe they're getting that feeling about me. I just can't really think of anything that people would consider to be bad besides maybe my humor being a little wacky. I'm probably beating myself down, but it does make me think.

The reality nobody tells you though is, at the end of the day, 100% of relationships suck for whatever reason. You will never be truly happy with your partner. That's the nature of human interaction. Your only option is to find someone good enough to help you in the areas you need, where you can help them in the areas they need, and you can stick by each other. That's the most you can expect. The idea of the romantic relationship with constant love and affection and care is a myth. You will be doing your own thing a significant amount of the time and your life shouldn't change THAT much from when you're single, even when you move in together.
This is something I'm really glad I saw with my parents. They're each other's best friend and act like that's the case, but they also love each other. It's unfortunate that other people growing up didn't get to see an example of a rock solid marriage. I'm really lucky on that front.

I know there's this sort of idea (usually among straight couples) where once they get together, they don't see others anymore, and spend time together always. That's usually more about her monopolising his time rather than a genuine desire for them to be together constantly, and you'll often find they drive each other insane and the relationship eventually breaks down. Don't fall for that trap.
This happens to me a lot. My second to last boyfriend flipped his shit because I couldn't text him at a job where I was fighting off crackheads all night. He eventually went on his whole thing about if I didn't have time to text him there were bigger problems. I broke that one off. The only people that I seem to get along with are people 20 years my senior, but at that point I don't want to get married and have them die when I'm 60. Marriage is far off though. Maybe I should just give it a shot. Never hurts, right?

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
This happens to me a lot. My second to last boyfriend flipped his shit because I couldn't text him at a job where I was fighting off crackheads all night. He eventually went on his whole thing about if I didn't have time to text him there were bigger problems. I broke that one off. The only people that I seem to get along with are people 20 years my senior, but at that point I don't want to get married and have them die when I'm 60. Marriage is far off though. Maybe I should just give it a shot. Never hurts, right?
ABSOLUTELY NOT. TERRIBLE IDEA.

Marriage is just like being in a relationship, but with less options. You're essentially trapped at that point. It means nothing and only hurts you.