The monotony of life

CahCaw

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
cahcaw.nl
I feel estranged with life. Especially when I look around me. Life feels so.... monotonous. Almost everyone seems to go through life, doing the same things over and over again. Some people live a more novel life, others horrify me.

Are any people genuinely enjoying the "wake up - work - watch tv - sleep" life? Even more horrifying is how society is pushing us towards this too. It normalized a 40-hour workweek, which often times drains people of energy so much they no longer have time to both do their chores and do anything except numb their mind. Society is pushing is to be lazy, with the 'oh just throw money at the problem'-mentality. No longer do we try to fix things ourselves, instead as much as possible needs to done for us. Worst of all is the whole way high school is structured, it's just one giant void sucking everyone's energy (which is still a relatively recent memory for me). I can go on, and on, and on.... I don't need to rant about how society's fucked because literally everyone is aware of that at this point. My point is that there is nothing in our society to break our monotony. Even the ways our cities and land is structured screams monotony. Rows and rows of houses that are all the same.

Are people actually enjoying this rhythm? And are there people who have found genuine solutions for this? Whenever I bring this topic up to others, I hardly ever get my thoughts confirmed. Am I just going crazy or are there other people who feel the same? I Always feel so stressed out about this monotony. I genuinely try to break it, but it always keeps coming back. Been fighting this monotony for so fucking long, and I still can't come on top the way I feel.

Now I do know I have a predisposition for ADHD (only a predisposition, not diagnosed). So, it is likely the case that part of the reason I feel this way, is because things tend to get boring more quickly for me than most (again, just observations). It takes a lot for me to feel genuinely excited, and, luckily I have found some things which did make me feel this way. Think of going on an adventure with a friend, having meaningful projects, or doing something physically exhausting (whilst still having meaning). However, none are consistent, and all are things I always need to come up myself. It feels like I'm constantly swimming against the current of monotony, and I find it weird how alone this feels.

T. Someone who feels bored and ran out of ideas of what to do.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Are any people genuinely enjoying the "wake up - work - watch tv - sleep" life?
I do, but is more a thing of context, to be honest i'm kind of a workaholic, and obsessed with education because from the place i came, if you don't get a ton of experience and a degree, you are nothing, and you will sunk in misery, in an overly competitive culture and economy, you need to proof yourself better than everyone else, is the only way i have to escape this hellhole and achieve my dreams.

So i have two options, i wake up, work and try to relax my way and get new hobby everyday, i would sacrifice my mind, body and soul so i can actually achieve my dreams, or i could slack off, and search for the so called "alternative lifestyle" and i could rot and die in this inferno, knowing i never achieved what i wanted in life.

Some of us love that kind of lifestyle becasue we don't have other option, there is no choice, or you run or you get eaten, at the end of the day, you will ended up so broken that you will love monotony in a sick way, at the point in which you don't know how else to live, we were born in a world of shit, is only by our struggle, efforts, sweat and blood that we can choose our own destiny, freedom isn't free, thus you have to fight, fight the system, the construct, fight yourself, fight your demons, so you can destroy yourself and become a new and better self.

So to put it simple, in a personal level, i love monotony because is the only option i have and struggle is the only thing i know for real. :tou5: :MedTime:

Virtual Cafe Awards

CahCaw

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
cahcaw.nl
I do, but is more a thing of context, to be honest i'm kind of a workaholic, and obsessed with education because from the place i came, if you don't get a ton of experience and a degree, you are nothing, and you will sunk in misery, in an overly competitive culture and economy, you need to proof yourself better than everyone else, is the only way i have to escape this hellhole and achieve my dreams.

So i have two options, i wake up, work and try to relax my way and get new hobby everyday, i would sacrifice my mind, body and soul so i can actually achieve my dreams, or i could slack off, and search for the so called "alternative lifestyle" and i could rot and die in this inferno, knowing i never achieved what i wanted in life.

Some of us love that kind of lifestyle becasue we don't have other option, there is no choice, or you run or you get eaten, at the end of the day, you will ended up so broken that you will love monotony in a sick way, at the point in which you don't know how else to live, we were born in a world of shit, is only by our struggle, efforts, sweat and blood that we can choose our own destiny, freedom isn't free, thus you have to fight, fight the system, the construct, fight yourself, fight your demons, so you can destroy yourself and become a new and better self.

So to put it simple, in a personal level, i love monotony because is the only option i have and struggle is the only thing i know for real. :tou5: :MedTime:
"is the only way i have to escape this hellhole and achieve my dreams."
What dreams are you trying to achieve then I wonder?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Pink Fluffy Cat

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Yep jus lay down and slacking off, life is far more easier if you never chase any of those boomer dreams (breeding, paying mortgage, marrying etc. bruh). Unfortunately you still have to compromise and wage so technically not "escaping", it's just more comfy if you only work 24 - 32 hours a week and leave the rest of the time for yourself, You got more energy this way, working full time has rot my brain unironically.
>imb4 but how about muh old age?
It's pretty much impossible to starve today at least in the first world countries. And when the famine comes, you gonna die anyway regardless how hard you've worked. Just take a look at the Irish famine, did the Irish starve because they are "NEETing"? Or did they saved their own ass by "working hard and hustling"?
I know someone who enjoy this "work, buy, consume and die" lifestyle though, my sister does. She embraced the normieism and got pozzed into a literal NPC cattle, something that I don't recognized any more and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

CahCaw

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
cahcaw.nl
Yep jus lay down and slacking off, life is far more easier if you never chase any of those boomer dreams (breeding, paying mortgage, marrying etc. bruh). Unfortunately you still have to compromise and wage so technically not "escaping", it's just more comfy if you only work 24 - 32 hours a week and leave the rest of the time for yourself, You got more energy this way, working full time has rot my brain unironically.
>imb4 but how about muh old age?
It's pretty much impossible to starve today at least in the first world countries. And when the famine comes, you gonna die anyway regardless how hard you've worked. Just take a look at the Irish famine, did the Irish starve because they are "NEETing"? Or did they saved their own ass by "working hard and hustling"?
I know someone who enjoy this "work, buy, consume and die" lifestyle though, my sister does. She embraced the normieism and got pozzed into a literal NPC cattle, something that I don't recognized any more and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Well, and how do you feel about the life style you're living?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Pink Fluffy Cat

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Well, and how do you feel about the life style you're living?
Not really sure honestly, I'm a full time wagie due to personal family issues. I'll live a lifestyle likes that only after I got my share of inheritance which I expect to happen in -5 years.

ECHETLAEUS

GLOBALISTS HAVE THE POWER, BUT GOD THE FINAL WORD
Reaction score
Awards
Definently the monotony and boredom till your energy drained in a level that you dont want to even stand up to work, are one of the devils weapons, theres no other explanation, im fucking fighting this fight, sometimes im falling to its shithole and sometimes i get glorious wins, but my life is better in comparison 3-4 years before, alone but im free of the weakness and toxicity of the people, one day i'll find my promised land.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
"is the only way i have to escape this hellhole and achieve my dreams."
What dreams are you trying to achieve then I wonder?
It's a bit impossible, but i'm doing the effort nonetheless, my dream is not to be rich, famous, to reach illumination, form a family or world peace, what i just want, is my own peace, and by that i mean, moving to another country, to live there, work, and relax, save enough money and open my own bar and restaurant and just, relax chill the rest of my days in peace knowing my heart and mind are where they belong to.

As long it is the first world i don't mind where i'm gonna live, but i'm primary focus is europe more specifically your country actually lol.

Virtual Cafe Awards

koreatis

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I am not completely sure why and when it happened but I also notice the monotony of life around me. Firstly, I would say that making statement about monotony of life isn't appropriate because overall life and all things arounds us like generally speaking nature are wonderful. You could find a lot of joy in such simple activity like walking around some forest or mountains. So actually I would say that life isn't tedium. I think the problem is in our lifestyle. We have been forced to lead each day like it is the same day, to follow the schema of "wake up - work - watch tv - sleep". I think there are obvious reasons to enforce such way of life and I think many people will guess what I mean. There are some entities that have too much power and they exploit it. It is sad that we have been structured to live in this manner. Of course the monotony of life is very visible in big cities that's why I don't like being in big city for more then a few days because it is so overwhelming.
My perspective to fight the monotony of life is to have enough resources to own a property deep in forest and live there with loved ones. That will be the best monotony of life I could ever imagine. For me it will be waking up to the same view which I wouldn't have ever get bored of, mindless walks around forest and watching the sky each night. I would sacrifice any richness of the world for such lifestyle. I don't need to be very rich nor be famous. I want to enjoy simplicity of the life with people I care about.

CahCaw

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
cahcaw.nl
I am not completely sure why and when it happened but I also notice the monotony of life around me. Firstly, I would say that making statement about monotony of life isn't appropriate because overall life and all things arounds us like generally speaking nature are wonderful. You could find a lot of joy in such simple activity like walking around some forest or mountains. So actually I would say that life isn't tedium. I think the problem is in our lifestyle. We have been forced to lead each day like it is the same day, to follow the schema of "wake up - work - watch tv - sleep". I think there are obvious reasons to enforce such way of life and I think many people will guess what I mean. There are some entities that have too much power and they exploit it. It is sad that we have been structured to live in this manner. Of course the monotony of life is very visible in big cities that's why I don't like being in big city for more then a few days because it is so overwhelming.
My perspective to fight the monotony of life is to have enough resources to own a property deep in forest and live there with loved ones. That will be the best monotony of life I could ever imagine. For me it will be waking up to the same view which I wouldn't have ever get bored of, mindless walks around forest and watching the sky each night. I would sacrifice any richness of the world for such lifestyle. I don't need to be very rich nor be famous. I want to enjoy simplicity of the life with people I care about.
"overall life and all things arounds us like generally speaking nature are wonderful"
Nature is indeed wonderful. Tell me though, where did the nature go though?

"have enough resources to own a property deep in forest and live there with loved ones"
YES - exactly what I'm planning on doing with me and my friends.

Virtual Cafe Awards

WhiteSnake

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I feel estranged with life. Especially when I look around me. Life feels so.... monotonous. Almost everyone seems to go through life, doing the same things over and over again. Some people live a more novel life, others horrify me.

Are any people genuinely enjoying the "wake up - work - watch tv - sleep" life? Even more horrifying is how society is pushing us towards this too. It normalized a 40-hour workweek, which often times drains people of energy so much they no longer have time to both do their chores and do anything except numb their mind. Society is pushing is to be lazy, with the 'oh just throw money at the problem'-mentality. No longer do we try to fix things ourselves, instead as much as possible needs to done for us. Worst of all is the whole way high school is structured, it's just one giant void sucking everyone's energy (which is still a relatively recent memory for me). I can go on, and on, and on.... I don't need to rant about how society's fucked because literally everyone is aware of that at this point. My point is that there is nothing in our society to break our monotony. Even the ways our cities and land is structured screams monotony. Rows and rows of houses that are all the same.

Are people actually enjoying this rhythm? And are there people who have found genuine solutions for this? Whenever I bring this topic up to others, I hardly ever get my thoughts confirmed. Am I just going crazy or are there other people who feel the same? I Always feel so stressed out about this monotony. I genuinely try to break it, but it always keeps coming back. Been fighting this monotony for so fucking long, and I still can't come on top the way I feel.

Now I do know I have a predisposition for ADHD (only a predisposition, not diagnosed). So, it is likely the case that part of the reason I feel this way, is because things tend to get boring more quickly for me than most (again, just observations). It takes a lot for me to feel genuinely excited, and, luckily I have found some things which did make me feel this way. Think of going on an adventure with a friend, having meaningful projects, or doing something physically exhausting (whilst still having meaning). However, none are consistent, and all are things I always need to come up myself. It feels like I'm constantly swimming against the current of monotony, and I find it weird how alone this feels.

Nobody in any real way is enjoying the way that life has been globally set up for them.

What you're experiencing is perfectly average, the way life is set up is by nature fundamentally contrary to the natural predisposition of humans. It's set up so that you're disconnected from yourself, other people and your environment.
It will make you stressed, bored and eventually sick.

koreatis

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
"overall life and all things arounds us like generally speaking nature are wonderful"

It's still there. You have to be patient. I see that way, you have notice the small parts of it like droplets of the rain, unexpected encounters with wild animals, sunrises and sunsets, patterns of the clouds, different shades of colours. Do not rush it, be one with nature when you are out and it will come to you.

dorgon

Violently Peaceful
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
dorgon.neocities.org
Yeah man... I feel you. A couple days ago I started skateboarding again near the parking lot to cope with the college boredom I have, and it's pretty nice to be working towards something. (Plus, it gets your heart rate up). The work I do and classes I take and the concrete I see all really suck but I am hopeful that in a couple years I will be over that and starting a new chapter in life, but in the mean time, I'm just tryna, like, make the best out it, y'know? I think its a matter of branching out more than the simple and stupid work-eat-tv-sleep routine American society wants you to do, finding a hobby and sticking with it really makes life a little better.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I feel you. Had the same issues. Honestly, I feel already too old for that kind of life. I feel I've been there over and over again and that there isn't much to see or discover anymore.

The reason why I deprived myself of sleep in high school was for this very reason. Just being in class, feeling the vibes of my classmates, the constant underlying tension of "having to measure up", was sucking the life out of me. I was in the literary field, yet I felt a lot of the stuff I learnt was meaningless, or rather, I was happy with learning, but the assignments felt entirely useless. So I would go to further and further extents to get some "me-time". I would stay up at night to draw, to write fanfiction, to even play video games but mostly to draw and hang out with people on Discord. In class I would draw too as a way to get my creativity out. But my mental health that was already bad tanked even harder and I ended up dropping out, then barely passing the high school graduation by passing the exams standalone (it's possible here). And the reason why I was a NEET for the past five years was also because I was pretty much like that: why bother when it's just going to be the same thing over and over again? It's meaningless, soul-sucking, and makes you feel less than human. Nothing in this society feels truly meaningful to me. It feels mostly empty. Not much a place I want to be in, but some things keep me there. I'm not dying anytime soon, especially not by my own hands, but I can at least try and do with what I can find.

The meaning I found was always in things that weren't related to "life". That moment when someone you really, really love surprises you with her singing when you least expect it, because she knows you love hearing her singing voice, especially when it's a surprise. Petting stray cats on the street. Giving the last seeds in your little packet to a 2-3 year old so she can feed the pigeons too. Finishing a picture that was ungodly hard to finish but that you got done nonetheless. Realizing you feel kinda bored and you have nothing else to do so you go to bed early with a heating pad and your Kindle, ready to read some more of the book in the language you're learning. Just sitting next to a river that is meaningful to you. Waking up early because you have to pee, looking out the window to see a beautiful sunrise with a magnificently drawn waning crescent moon in the sky. People say you find meaning through career. I'm not sure that's true. For me, meaning is in those things. Those little things. Even in just baking cookies or making a pie with some mushrooms, chicken, eggs and cheese. For some maybe they do find meaning in their career, but I think that the meaning I'll find in mine will be seeing the gratitude on my students' faces, or feeling the pride when my first book gets published, or when someone says my art is beautiful in a mysterious way.

Society needs us to be a mindless mass in order to control us better. To make us consume. The whole overconsumption of media/products, I think, boils down to escapism. You're set up to be so devoid of energy all the time that the only thing you have left to feel at least a little alive is consuming. Consuming. Even useless or straight up mind-numbing stuff. I mean, why are so many people addicted to smoking, alcohol, drugs, social media, food, sex, anything that can be addictive? It's because we are, as a society, deeply unhappy, but since it's pretty much taboo to be unhappy, we have to find a way to cope.

To be honest, I'm trying to find a way to balance that monotony with my own thing. I feel at my best when spending time with people I love, and when I am creating something. Of course, I'll have to work. But I want to try and find a balance where I can take care of myself as well. A "smart lazy" kind of thing. You don't have to pour all of yourself into your work. You do what you're expected to, and then you're done.

I don't think it's your ADHD tendencies speaking. The world we live in is designed to numb our minds and make us stupid, lazy, and uncultured, so then TPTB can abuse us even more, shame us for being "stupid, lazy and uncultured" when they're the very people who made us that way, and then keep on treating us like garbage.

Virtual Cafe Awards

CahCaw

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
cahcaw.nl
The meaning I found was always in things that weren't related to "life". That moment when someone you really, really love surprises you with her singing when you least expect it, because she knows you love hearing her singing voice, especially when it's a surprise. Petting stray cats on the street. Giving the last seeds in your little packet to a 2-3 year old so she can feed the pigeons too. Finishing a picture that was ungodly hard to finish but that you got done nonetheless. Realizing you feel kinda bored and you have nothing else to do so you go to bed early with a heating pad and your Kindle, ready to read some more of the book in the language you're learning. Just sitting next to a river that is meaningful to you. Waking up early because you have to pee, looking out the window to see a beautiful sunrise with a magnificently drawn waning crescent moon in the sky. People say you find meaning through career. I'm not sure that's true. For me, meaning is in those things. Those little things. Even in just baking cookies or making a pie with some mushrooms, chicken, eggs and cheese. For some maybe they do find meaning in their career, but I think that the meaning I'll find in mine will be seeing the gratitude on my students' faces, or feeling the pride when my first book gets published, or when someone says my art is beautiful in a mysterious way.
You're right. My question then becomes, how do I seek out these little things?

Virtual Cafe Awards

NSoph

The Singularity is Now
Reaction score
Awards

Possible solutions
simply not working full-time, NEET, Freelancing, working in transportation to see many different places, organized crime, foreign agent/saboteur
Out of these i have only tried NEET, trying part-time work next

Virtual Cafe Awards

NSoph

The Singularity is Now
Reaction score
Awards
I feel you. Had the same issues. Honestly, I feel already too old for that kind of life. I feel I've been there over and over again and that there isn't much to see or discover anymore.

The reason why I deprived myself of sleep in high school was for this very reason. Just being in class, feeling the vibes of my classmates, the constant underlying tension of "having to measure up", was sucking the life out of me. I was in the literary field, yet I felt a lot of the stuff I learnt was meaningless, or rather, I was happy with learning, but the assignments felt entirely useless. So I would go to further and further extents to get some "me-time". I would stay up at night to draw, to write fanfiction, to even play video games but mostly to draw and hang out with people on Discord. In class I would draw too as a way to get my creativity out. But my mental health that was already bad tanked even harder and I ended up dropping out, then barely passing the high school graduation by passing the exams standalone (it's possible here). And the reason why I was a NEET for the past five years was also because I was pretty much like that: why bother when it's just going to be the same thing over and over again? It's meaningless, soul-sucking, and makes you feel less than human. Nothing in this society feels truly meaningful to me. It feels mostly empty. Not much a place I want to be in, but some things keep me there. I'm not dying anytime soon, especially not by my own hands, but I can at least try and do with what I can find.

Society needs us to be a mindless mass in order to control us better. To make us consume. The whole overconsumption of media/products, I think, boils down to escapism. You're set up to be so devoid of energy all the time that the only thing you have left to feel at least a little alive is consuming. Consuming. Even useless or straight up mind-numbing stuff. I mean, why are so many people addicted to smoking, alcohol, drugs, social media, food, sex, anything that can be addictive? It's because we are, as a society, deeply unhappy, but since it's pretty much taboo to be unhappy, we have to find a way to cope.

To be honest, I'm trying to find a way to balance that monotony with my own thing. I feel at my best when spending time with people I love, and when I am creating something. Of course, I'll have to work. But I want to try and find a balance where I can take care of myself as well. A "smart lazy" kind of thing. You don't have to pour all of yourself into your work. You do what you're expected to, and then you're done.

I don't think it's your ADHD tendencies speaking. The world we live in is designed to numb our minds and make us stupid, lazy, and uncultured, so then TPTB can abuse us even more, shame us for being "stupid, lazy and uncultured" when they're the very people who made us that way, and then keep on treating us like garbage.
absolutely great post, could never relate more to anything posted on here.
I think the monotony is not that way to purposefully control us or to drive consumption, but simply because it is economical.
Human life has been made scalable
and we agreed, because it makes thing affordable

I personally have given up on meaning. I have found it hard to find objective meaning and if i can't come up with a correct answer, i would rather not answer at all.
Finding meaning is dividing by Zero
Nowadays i think of myself as a perception machine, seeking novel and pleasant stimuli as well as an inferior gpt. My main social function was/is as a walking encyclopedia and brainstorm machine, this was already a bad position due to google and wikipedia and with advanced ai chatbots, i have become socially obsolete.
I try to survive until posthuman transformation is possible and see if things get better from there, unconstrained by petty physical needs and with a stronger and faster mind, freely building things on some far away planet as IRL minecraft until the embrace of cold death finds me.

"have enough resources to own a property deep in forest and live there with loved ones"
YES - exactly what I'm planning on doing with me and my friends.
Nature is cruel. If one looks at the cosmos and the state of earth it's rather hard to come up with anything other than "this is a sensory deprivation torture chamber"
It feels like this universe was designed against sentience, simply to make things suffer, just good enough so that sentience can develop, with small lumps of transient joy and tranquility
breaking the vast sea of monotony and suffering. Even if we, through human intervention, could make this miserable place, non-miserable, this will not be lasting as the universe itself will expire and rip us apart in coldness.
Nature wants to consume and poison you and for you to gtfo. Places called "nature" that humans finds pleasurable to go to are more like gardens, were everything inconvenient to us is either exterminated or bend to our will. Australia, the Jungles of Africa and South America and the Deep Sea are the places where human influence is weakest, this is closest to nature and it is right for it to die. The Anthropocene extinction is mostly a good thing, because everything that is valuable to us will be preserved, whereas these who are annoying or useless die off. No ecological niche stays empty and the void will be refilled by things more similar to things that humans enjoy or at least by things less annoying than before.

1722813-Arthur-Schopenhauer-Quote-Life-swings-like-a-pendulum-backward-and.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

CahCaw

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
cahcaw.nl
Possible solutions
simply not working full-time, NEET, Freelancing, working in transportation to see many different places, organized crime, foreign agent/saboteur
Out of these i have only tried NEET, trying part-time work next
I encourage you to keep trying different things. As a quote goes: "Its okay to go through awful places, just don't stop and unpack". For me personally finding communities have been THE most meaningful thing I found in my life.

absolutely great post, could never relate more to anything posted on here.
I think the monotony is not that way to purposefully control us or to drive consumption, but simply because it is economical.
Human life has been made scalable
and we agreed, because it makes thing affordable

Economical how? Economic theories are per definitions theories of how to distribute scarce resources. When I reflect on the forces that keep us down, they're only 'economical' in the sense that they are self-serving. Oil companies making massive profits, are making massive profits whilst literally drowning entire countries due to the sea levels rising (and honestly, that's the least of our concerns when you look at the bigger picture). Tiktok is generating massive profits, whilst at the same time making us/the young retarded (thus leading to less total resources).

And sure, there is also the monotony that is economically efficient. Think of our jobs being increasingly specialized and thus repetitive, because that is how we create resources. Sure, part of the monotony does come from that, but I wouldn't say that is the main factor. If resources were allocated more equally, we could easily work less. If adjusted for productivity over the last 50 years, the minimum wage of the US would be $26 an hour. Currently someone earning minimum wage ($7.25), assuming they're working 40h a week as they are expected to, makes $290 a week. If they were earning the amount they should be earning (assuming this $26 wage of earlier), they could make this money in just a little over 11h a week. Then, instead of working 29h extra to make as much profit as possible for their shareholders of a lifeless conglomerate, they could do something less monotonous. Think about doing something creative, visiting family and friends more, or heck, work a 2nd job that is more interesting (but is less productive). LIFE DOES NOT HAVE TO BE BORING.... even if we keep being pushed towards this.

This kind of reminds me of my favorite book, called 'island'. It was written by the same author as 'brave new world', but instead of the story being played in a dystopia, the story was being played in a utopia. This book describes so many amazing ideas, but in the context of this, it described one's work life as followed: Everyone on the island worked multiple jobs, switching them semi-regularly. Which, they did for the exact reason I described earlier - to make life less monotonous.

I personally have given up on meaning. I have found it hard to find objective meaning and if i can't come up with a correct answer, i would rather not answer at all.
Finding meaning is dividing by Zero
Meaning is inherently subjective. Why do you think when you ask ChatGPT the meaning of life, he can't give you a straight answer (because he himself says he doesn't experience any subjective reality). But, you are right about it being hard... just not that it is 'objective'.

Finding meaning is not like dividing by zero. Because, the problem with dividing by 0 in mathematics, is that nobody can do it. The problem with finding meaning, is that only few can do it. You can say their meanings are futile, but, those who have truly found meaning, won't let themselves be influenced by another's nihilism. Life is more complex than some metaphors to an impossibility.

Nowadays i think of myself as a perception machine, seeking novel and pleasant stimuli as well as an inferior gpt. My main social function was/is as a walking encyclopedia and brainstorm machine, this was already a bad position due to google and wikipedia and with advanced ai chatbots, i have become socially obsolete.
I try to survive until posthuman transformation is possible and see if things get better from there, unconstrained by petty physical needs and with a stronger and faster mind, freely building things on some far away planet as IRL minecraft until the embrace of cold death finds me.
Something I've noticed is that the weakest part of chatGPT is to come up with something truly 'unique'. It is great at using something known, finding a pattern and using that pattern to create something anew. Whilst we humans, at a deeper level do that to, I think the very last thing that is gonna be replaced by machines is this executive function - of coming up with something truly unique.

Another thing chatGPT, partially due to its constraints, is unable to do, is take initiative. I tried poking it to take the initiative to ask questions, but I couldn't get into a conversation where ChatGPT started leading the conversation. In general 'initiative' is a rare sight (but, in my personal life it is the fuel which powers my engines), but, it is what may lead to greatness.

In my experience it helps when there are actions I can take with these two aspects. I try to take initiative left right center, I try to think of something unique and work with it. I'm a brainstorm machine just like you, so see if you can brainstorm to end up in new places, instead of brainstorming 'for' something else, like some AI chatbot. But, I must admit, it is something I can't do consistently. I'm still struggling with the monotony, but, every once a while I do get that eureka moment and think of a unique initiative which helps make my life more colorful.

Nature is cruel. If one looks at the cosmos and the state of earth it's rather hard to come up with anything other than "this is a sensory deprivation torture chamber"
It feels like this universe was designed against sentience, simply to make things suffer, just good enough so that sentience can develop, with small lumps of transient joy and tranquility
breaking the vast sea of monotony and suffering. Even if we, through human intervention, could make this miserable place, non-miserable, this will not be lasting as the universe itself will expire and rip us apart in coldness.
Ah yeah I agree. No matter how good my life becomes, I still can't get rid of the thought that it would've been much nicer if I was never born. But, at least for me, suicide isn't an option. And, when you look at most suicidal person, suicide in general just isn't a great option (mostly because you end up hurting the one's you love). Thus, you are stuck here, until your life ends by forced outside your control.

So, welcome to the "sensory deprivation torture chamber", and realize that there is a big likelihood you're gonna be here for another few decades. Now the question should become "what to do with it", instead of "what is this madness".

Nature wants to consume and poison you and for you to gtfo. Places called "nature" that humans finds pleasurable to go to are more like gardens, were everything inconvenient to us is either exterminated or bend to our will. Australia, the Jungles of Africa and South America and the Deep Sea are the places where human influence is weakest, this is closest to nature and it is right for it to die.
Nature in these untouched places is inconvenient to us, precisely BECAUSE it is inconvenient to us. All convenient places are now concrete jungles. To make a more fair comparison, compare the places of ancient civilizations. Europe used to be full of trees, full of nature. Sure, there were a few wolves, and other easy deaths. But, life really wasn't that inconvenient there for us. I would much rather live in the tribal world than this concrete jungle. Chasing behind an animal sounds much more fun than sitting behind a desk for 8 hours lol.

But for real, nature can be wonderful. It's the small sensations that get me every time. The smell of plants, the sight of some insect crawling, the sound of birds chirping, the feeling of putting my hand in some body of water. Please be honest with me, what's the last time you went on a walk through nature, and tried being fully in the moment. No music, no distraction, no thoughts of anything except that which is here right now in front of you.

Yes, nature is cruel, but the cruelty is not the context I was trying to refer to (although to be fair I was a bit vague). Nature for me, means the moment, and it's the moment that is the ultimate key (if you wanna read a good book about this concept, go read 'the power of now'. Another one of my favorite books).

The Anthropocene extinction is mostly a good thing, because everything that is valuable to us will be preserved, whereas these who are annoying or useless die off. No ecological niche stays empty and the void will be refilled by things more similar to things that humans enjoy or at least by things less annoying than before.
Whilst I agree the world that will come after the extinction that is inevitable this century, will be one much better than the current one. I think the process of extinction, will be of horrors beyond anyone's imagination. And, just like I said earlier, thinking of that which is outside of our control, doesn't get us very far.

"Life swings like a pendulum backwards and forwards between pain and boredom" -Arthur Schopenhauer
But, in my personal life, I've noticed when I'm busy doing something meaningful, I no longer feel either. It is when one sits idle (or does something mindless for too long), that one experiences either pain or boredom. As another quote goes: "The idle mind, is the devil's playground". The problem here, is that finding something meaningful, is not only difficult, but made even more difficult by all systems in our world pushing us towards monotony.

Remember tho, despite the optimism I project here, I'm still really fucking frustrated with life. Holy shit it is driving me insane, but also holy shit what else can I do except wage a war?

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

CahCaw

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
cahcaw.nl
Where do I even begin with this topic?

View attachment 53931

Screw it, I'll write a haiku explaining why modern life is monotonous.

*ahem*

Western life gives much,

Gives much makes spirit grow weak,

when weak, no greatness.

Thank you for coming to my ted talk.
As the saying goes:

Strong men, make good times.
Good times, make weak men.
Weak men make bad times.
Bad times, makes strong men.
At infinitum.

Right now, we're in the good times, whereby we have reached peak-weakness (+-a decade).
Due to global warming, and the incompetency of the weak men, bad times are looming. These bad time are likely horrors beyond our worst imagination.
Then, good times will come. Maybe humanity will learn from its mistakes, maybe we will not.

Weak times, create strong men, because man is then faced with a challenge. Meanwhile, our good times have caused society to be utterly devoid of anything remotely challenging. I myself am a strong proponent that a challenge is all I need. But, it is important to note that this challenge must be one where the process of overcoming is inherently meaningful and tolerable (so 'challenging' yourself to work in a call center for 40h a week doesn't count).

But, we're not there yet. The way I see it, is to find something challenging in life. For me, that ultimate challenge is taking the initiatives and finding all the missing puzzle pieces of making this commune idea of mine work. But, that is for me personally ig, and I'd still say my life doesn't have enough of these 'good' challenges.

So yeah...

Fuck this world regardless y'know

Virtual Cafe Awards