Anime based on video games

Vetusomaru

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vetusomaru.dreamwidth.org
It's a fact that lots of popular video games (both Japanese and western ones) get anime adaptions. And since anime and video games are two of my favourite hobbies (after all, Japanese video games and anime shares lots of elements from each other) I decided to make a list with anime based on video games. In this list they are not included visual novels and eroge games (like Utawarerumono and Clannad) and multimedia franchises (like //hack and Inazuma Eleven). Video games franchises with * have too many anime (like Pokemon and Youkai Watch), therefore not including all anime that have been released based on these games.

You can find info about these anime at: https://anidb.net/ .

A great database for Pokemon anime is this one at Bulbapedia: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_anime

Link for the list: https://justpaste.it/animebasedonvideogames

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Is the Darkstalkers OVA any good? (mainly from an animation perspective?) Because I don't expect nor really care if a short series on a cult game has a corny plot

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vetusomaru

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Is the Darkstalkers OVA any good? (mainly from an animation perspective?) Because I don't expect nor really care if a short series on a cult game has a corny plot
It's not just good. It's one of the best anime based on video games, produced by Madhouse (same company that also made the classic Street Fighter 2 anime movie). My only "complain" is that they never made any bluray release for it and its DVD release wasn't so good comparing to many other DVD releases of retro anime. That or nobody bothered making a proper dvd-rip. Still I highly recommend it.

Vetusomaru

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Recently I finally decided to update and fix my list after a few years of hiatus (after tumblr's exodus since I used to host my list at tumblr). If there are any anime missing from the list, let me know.

Boxerdog

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

Deleted member 4436

I appreciate the 1999 Tokimemo OVA a lot. I don't feel like writing a blog post about it, since I'm probably going to make a video about it instead. (Then again, I don't exactly feel qualified to talk about it until I've successfully gotten Shiori's ending without using savestates, and who knows how long that'll take me)
It's just an hour and a half long, so it isn't too much effort to check it out

Last edited by a moderator:

Vetusomaru

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Pretty much all of the SNK franchises had an anime or ova somewhere in time.
Except Metal Slug for some reason despite being SNK's most popular franchise. And it could be a great anime, especially considering that it was heavily inspired by anime like Dominion Tank Police.

Boxerdog

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Vetusomaru

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website