Agora Road Youtube Club (Video Production General)

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
So, there's a fair amount of travellers that have Youtube channels and are into video production. I've decided to make a general thread so we can share our progress, advice, and (many) grievances with each other without being relegated only to the profile posts section. Feel free to speculate about the algorithm, compare editing software and audio equipment, and shill your stuff a bit.

Recently, @L. Rhodes has been asking about what would be the average time to get a minute's worth of final footage, so I'll take that as the opening question for this thread. I think 3-4 hours worth of work for a minute of footage is fair for a project of medium complexity.

Also, @CognacDefender , when's next video dropping?

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
A couple years back I had a YouTube channel (don't want to share it because it's got footage of my real face) where I would post joke edits and other stupid videos. Some of my stuff got popular (10,000+ views) but I gave up on the channel after getting frustrated with both the copyright protection algorithm and the upload interface in general. I didn't want to keep spending hours of my life on a video just for it to get rejected in the end because YouTube didn't like the background music I'd designed the entire project around.
If I were to get back into making videos I wouldn't do it on YouTube. I don't care about ad money or being demonetized, I just want to be able to upload whatever I want and for it to get an audience. It's depressing to hear about how professional YouTubers have to struggle with "the algorithm" and other hostile and confusing aspects of the site's design for years on end because it's their livelihood.
Also, if anyone knows a good video editing tutorial/online class, please post it. My editing skills are very amateurish and I'd like to get better.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
(don't want to share it because it's got footage of my real face)
I'll actually reveal my face in the next video. It would be quite hard to make a cooking segment funny without filming your face.

Virtual Cafe Awards

GothMonk

Intergalactic Bounty Hunter
Reaction score
Awards
if anyone knows a good video editing tutorial/online class, please post it. My editing skills are very amateurish and I'd like to get better

Although not a creator myself, if you're willing to fork out a bit of cash, there are usually really good tutorials on Udemy. I use it for my programming and resources for TTRPGs/creative writing.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Oasisboi

Physical embodiment of The Oasis
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
So, there's a fair amount of travellers that have Youtube channels and are into video production. I've decided to make a general thread so we can share our progress, advice, and (many) grievances with each other without being relegated only to the profile posts section. Feel free to speculate about the algorithm, compare editing software and audio equipment, and shill your stuff a bit.

Recently, @L. Rhodes has been asking about what would be the average time to get a minute's worth of final footage, so I'll take that as the opening question for this thread. I think 3-4 hours worth of work for a minute of footage is fair for a project of medium complexity.

Also, @CognacDefender , when's next video dropping?
Sick idea soma, Ill try to use it when I have time. Right now im just trying to make some ad videos so people will shop at my store.
Bought a shit laptop just so I could work on the go lol.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deadchief1175

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
@SomaSpice Thanks for making the thread! I've got a couple questions to ask you guys

Whats everyone using as an editing software?

I use adobe products! Used a bunch of shitty other free or bad programs before just forking over the cash.

Whats everyone's goal on YouTube or video?

My youtube channel is just basically what ive done forever of reading about an interesting topic (to me) and then trying to figure it out or just soak up as much info as possible about it. A lot of it is trivial yes, but I like it and its been fun presenting that knowledge through video form. I'd love to eventually get to have interviews or actually go like film and talk to the subject if that were ever possible. trying to think of my channel like a show that you can tune into when theres a good episode or subject you enjoy. Would love to make it a job but also I realize how unrealistic and hard that is and how lucky you truly have to be.

Favorite YouTube channels?

mine are Mega64, Crowbcat, Nexpo, Matt Mcmuscles, and Gaming Historian.

I'll start there! Gonna subscribe to everyone in the thread and lets help each other out! Now to get to work~

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
@SomaSpice Thanks for making the thread! I've got a couple questions to ask you guys

I use adobe products! Used a bunch of shitty other free or bad programs before just forking over the cash.

My youtube channel is just basically what ive done forever of reading about an interesting topic (to me) and then trying to figure it out or just soak up as much info as possible about it. A lot of it is trivial yes, but I like it and its been fun presenting that knowledge through video form. I'd love to eventually get to have interviews or actually go like film and talk to the subject if that were ever possible. trying to think of my channel like a show that you can tune into when theres a good episode or subject you enjoy. Would love to make it a job but also I realize how unrealistic and hard that is and how lucky you truly have to be.

mine are Mega64, Crowbcat, Nexpo, Matt Mcmuscles, and Gaming Historian.

I'll start there! Gonna subscribe to everyone in the thread and lets help each other out! Now to get to work~
My current stack is aftereffects, premiere pro, photoshop, blender, and audacity for audio.

I wanna make the anthitesis of a video essay. If video essays are hyper analytical, wordy, and present the narrator as an intellectual figure, I want something that's mostly experiential, visual, and present the narrator as just some rando that wants to share something fun. I want to maximize production value and fun. I want to make kino, not pseudo intellectual slop.

Besides mine? :agpepsi: I admire Leonardo of Biz and Max0r's dedication to high-effort production. I used to love Ssseth, but lately I've found him to be stagnating a bit. I could never hold a candle to his wit tho.

Also, when I get the time I'll finish watching your vid, I've already subscribed.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 4436

I wanna make the anthitesis of a video essay. If video essays are hyper analytical, wordy, and present the narrator as an intellectual figure, I want something that's mostly experiential, visual, and present the narrator as just some rando that wants to share something fun. I want to maximize production value and fun. I want to make kino, not pseudo intellectual slop.
Honorable

Software
Up until recently, I was using Openshot because it was supposed to be the "easiest to use" of all video editors, and I didn't really want to commit to learning any of the more complex programs if I'm only going to make a few videos in my whole life. I've changed my mind though, because I couldn't stand how few features it had, and how often it kept crashing.
I'm using Davinci resolve now, as it's only a bit more complex, with Audacity for audio, and Gimp for images and such.

Goal with Youtube
Well, as a zoomer who grew up alongside the site, I decided that I wanted to be a "Youtuber" around the time that I was like 12, right around the time that the term "Youtuber" first entered into the general public's vocabulary. I quit using the internet for quite a few years not long afterwards though, so I guess that lied dormant in me for a while. When I eventually started browsing 4chan after my break from the internet, I was most often in those e-celeb threads talking about Youtube, since I couldn't really stand all of the old "intellectual" videos I used to watch. They still all seem to empty to me. My childhood goal seems to have never really went away though, so I guess I'm going to go through with it anyways.

One thing I've since come to realize is how young a lot of the Youtubers I used to watch really were. I always assumed that they were an indefinite age older than me, though after looking them up now, it seems that a lot of them (Emplemon, Solar Sands, and Hamon Beat, for example) were only like 16 when I started watching their videos. If I'm ever going to catch up to them, it only makes sense that I should start now.

But yeah, in terms of videos, I'd like to try to make the exact opposite of the usual video essay, as well. I've spent quite a bit of time thinking about this, since I used to watch a lot of game/movie reviews when I was younger though I can hardly sit through them now. So, I want to make videos which do the exact opposite of those; instead of making videos that people watch in order to copy others' opinions on things, I try to convince people to go out and form their own opinions on topics. Instead of making a video essay where I half-heartedly deliver a select amount of information on a topic, I get people interested in them so they can go out and learn more of their own volition. That's the end goal, anyways.

I'm probably not going to limit myself to making any one type of video though. I've been thinking of recording some song covers like this, but I'm a bit camera-shy so I haven't uploaded any of them

Favorite channels
I think the biggest inspirations on me are Rank10YGO and Cybershell
Pseudiom covers such a wide variety of topics, too, and I think he does a good job overall at reaching the same level of depth that I'm trying to achieve
Another one is Solar Sands, as I've mentioned. I can't say I think that his videos are really doing the topics he talks about justice, but he's still the best when it comes to video essays about art and things
Fredrik Knudsen is another guy who makes really high quality videos (I'm only now realizing just how good they are) that I don't think are good enough. Lord knows I'll never put in enough effort to make anything like them, though.
BaseSk8r is a total bro too, along side some other up-and-coming e-celebs I've come into contact with. I was maybe considering even inviting some of them here to Agora, but I don't know them well enough and I don't want to come off as pushy

Last edited by a moderator:

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
What's been driving me nuts for years is that some Lego stop motion YouTube channel I started in elementary school with super amateur content (literally edited in WMM) had several videos get over +100k views, yet no matter how hard I would try on other channels with varying content I could never get that level of viewers again. Idk if it's just because the algorithm was better or what. But it's kinda neat seeing people still comment time to time on decade old videos being like "used to watch this as a kid, so nostalgic."
Don't really make videos like I used to these days, but I try to force myself to at least upload something with actual effort every leap year on February 29th.
Most of the stuff I've uploaded that managed to not get deleted from the internet was stuff I threw onto Vidlii. I squatted a ton of legacy media username's years ago and put shitpost/ytp tier videos onto them:

Always wanted to do a game review channel or an Internet culture podcast or something along those lines but there's no shortage of those these days...

Sony Vegas (the crashes drive me nuts)

Shit posting these days, but on the series I actually put effort into it's to provide the viewer with an experimental experience they can't get anywhere else, something that ties into my personal life/feelings and forces me to get creative with the editing.

Check out my list!

I want something that's mostly experiential, visual, and present the narrator as just some rando that wants to share something fun. I want to maximize production value and fun. I want to make kino, not pseudo intellectual slop.
Vaguely related to that idea is this video, where the narrative is presented merely with relevant audio samples

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deadchief1175

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Is anyone here familiar with filmora 11?
Unfortunately not, but if you are going with free, I suggest Lightworks. Kinda like GIMP is to Adobe but I really do suggest, just getting sony vegas or Adobe Premiere. I hear there are ways to get them for free... in minecraft. Allegedly. Butttt i mean if you really dont care. Just look up tutorials on youtube, im sure they gotta have some.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deadchief1175

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com

Also, when I get the time I'll finish watching your vid, I've already subscribed.

So do you maybe have an example of like what you ultimately what to make? That sounds really interesting, I really like this wave of people seeming to just want to share stuff again it seems like. Like just for the sake of sharing yknow? Do you have any topics or upcoming videos that are going to be in that style?

Also thank you a lot! I know its a long video but really, alot of the stuff i have planned right now is kinda like background content. The video is there to illustrate things and hopefully have visual reference like video, photos etc. However, its really kinda like storytime in my eyes, like "hey this is an interesting topic, wanna hear about it?"
Honorable

Software
Up until recently, I was using Openshot because it was supposed to be the "easiest to use" of all video editors, and I didn't really want to commit to learning any of the more complex programs if I'm only going to make a few videos in my whole life. I've changed my mind though, because I couldn't stand how few features it had, and how often it kept crashing.
I'm using Davinci resolve now, as it's only a bit more complex, with Audacity for audio, and Gimp for images and such.

Might I suggest, upgrading? Not familair with those programs but I always really suggest just going for the Adobe Premiere if you are serious. Its just worth it to me personally because its the standard everywhere pretty much. However if its really just a fun hobby then by all means stick to free stuff.

Goal with Youtube
One thing I've since come to realize is how young a lot of the Youtubers I used to watch really were. I always assumed that they were an indefinite age older than me, though after looking them up now, it seems that a lot of them (Emplemon, Solar Sands, and Hamon Beat, for example) were only like 16 when I started watching their videos. If I'm ever going to catch up to them, it only makes sense that I should start now.

Yeah, its honestly crazy how many people have been doing this at such a young age and for so long. I've been making stuff (music, videos, etc) for a long time but have never been serious and never posted stuff alot and it amazes me the amount of hours that truly have to go into any of these things to be good. Its easy to underestimate. We always see the end result, all the channels we've mentioned, at one time we're just like us. Starting out, all at different points of skill and its easy to forget how much time you just have to put into it if you want anything out of it, So its all really for the love of it a the beginning. Sorry kind of a tangent.
But yeah, in terms of videos, I'd like to try to make the exact opposite of the usual video essay, as well. I've spent quite a bit of time thinking about this, since I used to watch a lot of game/movie reviews when I was younger though I can hardly sit through them now. So, I want to make videos which do the exact opposite of those; instead of making videos that people watch in order to copy others' opinions on things, I try to convince people to go out and form their own opinions on topics. Instead of making a video essay where I half-heartedly deliver a select amount of information on a topic, I get people interested in them so they can go out and learn more of their own volition. That's the end goal, anyways.

I'm probably not going to limit myself to making any one type of video though. I've been thinking of recording some song covers like this, but I'm a bit camera-shy so I haven't uploaded any of them

I think that seems like what a lot of the channels do to a degree, like instead of just telling you the opinon and being bias to a situation or idea it seems like a lot of people now just present information and YOU as the viewer can decide to keep going down the rabbit hole if you want as opposed to being told what to think but maybe I'm wrong. I've never enjoyed the 4 hour long diatribe about why undertale is actually an allegory for world war 2. Well same with soma do you have any upcoming videos or ideas you'd really like to tackle in that vain or narrative?

Dude you play guitar? Thats awesome! Def do that, I'm gonna start a personal channel too and its gonna be stuff like that, like just whatever i want to upload.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deadchief1175

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Also I make music too and have been working on a library of copyright free background music. Mostly like jungle and synthwave, and maybe some more ambient stuff in the future. So if you guys ever need some tracks hit me up!

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
So do you maybe have an example of like what you ultimately what to make? That sounds really interesting, I really like this wave of people seeming to just want to share stuff again it seems like. Like just for the sake of sharing yknow? Do you have any topics or upcoming videos that are going to be in that style?
Hmm, nothing really comes to mind, but I think my princess maker 2 video is what comes the closest to that ideal. The system shock one is better overall, but a tad bit boring. The rest before those two are just kinda bad. The upcoming video on Disillusion should be like that, too.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Thereal

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
@SomaSpice Your Princess video is great man. I've been meaning to check out your System Shock vid for so long, you put a lot of detail into the visuals so I don't wanna just listen to it while playing vidya.
@Deadchief1175 I just clicked on a random part of the video and saw Santa Joker. This looks super high quality though so I'll watch it tonight.
@CognacDefender I checked out the Disillusion review. Well written and I agree with most of it. I think you should mix your voice higher and add some sort of background music if you make more. Also knowing your voice makes your posts funnier now.
@L. Rhodes I have zero interest in visual novels but I respect making a video about the settings menu. Baller.

I've been playing around with a video idea in my head for like a year now so I think I will eventually make it. In the meantime here's an old video I made a few years ago about Bionicle. Headphone warning though, this shit is loud.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
No YouTuber but I still edit videos now and then and use Davinci Resolve for that.
When I'm back from Japan I will compile all the footage into a music video so my next challenge will be to make lots of beat synched cuts and effects.

Virtual Cafe Awards
@SomaSpice Your Princess video is great man. I've been meaning to check out your System Shock vid for so long, you put a lot of detail into the visuals so I don't wanna just listen to it while playing vidya.
@Deadchief1175 I just clicked on a random part of the video and saw Santa Joker. This looks super high quality though so I'll watch it tonight.
@CognacDefender I checked out the Disillusion review. Well written and I agree with most of it. I think you should mix your voice higher and add some sort of background music if you make more. Also knowing your voice makes your posts funnier now.
@L. Rhodes I have zero interest in visual novels but I respect making a video about the settings menu. Baller.

I've been playing around with a video idea in my head for like a year now so I think I will eventually make it. In the meantime here's an old video I made a few years ago about Bionicle. Headphone warning though, this shit is loud.
Keep it real.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deadchief1175

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Whats this video idea about? would love to discuss more potential ideas for videos just to bounce them off of each other. Really want to do a video on nootropics and gaming and try and compare a couple of formulas almost like a science experiment. Thanks for watching btw~

Virtual Cafe Awards