Tears of the Kingdom

• Thread starter Jade
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 3176 times.

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I'm interested, but I'm going to wait until it comes out to get a better idea if the higher price for this one is justified.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

i am very excited for it. my niece talked me into watching gameplay video...i didnt want to get spoiled but you know..

anyway i saw only pieces, but everything i saw looked very promising

i get a little nervous for new zeldas because the bar is so high and its so easy for nintendo to do something retarded and make it shit. im was apprehesive about "how can they improve botw"...who knows if they can but i am very excited to see

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
i am very excited for it. my niece talked me into watching gameplay video...i didnt want to get spoiled but you know..

anyway i saw only pieces, but everything i saw looked very promising

i get a little nervous for new zeldas because the bar is so high and its so easy for nintendo to do something retarded and make it shit. im was apprehesive about "how can they improve botw"...who knows if they can but i am very excited to see
I think they absolutely can. I wasn't too hyped about this game until this gameplay trailer dropped. I'm looking forward to just being able to spend an entire session messing around with mechanics and exploring.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

i NEED to hear more of the main theme used in the trailer. Sounds very promising.
i am hoping for better music

breath of the wild wa the first zelda to not have Koji Kondo directly involved and in my opinion, it showed. i love the game and the music isnt BAD...when it's playing....but zelda music is iconic and i was very disappointed in the lack of iconic music

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
i am hoping for better music

breath of the wild wa the first zelda to not have Koji Kondo directly involved and in my opinion, it showed. i love the game and the music isnt BAD...when it's playing....but zelda music is iconic and i was very disappointed in the lack of iconic music
I think it was what the series needed, honestly. Everything was just getting so stale. They needed to strip it down and rebuild it. BOTW was the first one I got really into since Wind Waker. My biggest fear with TOTK is it won't do enough to differentiate itself from BOTW.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

I think it was what the series needed, honestly. Everything was just getting so stale. They needed to strip it down and rebuild it. BOTW was the first one I got really into since Wind Waker. My biggest fear with TOTK is it won't do enough to differentiate itself from BOTW.
well i know what you mean by stale. but i dont think they were relying on a formula like many say...i think they were leaning into cinematics and story more than gameplay...i dont think thats good or bad it was just a choice

people say skyward sword was lazy and formulaic, but it seems like they really were just like leaning on the cinematic element.

i like all the types of zelda for different reasons. i like the 2d puzzlers, i like the 3d cinematic ones, i like breath of the wild, each zelda has something in it that i love.

breath of the wild i dont think was a strip down, i think it was just leaning into something new.

i loved botw, i can play it endlessly. i dont know if tears of the kingdom will live up or be the same or super different i really cant say, but im sure that no matter what, i will find something i love about it

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
well i know what you mean by stale. but i dont think they were relying on a formula like many say...i think they were leaning into cinematics and story more than gameplay...i dont think thats good or bad it was just a choice
It's subjective for sure, but for me the issue was unskippable, overly long tutorials and an over-reliance on putting gates in the world that relied on collecting a bunch of random shit to artfically extend the game. These things started to creep in with Wind Waker, but I feel like they got really bad in Twilight Princess. Throughout the series, areas of the game were inaccessible from the outset and you had to get new items to progress, but later in the series it got really egregious and over the top. Hunting for shadow insects in Twilight Princess is a good example of the kind of thing I am talking about.

That's not to say there's not a bunch of random shit to collect in BOTW, but the difference is it's not required to progress through the game.

Again, all subjective, I'm not going to tell anyone what they can and can't enjoy. However, I know if they didn't tone down this kind of stuff, I personally probably never would have played a Zelda game again.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

It's subjective for sure, but for me the issue was unskippable, overly long tutorials and an over-reliance on putting gates in the world that relied on collecting a bunch of random shit to artfically extend the game. These things started to creep in with Wind Waker, but I feel like they got really bad in Twilight Princess. Throughout the series, areas of the game were inaccessible from the outset and you had to get new items to progress, but later in the series it got really egregious and over the top. Hunting for shadow insects in Twilight Princess is a good example of the kind of thing I am talking about.

That's not to say there's not a bunch of random shit to collect in BOTW, but the difference is it's not required to progress through the game.

Again, all subjective, I'm not going to tell anyone what they can and can't enjoy. However, I know if they didn't tone down this kind of stuff, I personally probably never would have played a Zelda game again.
I get what you mean but what I remember most about the the GameCube Zeldas was cinematic moment and story stuff

It seemed like in striving to make stuff epic and story driven, they sort of forgot about the GAME part of it and I am glad with botw they took a step back and made it game first, story second

To me the Diff styles of Zelda are just different flavors of ice cream. They're all delicious to me in their own way, but I would never get to a point to say "chocolate again?! I'm done with ice cream forever"

Either way I am glad they stepped away from the heavily movie-like Zeldas at least for now

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
The first zelda game I ever played was Skyward Sword and at the time I loved it (kind of doubt I would now though). I played OoC and WWHD soon after as well and then BotW came out. I remember when I finally beat the game I had this really strong disappointment that the story was so lackluster but as I thought about it more I had to admit to myself that even though I was really disappointed in that department, it was still my favorite zelda game. I do hope that TotK has a better story but I'm also realizing that I don't really care about that nearly as much as I used to.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
The first zelda game I ever played was Skyward Sword and at the time I loved it (kind of doubt I would now though). I played OoC and WWHD soon after as well and then BotW came out. I remember when I finally beat the game I had this really strong disappointment that the story was so lackluster but as I thought about it more I had to admit to myself that even though I was really disappointed in that department, it was still my favorite zelda game. I do hope that TotK has a better story but I'm also realizing that I don't really care about that nearly as much as I used to.
Skyward Sword was the second Zelda game I played (after Spirit Tracks) and I really liked it back then, and I think I would still like it today, but the amount of filler I remember being egregious. Gotta do the Imprisoned fight 3 times, gotta do the Sealed Realm 3 times, gotta backtrack to every single zone in the game several times over. It's a 15 hour game stretched to 30 hours. They do try to switch it up as best they can with the repeated content, but it really starts to drag after a certain point.

One thing I will defend Skyward Sword for is the Wiimote controls though. People complain about it all the time, but I never had any problems with it, either with or without Wii Motion+. I thought it controlled perfectly and half the fun of that game is using the wiimote to swing your sword around.

Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The first zelda game I ever played was Skyward Sword and at the time I loved it (kind of doubt I would now though).
I think this is a lot of the reason for the difference in perspectives. I grew up on the NES games, A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening. OOT came out when I was 14. I was a teenager by the time the series made the jump to 3D. You're going to be nostalgic for what you grew up on. The games I played growing up were light on story and tutorials and you had to fuck around for yourself to figure out where to go.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz

I absolutely loved this trailer, this was the perfect way to finish it.
FtnLr2MXwAAI0S7

all right which one?
I always liked Wind Waker the best because of how much subtelty goes into his character
In OoT he plays the organ and is just a moustache-twirling bad guy, but in WW he actually explains that his own kingdom was a barren desert and he was envious of Hyrule's fertility. After the kingdom is flooded he realizes the nature of the curse he's trapped under: Two or more people who hate each other being reincarnated over and over, passing down their hatred to their reincarnations, is a very common trope in Buddhist tales. Ganondorf realizes that even if he kills Link and Zelda, they're just gonna be reborn again and the cycle will continue. So he tries to give up his hatred towards them: which in effect, is giving up Demise's hatred towards the goddess Hylia. That's why he deliberately chooses not to kill Link and Zelda even when he has the opportunity - He wants to break the cycle of hatred. But he fails because Link and Zelda refuse to give up their hatred for him, and by extension, Hylia's hatred for Demise. Ganondorf bitterly realizes this after the King snatches the Triforce away from him, and that unless he or one of his descendants can both give up their own hatred and convince Link and Zelda to give up their hatred for him, they will continue to reincarnate and kill each other, forever, which leads to a mental breakdown and releasing all of the hatred towards Hylia's reincarnations that he had tried to keep suppressed.

Virtual Cafe Awards