Introduce yourself!

GhostBox

spook
Reaction score
Awards
Hey there! I stumbled upon Agora Road while exploring the "dead internet theory." With the rise of ChatGPT, I began to ponder if bots, created by state actors or others, have already taken over the entire internet to push particular ideas. It just seems strange how internet culture has changed so rapidly from my younger years.
I was an early user of digg and later >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk, but those places quickly became unbearable. In the late 2000s, I migrated to 4chan and never looked back. However, even 4chan started to feel different. Could it all be bots?
One part could be unironic bots and shills. The really spooky part is when you realize that due to the algorithmic nature of social media people are turning into bots because they are molded by the social media sites so their opinions and behavior becomes on one hand a copy-of-a-copy and in the other hand predictable because that is being rewarded by internet points.

Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
I plan on lurking and absorbing the culture before making any more posts. Thanks for having me!
The culture is to be yourself. The nature of the site changes as people come and go so don't try to conform yourself to anything you see on here. Just be yourself, be civil, and things will work out great :)

Virtual Cafe Awards

NAVO

he/him, 23
Reaction score
Awards
Introduce yourself:
who's been looking for salvation and true wilt on Internet and basically lost interest in real life

What cancelled sitcom best describes your life?
midnight gospel, though it's a cartoon not a sitcom, but just like my past life which has been dramatically ups and downs, travel between different groups of people and enviroment, my real life and thoughts in mind is like from different dimensions, but everytime i feels like breaking down and it's the apocalypse of my ego

What subgenres are you most into?
idk, just new to the concept of vaperwave, but i guess im most into the anime style, take INTERNET OVERDOSE and the game NEEDYGIRL OVERDOSE as an example, i bought and play it as the time it was published —— it feels so me of the past, staying in the dark room surfing on the internet and posting stupid selfies, praying to be loved

How did you find out about this place?
tbh, from 4chan /x/, love the posts here and there

What do you do for fun?
reading books of occult and witchcraft, currently reading Liber Null and Psychonaut by Peter J. Carroll, loved it but i didnt practise yet

Mana Moonlight

08th Puzzle Keeper
Reaction score
Awards
On to my favourite topic: myself.

• I don't watch sitcoms. Though I thought the Cheers theme song was brilliant and I still listen to it from time to time in a Vitamin C juice-induced stupor. "Taking a break from all your worries sure would help a lot. Wouldn't you want to get away?" Yes. Abso-iggin-lutely.
  • Festering digital viscera. Never could get into vaporwave. Floral Shoppe bored me. Blank Banshee doubly so. 2814 made for good study music, but otherwise didn't click with me. Until I listened to I'll Try Living Like This by dds.wmv. God that album is the shit. Specifically, that album is a rotting digital shitpile, in a good way of course. Lethal overdose on capitalism in a vaporwave mall. Sailor Moon and Sonic R and AOA are put in the meat grinder, packed in a plastic bag, then left in the curb under the sun to rot. Love it to death.
  • Dead Internet Theory. Like most others, an internet refugee. I could go on and on about that, but I'll spare you the deets and get straight to the point. I grew disillusioned with social media. Whole reason I used soc med was to nerd out about my favourite topics with like-minded people. But every social media is just an algorithmic digital hellhole where real friggin demons are behind the computer screen pulling the strings and keeping you glued. I've pondered about getting a Nokia phone and retreating to a more honest internet, one that hasn't been tainted by corpo drones. So when I heard of a forum that emulates exactly that, I was hooked.
Hello.

Virtual Cafe Awards

DistrictLost

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Probably the fresh prince of bel air. Rarely if never see my dad in real life. Only it's without the big house and definitely without the wealth and all of that stuff.

What does vaporwave mean to you?
Vaporwave along with a few other genres, really helped me through some tough times that I've had. So vaporwave can mean a lot.
I find that vaporwave can be a vibe in of itself, and it could also mean a longing for the past as well, which is not a bad thing at all. It's like when you're having a bad day and you're about to break down, vaporwave is the warm hug, or the warm blanket you immerse yourself in when times are tough.

What sub-genres are you most into?
Along with vaporwave, future funk also helped me through a lot. In fact, these genres had such a great impact on me that I'm now making vaporwave music.

I found out about this place from the help of reddit.

What do you do for fun?

I make vaporwave and a few other genres (not related), browse the internet, and I like to take my dog for walks. I find it calming.

GhostBox

spook
Reaction score
Awards
Here's a small playlist of some of my vaporwave like stuff.
Here's the playlist.
I'm hoping to get better at making vaporwave. I also like to make lofi and hip hop beats as well, but I'm going to focus more on vaporwave for the time being.
I have listened to the songs.

Analog had a nice concept with the distortion, The Bustlin' City was nice overall. Take Me Back To The Good Times was rather Synthwave-y. Gamin' could have used some more progressing or a sample, it got rather repetitive at the end. Changing Stations is chill, was a nice listen.

If I am not mistaken you do the songs from scratch, right?

Virtual Cafe Awards

DistrictLost

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I have listened to the songs.

Analog had a nice concept with the distortion, The Bustlin' City was nice overall. Take Me Back To The Good Times was rather Synthwave-y. Gamin' could have used some more progressing or a sample, it got rather repetitive at the end. Changing Stations is chill, was a nice listen.

If I am not mistaken you do the songs from scratch, right?
I start from scratch, but use samples. And I appreciate your feedback! Like I said, I'm fairly new to making vaporwave so any tips or feedback is welcome.

d3vN3xv5

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards

Just a bunch that helped define it : Are you afraid of the dark, family matters, Snick, Rugrats, early Morning saturday cartoons

What does Vaporwave mean to you?
It's a life style, a time that used to be. Nostalgia, serenity

Retrowave

A single sentence on a post on a random thread in /x/

What do you do for fun?
code, pentest, watch movies, and my guilty pleasure is LoL.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ArsMoriendi

Hello Agora Road! I understand this forum is mostly Americans (Y/N?) so forgive my Brit turns of phrase here.

Seinfeld. Specifically, I live in the uncomfortable no man's land between George and Kramer. Plus, bonus points for nights spent age 12 watching repeats of it on trips to America - good times.

What does vaporware mean to you?
Something about how we have grown able to sniff out 'aesthetics', those very particular nuances about how things used to look, and used to be. It's almost like every era has a sort of spirit, or essence or something like that, that transcends any individual thing that comes from that time and lives in the back of our minds. This is what vaporware is all about, not just going back to the past to relive it, but to bring back a feeling that we all know but can't really explain.

Now, I'm going to make it plain I am no vaporware expert - I'm here as much as an escapee from the >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk cesspool as a listener of the music. Hence, I'm not quite sure of each micro genre tag it's possible to use on Bandcamp. I know what I like though. My favourite styles are Mallsoft (or really anything relating to the smooth muzak they play in shopping centres, airport terminals, or hotel lobbies - I spent so much time as a kid in those plush empty spaces, and they are still the most nostalgic places for me) and - well, I'm not sure what you would call it - stuff like PrismCorp's Home and ClearSkies, that MIDI sound that used to soundtrack corporate training tapes and Nintendo DS games (Jamie Oliver for Nintendo was underrated, btw).

Well, obviously the Dead Internet Theory thread, which is really the only way at this point, because this site never shows up unless you specifically search for it. I like it that way - never change! Anyway, I looked around and liked the feel of the place, and since I had been on a binge of older websites like on the Archive I figured you were the closest in spirit to what the internet used to be, so I joined. Things seem cool and bot-less over here.

What do you do for fun?
Well, I'm a student, and I work a little, so... I don't have a whole lot of fun apart from the usual: movies, books, music. But when I do get involved with a hobby of some-description, I use my mega-autism to focus really hard on it until it stops being fun. I would say the main nerd thing I do is photography - but that's (sort of) part of what I study. I've been singing/growling/squeaking into a mic for a while, but never performed. My main thing is to clean out the now-oppressive quantity of tat I have accumulated in a few short years, which in my case is harder that quitting meth whilst learning to speak Arabic. I have also seen every episode of The Last of the Summer Wine more than once - thank you Granny and Papa.

NoHoTradWaif

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Million Dollar Extreme. Literally me fr. If not that, Children's Hospital.
It means chill vibes and soothing sounds, evoking the liminality of a mall or waiting room from the late 20th century—the time period itself being a liminal space betwixt postmodernity we find ourselves in and the modernity of that bygone romanticized age.
Mallsoft when I am studying or reading, found footage type stuff like Eccodroid when I am feeling sad and want to dance and thrash alone in my room, and classic Macintosh Plus Floral Shoppe shit when I really wanna scare the hoes at the house party.
Some youtube video about LHOHQ I think..
What do you do for fun?
Smoke Weed, Read shit, develop one-way crushes with my best friends that inevitably ruin my chances at any platonic bond.

Rams969

Magos Explorator
Reaction score
Awards
Introduce yourself: here are some prompts:

What do you do for fun?
Glad to be here
1. What cancelled sitcom best describes your life?
The sitcoms I know and liked have been suffering a worst fate than being cancelled, instead the problem I have is with shows that have been going on for too long and just become boring and souless because the original scrip writer either don't give a shit or they left the series long ago.
2. What does Vaporwave mean to you?
I'm a zoomer so obviously I never lived the time Vaporwave tries to homage or imitate, but for some reason it gives me nostalgic for a time and world before everything became crazy and stupid. Makes feel that the internet had soul before the same 5 social medias took control of the people and information.
3. What subgenres are you most into?
I recognize that I'm not really into vaporwave music beyond the aesthetic, the only subgenre quite like it that I kinda know about is dungeon synth, but I'm willing to learn more.
4. How did you find out about this place?
Trought /x/ in 4chan, some guys were calling this place interesting, other guys were calling you faggots, worth a check.
5. What do you do for fun?
I'm really into tabletop gaming so I paint minis, play roleplaying and war games and I also research topics about history in the internet, usually ancient and medieval history.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ihwnb

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Introduce yourself: here are some prompts:

What do you do for fun?
Hello frens. I like vaporwave because its the only music which can put me in a positive mindset to handle my days. Imagining myself in a time of limitless tech possibility and personal freedom is a perfcet escape from the consistent political noise from other humans.
I'm most into late-night lofi and signalwave tbh. Anything to prolong the isolation.
I'm here from /x/.

SirMichaelVintage

Lord of the Vintage, Your Nintendo Will Be Mine.
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Greetings, I'm Mike and according to myself I am "very vintage."

Seinfeld is a good one, because just like the show nothing interesting happens.

I didn't really get much into it, it was pretty popular in 2016 when I was still a young lad but right now I still see it as slowed down 80s synth music with analog overtones. I guess now its evolved to either artists making their own nostalgia-bait tracks or doing a better job at masking what song they altered to get the shopping mall effect going but either way its much the same.

What sub-genres are you most into?

I don't know what this means, sub-genres of vaporwave? Because if so I haven't involved myself in it long enough to know they even existed.
That's explained in the next prompt, don't nail me to a cross.

An album that I thought would be good for a cheesy 80's parody video had a link to this website in the description, and it looked like an interesting place to get into forum culture. Very Cool!
It's only that I write this introduction do I realize this is a vaporwave den, so forgive me for not being in the know.

What do you do for fun?
Vidya gaming, also video production but what's out there right now isn't discussion worthy.

View attachment fbi-secret-agent-listens-and-footage-111389975_iconl.webp
Any criticisms can be directed towards the 2nd story window facing south at 493 Halsey St. in Brooklyn, New York. No Psyop stuff going on there at all.

Drifloon

Computer
Reaction score
Awards
I don't watch television.
It's a nice aesthetic.
I don't know many.
I was at my father's house for a few days. I was using my phone to browse 4chan, and I don't have an adblock on it. I saw an ad for a SomaSpice video and tapped on it. I read his YouTube about page, I enjoy reading the about page of even random commenters I find on YT, and found the site through there.
What do you do for fun?
Play video games, I guess.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Haujaf

Honey Suckle
Reaction score
Awards
Hello from the other side of earth. I am Haujaf. I like to read :)

None in mind
Cool and dreamy in thoughts
Got into breakcore recently. It's really nice to listen to
4chan and >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk :p

What do you do for fun?
I don't think many nowadays would find reading is a fun thing to do :(
but other than that I also do play games but not that much :>

Abolbo

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Im not too familiar with old sitcoms, but if bending the rules is permissable, i'll say "Always Sunny"

Really neat flash-in-the-pan subgenre, feels like a xerox of the 1990's

Im into everything for the most part, but old punk ('76-'79) and Early Hyperpop are consistent favorites

/x/, sadly

What do you do for fun?
I spend a lot of time outside cooking food and whatnot, i also enjoy writing and making music. Generally im willing to try anything, i honestly enjoy most things

Thanks for having me everybody, this is the kind of forum i've been trying to find for years. Can't wait to get to know some of you