How do you stay up to date on current events?

• Thread starter WKYK
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 2347 times.

WKYK

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Reaction score
Awards
Website
wkyk.neocities.org
As someone who is becoming more interested in global politics, I want to have a reliable way to find out what is happening in the world. However now more than ever there is a big distrust in the media, with basically every source seeming to push an agenda. So I wanted to ask, where do you all stay informed? Is there one website/app you rely on, or is it a more decentralized process with multiple sources to offset each other's bias?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Collision

Green Tea Ice Cream
Reaction score
Awards
From most to least accurate:
  1. Encounters with post-human intelligence while lucid dreaming
  2. Graffiti in gas station bathrooms
  3. My network of vagrants
  4. Interpreting the shapes of clouds
  5. CIA steganography bots on abandoned message boards
  6. Steam curators

Virtual Cafe Awards

Drevius

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Honestly man I'd check out some nonfiction books. By the time something is published it'll have gone through a ton of filters, editors, and fact checkers which will sort through a lot of the BS.

@schizophrenicreads on Instagram has some legit recs.

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
My only warning to you is to remember that ignorance is bliss.

Imo your best bet is to find places that still allow comment sections on news stories and read through those. Different publications will have their biased audiences, and you'll have to wade through bots and shills but there's still good nuggets of info and people seeing past the spin/bias, especially with the commenters being normal people rather than boujee corporate journalists. When doing this the burden of verifying the validity of commenters falls on you tho.

I like ZeroHedge for the most part but they certainly have their bias.

Unironically KiwiFarms is decent for keeping up with major happenings in real time, it's uncensored discussion which may turn a lot of people off but they're autistically skilled in their ability to find information and fact check. They were my go to source during the outbreak of the Ukraine war.

Honestly man I'd check out some nonfiction books. By the time something is published it'll have gone through a ton of filters, editors, and fact checkers which will sort through a lot of the BS.

@schizophrenicreads on Instagram has some legit recs.
I contest this point. Having a good editor is one thing but if you want to get through the major publishers I really don't see them letting you get passed the pre approved narratives for certain topics. Some pretty flawed and condemned historical publications have slipped by them over the decades as well. Having a published book is not inherently a sign of quality information. Can't really speak on that Instagram's recommendations though.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Depends on what you want to know. My worldview is most heavily influenced by the following commentators:

1. Scott Horton
2. CaspianReport
3. Academic Agent
4. What If Alt Hist
5. Michael Malice
6. Glenn Greenwald
7. Aaron Macintyre
8. Benjamin Boyce

There are others, but those are my current favorites. The common threads are political realism, anti-wokism, and relentless criticism of American Empire at home and abroad.

_TF

Delusion-maxxing
Reaction score
Awards
As someone who is becoming more interested in global politics, I want to have a reliable way to find out what is happening in the world. However now more than ever there is a big distrust in the media, with basically every source seeming to push an agenda. So I wanted to ask, where do you all stay informed? Is there one website/app you rely on, or is it a more decentralized process with multiple sources to offset each other's bias?
I don't inform myself.
If I need to know something, then the information will come to me, not the other way around.

That way, you have a lot of free space in your head to use for your life projects or whatnot, instead of random shit happening halfway around the globe.

Volitionthumb.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

selfKaiHarness

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I usually stay up to date with these types of websites (that aren't a cesspool of dumbass doomposters) they aren't easy to find on regular searches:
Sunny's Journal
Bibliotecapleyades
Galactic Channelings
Galactic Anthropology

These are the ones that gave me a hopeful outlook on the future of humanity and the like. Better news reporting than Twitter and other news networks has to offer. Also it's a bit esoteric on some websites but i don't mind since i'm a big fan on the esoteric subject.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Voicedrew

Take the monarchy pill anon
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
voicedrew.xyz
On a purely rational basis, there is no point in keeping up with current events. The likelihood of something important happening on a grand scale, and you being able to do anything about it, are slim to none. Being heavily invested in politics is a pathway to misery. The best way to keep up with current events is to ask your friends. It helps you by keeping you in the loop, and helps them articulate their ideas. Win win.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vetusomaru

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vetusomaru.dreamwidth.org
I do my best to ignore everything and somehow I'm still constantly terrorized with knowledge of current events...
Same. Even when you go out, you're bombarded with current event shit like with political posters, graffitis, virtue signaling ads...even when you go out to the super market for grocery shops, you'll see products packages that won't stfu about "muh enviroment" and shit.

lyte_blue

digital decay
Reaction score
Awards
What books? Communism manifesto? Most books are also full with globalist propaganda.
Well for starters, step outside of the cage of ideology and tribalism. They are just distractions and distortions of anything actually real. You can read literally anything as long as you have enough critical thought to assess it and choose to integrate it into your worldview, or throw it in the trash.

timelinker14

Wanderer of the Agora
Reaction score
Awards
What books? Communism manifesto? Most books are also full with globalist propaganda.
Lmao, just read regular philosophy. If you want a detail guide about WESTERN philosophy check this out: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/4...oject_1.pdf/revision/latest?cb=20181125223922

Also study at least one scientific discipline, I prefer math (not a science per se, more of a formal system), and you'll naturally gravitate towards what you are interested in. Be curious.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vetusomaru

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vetusomaru.dreamwidth.org
Lmao, just read regular philosophy. If you want a detail guide about WESTERN philosophy check this out: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/4...oject_1.pdf/revision/latest?cb=20181125223922
Also ancient Greek philosophy.

On a side note, schools should focus more at useful, practical lessons like classic philosophy and less at useless crap you will never use in daily life like chemistry (I hated that lesson with all my heart).

By the way the link doesn't works.