X was Y years ago

• Thread starter NSoph
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 3429 times.

Reaction score
Awards
Metal Gear Solid4 Solid Snake GIF - Metal Gear Solid4 Solid Snake Old -  Discover & Share GIFs

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
I don't get the "new generations don't know what X stuff is/was" i mean, i was born in 2002 this makes me a 20 years old zoomer and not only that but i was raised in a really backward village, to the point we were using late XX's technology during the late 2000s was to the point i know what a fucking hitclip and a beeper was, my dad owned one until 2012
hitclips-hack-featured.jpg

840_560.jpg

Hell, my dad even taught me how to write in morse code because some places still used the telegraph and telex machines
Telex_machine_ASR-32.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Boxerdog

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
FF last video was 5 years ago. R.I.P
The 3ds was released 12 years ago, it he 3d effect was supposed to be the peak of technology, You're really in the game!
FMAB was released in 14 years ago, i remember some kids getting in to a huge brawl in school over which series was better.
Chris chans sex tape was released 14 years ago. No comment.
Mirrors edge was released 15(!) years ago, it used to be all over the place and it was regarded as one of the best games ever, people barely remember it now.
Pico sim date was released 17(!!) years ago :PepeHands:

Its been 14 years since i told my parents i wanted to use the computer to learn japanese but i actually just wanted to stare at her boobs.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7FEZSC4fKA

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sketch Relics

Quiet Traveller
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Its been 14 years since i told my parents i wanted to use the computer to learn japanese but i actually just wanted to stare at her boobs.
Holy shit I totally forgot about her.

Watching that video also made me realize it's been 10 years (I think) since YouTube killed off video replies. I'm sure that on average they had a terrible click through rate, and by the end the feature was definitely being exploited/spammed by reply girls, but it was a cool concept that definitely allowed smaller communities to have a more cohesive structure.

Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
You guys are all so young. It makes me feel ancient. I am "I bought a game magazine at the newsstand as a ten-year-old because it had a huge preview of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island in it" years old. The idea that there are adults who are not old enough to have played PS2 is mind boggling. Time is a funny thing.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
You guys are all so young. It makes me feel ancient. I am "I bought a game magazine at the newsstand as a ten-year-old because it had a huge preview of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island in it" years old. The idea that there are adults who are not old enough to have played PS2 is mind boggling. Time is a funny thing.
Don't worry when its our turn to get old we'll be saying "You kids never heard of Skyrim? In my time we used to mod games, not AI generate them!" or some other vapid shit like that.

Virtual Cafe Awards

NSoph

The Singularity is Now
Reaction score
Awards
FF last video was 5 years ago. R.I.P
The 3ds was released 12 years ago, it he 3d effect was supposed to be the peak of technology, You're really in the game!
FMAB was released in 14 years ago, i remember some kids getting in to a huge brawl in school over which series was better.
Chris chans sex tape was released 14 years ago. No comment.
Mirrors edge was released 15(!) years ago, it used to be all over the place and it was regarded as one of the best games ever, people barely remember it now.
Pico sim date was released 17(!!) years ago :PepeHands:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7FEZSC4fKA

"And my arm got more strong! ^<^"
mine too, minx, mine too..

Virtual Cafe Awards

NSoph

The Singularity is Now
Reaction score
Awards
Don't worry when its our turn to get old we'll be saying "You kids never heard of Skyrim? In my time we used to mod games, not AI generate them!" or some other vapid shit like that.
People already do that with modlists, the guy who was in charge of the unofficial patch, the mod on which arguably most mods depend apart from SKSE/SkyUI/MCM, abandoned the nexus and sabotaged his own mods temporarily because people were modding VR and using modlists

Virtual Cafe Awards

housepoopr

You guys ever feel Weltschmerz at the thought that the world that you grew up in is gone? I am gravely sorry for the generations Z+. As a millenial, I experience the tale end of the 1980s and firmly grew up in the 90s. It was a beautiful time. We had cool tech, but we loved mom and dad, we loved our country and people and bowed our heads to Jesus Christ. I sometimes think the internet should have remained esoteric.

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
When the Angry Video Game Nerd webseries started in 2004, it was only 19 years ago the NES had it's US release (1985.) Now in 2023, it's been 19 years since the first episode of that series was made.
images

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
You guys ever feel Weltschmerz at the thought that the world that you grew up in is gone?
That's a good word for it. Yes, I do often. Usually when I'm listening to music; I've been listening to music that I am nostalgic for more often as an unhealthy coping mechanism as we descend further into Hard Times. There's a coalition of users here who use nostalgia as a coping mechanism.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
When the Angry Video Game Nerd webseries started in 2004, it was only 19 years ago the NES had it's US release (1985.) Now in 2023, it's been 19 years since the first episode of that series was made.
images
He really should have ended that series at episode #100. I know some of his best episodes were released after, but #100 was a good ending to the whole thing as the Nerd realizes the games are part of his life and even the worst have charms all their own. Later seasons, especially after the movie, just went more and more downhill into the pit of mediocrity. He clearly considers it a job now, not a passion. But hey, it's better than bagging groceries or working in a call center, right?

Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
images
This post turned my insides into dust. I used to watch this on fucking gametrailers.com which itself hasn't existed for years now.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Yesterday was one day ago. "Remember X celebrity? This is him now!" You all sound like a bunch of seniors. At least wait until you have grey hair. Until then, quit pretending you already have one foot in the grave.
I know this near 60 year old short Roma Gypsy fellow with more vitality than most zoomers I know. He goes jogging every day, a bundle of energy and a joy to be around, seemingly untouched by all the bullshit everyone is caught up in. Grew up in terrible conditions, I'd say he's counteracting all of the bad things done to him when he was young by now doing good to others. I want to be like that when I'm old.
Now how much has changed between 1985 and 2004 versus 2004 and today? Not just in video games. Although still worth mentioning: Could have anyone at the time of the realease of Super Mario Bros on NES predicted Half Life 2? I don't think so. But someone in 2004 Half Life Alyx? Yes, the change was still big, massive improvements in graphics, physics etc. but compared to the jump between 8-bit 2d sprites and the Source engine, it is nothing. It is better, but nothing has really changed.
Or look at cars: They still follow that big grill, angry, constipated-face design philosophy they already had back in the early 2000s, after having departed from the more understated rounded designs of the 90s. But all these are totally different from the rectangular, polygonal designs of the 80s. More changed between the 80s and 90s than between the 2000s and today. You used to have all these mad prototypes looking like sci-fi back in the 70s/80s while still trying to work around the limits of the combustion engine. Now you really have sci-fi cars and we stick fake grills on them.

The entire post-war 20th century was leading up to "the future", the coming year 2000. But since 9/11 things seem to have got stuck at least when it comes to cultural development unrelated to digital. Anything new (like, say Vaporwave) revisits something from the past.
There was an excellent interview article with Mark Fisher on this idea from about 2010, as it particularly relates to the UK club scene and dance music history. (I'm ashamed I can't find it though, if anyone has it, please post a link.)
Ever since reading it the idea has stuck with me and has proven universally applicable. No one seems to be making the X "of the future" anymore. Smartphones are still Smartphones. While commuting, I have noticed all the new trains don't really look any different. Architecture and Interior Design has gone back to the same old modernist Bauhaus shit. Have we all stopped trying? And just opted to instead get involved with vapid political bullshit? Can't we think of anything new for once? Can I think of anything new? Not really. Was there just so much change since WW1 that we have simply run out of steam? Maybe.

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
He really should have ended that series at episode #100. I know some of his best episodes were released after, but #100 was a good ending to the whole thing as the Nerd realizes the games are part of his life and even the worst have charms all their own. Later seasons, especially after the movie, just went more and more downhill into the pit of mediocrity. He clearly considers it a job now, not a passion. But hey, it's better than bagging groceries or working in a call center, right?
The series is definitely past its prime, but I'd argue it's better now than it has been in probably a decade or more. At one point he was a part of a multichannel network and there's some evidence that they were contractually dictating his content. Once he realized his mistake and allowed their agreement to expire, the quality of AVGN and his other stuff immediately went up. It didn't go back to like 2007 standards, but it did increase.

Here's a two hour video essay, if you're into that sort of thing. The history of Cinemassacre and the ebb and flow of fan opinions about James is a pretty fascinating piece of internet history.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
No one seems to be making the X "of the future" anymore.
This is pretty much a direct result of aging demographics. The average age of a person living in the western world today is substantially higher than it was 20 years ago or more, because people live longer AND have fewer kids than at any other point in history. This means that society is generally tailored more towards people who are less concerned about what the world will look like 40 years from now, instead caring more about what it'll look like in the next 5 years. The only way for this trend to reverse is for birth rates to rise, and even then it would require that next baby-boom generation to come to maturity before they could enact any sort of forward looking ideology. So basically it either won't happen in our lifetimes, or we'll be so old that it essentially won't matter to us anyways.

Virtual Cafe Awards

NSoph

The Singularity is Now
Reaction score
Awards
Yesterday was one day ago. "Remember X celebrity? This is him now!" You all sound like a bunch of seniors. At least wait until you have grey hair. Until then, quit pretending you already have one foot in the grave.
I know this near 60 year old short Roma Gypsy fellow with more vitality than most zoomers I know. He goes jogging every day, a bundle of energy and a joy to be around, seemingly untouched by all the bullshit everyone is caught up in. Grew up in terrible conditions, I'd say he's counteracting all of the bad things done to him when he was young by now doing good to others. I want to be like that when I'm old.

Now how much has changed between 1985 and 2004 versus 2004 and today? Not just in video games. Although still worth mentioning: Could have anyone at the time of the realease of Super Mario Bros on NES predicted Half Life 2? I don't think so. But someone in 2004 Half Life Alyx? Yes, the change was still big, massive improvements in graphics, physics etc. but compared to the jump between 8-bit 2d sprites and the Source engine, it is nothing. It is better, but nothing has really changed.
Or look at cars: They still follow that big grill, angry, constipated-face design philosophy they already had back in the early 2000s, after having departed from the more understated rounded designs of the 90s. But all these are totally different from the rectangular, polygonal designs of the 80s. More changed between the 80s and 90s than between the 2000s and today. You used to have all these mad prototypes looking like sci-fi back in the 70s/80s while still trying to work around the limits of the combustion engine. Now you really have sci-fi cars and we stick fake grills on them.

The entire post-war 20th century was leading up to "the future", the coming year 2000. But since 9/11 things seem to have got stuck at least when it comes to cultural development unrelated to digital. Anything new (like, say Vaporwave) revisits something from the past.
There was an excellent interview article with Mark Fisher on this idea from about 2010, as it particularly relates to the UK club scene and dance music history. (I'm ashamed I can't find it though, if anyone has it, please post a link.)
Ever since reading it the idea has stuck with me and has proven universally applicable. No one seems to be making the X "of the future" anymore. Smartphones are still Smartphones. While commuting, I have noticed all the new trains don't really look any different. Architecture and Interior Design has gone back to the same old modernist Bauhaus shit. Have we all stopped trying? And just opted to instead get involved with vapid political bullshit? Can't we think of anything new for once? Can I think of anything new? Not really. Was there just so much change since WW1 that we have simply run out of steam? Maybe.
Mark Fisher probably referenced "hauntology" right? That the spirits of the past haunt us forever, remakes and sequels and remixes, it never dies, it just gets more deformed. Culture is undead. We are in the eternal 2000`s. the decade and century of the silicon valley techbro. T-shirt and jeans are the forever fashion, rap, post-grunge, everything is "indie" but sounds the same, there is no real edge, musicians """shock""" the world with hypersexuality, but not really. I have not heard Shygirl, Coucou Chloe, Zheani, Cobrah etc, all extremely lukewarm.
Song related is peak hauntology to me.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8wdVF88NHA

The weeknd and ellie goulding can also shove it up their ass for polluting search results (even though they did not copy the sound)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpq35wyDi7I

Virtual Cafe Awards