Fuck Aesthetic

• Thread starter Deleted member 2006
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 8517 times.

My favourite Cool Swim song!

I agree though, seeing these weird mixtures of vaporwave, Simpsonwave, and lo-fi rgb vhs aesthetics has made the perception of vaporwave extremely confusing the past few years. I can understand how people lost track of vaporwave because of this.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
i ducking hate it
私は認めます、アニメは蒸気波に属していません。ヴェイパーウェイヴはアメリカの発明であり、アニメとは何の関係もありません。サイバーパンクはちょっと手に入るけど、アニメとヴェイパーウェイヴの関係が見当たらない

Virtual Cafe Awards
Just consume the media that you enjoy and ignore the media you don't, right?

I'm personally not an anime person but people mixing the "vaporwave aesthetic" with anime doesn't ruin vaporwave for me. How has it ruined it for you?

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
Just consume the media that you enjoy and ignore the media you don't, right?

I'm personally not an anime person but people mixing the "vaporwave aesthetic" with anime doesn't ruin vaporwave for me. How has it ruined it for you?
審美的に、それは適合しません。あなたがあなたのチューブでループした未来のファンクビデオを数えない限り、アニメを組み込んだ蒸気波のサブジャンルはありません。

アニメの蒸気波への流入は、実際には比較的新しい開発です。ヴェイパーウェイヴの黄金時代には、アニメが音楽に登場するヴェイパーウェイヴプロデューサーを見つけるのは難しいでしょう。日本語の曲や任天堂のゲームをベースにした曲を見つけるかもしれませんが、当時のアニメの曲はほとんどなく、蒸気波の定義を理解しやすくしていました。

蒸気波が人々にとても魅力的である主な理由は、それがそれ自体で立っていて、他のものと混合する必要がないということです。純粋な蒸気波が持ちこたえる

Virtual Cafe Awards
審美的に、それは適合しません。あなたがあなたのチューブでループした未来のファンクビデオを数えない限り、アニメを組み込んだ蒸気波のサブジャンルはありません。

アニメの蒸気波への流入は、実際には比較的新しい開発です。ヴェイパーウェイヴの黄金時代には、アニメが音楽に登場するヴェイパーウェイヴプロデューサーを見つけるのは難しいでしょう。日本語の曲や任天堂のゲームをベースにした曲を見つけるかもしれませんが、当時のアニメの曲はほとんどなく、蒸気波の定義を理解しやすくしていました。

蒸気波が人々にとても魅力的である主な理由は、それがそれ自体で立っていて、他のものと混合する必要がないということです。純粋な蒸気波が持ちこたえる
See, I don't like the gatekeeping attitude with this.

Macintosh Plus had one of the largest (if not the largest) vapor hits. You point out that it's an "American" genre, yet Floral Shoppe doesn't have a single track title in English. Hell, you're posting in Japanese right now. So, the Japanese aesthetic is okay, but one of Japan's largest exports (anime) is off limits?

Lupin the 3rd, Cowboy Bebop, and Ghost in the Shell were massive parts of my life during same time that malls were still thriving and Sega was running those big in-your-face "Sega!" advertisements. I started with Windows 95, then 98, 98 SE, ME, etc. and I loved the "aesthetic" that Macintoshes had to offer even if I never owned one. Vapor has always been about nostalgia for me, though I can slightly empathize with the viewpoint that vapor inherently has anti-consumerist roots. All of this said, why is anime off-limits but other pieces of the "east Asia aesthetic" aren't? If we're going to put vapor into this neat little box with all these rules, maybe it is true that vapor is dead. (sidenote: even if vapor is all about consumerism, anime actually fits with this perfectly. Some people's entire lives revolve around watching 2D characters on a screen. And the fandoms...and the claw machines! Anime is a consumerist goldmine, as far as I can tell)

To me, and you're welcome to disagree, "vaporwave" is a bit of an umbrella term much like "industrial." Industrial encompasses such a vast array of music with similar qualities, right? Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, or we can go back to Kraftwerk or Depeche Mode or Gary Numan or whoever. There's some obvious differences between these bands and they certainly slot into different subgenres of industrial, but they're all industrial at the end of the day. Then The Gothsicles comes along with the album NESferatu. Some of the current/former members of the group include Brian "darkNES" Graupner, Matt "Sega Lugosi" Fanale, and Dan "Turbo Gothic 16" Clark. But you wouldn't say, "well you can't find any early industrial with the 'video game' aesthetic, so therefore The Gothsicles are not industrial," would you? Maybe you would say, "I don't like this video game industrial aesthetic or whatever it's called," and that's okay! No one is forcing you to enjoy or even consume this art. But to come at it from a gatekeeping perspective and say, "that's not real industrial!" is a fruitless endeavor. They're going to keep mixing the aesthetic that they enjoy with the music genre that they enjoy, and they're going to create interesting art and a unique aesthetic in the process. Maybe neither you nor I will enjoy this art nor this "unique aesthetic," but that doesn't make it any less valid, in my opinion.

Hope that makes my position clear. Maybe you define vaporwave as a much more specific genre than I do so we'll have some friendly disagreement there, but I'm happy to listen to your opinion on the matter.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

See, I don't like the gatekeeping attitude with this.

Macintosh Plus had one of the largest (if not the largest) vapor hits. You point out that it's an "American" genre, yet Floral Shoppe doesn't have a single title track in English. Hell, you're posting in Japanese right now. So, the Japanese aesthetic is okay, but one of Japan's largest exports (anime) is off limits?

Lupin the 3rd, Cowboy Bebop, and Ghost in the Shell were massive parts of my life during same time that malls were still thriving and Sega was running those big in-your-face "Sega!" advertisements. I started with Windows 95, then 98, 98 SE, ME, etc. and I loved the "aesthetic" that Macintoshes had to offer even if I never owned one. Vapor has always been about nostalgia for me, though I can slightly empathize with the viewpoint that vapor inherently has anti-consumerist roots. All of this said, why is anime off-limits but other pieces of the "east Asia aesthetic" aren't? If we're going to put vapor into this neat little box with all these rules, maybe it is true that vapor is dead. (sidenote: even if vapor is all about consumerism, anime actually fits with this perfectly. Some people's entire lives revolve around watching 2D characters on a screen. And the fandoms...and the claw machines! Anime is a consumerist goldmine, as far as I can tell)

To me, and you're welcome to disagree, "vaporwave" is a bit of an umbrella term much like "industrial." Industrial encompasses such a vast array of music with similar qualities, right? Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, or we can go back to Kraftwerk or Depeche Mode or Gary Numan or whoever. There's some obvious differences between these bands and they certainly slot into different subgenres of industrial, but they're all industrial at the end of the day. Then The Gothsicles comes along with the album NESferatu. Some of the current/former members of the group include Brian "darkNES" Graupner, Matt "Sega Lugosi" Fanale, and Dan "Turbo Gothic 16" Clark. But you wouldn't say, "well you can't find any early industrial with the 'video game' aesthetic, so therefore The Gothsicles are not industrial," would you? Maybe you would say, "I don't like this video game industrial aesthetic or whatever it's called," and that's okay! No one is forcing you to enjoy or even consume this art. But to come at it from a gatekeeping perspective and say, "that's not real industrial!" is a fruitless endeavor. They're going to keep mixing the aesthetic that they enjoy with the music genre that they enjoy, and they're going to create interesting art and a unique aesthetic in the process. Maybe neither you nor I will enjoy this art nor this "unique aesthetic," but that doesn't make it any less valid, in my opinion.

Hope that makes my position clear. Maybe you define vaporwave as a much more specific genre that I do so we'll have some friendly disagreement there, but I'm happy to listen to your opinion on the matter.
I'm very impressed with your comment and your open mindedness in terms of this trend of gatekeeping. In my experience it pops up in a lot of the arts, and is often a major reason why some fields are labeled as 'elitist', when in the end sometimes art (as an umbrella term encapsulating literature, music, visual arts, theatre, architecture etc (but even these can not be artistic when other factors influence the production, but that's a whole different conversation)) is simply mean to be enjoyed and taken as is!

Consumers, compared to those who creators, tend to get a bit closed minded and gravitate towards their 'pure' art or field, and thus end up stagnating the possibilities of what it could achieve. But of course this too is relative, there are both on each side.

Sometimes Art doesn't have to be this incredibly profound deep experience, sometimes we don't need to have a book be like Joyce's Ulysses to be considered a great book, sometimes we like what we like! I feel like your attitude among people in such a niche field is the best way and the only way the content can persist and evolve. I say nay to the naysayers and yes to the new!

Deleted member 2040

1st i hate anime,2nd anime has nothing to do with vaporwave and ruins its vibes.
sad girl GIF

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
im going to make your face a fucking jack pollock painting and ass rape your notifications if you post 1 more anime gif.
Stay mad, I love anime.
kawaii cute anime GIF

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards