Do you care about owning your space on the web?

Boxerdog

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
You rewriting history doesnt help either.

You can't just say that and not provide the examples and the correct version of it, wtf?
Real easy to just say it and not back it up.

I don't know why you keep bringing up e-celebs and fame too when I was just suggesting using someone else's site as a venue for your interests/expression because it saves time, money and effort.

You most certainly did not.
If you want to reach many people for whatever reason (show them you art, propagate your politics, ask for help, seek like minded people in a large group and many more) a personal website can't beat the big sites and it's not even a matter of convenience since it isn't a matter of effort to reach that many people online with your own site. Can't just amass the same amount of regular visitors as rëddit with just diligence.

The positive feedback wasn't part of my argument. You can make weird, niche art or have fringe political takes but going on a big site means that you get a huge pool of potential interaction to build an audience to begin with. Even if just 1 out of 1000 stays that's better chances than what you'd get by self hosting.

How would you even gauge the quality of a view? Someone who silently views something is usually only expressed by an integer increasing. If that's on >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk or on your website. Sounds like you want just a circle jerk of hipsters that huff their own farts for fun.

You said that you want to reach a bigger audience, and I said that If you post x on something like reeddit you will reach a bigger audience, but it would be a lower quality audience than the ones that would organically reach it in your website. Then you posted an image where everybody has the same thought bubble despite arguing that people aren't alike.

Please do not try to rewrite history.

In your boomer train scenario the self hosted forum has a substantially bigger audience than a facebook group(which tends to be the more personal form of social media), reeddit has an even bigger model train community, but the difference between the 2 is that reeddit is people just showing off their toys(like social media) and begginers asking questions.
It has no form of actual discussion on the hobby and the culture surrounding it, which its fine for what it is, just that what it its its lower quality than the forum.

You don't seem to understand that being e-famous and hosting your own website are 2 different things and are not mutually exclusive.

I am still wanting for you to define right people, Show me a subculture that developed in a corporate non hosted site, explain to me how before big social media people found others personal website and how big websites became know back in the day and why people who are part of an specific subculture would not prefer to have a space that its not tailored to their own specific cultural world view, instead of posting on reeddit for example.

And you don't seem to understand:lainDance: that Its ok for you to want to reach an bigger audience by watering down your product, you do not have to appeal to a specific group of people within a sub culture if you just want to reach an bigger audience, the only reason why would would want to do that its to cultivate and expand said culture that you and your art/product its a part of.

If you don't want to have that effort that is fine, nobody its forcing you.

If you want to reach the world, it would be pretty hard if all you did was have a model train website, if you really want to be e-famous, just make(or pay someone to) make crazy rollercoaster style train city things and post 10 second videos on reeddit, youtube shorts and what not, I guarantee you will get a lot of views. Are all those views quality views? No, it would be mostly children, junkies, people that do not care about model trains in the slightest, but you will reach the bigger audience you wanted.
Its watered down enough to reach those people. Its everything that makes model trains cool but without having to participate in the culture that comes behind it.
You would love this tv show named big bang theory, now that, that show had a lots of views.

Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
oh my fuck, i cant even tell what you guys are trying to say anymore. this argument has devolved into such needless nitpicking that the original point was lost and you just cant let go. at this point it's completely pointless to try to argue anything bc it's so far removed from what you're trying to say

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
oh my fuck, i cant even tell what you guys are trying to say anymore. this argument has devolved into such needless nitpicking that the original point was lost and you just cant let go. at this point it's completely pointless to try to argue anything bc it's so far removed from what you're trying to say
This. He's not arguing in good faith anymore either, twisting words and misinterpreting for the sake of it anyway.
You can't just say that and not provide the examples and the correct version of it, wtf?
Real easy to just say it and not back it up.

You most certainly did not.

You said that you want to reach a bigger audience, and I said that If you post x on something like reeddit you will reach a bigger audience, but it would be a lower quality audience than the ones that would organically reach it in your website. Then you posted an image where everybody has the same thought bubble despite arguing that people aren't alike.

Please do not try to rewrite history.

In your boomer train scenario the self hosted forum has a substantially bigger audience than a facebook group(which tends to be the more personal form of social media), reeddit has an even bigger model train community, but the difference between the 2 is that reeddit is people just showing off their toys(like social media) and begginers asking questions.
It has no form of actual discussion on the hobby and the culture surrounding it, which its fine for what it is, just that what it its its lower quality than the forum.

You don't seem to understand that being e-famous and hosting your own website are 2 different things and are not mutually exclusive.

I am still wanting for you to define right people, Show me a subculture that developed in a corporate non hosted site, explain to me how before big social media people found others personal website and how big websites became know back in the day and why people who are part of an specific subculture would not prefer to have a space that its not tailored to their own specific cultural world view, instead of posting on reeddit for example.

And you don't seem to understand:lainDance: that Its ok for you to want to reach an bigger audience by watering down your product, you do not have to appeal to a specific group of people within a sub culture if you just want to reach an bigger audience, the only reason why would would want to do that its to cultivate and expand said culture that you and your art/product its a part of.

If you don't want to have that effort that is fine, nobody its forcing you.

If you want to reach the world, it would be pretty hard if all you did was have a model train website, if you really want to be e-famous, just make(or pay someone to) make crazy rollercoaster style train city things and post 10 second videos on reeddit, youtube shorts and what not, I guarantee you will get a lot of views. Are all those views quality views? No, it would be mostly children, junkies, people that do not care about model trains in the slightest, but you will reach the bigger audience you wanted.
Its watered down enough to reach those people. Its everything that makes model trains cool but without having to participate in the culture that comes behind it.
You would love this tv show named big bang theory, now that, that show had a lots of views.
Many words with little meaning, forcing me to either repeat myself over and over again or forcing me to say: "I did not even say that again". You can just reread my older posts ITT again.
I also think that your disdain for the average person and big sites makes you talk about things you didn't spend a lot of time with so you try to construct an outsider's narrative to feel superior. The big bang theory comment just being the cherry on top. This has nothing to do with my original argument of pragmatism anymore.
I remain unconvinced that self hosting is the universally superior option or that whatever you self host is always of higher quality since passion and dedication is in all kinds of people and only a fraction of those are in the tech bubble so that they would self host. Then. again, me just not hating most people has probably something to do with that. If you come from arrogance and false superiority, your version of the world surely makes sense.

Virtual Cafe Awards

shinobu

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Awards
Where I live I can either buy the cheap domains from my country, but my full name and ID would be made public to anyone who cares to look, or buy an expensive domain and pay in US dollars (a big no-no considering the current economic situation in my country)
So I care a little bit, but not enough to pay for the hosting.

Still, I have a personal website that I keep locally as a bunch of HTML/CSS/JS files and images. It's rad but I keep it to myself for now. One day I may host it somewhere.

Virtual Cafe Awards

aYEOEt41yr

xVbllJFFVs
Reaction score
Awards
I got a little tired of the direction of social media so I recently left any traditional sites a few weeks ago to see what it's like being a limited user of the net again

Virtual Cafe Awards

Boxerdog

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Many words with little meaning, forcing me to either repeat myself over and over again or forcing me to say: "I did not even say that again". You can just reread my older posts ITT again.
If you think that words though a glowing screen are "forcing" you to do anything then you have bigger problems than website hosting, calm down.
Wtf lol
I also think that your disdain for the average person
Can you quote where I said I disdain the average person or is that something you came up in your head?

This is not forcing you to do it, just politely asking because I am really confused where that came from.
The average person could be literally anybody, but if you're really into extreme skyscraper parkour you would extreme skyscraper parkour resources to come from a extreme skyscraper parkour website where only extreme skyscraper parkour people frequent, The model train guy opinion means nothing in the realm of extreme skyscraper parkour and and yours means nothing in the model train realm.
Both of those are an average person, just into different things.

I don't disdain them wtf, tism?(Legit Question).

This has nothing to do with my original argument of pragmatism anymore.

Is is pragmatic to not have an website if you want to reach a big audience? = yes
Its posting on "big website" getting you quality Engagement for your project? = no

I cannot make it more simple than that.

I remain unconvinced that self hosting is the universally superior option or that whatever you self host is always of higher quality since passion and dedication is in all kinds of people and only a fraction of those are in the tech bubble so that they would self host.

Hosting a website has never been easier, I have no idea why you think that you have to be some Unix ogre to run a website, every random e-girl has one(god bless them).

Also I don't need to convince you this is on a public website you already said that you don't want to have to put in the (minimal) effort to host your own website, but this is a thread about owning your own space on the web, people can read the posts for themselves and figure it out.

Then. again, me just not hating most people has probably something to do with that. If you come from arrogance and false superiority, your version of the world surely makes sense.

Wat

Internet psychoanalysis time, this just in boxerdog hates most people, Andy kaufman said It!11!1!!
WTF lol.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
If you think that words though a glowing screen are "forcing" you to do anything then you have bigger problems than website hosting, calm down.
Wtf lol
Figure of speech...
Can you quote where I said I disdain the average person or is that something you came up in your head?
When you call the majority of internet users junkies or their views "low" quality, it just appears that way.
Is is pragmatic to not have an website if you want to reach a big audience? = yes
Its posting on "big website" getting you quality Engagement for your project? = no
But that's where you are wrong. You still get quality engagement. It's not mutually exclusive.
Hosting a website has never been easier, I have no idea why you think that you have to be some Unix ogre to run a website, every random e-girl has one(god bless them).
Still way too much effort and costs for most purposes if an existing site or subreddit already exists.
Wat
Internet psychoanalysis time, this just in boxerdog hates most people, Andy kaufman said It!11!1!!
WTF lol.
You certainly think less of them.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Boxerdog

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
When you call the majority of internet users junkies or their views "low" quality, it just appears that way.
The majority of people on internet do not participate into extreme skyscraping parkour when, they post "wooow so dangerous these guys are idiots" or "wowww thats so cool these guys are awesome" It Means nothing to the they don't know, not that they can't know, they can if they did said activity, but they don't. Therefore low quality. While in a dedicated website some guy would be discussing with you the best way of doing a double backflip between 30ft drops because he is part of it and that discussion will directly contribute to the extreme skyscraping parkour community. Therefore quality. The same guy posting on a big website about how cool and rad this downhill skatebaording clip is would be low quality, even though they are the same person, just into their own things.
Its not the majority of internet users, everybody its low quality pertaining to something, including me and you, you can't do everything and be proficient and well knowledged in everything at the same time. The only people who think that are people that do nothing and aren't a part of anything.

I don't know how to put it in more simple way.

And yes e-junkies, worldwide ~26% of people are online constantly, we already went over this psoted the data yadda yadda.
But that's where you are wrong. You still get quality engagement. It's not mutually exclusive.
It could be yes, There is Gold in manure, but its mostly shit, and you're willingly going head deep on it. Which its fine but chances are you're just wallowing in shit.
I am just showing you a better option, if you want to play with cowpoop that's on you. If you do it you will get a lot of views.

Still way too much effort and costs for most purposes if an existing site or subreddit already exists.

It costs less than 50$ and you click a couple buttons, it takes 15 mins to set up a simple wordpress website. If that is too much effort I don't know what to tell you.

You certainly think less of them.
I don't and I told you to quote it where you came up with that or did you hallucinated it, maybe I should've "forced" you to quote instead.

Edit:
1684822653866.png

I just saw you made this post, ok you got me this is bait, either that or you have Disassociative disorder.

Why can't you share it with us the average person bro? WTF lol

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Costanza
Reactions: UCD

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
The majority of people on internet do not participate into extreme skyscraping parkour when, they post "wooow so dangerous these guys are idiots" or "wowww thats so cool these guys are awesome" It Means nothing to the they don't know, not that they can't know, they can if they did said activity, but they don't. Therefore low quality. While in a dedicated website some guy would be discussing with you the best way of doing a double backflip between 30ft drops because he is part of it and that discussion will directly contribute to the extreme skyscraping parkour community. Therefore quality. The same guy posting on a big website about how cool and rad this downhill skatebaording clip is would be low quality, even though they are the same person, just into their own things.
Its not the majority of internet users, everybody its low quality pertaining to something, including me and you, you can't do everything and be proficient and well knowledged in everything at the same time. The only people who think that are people that do nothing and aren't a part of anything.
Ok! I can agree with that sentiment of "low quality", I might have just misunderstood the wording. I still have to disagree with you on the point that it needs a dedicated website. On smaller subreddits you find the same and the big ruckus from onlookers doesn't even find themselves there, yet the subreddit is very accessible and completely suffices for most discussions. You can post images, videos and comment on them and many dedicated people gather there. Depending on the project/subject matter, subreddits are hosting the most talented and knowledgable people of that sphere.
It could be yes, There is Gold in manure, but its mostly shit, and you're willingly going head deep on it. Which its fine but chances are you're just wallowing in shit.
I am just showing you a better option, if you want to play with cowpoop that's on you. If you do it you will get a lot of views.
Not from my personal experience. I found niche interest groups on YT, facebook and even twitter. Even though I've had my twitter account for only 4 months, I found people there that I chat with to this day about certain things and their community there is still strong. Bubbles form quickly on these big sites and not everything is always visited constantly by everyone else. Casting a big net like this for niche interests usually means that you just get more people who either already are deep into it or are beginners who are really looking to get into it. Outsiders and bothersome people just don't find themselves in niche interest groups, be it on big or small sites. On big sites you just have the advantage of having ease of access and visibility.

It costs less than 50$ and you click a couple buttons, it takes 15 mins to set up a simple wordpress website. If that is too much effort I don't know what to tell you.
Still too much depending on what you post. If you want to discuss like we do right now, it's better to just use a space where people already congregate. Even all the enthusiasts will gather in one place instead of everyone making their own. Maybe we can call this "self hosting" as in the community self hosts, then I could get behind it. But everyone just making their own site and sitting on their isolated islands hoping everyone else leaves their own is silly for many reasons.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Boxerdog

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Now its my internet Psychoanalysis time.

This will probably be my last one because I suspect you have a form of Schizophrenia or is in the autism spectrum, no normal person would blatantly have conflicting view points all the time without a DID.
Its like that meme where the girl argued with the guy for hours about how good orange juice was but the guy was a piss fetishist and enjoyed drinking piss.
We are unfortunately not in the same plane of existance. I leave the the posts out there for people that stumble on this thread, they can make their own minds for themselves.

Ok! I can agree with that sentiment of "low quality", I might have just misunderstood the wording. I still have to disagree with you on the point that it needs a dedicated website. On smaller subreddits you find the same and the big ruckus from onlookers doesn't even find themselves there, yet the subreddit is very accessible and completely suffices for most discussions. You can post images, videos and comment on them and many dedicated people gather there. Depending on the project/subject matter, subreddits are hosting the most talented and knowledgable people of that sphere.
Not from my personal experience. I found niche interest groups on YT, facebook and even twitter. Even though I've had my twitter account for only 4 months, I found people there that I chat with to this day about certain things and their community there is still strong. Bubbles form quickly on these big sites and not everything is always visited constantly by everyone else. Casting a big net like this for niche interests usually means that you just get more people who either already are deep into it or are beginners who are really looking to get into it. Outsiders and bothersome people just don't find themselves in niche interest groups, be it on big or small sites. On big sites you just have the advantage of having ease of access and visibility.

You are under their rules and terms and your so called culture its owned and shaped by their regulations instead of organically forming, the real culture its IRL the internet its just there to facillitate it.

They can nuke you at any time and mold your culture to fit their thing.

If you want to be an e-celeb and don't care go for it.

Still too much depending on what you post. If you want to discuss like we do right now, it's better to just use a space where people already congregate. Even all the enthusiasts will gather in one place instead of everyone making their own. Maybe we can call this "self hosting" as in the community self hosts, then I could get behind it. But everyone just making their own site and sitting on their isolated islands hoping everyone else leaves their own is silly for many reasons.

Thats how the internet was for the longest time, all of those sites aren't isolated, they are connected culturally, though webrings, and IRL.

If you have no IRL friends and no cultural ties to anything that is a personal problem. The internet its not real.

Below its a list of the questions you haven't answered and just skipped though, please do not reply to me until you have answered these questions at least in your own head, it might make you understand it better and you might even not need to reply at all. We can just agree to disagree.

Define right people.
You don't think that a majority of people have their social media being a core part of their lifestyle?
How many people work 9-5 go home and just watch youtube as their daily activity then repeat?
I kinda anwsered this one when i posted the data. *hint *hint*

You have a forum about your local cooking scene in 2004 how do other people know about it other that you telling them? How do other people reach your forum?
They did it by being part of the same culture *wink *wink*
What big subculture(and most importantly the things they are know of) fcame from a big website that the average person in real life would have a chance of knowing of?
I cannot believe you didn't say vaporwave that was an easy layup.

Funny thing me and workmates did while avoiding work hours.

1684881598230.png

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

h00

message is what matters
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
h00.neocities.org
We are unfortunately not in the same plane of existance.
I suspect you have a form of Schizophrenia or is in the autism spectrum
Its like that meme
Below its a list of the questions you haven't answered and just skipped though, please do not reply to me until you have answered
you got me this is bait, either that or you have Disassociative disorder.
Now its my internet Psychoanalysis time:
1684883420754.png

Virtual Cafe Awards
easy.
make tumblr/whatever crap
link pic of it on pinterest.
make google site, link your tumblr/x + pinterest there.
on pinterest, post "broken" link to yours/tumblr(/x)

graph:
1684886743586.png

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Now its my internet Psychoanalysis time.

This will probably be my last one because I suspect you have a form of Schizophrenia or is in the autism spectrum, no normal person would blatantly have conflicting view points all the time without a DID.
Its like that meme where the girl argued with the guy for hours about how good orange juice was but the guy was a piss fetishist and enjoyed drinking piss.
We are unfortunately not in the same plane of existance. I leave the the posts out there for people that stumble on this thread, they can make their own minds for themselves.

You are under their rules and terms and your so called culture its owned and shaped by their regulations instead of organically forming, the real culture its IRL the internet its just there to facillitate it.

They can nuke you at any time and mold your culture to fit their thing.

If you want to be an e-celeb and don't care go for it.

Thats how the internet was for the longest time, all of those sites aren't isolated, they are connected culturally, though webrings, and IRL.

If you have no IRL friends and no cultural ties to anything that is a personal problem. The internet its not real.

Below its a list of the questions you haven't answered and just skipped though, please do not reply to me until you have answered these questions at least in your own head, it might make you understand it better and you might even not need to reply at all. We can just agree to disagree.

I kinda anwsered this one when i posted the data. *hint *hint*

They did it by being part of the same culture *wink *wink*

I cannot believe you didn't say vaporwave that was an easy layup.

Funny thing me and workmates did while avoiding work hours.

View attachment 62680
here I was hoping we might find a compromise somewhere after I made some concessions last post and he goes out and posts something like this :LaughHard:
I'm speechless. You won, buddy!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
easy.
make tumblr/whatever crap
link pic of it on pinterest.
make google site, link your tumblr/x + pinterest there.
on pinterest, post "broken" link to yours/tumblr(/x)

graph:
View attachment 62689
I still don't understand what Pinterest actually is or does, just that whenever I use google image search it dominates the results and always wants me to make an account. It just looks like they rehost images from everywhere else and then bury the sources under themselves in the search results to gain like an image hosting monopoly.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Boxerdog

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
here I was hoping we might find a compromise somewhere after I made some concessions last post and he goes out and posts something like this :LaughHard:
I'm speechless. You won, buddy!

What I got from it is that you want to reach big audience for x and pull from a bigger pull while sacrificing control over it and saving money(?) while I think its better to keep it in the culture even if you're not going to reach as much and give more creative freedom to whoever its part of it.

Hoo is right, its braindead to try to argue at such a base point, we can agree to disagree.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
What I got from it is that you want to reach big audience for x and pull from a bigger pull while sacrificing control over it and saving money(?) while I think its better to keep it in the culture even if you're not going to reach as much and give more creative freedom to whoever its part of it.

Hoo is right, its braindead to try to argue at such a base point, we can agree to disagree.
I really don't want anything. I have 0 aspirations in that department, I was merely playing devil's advocate on behalf of those people that don't self host for pragmatic reasons.
If we take your skydiving example: you don't NEED all the creative tools of a personal website to create an online gathering spot for people who wanna talk about skydiving. It's overkill and just not the right tool for the job. And even if you make a fancy dedicated skydiving forum instead of just using a subreddit or group on a big site, you would still congregate the skydiving community in a central place instead of every skydiver making their own website to blog about their hobby. A passionate skydiver can just make a post there now and then, sharing vids/pics and his experiences and the others can comment and discuss. Done. No algorithm and no censorship community guideline trash inhibits that in any way or form. And if an aspiring skydiver wants to look for input/help or share first time experiences and isn't very deep into alternative net culture he's just gonna find the places on the big sites first through google (i.e. reach) or the algorithm might even suggest it based on his past searches because google is gonna know anyway that he bought all the skydiving gear and accessories.

[EDIT: The funny thing is: the more a hobby is disconnected from internet/tech stuff, the more likely it is that someone knees deep into it wouldn't give a shit about self hosting anyway. These people percieve the internet in a completely different way and see it as a tool at best and so they'd just use what's easiest and cheapest. Personal anecdote: a BJJ black belt from my gym does a podcast about the sport. He just uploads it to Spotify and shares the link on his Instagram and Whatsapp groups because that's where the majoity of the BJJ community IS in my country. If I went to him and told him he'd be better off hosting the podcast on his personal website he'd laugh at my face lol. And does he get any "low quality engagement" from this? Fuck no. only people into BJJ even get recommended the hashtags in question and those usually aren't deep into alternative web shit. He reaches exactly the audience he wants with minimal effort and cost on his part and his expression isn't any less valuable because it's hosted elsewhere and the comments are from people who fight in tourneys and just practice the sport]

That's the entire point. For many applications you can just use existing infrastructure and all that creative freedom of a personal website just doesn't fucking matter for so many avenues of human expression and passions. As long as they can share vids/pics/songs and text and have all that in a roughly organized structure. I don't see how this is in any way contradictory or hard to grasp or how this warrants a shizo diagnosis.

The best thing is that it doesn't even invalidate your position as I said that this applies to SOME(!) spheres. Anyone passionate about old time internet, web dev or digital art would benefit a very great deal from self hosting. But a skydiver wouldn't. That's the point. I really don't want to add anything else, if you disagree with any of this, fine then you just don't see it that way but I just don't find my position to be that outlandish.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Boxerdog

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I really don't want anything. I have 0 aspirations in that department, I was merely playing devil's advocate on behalf of those people that don't self host for pragmatic reasons.
If we take your skydiving example: you don't NEED all the creative tools of a personal website to create an online gathering spot for people who wanna talk about skydiving. It's overkill and just not the right tool for the job. And even if you make a fancy dedicated skydiving forum instead of just using a subreddit or group on a big site, you would still congregate the skydiving community in a central place instead of every skydiver making their own website to blog about their hobby. A passionate skydiver can just make a post there now and then, sharing vids/pics and his experiences and the others can comment and discuss. Done. No algorithm and no censorship community guideline trash inhibits that in any way or form. And if an aspiring skydiver wants to look for input/help or share first time experiences and isn't very deep into alternative net culture he's just gonna find the places on the big sites first through google (i.e. reach) or the algorithm might even suggest it based on his past searches because google is gonna know anyway that he bought all the skydiving gear and accessories.

This is correct that is why I said any interaction worth a damn would be IRL, there are skydiving websites where people in the culture discuss the finer points, but for meeting up or using social media you don't need a website no.
If I a non-skydiver look up skydiving websites on google I get local places to dive and the dropzone forums, the subreeddit its on the 3rd page.

I still stand that people that are into something rather have a place where its owned, operated and regulated by those who share their subculture instead of an 3rd party, despite that meaning that their subculture will have less appeal and reach in the long run. Many subcultures have lived and died on this hill way before the internet.

I think we have different view points about what belonging to a subculture means. Which its fine.
[EDIT: The funny thing is: the more a hobby is disconnected from internet/tech stuff, the more likely it is that someone knees deep into it wouldn't give a shit about self hosting anyway. These people percieve the internet in a completely different way and see it as a tool at best and so they'd just use what's easiest and cheapest. Personal anecdote: a BJJ black belt from my gym does a podcast about the sport. He just uploads it to Spotify and shares the link on his Instagram and Whatsapp groups because that's where the majoity of the BJJ community IS in my country. If I went to him and told him he'd be better off hosting the podcast on his personal website he'd laugh at my face lol. And does he get any "low quality engagement" from this? Fuck no. only people into BJJ even get recommended the hashtags in question and those usually aren't deep into alternative web shit. He reaches exactly the audience he wants with minimal effort and cost on his part and his expression isn't any less valuable because it's hosted elsewhere and the comments are from people who fight in tourneys and just practice the sport]

This is a good point, However he is bound to spotify rules instagram and whatsapp rules, He probably wont get nuked, but it its a possibilty, people have been nuked of platforms for the most randoms of things, When you host your own website you are not just doing it to be cool(although it would be cool), you are also buying freedom, spotify can't tell you to tone it down on the gracie criticism, you own your platform.

You are correct the average person doesn't care and likes the convenience, but it also wouldn't be the end of the world to do the exact same thing but link his website instead, and since you own it you can also make money from it too.

That's the entire point. For many applications you can just use existing infrastructure and all that creative freedom of a personal website just doesn't fucking matter for so many avenues of human expression and passions. As long as they can share vids/pics/songs and text and have all that in a roughly organized structure.
That its exactly what I meant when I said:

Being e-famous =/= hosting your own website

Just that I think its beneficial to have both.

I don't see how this is in any way contradictory or hard to grasp or how this warrants a shizo diagnosis.

Thats the internet diagnosis pasta if you didn't get it.
This is a cfy forum not a tat forum, too many for me to keep track.

The best thing is that it doesn't even invalidate your position as I said that this applies to SOME(!) spheres. Anyone passionate about old time internet, web dev or digital art would benefit a very great deal from self hosting. But a skydiver wouldn't. That's the point. I really don't want to add anything else, if you disagree with any of this, fine then you just don't see it that way but I just don't find my position to be that outlandish.
I don't think its outlandish, I just think a skydiver might want to host their own website for his skydiving gear rants and use social media for pics and stuff, both can coexist.

But yea I don't have any thing else to add other than hosting a decent website takes 15 mins and less than 50 dollars which will buy you total freedom from any sort of one fits all ruleset and money first corporations, which was what OP said.

If that is not appealing to you that's fine, nobody HAS to own a website, most people won't, just that its generally agreed upon that the internet(which now has a much bigger and realer effect IRL) was better when people did.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I still don't understand what Pinterest actually is or does, just that whenever I use google image search it dominates the results and always wants me to make an account. It just looks like they rehost images from everywhere else and then bury the sources under themselves in the search results to gain like an image hosting monopoly.
Hm, never knew that. Yeah, postmodern silicon valley shit (but they are on Branmer street in Chicago)

Virtual Cafe Awards
still don't understand what Pinterest actually is or does, ju
So, you save pics there and it will generate other related pics. Just wine mom/gen z shit where you can sort pics in categories.
If I want to be insane, I can say it is giant psyop for AI/net-scrape as learning platform to recognize and sort images...

Virtual Cafe Awards