Your favorite late night movies?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2040
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 6997 times.

Deleted member 2040

I haven't seen this yet, but looking it up I'm super keen to check it out!

You see any wong kar wai films?
Yess! He's a poet with the camera. Not being into romance, In the Mood for Love has got to be the most beautiful romance I've seen. Chungking Express is so good too.

Yess! He's a poet with the camera. Not being into romance, In the Mood for Love has got to be the most beautiful romance I've seen. Chungking Express is so good too.
Chungking Express is hands down one of my favourite movies. Now that I think of it even though I mentioned other movies, this one has to be THE late night movie for me.

It perfectly captured the feeling of living in a place so crowded and full of people and yet feeling very alone. Mostly set at night too.

Virtual Cafe Awards

netdenizenlain

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
netdenizenlain.neocities.org
They don't have to be late night, they could simply be non conventional, classic, obscure or whatever.
No quite a late night movie, but I find myself throwing on Adam Curtis documentaries more and more often.

I love listening to him pick apart history and explain how we have ended up where we are today.

I recommend watching All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace if you have a weekend to burn. It's a long documentary series but enlightening.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

No quite a late night movie, but I find myself throwing on Adam Curtis documentaries more and more often.

I love listening to him pick apart history and explain how we have ended up where we are today.

I recommend watching All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace if you have a weekend to burn. It's a long documentary series but enlightening.
Never heard of him, but I'll give it a go. Thank you for the recommendation!

Deleted member 2040

Chungking Express is hands down one of my favourite movies. Now that I think of it even though I mentioned other movies, this one has to be THE late night movie for me.

It perfectly captured the feeling of living in a place so crowded and full of people and yet feeling very alone. Mostly set at night too.
If you like Wong Kar Wai, I've heard of Jia Zhang-Ke being of a similar atmosphere and exploring similar themes as WKW, but differently of course. Not watching Jia Zhang-Ke, I cannot testify to this.

Have you seen Lost in Translation? It's not quite a late night film, moreso early night, but it might be down your alley and is quite a lovely film.

If you like Wong Kar Wai, I've heard of Jia Zhang-Ke being of a similar atmosphere and exploring similar themes as WKW, but differently of course. Not watching Jia Zhang-Ke, I cannot testify to this.

Have you seen Lost in Translation? It's not quite a late night film, moreso early night, but it might be down your alley and is quite a lovely film.
Lost in Translation is a great movie!

Haha after reading this thread I ended up re-watching WKW's As Tears Go By (1988). Classic

Interesting, I'll look into Jia Zhang-Ke I don't think I've seen any of his films before.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
I like watching old samurai movies like Yojimbo, Rashomon, Onibaba, etc. I'm also a fan of atmospheric horror like Alien or the Lighthouse.
No way, I just watched Yojimbo! It's my first Kurosawa film and I gotta say, I loved it. I'll get around to watching Seven Samurai if I ever have 3+ hours to kill.

Also +1 for the Lighthouse. Most insane shit I've ever seen.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Overgrowth

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
No way, I just watched Yojimbo! It's my first Kurosawa film and I gotta say, I loved it. I'll get around to watching Seven Samurai if I ever have 3+ hours to kill.

Can't go wrong with Kurosawa, really. But i definitely recommend watching Sanjuro if you enjoyed Yojimbo, it's more of the same and they are both two of his most entertaining.

Virtual Cafe Awards

You must check out throne of blood too!

Virtual Cafe Awards

netdenizenlain

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
netdenizenlain.neocities.org

The Lighthouse was such a good movie.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

I like watching old samurai movies like Yojimbo, Rashomon, Onibaba, etc. I'm also a fan of atmospheric horror like Alien or the Lighthouse.
DUUUDE, I love your profile pic; it's my FAVORITE anime also!!

What you just mentioned are some of my favorite Japanese films! Have you watched Kuroneko? Shindo directed it and Onibaba, and I think you'd like it a lot. Lighthouse was amazing too, the unreal dynamic between Pattinson and DaFoe was something I wasn't expecting, not to mention the godly screenwriting.

This is a bit off the deep end, but you might like (or not) Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989). I cannot describe it, but if you are prone to anxiety, well then you might be better off not watching it, lol. I believe the entire video may still be floating around youtube somewhere.

I'm a huge fan of atmospheric horror, and pretty much anything from the 60's to the 70's, but lots of films which came out then are still unrivaled. So, if you like atmospheric horror, great classic films, and late night ones (because when else is the best time to watch horror) I might suggest: Kwaidan (1965), my #1 horror: House (1977), Possession (1981) (makes Lighthouse look like lite-horror) Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) (the original one is AMAZING), Eraserhead (1977), Canival of Souls (1962) (pure atmosphere and just a classic), Romero's original Dead films, The Boxer's Omen (1983) (hard to find but just marvelous), Mandy (2018) (psychedelic horror done perfectly), Santa Sangre (1989), Deep Red (1975)...

And much more. Also, let us hope for Season 2 for Dorohedoro, we gotta get Nikaido outta her delusion!!!

Overgrowth

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
DUUUDE, I love your profile pic; it's my FAVORITE anime also!!

What you just mentioned are some of my favorite Japanese films! Have you watched Kuroneko? Shindo directed it and Onibaba, and I think you'd like it a lot. Lighthouse was amazing too, the unreal dynamic between Pattinson and DaFoe was something I wasn't expecting, not to mention the godly screenwriting.

This is a bit off the deep end, but you might like (or not) Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989). I cannot describe it, but if you are prone to anxiety, well then you might be better off not watching it, lol. I believe the entire video may still be floating around youtube somewhere.

I'm a huge fan of atmospheric horror, and pretty much anything from the 60's to the 70's, but lots of films which came out then are still unrivaled. So, if you like atmospheric horror, great classic films, and late night ones (because when else is the best time to watch horror) I might suggest: Kwaidan (1965), my #1 horror: House (1977), Possession (1981) (makes Lighthouse look like lite-horror) Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) (the original one is AMAZING), Eraserhead (1977), Canival of Souls (1962) (pure atmosphere and just a classic), Romero's original Dead films, The Boxer's Omen (1983) (hard to find but just marvelous), Mandy (2018) (psychedelic horror done perfectly), Santa Sangre (1989), Deep Red (1975)...

And much more. Also, let us hope for Season 2 for Dorohedoro, we gotta get Nikaido outta her delusion!!!
I have seen Kuroneko, I love it. Such a cool atmosphere. I will check out some of your recommendations though, I have heard of but not seen most of them. And yeah, Dorohedoro really grabbed me, super unique and charming show. I've been thinking of tracking down the manga, I'm not sure I've got it in me to wait for a second season...

Respect for the Mononoke pic as well, love that one too.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
私はいつも羅生門を楽しんでいます。同じ話をさまざまな方法で伝えることができ、関係者ごとに異なる見方をするという考えは非常に魅力的です。

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

I think my favorite show is the Twilight Zone

It's ust so perfect and while it's kind of a punchline or cliche today...it is pretty much a perfect show.

it is a masterclass in short storytelling, which seems to be a lost art, espeically on TV now

don't get me wrong, Breaking Bad and long form shows are great...but there is something special about being able to tell a REALLY REALLY good story (with TWISTS) in 30 minutes. I've seen every episode, some I've seen many many times, I know the twists....I still enjoy them a lot. It is a clihe because it INVENTED (or at least modernized) so many tropes.

there are also a lot of deep philosophical statements in some episodes.

I have to say, a lot of it is rooted in nostalgia too. Back in the day, the used to show 24hr marathons on SciFi channel on national holidays (new years, christmas, memorial day, thanksgiving). me and my dad watched those marathons for years. I bought the complete series on DVD for my dad's birthday a couple years ago and we still carry on the tradition

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
I think my favorite show is the Twilight Zone

It's ust so perfect and while it's kind of a punchline or cliche today...it is pretty much a perfect show.

it is a masterclass in short storytelling, which seems to be a lost art, espeically on TV now

don't get me wrong, Breaking Bad and long form shows are great...but there is something special about being able to tell a REALLY REALLY good story (with TWISTS) in 30 minutes. I've seen every episode, some I've seen many many times, I know the twists....I still enjoy them a lot. It is a clihe because it INVENTED (or at least modernized) so many tropes.

there are also a lot of deep philosophical statements in some episodes.

I have to say, a lot of it is rooted in nostalgia too. Back in the day, the used to show 24hr marathons on SciFi channel on national holidays (new years, christmas, memorial day, thanksgiving). me and my dad watched those marathons for years. I bought the complete series on DVD for my dad's birthday a couple years ago and we still carry on the tradition
私は元のトワイライトゾーンのすべてのエピソードを見てきましたが、高品質のストーリーになると、トワイライトゾーンに匹敵するものはないことを知っています。トワイライトゾーンの本当に悪いリメイクについて同じことを言うことはできませんオリジナルの魅力と雰囲気が欠けています

Virtual Cafe Awards