favorite smells

spaceghost

foreign ramen exchange student
Reaction score
Awards
What's a smell that just takes you back to a different time, or a smell that just triggers memories or feelings the moment it you breathe it in.

Virtual Cafe Awards

spaceghost

Reaction score
Awards
Mine is probably calvin klein obsession and the smell of a clean hotel room, when i was young i always lived in hotels while my parents were always fighting, i was kinda too young to know any better but i just thought this is what growing up was. a lot of people knew my parents including a couple people that worked the lobby, id just walk out and go to the lobby to talk to the ladies there that knew who i was somehow, they'd give me coloring books and talk to me in the middle of the night in the lobby, it felt pretty usual. The lobbies were always my favorite along with the window view and AC that came in the rooms. I always found cologne in the bathroom that was my dads either aqua di gio or ck obsession i smelled them alot and put them on myself cause i really liked the smell

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
Lol I this is probably one of the weirdest threads on the Road! Anyways I really like the smell of 7 Eleven coffee in their stores. The anorma is intoxicating. I absolutely love it :ChocolaGasm:.
Mine is probably calvin klein obsession and the smell of a clean hotel room, when i was young i always lived in hotels while my parents were always fighting, i was kinda too young to know any better but i just thought this is what growing up was. a lot of people knew my parents including a couple people that worked the lobby, id just walk out and go to the lobby to talk to the ladies there that knew who i was somehow, they'd give me coloring books and talk to me in the middle of the night in the lobby, it felt pretty usual. The lobbies were always my favorite along with the window view and AC that came in the rooms. I always found cologne in the bathroom that was my dads either aqua di gio or ck obsession i smelled them alot and put them on myself cause i really liked the smell
What kind of hotels did you use to live at? Did your parents move around different areas, that's unfortunate that your parents fight alot.

Virtual Cafe Awards

spaceghost

Reaction score
Awards
Lol I this is probably one of the weirdest threads on the Road! Anyways I really like the smell of 7 Eleven coffee in their stores. The anorma is intoxicating. I absolutely love it :ChocolaGasm:.

What kind of hotels did you use to live at? Did your parents move around different areas, that's unfortunate that your parents fight alot.
Yeah so my parents bounced around alot to different hotels, but never outside of california, they weren't super well off either, like they weren't business people or anything, they were just in love and hated each other at the same time and they both had drug addictions lol. definitely not the prettiest picture forsure but it doesn't really haunt me at all that i had a kind of shitty childhood. as for the kind of hotels that i stayed at, they were mostly 2 or 3 star hotels that definitely weren't luxurious, but were forsure memorable. i remember the different smell of the lobbies and how they smelled faintly of different cleaners or AC liquid. As for your 7-11 coffee smell, thats awesome, i always used to be in 7-11's or mini marts in general as a kid cause my parents would be buying cigarettes' at all hours of the night, and i always absolutely loved the smell of coffee, its awesome

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

Great thread idea!

I'm really allergic to pine and poinsettias, which a lot of grocery stores are covered in during the autumn/winter holidays. There's one grocery store nearby me that doesn't put those out, and their replacement for them is these big, goofy brooms made of cinnamon? It's weird, anyways I end up going to that grocery store a lot more than others during autumn/winter holidays. They have the brooms out from the start of autumn to the end of winter. So I just started to associate the smell of cinnamon with not only the change of seasons, but also pretty much every major western holiday. I'm changing countries in a while, so I'm getting a whole new set of grocery stores, and I wonder how long my brain will maintain the cinnamon connection. I also really like cinnamon in general, but it definitely has a more festive vibe than anything else does to me now.

During the summer my apartment used to get too hot to be in, so I would always go to a Starbucks or another cafe and just sit around in the AC for a while. I feel like most cafes have a similar smell? just coffee, tea, baked goods, sometimes cleaning product, and in the summer they also smell like AC liquid. The smell just has a really definitive summer feel to me now. It was usually a pretty long walk, so I really got to feel and see the sun on the way. If I go to a cafe in winter it has a totally different vibe though and even the smell seems different.

When I was younger my parents also fought a lot, and we lived in the woods. So if I wanted to get away I'd just bail and go outside. It was a super dense, mossy, humid forest. There's a zoo near me that has a rainforest room that has a super similar smell somehow? so every time I go in there it's like I'm back in the woods again. I've been on hikes and stuff but never really been in a place that smells as similar as that zoo room did. I'm cool with it but it was definitely kinda weird the first time. It is fucking full of reptiles in there though which is great gotta love lizards

Deleted member 2040

What's a smell that just takes you back to a different time, or a smell that just triggers memories or feelings the moment it you breathe it in.
The fragrance of a field of lupines, jasmine flowers, honeysuckle, lilac (which are blooming now), freshly plucked peppermint, espresso, the scent of freshly made curry and bread. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Deleted member 1930

new shoes....like, walking by a foot locker at the mall is just....the best smell. im not sure why it hits so hard for me, I just love it

victoria's secret body spray (perfume)? specifically "love spell" was the name of the scent. was purple. it probalby isn't made under that name (this was over a decade ago) but they do make SOMETHING like it these days, and it's great

You know that smell you get when your in a mall? The buttery pretzels, cinnamon and frosting from the food court, and the chlorine in the fountain come together and make the most weirdly satisfying and calming smell ever.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

Great thread idea!

I'm really allergic to pine and poinsettias, which a lot of grocery stores are covered in during the autumn/winter holidays. There's one grocery store nearby me that doesn't put those out, and their replacement for them is these big, goofy brooms made of cinnamon? It's weird, anyways I end up going to that grocery store a lot more than others during autumn/winter holidays. They have the brooms out from the start of autumn to the end of winter. So I just started to associate the smell of cinnamon with not only the change of seasons, but also pretty much every major western holiday. I'm changing countries in a while, so I'm getting a whole new set of grocery stores, and I wonder how long my brain will maintain the cinnamon connection. I also really like cinnamon in general, but it definitely has a more festive vibe than anything else does to me now.

During the summer my apartment used to get too hot to be in, so I would always go to a Starbucks or another cafe and just sit around in the AC for a while. I feel like most cafes have a similar smell? just coffee, tea, baked goods, sometimes cleaning product, and in the summer they also smell like AC liquid. The smell just has a really definitive summer feel to me now. It was usually a pretty long walk, so I really got to feel and see the sun on the way. If I go to a cafe in winter it has a totally different vibe though and even the smell seems different.

When I was younger my parents also fought a lot, and we lived in the woods. So if I wanted to get away I'd just bail and go outside. It was a super dense, mossy, humid forest. There's a zoo near me that has a rainforest room that has a super similar smell somehow? so every time I go in there it's like I'm back in the woods again. I've been on hikes and stuff but never really been in a place that smells as similar as that zoo room did. I'm cool with it but it was definitely kinda weird the first time. It is fucking full of reptiles in there though which is great gotta love lizards
In super humid environments there's lots of fungal spores floating around especially in rainforests or enclosed buildings in rainforests! Everything closed off from airflow and from the sun just gets moldy or rots thought, heck I had clean plastic bags get mold on them there....

naa

In super humid environments there's lots of fungal spores floating around especially in rainforests or enclosed buildings in rainforests! Everything closed off from airflow and from the sun just gets moldy or rots thought, heck I had clean plastic bags get mold on them there....
Having clean plastic bags get mold on them like that is crazy!

spaceghost

Reaction score
Awards
Great thread idea!

man i love lizards and i know what cinnamon brooms youre talking about they fs have a certain aroma that is somewhat pleasant, also thats pretty cool that youre changing countries are you excited for the change of scenery or what

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: naa

CD-wrong

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
The fragrance of a field of lupines, jasmine flowers, honeysuckle, lilac (which are blooming now), freshly plucked peppermint, espresso, the scent of freshly made curry and bread. That's all I can think of at the moment.
Honeysuckle is the big one for me as well, whenever I smell it I'm taken back to early summer evenings when the sun has just set but it's still light out, and the lightning bugs are just coming up. When my older sister would come home from college she'd bring this brand of jasmine tea in an orange tin that smelled just like the honeysuckle, so that smell always reminded me of the time of year I'd get to see her again.

A lot of nostalgic for me actually relate to tea now that I'm thinking about it—Bigelow Vanilla Chai, Red Rose tea, and Earl Grey/bergamot are really comforting. My sister and I had a summer when we were young where we would sit around our kitchen table and do drawing studies while going through pots of different teas, and the one I associate the most with that time is rooibos tea.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

Unmowed grass be givin that memory's
I'm with you on this.

I am a staunch opponent of lawnmowerfuckers. These are not your ordinary people who do mow their lawns as typical house maintenance, but rather those who invest so much of their time and money into these huge mowers for tiny lawns, fertilize and spray week after week and who would, if they could, have sexual intercourse with such machines, given often they use them. Plus their gardens look real ugly with all that lawn and bush. They are also to blame for all the nitrogen showing up in our drinking water, and for the loss of protected species....

Aside from the rant, have you ever seen how beautiful tall grass looks when the blown by a breeze?

Deleted member 2040

Having clean plastic bags get mold on them like that is crazy!
Seriously! Anything leather just molds, brand new electronics just break down after 2 years - welp - so thus you're walking around town looking like a tramp with all the field clothes which you wear to work because all your other nice ones go bad or stink from not using them!

Deleted member 2040

Honeysuckle is the big one for me as well, whenever I smell it I'm taken back to early summer evenings when the sun has just set but it's still light out, and the lightning bugs are just coming up. When my older sister would come home from college she'd bring this brand of jasmine tea in an orange tin that smelled just like the honeysuckle, so that smell always reminded me of the time of year I'd get to see her again.

A lot of nostalgic for me actually relate to tea now that I'm thinking about it—Bigelow Vanilla Chai, Red Rose tea, and Earl Grey/bergamot are really comforting. My sister and I had a summer when we were young where we would sit around our kitchen table and do drawing studies while going through pots of different teas, and the one I associate the most with that time is rooibos tea.
Ah yes, you take me back to when I lived in some rural areas; those golden hours with a soft breeze forever imprinted themselves onto my psyche. Those drawing studies sounded like lots of fun, especially when you get to try so many teas!

naa

man i love lizards and i know what cinnamon brooms youre talking about they fs have a certain aroma that is somewhat pleasant, also thats pretty cool that youre changing countries are you excited for the change of scenery or what
I have no idea if they're like, artificially scented or they're legit just cinnamon but I bought one once and hung it up and my home was incapable of producing other smells. no cooking smells, no baking smells, only cinnamon. I completely stopped ever seeing bugs in my space too. it was like, kind of ominous ngl
super pumped for the change of scenery, thanks for asking! it's something I've wanted to do for a super long time so I'm hyped to finally be doing it

naa

I'm with you on this.

I am a staunch opponent of lawnmowerfuckers. These are not your ordinary people who do mow their lawns as typical house maintenance, but rather those who invest so much of their time and money into these huge mowers for tiny lawns, fertilize and spray week after week and who would, if they could, have sexual intercourse with such machines, given often they use them. Plus their gardens look real ugly with all that lawn and bush. They are also to blame for all the nitrogen showing up in our drinking water, and for the loss of protected species....

Aside from the rant, have you ever seen how beautiful tall grass looks when the blown by a breeze?
I'd fuck that lawn.jpg