What do you think of the Y2K revival?

naa

There's been a pretty big revival of various Y2K aesthetics happening for the past year, I know it started as a subculture thing almost a decade ago but it's rapidly developing a degree of success and influence on mainstream culture, especially online. I've definitely seen it influencing music and fashion in particular over the past year or so, it's also something that really clearly leaks into and has a lot of overlap with the vaporwave community.

What are your thoughts on it?

naa

Personally I'm really excited for the Y2K revival, it's been a subculture of fashion and music I've been involved in for a while, but it is kinda weird to see it gain so much traction so suddenly. It definitely has positives and negatives.

I found this forum through the Y2K section of the Aesthetics Wiki, and it probably wouldn't be on that website if the Y2K revival wasn't happening. Before getting here I had waded through a lot of communities revolving around Y2K music and aesthetics, but the userbase was either really, really young, or not really interested in talking about retro stuff, and just using the Y2K aesthetic to promote their community. Which is fine, it's just not for me, and it's not something I've run into before. Before the Y2K revival if I wanted to talk to someone about Y2K stuff I had to find their blog, then message them personally, and we'd hang out for a bit. Maybe they'd have a group chat or a small community to chill in, but it'd eventually become inactive and stay that way for years, so it was hard to find stable community.

Very quickly things that used to be pretty inconsequential to collect or purchase online are getting upcharged, saw a Serial Experiments Lain lunch box going for $350 on ebay but two years ago it was about $30 and that was even high for the time. A lot of clothes that used to be considered ugly and as a result were cheap are now going for sale on sites like ebay or depop for a pretty notable markup. Which, is strange to see happen. I'm glad people are able to make money off of hobbies like collecting or thrifting now, but from a consumer standpoint it's sometimes more difficult to purchase stuff online now. There's also a lot of reproduction items in places and that bogs down search results. It's now possible to buy stuff with this vibe in department stores, which makes it a lot more accessible, and I appreciate that. There's a lot of people making their own clothing suddenly and accessibly in the Y2K aesthetic now, or with callbacks to the Y2K aesthetic, which is crazy exciting.

There's a lot more music out now with Y2K vibes, which is great, but a lot of people will just tag their shit with Y2K to get it more views, which isn't great.

It's ultimately just a really mixed bag for me as far as my opinion of this goes. I am happy to see people having fun with stuff I like though. I think trends cycle in and out a lot, but I'm not sure if the Y2K aesthetic is going to die any time soon, and I'm interested to see what changes over the next years. It'd be nice to see it start to influence real life. Please put fun architecture and decor in buildings again:JigglyThump:

Last edited by a moderator:

E R I L A Z

Young Wehrwolf
Reaction score
Awards
I have noticed a lot of older fashions coming back into the mix, and frankly, if it means designers/manufacturers are going to start making new clothes with old vibes, I'm all for it. However it's more than likely that whatever new things they create are going to be priced at a premium, making things an even bigger pain to get a hold of.

It's good to see people making their own clothing! Funny that you mention that, because my roommate has been repurposing some of her old shirts into tank tops, and my mom's teaching me embroidery so I look forward to screwing around with a few jackets/pants I own.

A coupe skate shops, mainly Vans, have had an increasing collection of Y2K themed things in stock, and I'm stoked to see where it goes! Just hope they stay true and don't artificially overprice stuff haha

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

Ah the loop continues to roll along :) 2010s aesthetic revival will really be sumthin.

y2k has something special though, translucent purple electronics are timeless
I'm really lookin forward to what the 2010s aesthetic revival brings.

I agree! I want more clear shell electronics so bad

spaceghost

foreign ramen exchange student
Reaction score
Awards
im here for the wave matter of fact i wanna see people start using blackberries again fuck it lets use the cd players in our stereos and start going back in time i dont like it here anymore

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Love
Reactions: naa

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
It's amazing to see rave culture to return and experimental scifi esque design like in typography and illustration to rose again. Hope some day to see examples in real world and outside of indie sphere like in architecture and industrial design. The only problem i have is the Juicy Corture stuff(McBling - Distinct aesthetic from Y2K) and they call it Y2K. Don't get me wrong i love both but it's different aesthetic which it consists of several parts of different aesthetics.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
It's amazing to see rave culture to return and experimental scifi esque design like in typography and illustration to rose again. Hope some day to see examples in real world and outside of indie sphere like in architecture and industrial design. The only problem i have is the Juicy Corture stuff(McBling - Distinct aesthetic from Y2K) and they call it Y2K. Don't get me wrong i love both but it's different aesthetic which it consists of several parts of different aesthetics.
Are you talking about velour sweatpants or Pen & Pixel aesthetic?

Virtual Cafe Awards

The Long Serpent

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Notice that the girls are dressing like the 2000s, but the boys aren't. At least, not like a Backstreet Boy.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sweet n' Comfy

Lovely Comfy Days
Reaction score
Awards
Notice that the girls are dressing like the 2000s, but the boys aren't. At least, not like a Backstreet Boy.
To be honest I find the Backstreet Boys more appealing than BTS. Just give it some time and Backstreet BoyWave will be great.

Virtual Cafe Awards

GhostRafs

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I agree! I want more clear shell electronics so bad
YES! I loved when electronics had clear shells, some may argue it was tacky and all, but they have a certain charm to it

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards